Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
You can easily use KoW rules in 10 or 15 mm scale. You still need the minis, but they are at least super cheap compared to 28 mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pvt.Scott posted:

What I don't get is why giant fantasy army war gamers don't just use 15mm armies. So much cheaper and you don't need an aircraft carrier to play on.
The scale of the models has always been part of the appeal to me of Warhammer, whether it's 40k, Fantasy, or AoS. One reason why I never got into Epic or Warmaster was because I really like the 28mm scale since it's so visual and each model can look distinctive or be converted easily at that size. The scale lends the models more character and makes individuals a little more important, even in a meatgrinder like AoS. 28mm has its breaking point when it gets too big but that's always been my favorite scale to play, even before I started playing 40k.

Not a viking posted:

You can easily use KoW rules in 10 or 15 mm scale. You still need the minis, but they are at least super cheap compared to 28 mm.
I think Saga and DBA were the same way. It's nice to have it there as an option.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

SRM posted:

The scale of the models has always been part of the appeal to me of Warhammer, whether it's 40k, Fantasy, or AoS. One reason why I never got into Epic or Warmaster was because I really like the 28mm scale since it's so visual and each model can look distinctive or be converted easily at that size. The scale lends the models more character and makes individuals a little more important, even in a meatgrinder like AoS. 28mm has its breaking point when it gets too big but that's always been my favorite scale to play, even before I started playing 40k.

I think Saga and DBA were the same way. It's nice to have it there as an option.

Saga doesn't really need to be at 15mm since you're only taking a handful of models most of the time. KoW is perfect for any scale so long as your bases are the right size. You could even play a mixed scale game of KoW since you wouldn't have to do any range or distance conversions. You could call it a battle in the world of Gulliver's Travels or something.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pvt.Scott posted:

What I don't get is why giant fantasy army war gamers don't just use 15mm armies. So much cheaper and you don't need an aircraft carrier to play on.

Most games are better off a scale or two lower. KOW in 15mm, CoC in 15mm, TY in 6mm...

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Atlas Hugged posted:

Saga doesn't really need to be at 15mm since you're only taking a handful of models most of the time. KoW is perfect for any scale so long as your bases are the right size. You could even play a mixed scale game of KoW since you wouldn't have to do any range or distance conversions. You could call it a battle in the world of Gulliver's Travels or something.

A guy who occasionally plays in our Frostgrave campaign has 15mm scale dudes on the standard renadra bases, apparently he insists that his dudes are human size and every other warband is made of giants his dudes can still kill because all of them are such badasses.

I actually really want to see his warband but not once have we shown up to play on the same day.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol that sounds loving rad

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vitamin P posted:

A guy who occasionally plays in our Frostgrave campaign has 15mm scale dudes on the standard renadra bases, apparently he insists that his dudes are human size and every other warband is made of giants his dudes can still kill because all of them are such badasses.
:eyepop:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vitamin P posted:

I actually really want to see his warband but not once have we shown up to play on the same day.

Doesn't Frostgrave use TLoS though?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah and no surprise those spineless giants always insist on playing in Giant Town where there's stuff big enough for them to hide behind!

loving giants. gently caress 'em.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
giants really are the worst

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
See, that sounds like an awesome guy to game with.

I prefer 28mm for skirmish stuff, because then I can take time on each model, yadda yadda. When I played Skaven waaaaay back when, there was no way I was spending more than 5 minutes on a single rat out of 50 in a unit.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 11, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

See, that sounds like an awesome guy to game with.

I prefer 28mm for skirmish stuff, because then I can take time on each model, yadda yadda. When I played Skaven waaaaay back when, there was no way I was spending more than 5 minutes on a single rat out of 50 in a unit.

Yeah, this is the thing. If you have fifteen guys, 28mm is fine. Fifty, and you probably wanted 20/15mm.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

spectralent posted:

Yeah, this is the thing. If you have fifteen guys, 28mm is fine. Fifty, and you probably wanted 20/15mm.

I prefer 28mm and I have a Tyranid army with about 150 infantry type bugs. I agree with SRM if they were smaller guys I wouldn't be as interested in painting them, I think they would lose some of their character. My vision is pretty bad though so maybe other people who have sharper eyes could enjoy the details in 15mm more than me?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The pictures aren't great, but my minis are in storage right now, so these are the shots I have.

