Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Roland Jones posted:

Topic of VR mech games, I remember seeing something about one with mechs more like what you'd see in Heavy Gear. I think it was based off of an older cartoon or anime or something? It was a while ago and I don't remember which thread it was in; does anyone remember that? It might have been some thing at an arcade or game center rather than a thing you can buy just yet, too, I'm not sure.

It was Votoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I just want VR zoids, from the cockpit perspective.

go liger mcgimmick!

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I have been playing with my Rift 'n Touch, but wanted a longer cord for the headset. Here is what has worked for me. I am using a GTX970 and connecting the Rift via HDMI.

I bought 3 of these 10ft usb3 cords (One for each of my two sensor and one for the Rift).
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7SA21U (The blue cables are $1.50 cheaper)

Then I bought a basic rear end 10ft hdmi cord, but the HDMI signal wasn't strong enough to reach the Rift, so I also bought a signal repeater that attaches to where the 10ft HDMI cable connects to the Rift's.
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8T0YQ (A Two pack of cords is like 50 cents more if you want an extra cable for whatever)
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHL72XS (Might be cheaper elsewhere, I don't know)

Ziptied everything together and so far its worked flawlessly outside of the usual VR quirks.

Ceive fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 11, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even though it is short, I Expect You To Die is very good and somewhat replayable. The puzzles are spoiled since you already know how to do them but there's a challenge to do them quickly and also challenges to do certain actions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally got a chance to sit down (so to speak) and play The Unspoken in the Vive

Pros:
- Easily* the best loving game on either the Rift or Vive (works perfectly in ReVive) so far, way better than SPT, buy it right now (this counts for like five)

Cons:
- Virtually no single player
- Oh my loving god that flaming screaming skull coming at your face is terrifying, I literally tore off my Vive to get away and I'm not making that up

* maybe behind audioshield. maybe

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
After a lot of moving furniture, designing & 3d printing camera mounts I have a ~5mx3m area for VR and it's the best:

Need that third camera to improve occlusion issues for sure though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Onward gets more fun every time I play it. Takes me back to when I used to play Counter Strike on de_dust.

It's funny, everyone is shocked if I mention I'm playing on a Rift. Nobody seems to know it has 360/roomscale capabilities.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's pretty cool how well touch games work through ReVive, everything maps pretty elegantly. Worth fiddling around with now if you have a Vive but haven't touched any Oculus stuff yet.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Just finished Superhot. loving hell that was amazing, I feel like I've done a million squats. Stealing guns and blaming faces is the boss!

Goes straight to the top of the list to show mates.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That was it, thanks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

FormatAmerica posted:

After a lot of moving furniture, designing & 3d printing camera mounts I have a ~5mx3m area for VR and it's the best:

Need that third camera to improve occlusion issues for sure though.

How much of a pain in the rear end was it to get everything working? Could you plop down your camera setup in a different space/room and get that working in VR without too much trouble?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If I want to play superhot on the vive with revive do I have to buy it through the oculus store or can I get it on steam?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Aphex- posted:

If I want to play superhot on the vive with revive do I have to buy it through the oculus store or can I get it on steam?

Oculus store. My understanding is that there is a timed exclusivity and eventually it will be on Steam, at which point you won't need to use Revive at all.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lucid Dream posted:

Oculus store. My understanding is that there is a timed exclusivity and eventually it will be on Steam, at which point you won't need to use Revive at all.

Poo. Guess I'll wait then. Don't feel like fracturing my game library even more when I know a Vive version will be on steam in the future.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Just went on a VR binge this weekend with my new Touch. I wanted to directly compare it to the Vive but one of the lighthouses died and I had to go through the HTC repair process. Getting the RMA wasn't that bad, I was pleasantly surprised by the chat app they have on their web site.

Back to Touch I played through Arizona Sunshine, SuperHot, and most of I Expect You To Die. I went with the recommended two forward facing cameras for the Touch and that made Arizona annoying to play compared to the Vive because I spin like a top with that game. Still a fantastic experience if you like teleportation movement. I will never get tired of using their pistols to head shot zombies.

SuperHot is super hot. I never felt like such a bad rear end and probably never looked stupider. It was mostly made to keep you facing forward so the loss of tracking I had with Arizona was never an issue.

I love I Expect you To Die. I loved the intro credits, which is amazing, because I typically hate the standard James Bond movie intro. Absolutely made to just sit down like a boss and use the touch controllers. Very relaxing in comparison to the other two games, despite your life being constantly threatened (and ended).

The one complaint I have against all three is Super Hot is super short, Arizona is pretty short for the money, and so is IEYTD. Not that I care, I will happily go on paying the cash for these kinds of experiences but it's kind of a shock to go from the deal filled regular pc gaming market to VR.

