Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xae posted:

The system they use for Lords blows in general. I don't want to manage equipment slots, a huge retinue and skills for each guy.

You're going to end up with like 8-10 of those guys, total, in an entire long campaign, and the vast majority will be played with 2-4 depending on faction. I think it's okay for them to have a little fiddliness to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Corrode posted:

I think Beastmen is the only time I've ever bothered getting Lightning Strike. It seems a bit overrated.

It's really good for WoC too. If I'm playing VC as Papa Vlad I'll get it for him as well as the +ambush skill in the blue line to make him a hellish super ambusher.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Corrode posted:

I think Beastmen is the only time I've ever bothered getting Lightning Strike. It seems a bit overrated.

Compared to what? Not sure what other talent is as good as letting you fight a blob one stack at a time.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Time Commanders just finished: to be brief, they changed the format up just enough to be interesting, the battle was solid and it was a good show all around. Pity there's only three in the season - it's as enjoyable as ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Plavski posted:

Time Commanders just finished: to be brief, they changed the format up just enough to be interesting, the battle was solid and it was a good show all around. Pity there's only three in the season - it's as enjoyable as ever.

Did Lloyd, Matt and Lionheart win?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Neither happened to me, ever, on VH/VH. Beastmen factions still spawn as neutral since it's considered a brand new faction, which means you can usually get an army there and kill them before they do anything if you're just starting off and only have 1-2 partial stacks. Mid game your home defense army, assuming you have one, can get there easily. End game you shouldn't have to worry about it at all since you can recruit armies from any outpost and global recruit like 15 units in a single turn with stacking glade lord bonuses+technology.

It did happen to me once. Redhorn Tribe spawned in Estalia, immediately declared war, and razed two outposts before I could get an army to them. After that I just kept a 10-unit army in the region as a permanent garrison but it never happened again.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

They weren't up this week. It was some wrestlers vs. some London boardgaming nerds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Plavski posted:

They weren't up this week. It was some wrestlers vs. some London boardgaming nerds.

Dang, I was hoping for some mugging from wannabe Hannibal. Matt put up a preview video of them at the set and Lindybeige was wearing a fake contact to look like he was blind like Hannibal.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dang, I was hoping for some mugging from wannabe Hannibal. Matt put up a preview video of them at the set and Lindybeige was wearing a fake contact to look like he was blind like Hannibal.

Well tonight's ep was The Battle of Zama, so I wonder why they'll do Hannibal again.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK Forest Dragon has to be the worst top tier unit - it needs at least another couple thousand hitpoints to match something like the Varghulf to be worth spending amber on.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fans posted:

Compared to what? Not sure what other talent is as good as letting you fight a blob one stack at a time.

I never perceive that much value out of the blue skill tax before it to be worth getting it. Red line for most or yellow for melee monsters gets me by fine.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Does the giant eagle dominate other fliers or does it exist purely to suck? Hawk riders are better at actually fighting things on the ground and they can (badly) shoot at things.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

I think Vampires have the best blue tree, but I'd have to double check everyone.
Well, they get the +1 Vampire for two points, so that alone is pretty awesome. At that point you might as well invest a few other points for Lightning Strike, so probably. I'm simply not touching the blue skills on Orion except for +move, because + 12 armor/atk/def for six skill points is far better, then either army-wide ranged buffs or Prey of Anath Raema, then...yeah. I've got other things to spend skill points on.

e: vvvv Treemen are probably worth it, honestly.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

V for Vegas posted:

OK Forest Dragon has to be the worst top tier unit - it needs at least another couple thousand hitpoints to match something like the Varghulf to be worth spending amber on.

Is any one unit worth spending amber on? It seems like a really garbage mechanic that you can't afford to buy these units that aren't even that great until you're already too big to fail. Anyone have a favorite mod for removing it, or one that enables it for a couple units like Treemen but removes it for every otherwise normal unit that requires it?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Corrode posted:

I never perceive that much value out of the blue skill tax before it to be worth getting it. Red line for most or yellow for melee monsters gets me by fine.

So, uh, serious question but don't take it as being smug - what difficulty you playing on?

I only play on hard, am probably a very bad player who prefers to win by list strength and there have been campaigns where I never needed lightning strike and others where it was huge. These almost always involve Grimgor + Azhag + 1 or 2 Waagh stacks barreling down on my Bloody Hand or Dwarf holdings.

I don't normally need it by the time WoC come trundling along because you can normally retreat away from the blob but still get attacked by a solo stack since they're so aggressive.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Deified Data posted:

Is any one unit worth spending amber on? It seems like a really garbage mechanic that you can't afford to buy these units that aren't even that great until you're already too big to fail. Anyone have a favorite mod for removing it, or one that enables it for a couple units like Treemen but removes it for every otherwise normal unit that requires it?

