Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
2 months into riding and you're already on a zx14?

Zx14s are under 600 pounds wet last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I think he's including his own weight on top of the bikes, which is a brilliant move I should have used during weightlifting.

I can bench over 400 pounds. The bar is 45 and the rest is me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Angryboot posted:

2 months into riding and you're already on a zx14?

2 months into riding and he didn't take the MSF.

The Darwin awards would like his address so they can mail his prize to his family.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Well guys, I had my first Layer Dan the other day, only about 2 months into riding. I rode the ZX-14 into work and was parking next to my co-worker. There were no other cars next to him so I swooped up to the side of his car so I could walk the bike in backwards next to it. As I came in I realized my turn angle was a little too shallow and leaned (mistake 1) instead of turning with the bars, and tapped the brake (mistake 2) instead of feathering the clutch and just getting farther forward than I'd like. The bike got too heavy to stabilize and started to go over. I got my right foot down and grabbed the bars and tried to pull the bike back up, but unlike the Shadow I can't just beast it back upright (I am 6'4 and used to be in the Army. I'm fat and soft now by comparison but still keep in decent shape.) I managed to stop the fall of the bike but it was pushing my right knee over and I felt and heard something pop in my leg and the bike started going down again. It felt like a leg throw from wrestling so I let the weight of the bike throw me free and focused on making a good landing. I ended up a few feet away and took the fall on my right side. Did a paratrooper fall to spread the impact out and the pads and gloves saved me from a LOT of additional pain, even at 0mph. I kept my head off the ground and my helmet is fine. Caught my shin and have a decent scrape from the left peg. There are fold up pegs installed and the bike fell on a part of the fairing that was already scratched from what I now assume is the same mistake so there wasn't any damage. The bike shut itself off after 2 seconds once it was far enough down and started back up on the 2nd (tense) try after I apologized to it properly. It took me a while to walk off the leg pain but I ended up with a pulled hamstring and its already much better.

Park your super top-heavy bikes carefully, kids, and don't try to one-leg squat 700 pounds of bike and rider unless you swole.

Ninja edit: I regret missing the last MSC course of the year when I got my permit.

Source your quotes.

:ohdear:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well that didn't take long.

Glad you're ok and all, but you shouldn't be on that bike.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have been one-upped, poo poo

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Glad you're ok and all, but you shouldn't be on that bike.
Nobody should, those bikes are pointless.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
When I do the paint this winter, i will be able to sell it at a profit and get a bike I should be on. It just made a nice occasional change from the Shadow, which actually feels dangerous to be on in traffic. Compared to that the 14 was almost like being in my car. I never intended to actually KEEP the thing. It's covered in Monster logos...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Both of those bikes are perfectly safe in traffic, the dangerous bit is you.

HotCanadianChick posted:

2 months into riding and he didn't take the MSF.

The Darwin awards would like his address so they can mail his prize to his family.

he said with no irony... How's the arm and leg doin?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've never actually looked up the specs for the ZX-14, but it does a 9 second quarter mile, with 208 hp and 113 ft-lb of torque. That's slightly over double the torque of a Daytona 675, riding a ZX-14 sounds terrifying.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

MomJeans420 posted:

I've never actually looked up the specs for the ZX-14, but it does a 9 second quarter mile, with 208 hp and 113 ft-lb of torque. That's slightly over double the torque of a Daytona 675, riding a ZX-14 sounds terrifying.

Then shift to a higher gear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

And this bike is being ridden by a guy who can't keep it upright in a low-speed turn in the parking lot

please stop riding the bike and sell it and buy a ninja 500 and don't die, cage kicker

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How can he get up along side all the cagers and kick their cages if he has a mere 500cc twin?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Link to cage kicking? I've kicked a cage but it was a cabby pushing into me in a crawl traffic and cabbies aren't human. If you are close enough that I can kick you it's your problem.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I stubbed my toe on the bird's cage once, does that count?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cage Kicker posted:

only about 2 months into riding. I rode the ZX-14 into work and was parking next to my co-worker.

Ninja edit: I regret missing the last MSC course of the year when I got my permit.

"Eh, that's probably too much bike for someone with ten times as long riding as you."

MomJeans420 posted:

:allbuttons:

Why would you buy this?! What kind of an insane deal do you think you got that would entice you to open pandoras box like this? Why don't you think the shadow has enough power for the highway?

The sad thing is that cage kicker is like.. 80% of the motorcycling population. :( I'm glad he has purchased a motorcycle that he can "grow in to".

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Why would you buy this?! What kind of an insane deal do you think you got that would entice you to open pandoras box like this? Why don't you think the shadow has enough power for the highway?

You're asking for well-thought out logical answers from someone who thought a 600 cc v-twin wasn't powerful enough for his two months of riding and the bike built to be better than the Hayabusa was the answer for that?

Give him some credit, it's not like he's a beginner, he's been riding for two months, geez.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Got it for >3 grand, still planning on a few minor fixes and a healthy profit afterwards. I wanted to ride it while I have it because I'll probably never be on something that nice ever again. I never said the Shadow isn't "powerful" enough, I said it doesn't feel as safe as the Ninja at all. It's slow, it runs out of juice rapidly after 65mph while it tries to vibrate itself apart, and it's tiny. In addition it takes a ton of effort to stop it compared to the ZX which is bigger and heavier.

MomJeans420 posted:

It's actually super boring if you don't like going over the speed limit a lot.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

If you're not going 180mph down the freeway, you aren't living.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So I crashed on the track, info is in the track thread and not really relevant since it wasn't a street crash, but I thought I'd post the gear results up in here since some of you do that. No idea of the speed, but pretty low, T11 CW ncbike.

