Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Episodes 12 and 13 have been recorded and are cooking right now, so this thing should be 100% back on track by the end of the week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
I'm so sorry.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Nice to have you back UZworm. Glad you're feeling much better.
Are you up to LPing this maddening game? Maybe you should spend a few moments bashing Sven's skull in before proceeding.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: NEW UPDATE! :siren:

The LP is finally back in full!

Let's Play Skyrim Episode 12: Mr. Puffles' Wall of Text

I honestly don't know if this is the best video in the LP or the worst video in the LP. Festivore, Iron Chitlin and Loco are causing horrible bouts of madness. I sing multiple songs from Mr. Puffles' hit album, Jora (one on purpose!). We learn the technical medical term "smokehole".

To be fair, we had to delve into madness to stave off all this loving dialogue.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

UZworm posted:

We learn the technical medical term "stoma".
:science:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Puffles once got tricked by three goats when he tried to extort them when crossing a bridge.

You can also shout at rains of fire to stop. Such as in the beginning of the game when Alduin shows up and ruins your execution. If you had the shout at that point of course.

UZworm posted:

I honestly don't know if this is the best video in the LP or the worst video in the LP.

UZworm posted:

I sing multiple songs from Mr. Puffles' hit album, Jora (one on purpose!).

UZworm posted:

I honestly know this is the best video in the LP
:allears:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fun fact, first time I got to this segment, I somehow managed to get my arrow to point me to Paarthurnax without first going through the greybeards. With a mild bit of cold resistance, I was able to get up the mountain without any damage and occasionally stumbling, only to be rewarded with an invincible dragon that I couldn't kill.

Glad to have your angelic voice back, UZWorm.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 12, 2016

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Ramos posted:

Glad to have your angelic voice back, UZWorm.

Speaking of which, have a full song from the album.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
A McGuffin has no purpose to the narrative other than to cause characters to do things because of it. The Elder Scroll in this game isn't a McGuffin because it is actually used for something. If the pursuit of the Scroll was used to advance the plot without it ever being used for anything then it'd merely be a plot device.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

White Coke posted:

A McGuffin has no purpose to the narrative other than to cause characters to do things because of it. The Elder Scroll in this game isn't a McGuffin because it is actually used for something. If the pursuit of the Scroll was used to advance the plot without it ever being used for anything then it'd merely be a plot device.

I love being right on technicalities!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Who's the guy who said that he hates how the dragon talks? That dragon is Charles Martinet.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Welcome back, UZWorm. The song was glorious...the Skyrim plot, less so.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:stonklol: What is this LP even anymore

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Fish Noise posted:

:stonklol: What is this LP even anymore

It's an excuse for me to make Lady Gaga parodies, which instantly makes it my favorite LP I've ever done.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Gimbal lock posted:

Who's the guy who said that he hates how the dragon talks? That dragon is Charles Martinet.

In my defense, my complaint was lodged more against the way he was written, rather than the voice actor himself. The way they constantly interject dragon language and then explain what the word means with the very next word is just beyond pointless. To say nothing of the way the conversation itself drones on for about 8 minutes longer than it needs to.

Also who is Charles Martinet and why should I care?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Iron Chitlin posted:

Also who is Charles Martinet and why should I care?

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

Iron Chitlin posted:

In my defense, my complaint was lodged more against the way he was written, rather than the voice actor himself. The way they constantly interject dragon language and then explain what the word means with the very next word is just beyond pointless. To say nothing of the way the conversation itself drones on for about 8 minutes longer than it needs to.

I'm with Chitlin on that. It's a tired fantasy trope that really has no business in anything anymore. It's okay to not understand every single word, guys. That's what context clues are for.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

On an entirely different note, whatever happened to skooma anyway? We hardly see it mentioned these days at all :(

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

evilmiera posted:

On an entirely different note, whatever happened to skooma anyway? We hardly see it mentioned these days at all :(

Skooma is just a reskinned stamina potion in this game.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
You know what we haven't had in here in a bit? A good old fashioned thread vote! And since we've now met Paarthurnax I think this one is obvious.