Here's a 15 mm space shoot mans based on a US penny. I managed to get shading and highlights and even a little bit of visor shine on this guy and his buddies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I prefer 28mm and I have a Tyranid army with about 150 infantry type bugs. I agree with SRM if they were smaller guys I wouldn't be as interested in painting them, I think they would lose some of their character. My vision is pretty bad though so maybe other people who have sharper eyes could enjoy the details in 15mm more than me?

I'll disagree. You can appreciate 28mm better when you only have a few guys, but for 100 of them? They get lost in a sea of color just like 15mm does, but they're a lot harder to move around and store.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

The pictures aren't great, but my minis are in storage right now, so these are the shots I have.

Here's a 15 mm space shoot mans based on a US penny. I managed to get shading and highlights and even a little bit of visor shine on this guy and his buddies.

Can I just say how much I love this? Brave 15mm explorer in a 28mm world.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'll disagree. You can appreciate 28mm better when you only have a few guys, but for 100 of them? They get lost in a sea of color just like 15mm does, but they're a lot harder to move around and store.

I think part of it is that you can legit do a mass battle army for way cheaper in the smaller scales. I mean, 150 tryanid bugs is 30 USD for 11? I think you can pick up 3-4 times as many 15MM guys for the same price (totally not rip offs of Geigers Aliens in 15mm run for 10 bucks for 12). So a horde army in 15mm is 400 guys, which means multi basing which means a completely difficult look and feel. But you could also halve the price (or more) and still have 200+ dudes hitting the table which is going to look impressive.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 12, 2016

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

You're right I can't appreciate my models correctly. :rolleyes:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The house rules we use are a different experience system and "Don't be like, a dick." so I'm sure the guy just pretends they are normal frostgrave soldier size for line of sight to them etc, I know he rebased them onto the standard size bases so think it's more just for fun than playing them for mechanical advantage.

The group I play Frostgrave with are in general the chillest gamers I've ever met, I think it's just because it is a bit of a beer and pretzels game. The X-Wing crowd are cool too but reckon it's for the opposite reason, that the rules are tight/balanced enough that disagreements and Unfun Bullshit just doesn't come up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JesusIsTehCool posted:

You're right I can't appreciate my models correctly. :rolleyes:

i'm pretty sure that's exactly what he meant forum user JesusIsTehCool

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
15mm spaceman owns. I usually just completely dismiss that scale whenever it comes up since it's usually demonstrated by horrible Napoleon era line infantry which look like led casts from the 1800s painted with what I can only assume is something intended for heavy machinery, and by that I don't mean other slightly bigger toy robots but actual heavy machinery like cranes or strip miners. But that little dude owns, and I could see both enjoying painting an army of those more than painting an army in 28mm as well as those way-too-big 2000pts per side battles in GW games actually being pretty neat with those little dudes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

15mm spaceman owns. I usually just completely dismiss that scale whenever it comes up since it's usually demonstrated by horrible Napoleon era line infantry which look like led casts from the 1800s painted with what I can only assume is something intended for heavy machinery, and by that I don't mean other slightly bigger toy robots but actual heavy machinery like cranes or strip miners. But that little dude owns, and I could see both enjoying painting an army of those more than painting an army in 28mm as well as those way-too-big 2000pts per side battles in GW games actually being pretty neat with those little dudes.

yeah it doesn't help a lot of 15mm stuff is ancient.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That tiny dude was for a skirmish level game, so I only had to paint ~30 dudes a side and I found a couple toy tanks on eBay that were the right scale for cheap that looked futurey and I weathered them up a bit, bought couple bags of plastic dinos for the trees and rocks in it and gussied those up with paint and flock, bought a couple HO scale buildings (surprisingly close to 15mm) on sale and turned them into makeshift firebases with green stuff sandbags, sci-fi gubbinz, bullet holes and rocket strikes, and then played a few games of that Ambush Alley sci-fi game with my buddy. Then the bastard moved out of town on me.

Total investment, including the $60 book was probably ~$120, but the minis themselves were only about $35-40 of that after shipping. I got those from Rebel minis if I recall.