Dainese steel core carbons, arrow is initial point of impact. Nice juicy bruise on my thumb

RS taichi suit, the frayed fabric bits will pass tech so idgaf. More worthy of note is that my elbow armor spun way around onto my forearm, you can see the zigzaggy edge is where it was in the second pic. Definitely because my suit doesn't have pockets there, I replaced the initial massive plastic armor with forcefield poo poo so there's room for it to move. Gonna hit up todd at heroic to get that fixed. There's more scuffs elsewhere, but I can't tell whether those were from this crash or from previous minimoto crashes

Really really lucky with this one. I rolled once, and while I was facedown my visor glanced off/brushed against the ground and its lift tab acted like a slider (literally saw it happen), keeping the actual helmet off (I was also sort of on my elbows while rolling). Not a single mark on it anywhere else.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Coydog posted:

"Eh, that's probably too much bike for someone with ten times as long riding as you."

I've been riding for 10 times longer than he has and I'm worried if a CB400 would be too much bike for me. (Probably not, but maybe too much bike for my wallet).

Cage Kicker posted:

Got it for >3 grand, still planning on a few minor fixes and a healthy profit afterwards. I wanted to ride it while I have it because I'll probably never be on something that nice ever again. I never said the Shadow isn't "powerful" enough, I said it doesn't feel as safe as the Ninja at all. It's slow, it runs out of juice rapidly after 65mph while it tries to vibrate itself apart, and it's tiny. In addition it takes a ton of effort to stop it compared to the ZX which is bigger and heavier.

When your first complaint is that it runs out of "juice" after 65mph, I'm wondering if you're confusing "safe" for "fast". Also, it's a cruiser, it's not supposed to be fast. Also, I'm laughing at the fact that you've been riding for 2 months and your screen name is stereotypical squid garbage.

Shadowlz posted:

If you're not going 180mph down the freeway, you aren't living.

My bike tops out at about 67mph and isn't allowed on the freeways :v:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

CB400 would be a good learner bike, they're not too much for anyone.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Shimrod posted:

CB400 would be a good learner bike, they're not too much for anyone.

A local dealer has a few in stock, but they're around $13,000 USD brand new. They're pretty looking, and definitely tugging at my desires. But I may end up just sticking with a Yamaha MT-03 as those around half the cost. If I could make the payments work, I'd be all over one; but I just moved and still settling in.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, loving hell, they're not $13,000 good. Get a second hand one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Get a CB-1

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Shimrod posted:

Haha, loving hell, they're not $13,000 good. Get a second hand one.

Bike prices here kinda suck, even a used (legal, registered) CB400 is starting at $9,000. Also, it's somehow easier for me to get a loan on a new bike than a used bike...

A new Yamaha MT-03 runs about $7,000 with used being about $5~$6,000. Suzukis and Kawasakis are more expensive and Honda runs a premium price for some reason. Though Kawasaki is teaming up with a local manufacturer (Kymco) to essentially build a badge engineered Z650, so maybe that'll help prices a little bit, but the stupidly high import tax and smog testing of every single bike that gets imported kind of kills the market for big bikes.

e: Also, the CB400 is not imported "officially" by Honda; bikes that aren't directly imported by manufacturers tend to have inflated prices as well (above the already inflated prices for duties, taxes, emissions testing, and whatever other protectionist bullshit the KMT decided to tack on).

A MIRACLE posted:

Get a CB-1

If those even exist in this country. They're about 10 years too old to have been imported new, and importing is a pain in the rear end, so if there are any here, you could probably count the number on one hand.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 13, 2016

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

The CB400 is a great learner bike, keep the revs below 7.5k and it's a 250, let it rev out and enjoy the smiles the tiny little four cylinder can supply. One of the few "learner" bikes with a bit of fun at the top of the rev range.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Y'all aren't crashing, stop getting everyones hopes up

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's CA's slow time of the year, probably won't be too many crashes. Now is when the creeps and weirdos come out of the woodwork and start posting more, like in threads like this.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I tapped my bike with my suv the other day. That's kind of a crash.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I scratched my car with my passenger foot peg the other day, also kind of a crash. I have to back my bike down my driveway every time I take it out, I guess I flew too close to the sun that day. (bike gets the garage, the cars have to stay outside)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

MomJeans420 posted:

I scratched my car with my passenger foot peg the other day, also kind of a crash. I have to back my bike down my driveway every time I take it out, I guess I flew too close to the sun that day. (bike gets the garage, the cars have to stay outside)

As it should be.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sometimes I hit people's mirrors with my mirrors while lanesplitting if I forget to fold them in

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

Sometimes I hit people's mirrors with my mirrors while lanesplitting if I forget to fold them in

That's a crash.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Chichevache posted:

That's a crash.

I'm pretty good about it now but when I first moved to Cali it happened a lot lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Why on earth would you fold them in when you can just hit them and not give a gently caress?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why on earth would you fold them in when you can just hit them and not give a gently caress?

other LA commuters are my neighbors for the most part so I try to be polite

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

other LA commuters are my neighbors for the most part so I try to be polite

Nah, gently caress em. I tried being nice to traffickers and all it got me was poo poo. Now I don't bother and the difference is zero.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

traffickers

I think all you kiwis and aussies just make up words in general conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think all you kiwis and aussies just make up words in general conversation.

I fuckin miss NZ. That's a mans country right there.

• Locked thread