A bit later into the game, we're going to be presented with a choice. Kill Paarthurnax or Don't kill Paarthurnax. We're going to piss off either the Blades or the Greybeards depending on our choice there, so choose wisely. But vote on whether you want our new droning dragon friend to stay alive or you want his skull to meet Mr. Puffles' hammer.

Also yes, even though it does make a few appearances in Skyrim it is pretty lame that Skooma is literally just a low-grade stamina potion with no ill side effects to it if you take it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UZworm posted:

You know what we haven't had in here in a bit? A good old fashioned thread vote! And since we've now met Paarthurnax I think this one is obvious.

A bit later into the game, we're going to be presented with a choice. Kill Paarthurnax or Don't kill Paarthurnax. We're going to piss off either the Blades or the Greybeards depending on our choice there, so choose wisely. But vote on whether you want our new droning dragon friend to stay alive or you want his skull to meet Mr. Puffles' hammer.

Also yes, even though it does make a few appearances in Skyrim it is pretty lame that Skooma is literally just a low-grade stamina potion with no ill side effects to it if you take it.

Don't Kill, it's the laziest way out as well and Mister Puffles already has enough dragons to kill on his schedule as it is :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't kill Paarthwhatshisname. Kill the blades instead. drat obnoxious jerks.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

UZworm posted:

Kill Paarthurnax. It's Skyrim, murder is always the correct answer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

White Coke posted:

I have played far enough into this game to get it but I don't remember what it does at all, so what does it do?

UZworm posted:

He's a tedious exposition dump, kill him.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I say you kill him. Skyrim is supposed to be about killing dragons, and Paarthurnax is a dragon. It's an easy choice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't Kill him. He sounds extremely old and god only knows how much health he must have. He'd probably be worse than that frost troll. It's not worth it.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm voting for Don't Kill. The blades are way less cool in this game and I wish they weren't essential so you could kill them for being so annoying.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but
I didn't really like the Blades in Oblivion, and I definitely don't like them here. Let the scaly flying ent live. Just don't talk to him.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Don't kill him. It means pissing off the blades and that's always great.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Don't Kill Him. In fact I think you don't even have to make the decision if you complete the Civil War.

Tiggum posted:

I have played far enough into this game to get it but I don't remember what it does at all, so what does it do?

You use it so you can look back in time and learn Dragonrend.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Don't kill him. That dude is like the one reasonable individual in all of Skyrim.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Don't kill PaarthuMario. I kind'a like the scaly wossisname.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Twiggymouse posted:

Just don't talk to him.
Yes. We can gag him with the mother off all hairballs soaked in skooma but let's keep him alive.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

White Coke posted:

Don't Kill Him. In fact I think you don't even have to make the decision if you complete the Civil War.

I don't believe it forces you to take the quest, but killing him is still an option!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

UZworm posted:

I don't believe it forces you to take the quest, but killing him is still an option!

Oh. Okay then. Surely there are plenty of other NPCs you can satiate your skooma withdrawal on.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

White Coke posted:

[...] to cause characters to do things because of it.
[...] to advance the plot without it ever being used for anything.

What's the distinction here? They seem very similar.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let Paarthunax live because he is awesome and the personality and speech quirks are part of his charm.

I also felt really awful after I killed him once I got back to High Hrothgar and had to endure Arngeir bawling me out for what I did.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

UZworm posted:

I just checked this and it is indeed true. Talking to Esburn will give you the quest regardless of whether or not Season Unending happened.

In other news, if anyone wants me to kill him you need to chime in, Don't is winning by a landslide right now!

And in other other news, anyone who has been waiting for horrible, crippling bugs to hit my playthrough is going to LOVE video 15.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm catching up on this LP bit by bit. I'm watching Mr. Puffles die repeatedly to a frost troll and my reaction is WHY ARE THOSE ARROWS NOT POISONED :gonk: Seriously, you picked the worst possible way to kill the drat thing. I'm playing a dark elf mage right now and she just roasts those sumbitches with fire magic while sculling magicka potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Don't kill him. Also, he glitched out on me too, but kept talking. However I could only hear every few words, because when he spazzed out he went all over the place. Nothing stops him from talking, not even glitches.

• Locked thread