E: the best part was I could play on the small table I had available.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 12, 2016

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
So back on topic, have you guys played against Lord Kroak + Balewind Vortex? Is there any way to counter this combo? It seems unbeatable

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
have you tried using the 'bring nothing but structures your opponent cannot destroy' tactic?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Pvt.Scott posted:

That tiny dude was for a skirmish level game, so I only had to paint ~30 dudes a side and I found a couple toy tanks on eBay that were the right scale for cheap that looked futurey and I weathered them up a bit, bought couple bags of plastic dinos for the trees and rocks in it and gussied those up with paint and flock, bought a couple HO scale buildings (surprisingly close to 15mm) on sale and turned them into makeshift firebases with green stuff sandbags, sci-fi gubbinz, bullet holes and rocket strikes, and then played a few games of that Ambush Alley sci-fi game with my buddy. Then the bastard moved out of town on me.

Total investment, including the $60 book was probably ~$120, but the minis themselves were only about $35-40 of that after shipping. I got those from Rebel minis if I recall.

E: the best part was I could play on the small table I had available.

Holy cow, where are the pics?!

If you don't want to spoil the Sigmar thread, post it in the "GW is bad" chat thread

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

So back on topic, have you guys played against Lord Kroak + Balewind Vortex? Is there any way to counter this combo? It seems unbeatable

I just looked up the rules for these two together. So basically he can go anywhere on the board he wants, everything has to move 3" away from him when he lands, and no models can melee him while he smacks the poo poo out of them with comets and a 3x per turn AoE.

Fun.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

several battleforces are sold out on gw's website, i guess people are playing the sigmar. just finished priming my ard boys, i really like these models

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

TKIY posted:

I just looked up the rules for these two together. So basically he can go anywhere on the board he wants, everything has to move 3" away from him when he lands, and no models can melee him while he smacks the poo poo out of them with comets and a 3x per turn AoE.

Fun.

The combo gets really silly when you add in an Astrolith Bearer (+1 to casting, +8" range to spells (and yes that also gets doubled)) and a Skink Starseer to give you Insight to reroll any dice you want (casting, turn order, damage dice, enemy damage). You can also bring multiple Astrolith Bearers because their effects stack.

Unlike normal models he doesn't have Wounds:

You need to deal 10 wounds to him in a single turn to guarantee a kill but that's hard because Kroak has a 3+ save and immunity to melee when he is on the Vortex, and with Mystic Shield that makes it a 2+ save, and the buff from a Skink Priest lets you reroll that save. You can also cast Summon Starlight which reduces enemy hit rolls by 1. All of this combined makes him very resistant to normal shooting attacks.

The Rule of One prevents him from casting Celestial Deliverance more than once, but it's enough to devastate most armies.

I haven't seen a reliable counter to this strategy yet.

Pawl fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 12, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

Fun.

AoS is good

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are there ITC rules for AoS?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

mango sentinel posted:

Are there ITC rules for AoS?

The ITC runs events for AOS but I haven't heard of any custom rules for it

Not allowing special characters to use the Balewind Vortex would be a good rule to have

Pawl fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Not a viking posted:

Holy cow, where are the pics?!

If you don't want to spoil the Sigmar thread, post it in the "GW is bad" chat thread

My tiny mans are packed away currently. All I have out right now are a bunch of unpainted D&D minis, since those get used. That tiny space marine pic is from five years ago.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Moola posted:

have you tried using the 'bring nothing but structures your opponent cannot destroy' tactic?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moola posted:

You can also do the Lord of change + screaming bell combo and just win before the opponent takes his turn

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
AoS is a good game with deep strategic depth

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
If I'm waiting for Christmas gift money to get a Battle force box how hosed am I?

Edit: whoops wrong ham thread, but still appropriate I guess

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 12, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If you want a Khorne box? Not very.

If you want any other one? Better start praying.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

mango sentinel posted:

If I'm waiting for Christmas gift money to get a Battle force box how hosed am I?

I expect you'll be okay, for AoS or 40k. The stores seem to have received a lot of boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

if the end result is getting sigmar models then VERY hosed!

• Locked thread