I still greatly prefer the Rift headset to the Vive but the Touch controller is surprisingly not that much better than the Vive wands. It is absolutely better in pretty much every way but it doesn't turn into such an enormous advantage when actually playing games. Maybe later if more titles use the finger detection I guess, but for now the one important thing both controllers nail is the perfect tracking (when in the camera field of view of course).

Vive vs Rift Room scale is pretty complicated. I wouldn't rate one as clearly better than the other and I think a case could be made for either to win. In the end though I found I like the Vive better. It's much more of a pain to set up the first time but once it's installed properly it just works. Drawing a room with the Vive was a lot better than the Rift. The Vive is just amazing with occlusion and keeping track of the controllers, where as the Rift felt weaker.

With that said I don't like the lighthouse dual spinning laser lights, that just seems very delicate and a recipe for failure which has just born out in reality for me. New research seems to indicate they can possibly move to 1 spinning laser instead of two so I expect this to improve but for now the Rift feels much more like a sturdy consumer product.

Going to check out the Climb next. The whole idea of that game isn't very appealing but I picked it up anyways because of the good reviews and Touch integration.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end was it to get everything working? Could you plop down your camera setup in a different space/room and get that working in VR without too much trouble?

I think that's one of the best things about the rift: the setup is astonishingly easy.

To move from computer room to living room I:

- Moved the computer, cameras, rift
-Ran room setup which includes two steps:

Stand in center of room, position cameras on screen according to how they are physically positioned in real life and confirm.

Set guardian area which entails walking around the room with one controller.

It takes fewer than 3 minutes to set it up, for sure.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Gendal posted:

Just went on a VR binge this weekend with my new Touch. I wanted to directly compare it to the Vive but one of the lighthouses died and I had to go through the HTC repair process. Getting the RMA wasn't that bad, I was pleasantly surprised by the chat app they have on their web site.

Do you have three cameras, or only two? And how much worse were the occlusion issues for room-scale, compared to the Vive?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I made a LDJam Comp entry for Roomscale VR (Vive and possibly Rift+Touch).

https://beep2bleep.itch.io/red-and-blue
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-37/?action=preview&uid=12112
Gameplay Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77fUFlr8hEw

Please give any feedback anywhere you can. I've been interested in making a Roomscale bullet hell since playing Xortex so I might continue.

I think the whole two controller/color thing might actually be too much to keep track of while playing. I think one controller for the ship like Xortex 26xx with the second controller doing something else might be best.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Do you have three cameras, or only two? And how much worse were the occlusion issues for room-scale, compared to the Vive?
Only two. They were in the recommended forward facing Touch configuration. Not really a room scale setup. I have heard good things about just using 2 directly opposed cameras but I haven't tried it - the USB cable would be a major pain in the arse in my setup, a garage. I am thinking you could get by with just 2 cameras but you would really want 3.

The amusing thing is with one lightouse broken the Vive acts pretty much like my Touch, but a bit better. I had fewer occlusion issues with the Vive and one lighthouse than i did with the Touch and two cameras (again, both forward facing). I think the Touch would trounce the broken Vive if I moved the cameras to opposing but I am not going to bother with that.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

My touch controllers are stuck at the UPS center all day while I'm at work, with the estimated delivery time being tomorrow. So....close.....

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The two opposing Touch sensors is fine like 85-90% of the time for me. I was playing Arizona Sunshine and Onward last night and only had a few times where my hand lost tracking. I have a third sensor on its way.

I occasionally do get some weird tracking issues when It seems like they should be fine. Waiting to see if a third camera completely irons this out. Someone on Reddit put in a ticket and the response from Oculus seemed to indicate that they are pushing out a software update soon that might address this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm thinking about taking my Vive down to my parents' place for Christmas to show the family. What's everyone's favorite portable lighthouse mounting system?

I like the shower rod style setups that basically wedge between the floor and the ceiling because they seem like they'd be more stable than tripods, but my parents moved since I was last down there and I have no idea what kind of area I'll be able to set up in. A high or angled ceiling could be a problem for the shower rods.

Is there any such thing as a shower rod / tripod combo, where the floor end either has deployable tripod legs or could thread in to a base of some sort?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
My 3rd sensor is in my city with expected delivery of tomorrow.

I'm considering getting extension cables for the HMD now even though I don't really have the room to move around all that much. Something that reroutes my hdmi/usb3 to the front would be sufficient i think.

Hell i could probably get away with just an HDMI extender if i use my front usb3.0 port.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

I'm thinking about taking my Vive down to my parents' place for Christmas to show the family. What's everyone's favorite portable lighthouse mounting system?

I like the shower rod style setups that basically wedge between the floor and the ceiling because they seem like they'd be more stable than tripods, but my parents moved since I was last down there and I have no idea what kind of area I'll be able to set up in. A high or angled ceiling could be a problem for the shower rods.