This is really the big problem. By the time you can spare the amber you're already so beefed up from Sacrificial Grounds and red lines and tech that you're just buying the units for the variety.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

fnordcircle posted:

So, uh, serious question but don't take it as being smug - what difficulty you playing on?

I only play on hard, am probably a very bad player who prefers to win by list strength and there have been campaigns where I never needed lightning strike and others where it was huge. These almost always involve Grimgor + Azhag + 1 or 2 Waagh stacks barreling down on my Bloody Hand or Dwarf holdings.

I don't normally need it by the time WoC come trundling along because you can normally retreat away from the blob but still get attacked by a solo stack since they're so aggressive.

Yeah I generally play on Hard. That may influence things.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

fnordcircle posted:

This is really the big problem. By the time you can spare the amber you're already so beefed up from Sacrificial Grounds and red lines and tech that you're just buying the units for the variety.

Right, I don't like to min-max my armies, I just like filling them up with the coolest units that I feel truly represent the faction, but amber costs for stuff as middling as hawks actively punishes that mindset.

My mind goes back to the campaign selection screen that lists Slayers as one of the Dwarfs best units, and I wonder if CA has any idea what units on their rosters players are actually going to be using.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I love my infinite hitpoint big green dragon. Watched him or her solo Orion's cloak quest, both stages.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Plavski posted:

Holky gently caress Time Commanders is back tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084xym1

And they have TW superstar Lionheartx as one of the contestants.

And they have Mike Loades and Lynette Nusbacher back again!!!

Ahhhh so excite!

Holy poo poo. I didn't realise they were bringing it back. I have especially fond memories because sometimes my history teacher in school would get bored or whatever and just stick an episode on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I confederate with one of the minor Elves do I have to make sure i have enough amber in the bank to pay for their pimped out settlement (and maybe troops)?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What are the amber deficit penalties, anyway? I was at -1 for a while and didn't notice anything.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

sassassin posted:

If I confederate with one of the minor Elves do I have to make sure i have enough amber in the bank to pay for their pimped out settlement (and maybe troops)?

Yep, you can disband the troops straight away obviously, but that aside you'll almost certainly have a small net-loss of amber whenever you confederate, so make sure you have a surplus before you do.

sassassin posted:

What are the amber deficit penalties, anyway? I was at -1 for a while and didn't notice anything.

Units don't replenish, for a start.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plavski posted:

They won't be up any week. They were not part of the TV show, they were on some web-only episode.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Confederate with Durthu, cuz he's awesome. Burn the other two elf provinces to the ground and start again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jfood posted:

Confederate with Durthu, cuz he's awesome. Burn the other two elf provinces to the ground and start again.

Durthu wandered into the north around turn 5 and hasn't been seen in the forest since.

Has 4 settlements up there last I looked.

He's mental and hates me because i wouldn't join in all his wars.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Well, there's your problem. Join all of Durthu's insane wars, unless they're against the Empire or Dwarves.

You want the giant tree that shoots laserbeams out of it's eyes to be your friend, the odd war with some dwarfs or frenchmen is just the cost of doing business.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
My durthu was a rad dude who kept Carcassone and Bretonnia burned to the ground while I dealt with low income/negative amber hell thanks to Belegar pussying out and joining the Dwarven EU.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm not sure if this was a mod, but for some reason all of the wood elf factions wanted to confederate with me and I didn't seem to have a confederation penalty.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

fnordcircle posted:

Eh. I play on VH or Legendary and can count the number of times I've bothered with Lightning Strike on one hand. I basically only get it for Chaos or like Grombrindal because I'm going to be neck deep in blue with him anyway. Otherwise it mostly just serves to create less interesting battles so whatever.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Is there a consensus on the best AI and battle balance mods? There's about 20 different mods that make the AI build better buildings and make better armies and generally have the exact same description. It's pretty similar with combat mods though they at least vary somewhat with the descriptions. I'm currently using Proper Combat for that and the AI mods by the guy who made the Brittonia mods along with the magic mod since Proper Combat hasn't gotten to that part yet.

I suppose I'm fairly happy with what I've got now but I find myself always wondering if others are better. I'm looking for something with the same sort of feel as DEI in Rome 2 if it's available. The end result was an AI that is able to field big armies of good units without going bankrupt and then battles which require some amount of thought about tactics. It'd also be nice to lose a battle or, much better, a war on occasion. It's still a bit too early to tell if I've got it already or not.

As sort of an aside, does Lorehammer accomplish this at all? It seems like it should, based on the discussions, but it's not updated for the new patch yet.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, nearing the finale of the mini-campaign with Orion now. Controlling all of Athel Loren except for a 1-province vassal. Guy was my ally almsot from the start, then decided to start poo poo with my ally in Carcassone when I already control most of the forest. I declare on the aggressor and next turn with three fullstacks bearing down on him I ask him nicely to stop being retarded and oh, you're my vassal now so I can be sure you won't be retarded again.