Is there any such thing as a shower rod / tripod combo, where the floor end either has deployable tripod legs or could thread in to a base of some sort?

FYI you don't need to mount or place the lighthouses high. The main reason they suggest it is that it makes it less likely if someone else steps into the area they won't occlude (block) the line of sight between a lighthouse and the headset/controller. If it's just you in a play space you could even put the lighthouses on the ground.

The key is 1. They don't move 2. Nothing blocks them from the headset and controllers. This is easiest done mounted tilted down high.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Stick100 posted:

FYI you don't need to mount or place the lighthouses high. The main reason they suggest it is that it makes it less likely if someone else steps into the area they won't occlude (block) the line of sight between a lighthouse and the headset/controller. If it's just you in a play space you could even put the lighthouses on the ground.

The key is 1. They don't move 2. Nothing blocks them from the headset and controllers. This is easiest done mounted tilted down high.

You also might need to use the sync cable because your body could block line of sight between the lighthouses.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

w00tazn posted:

My 3rd sensor is in my city with expected delivery of tomorrow.

I'm considering getting extension cables for the HMD now even though I don't really have the room to move around all that much. Something that reroutes my hdmi/usb3 to the front would be sufficient i think.

Hell i could probably get away with just an HDMI extender if i use my front usb3.0 port.

Do you know how far you can reliably extend sensors? I'm thinking about running a cord for a third but it would have to be pretty long.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://www.insomniacgames.com/unspoken-arcane-updates/

Looks like they've got some pretty neat updates in the works. Besides new classes and maps and stuff, there this:

quote:

Soon, we’ll release better ways to watch and stream The Unspoken. The spectator mode shows all-seeing views of the duel, with an information overlay for informed viewing. And integrated streaming tools grant the power to communicate with those in thrall.

I think streaming and video is a big way that vr can spread and better tools to do that would be cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lemming posted:

http://www.insomniacgames.com/unspoken-arcane-updates/

Looks like they've got some pretty neat updates in the works. Besides new classes and maps and stuff, there this:

I think streaming and video is a big way that vr can spread and better tools to do that would be cool.

I was considering putting up a stream of The Unspoken yesterday to show people how loving rad it is, then I realized how much of a ballache managing OBS while wearing a headset and navigating the strangely murky (for me) waters of ReVive would be, so I didn't

Glad to see they're actively supporting and updating the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My only complaint about that game right now (besides the lack of single player) is that there needs to be at least a little bit of ingame documentation, like the differences between each classes' shields (both normal and Guard) and what each level's summons do

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2016

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
From what I've played so far Superhot really is the killer 'app' for VR right now. You feel like you're a god damned agent in the Matrix, it's absolutely incredible.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Do you know how far you can reliably extend sensors? I'm thinking about running a cord for a third but it would have to be pretty long.

Not sure but they're bundling a usb 2.0 extension cable for the 3rd camera they (recommend plugging it in via usb 2 for bandwidth reasons) So not sure how long that can be without issues.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

w00tazn posted:

I'm considering getting extension cables for the HMD now even though I don't really have the room to move around all that much.

I think it's a very nice thing to have with the slight disadvantage of then having the cable around underfoot instead of always sort of hanging midair back toward the computer.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BMan posted:

You also might need to use the sync cable because your body could block line of sight between the lighthouses.

True you'd have to use the sync cable and switch the mode if they were both low. I've seen setups where one was high and the other one was on a desk and it worked fine but you're right they need to see each other.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

From what I've played so far Superhot really is the killer 'app' for VR right now. You feel like you're a god damned agent in the Matrix, it's absolutely incredible.

If I already own SUPER.HOT. on Steam can I play it in VR on the Vive? Or do I have to do some other sort of chicanery?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ciaphas posted:

If I already own SUPER.HOT. on Steam can I play it in VR on the Vive? Or do I have to do some other sort of chicanery?

I believe this is a new game built around VR, so you'd probably have to pay again. I can't confirm, though, as I bought this through the Oculus storefront.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

You have to rebuy it on the Oculus store. That's the only way to play it in VR. Then you could theoretically use revive to play it.

No idea how long this will be true for.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Wonder what the chances are that they will give a steam key to people who buy Super Hot on the Oculus store once the timed exclusive is over. I really want to try it, but I'd like to keep all my games in one location.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Has there been anything thats been on the Oculus store that has given a steam key with purchase? I know virtual desktop has given an Oculus key when bought on steam... but thats the only "cross platform" game I'm aware of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Super hot vr is a separate game.

^^^^ Oculus encourages people to give people oculus keys to steam buyers. I think valve tolerates it but isn't excited about here.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, it's generally the other way around-if you purchase on Steam some developers will give you an Oculus Home key. I can't think of any game where it's worked in the opposite direction.