Then Durthu (only other WE faction left) declared on him and I end that bit of stupidity by stomping Durthu's rear end and force-vassalising his last minor settlement. :doh:

About fourty turns later, I released him from vassalage for kicks and offered him 50k gold (wine cellars and wineries all over the place means I make more money than I could ever spend by now - I'm running 8 fullstacks now and still rake in over 10k/turn) for a confed... and he accepted, so I now have him in my roster, too. Jsut at lvl 14 with a completely idioti characer build. :v:

Also busted up the Greenskins and Moussilon. Allied to two of the Brets and the litle dwarf kharak up in the Grey Mountains, lookouts all over and the other Brets all have non-aggression pacts, trade and military access agreements. I get like 3-4 request for alliances per turn and am now just waiting for the Oak to finish its second-to-last stage.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

PopetasticPerson posted:

Is there a consensus on the best AI and battle balance mods? There's about 20 different mods that make the AI build better buildings and make better armies and generally have the exact same description. It's pretty similar with combat mods though they at least vary somewhat with the descriptions. I'm currently using Proper Combat for that and the AI mods by the guy who made the Brittonia mods along with the magic mod since Proper Combat hasn't gotten to that part yet.

I suppose I'm fairly happy with what I've got now but I find myself always wondering if others are better. I'm looking for something with the same sort of feel as DEI in Rome 2 if it's available. The end result was an AI that is able to field big armies of good units without going bankrupt and then battles which require some amount of thought about tactics. It'd also be nice to lose a battle or, much better, a war on occasion. It's still a bit too early to tell if I've got it already or not.

As sort of an aside, does Lorehammer accomplish this at all? It seems like it should, based on the discussions, but it's not updated for the new patch yet.

For a minimal approach I go with:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761596200

Really all the AI needs to do to recruit cooler/more varied armies is to stop building low tier econ/growth buildings in every one of it's holdings. The AI doesn't really need them because it gets a bonus to income/growth/public order, and filling those building slots locks it out of cool units.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What am I missing with these "secret special outposts" wood elves are supposed to have at capital cities? I'm occupying Marienburg and can't find any option for such a thing, and the other person I know playing welfs never saw them at Drakenhof or Miragliano, all three places where they're supposed to be found.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its just a replacement for the standard main building, not something extra you can build. did you overlook it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is the Woodsmen App good?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I love the Waystalker hero. Great unit for sniping the big ticket units and if you can get one behind engaged enemy lines, he becomes basically Legolas, due to Hawkish Finesse.

"They were coming out of the trees man! They were coming out of the trees!"

Also one pro-tip for Wood Elf campaigns early on: At the start of the match, immediately war dec one of Elvish factions and stay at war with them until you have the strength to siege them.

Outposts don't pay for poo poo and the only way you can really expand your armies is by taking another wood elf stronghold. However, if you wait, some of the eleves will invariably ally with someone and it will be impossible to beat them with the military one settlement can support.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Yeah, Waystalker is up there with the Goblin Big Boss and Gorebull as far as my favorite units go. Too bad Gorebull is mostly only great on the battlefield, but I suppose they couldn't make him too good.

Also, more importantly, I'm pretty sure Morghur says 'Meth mouth' at one point when you click on him.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

theDOWmustflow posted:

Outposts don't pay for poo poo and the only way you can really expand your armies is by taking another wood elf stronghold. However, if you wait, some of the eleves will invariably ally with someone and it will be impossible to beat them with the military one settlement can support.
Yeah, I decided to go for the confederation route and didn't realize how much of a pain it'd be to get the Oak to 3 before I could do that. You want at least two settlements pretty early and that'll make it easier to force the other elves to agree to your demands, too.

Also Great Eagles loving suck, jesus. I'm using one from a Waystone garrison defense and this poo poo is going even with a unit of Ungor Raiders, for gently caress's sake. What are they even for? Hawk Riders at least are semi-decent flank chargers with bonus arrows I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Davincie posted:

its just a replacement for the standard main building, not something extra you can build. did you overlook it?

Nope. Check this out:

Pictured: Marienburg, listed as one of the nine significant cities, with no special qualities - its settlement type is the same as Magritta, a regular old coastal city. What really gives it away is the garrison, which is supposed to have dragons according to that CA post, but instead has nothing more than the usual dryads and deepwood scouts. I disabled my mods and reconquered it just to make sure, and nothing. Seeding it creates the Large Coastal Outpost, as does razing and then colonizing. Is there something I'm missing?

• Locked thread