Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hey so for anyone else who took out Adamantoise, make sure you go to the Longwythe Rest Area and talk to Dave again for a nice reward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Terper posted:

Gladio has always been hard on Noct. He sees it as his job. He also gets easily frustrated. He was mad at Noctis for seemingly barely caring about Ignis's situation. (Personally I've never thought it was important how he was blinded but it is for others so hey)

I was really sympathetic to Noct through that section and at the time I thought Gladio was being an rear end in a top hat. Later on after thinking about it I realized that he was absolutely right that Noct wasn't acting kingly. It wasn't even do much that he didn't focus on Ignis losing his sight, it was that as king Noctis had to put the troubles of all of his subjects before his own troubles. That meant focusing on their journey to Gralea and not mourning, no matter how upset he was. It's an inconvenient truth that Noctis had to face, that he had to make great sacrifices in order to be king.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

TBH my first reaction after Ardyn pulls his Prompto switcharoo was "oh poo poo, maybe Gladio being a dick was actually Ardyn trying to undermine the group or something"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoren posted:

I was really sympathetic to Noct through that section and at the time I thought Gladio was being an rear end in a top hat. Later on after thinking about it I realized that he was absolutely right that Noct wasn't acting kingly. It wasn't even do much that he didn't focus on Ignis losing his sight, it was that as king Noctis had to put the troubles of all of his subjects before his own troubles. That meant focusing on their journey to Gralea and not mourning, no matter how upset he was. It's an inconvenient truth that Noctis had to face, that he had to make great sacrifices in order to be king.

I mean, Gladio wasn't doing himself any favors since he was ignoring Ignis just as much and blaming Noctis for everything. The only one who had his head on right was my main man Prompto, who always stayed next to Ignis and helped him up whenever he fell, never complained, and mediated the whole thing from everyone's point of view.

:allears: Prompto :allears:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The problem with those scenes isn't Gladio's reaction, it's the fact that we don't see the several weeks of interactions that caused it. As far as the player can tell Gladio's mad because Noctis was looking out a window, I guess?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Terper posted:

I mean, Gladio wasn't doing himself any favors since he was ignoring Ignis just as much and blaming Noctis for everything. The only one who had his head on right was my main man Prompto, who always stayed next to Ignis and helped him up whenever he fell, never complained, and mediated the whole thing from everyone's point of view.

Same, it felt unfair to the player that it did a timeskip here but as usual Prompto was perfect.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So uhh... what happened to literally everything in this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEKNUCjcrMY

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That was Nomura's final thing, and just like everything else prior to that point, just CGI and concepts. None of that was ever "real".

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So uhh... what happened to literally everything in this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEKNUCjcrMY

Cut or used in Kingsglaive. I was rather surprised they had Business Suit Regis in the game at all during the death of the Regalia scene.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy is that Catoblepas brisket mission everything wrong and dumb about quests in this game. I get it and think hey, I know where Catoblepas are! So i go there but the two are in the water and I can't target them from shore. So I get a chocobo and swim out and nope, can't aggro them! Well I know from promo video that there's a way to fight one on land so I think maybe I have to lure it out of the water or maybe it's a time of day thing. I try showing up in the day and night and by blowing that worthless monster summoning whistle all over and...NOTHING!

So I look up how to fight one of those fuckers and the goddamn solution is to go to some other diner and accept a high level hunt for one and once you do that a third one spawns near the other two. Game design!!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cut or used in Kingsglaive. I was rather surprised they had Business Suit Regis in the game at all during the death of the Regalia scene.

I think the game would have been better had the invasion actually been in the game, not an offscreen thing in a movie.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

air- posted:

Hey so for anyone else who took out Adamantoise, make sure you go to the Longwythe Rest Area and talk to Dave again for a nice reward!

In doing this I just noticed that Dave's dog isn't with him... WHAT HAPPENED?! :qq: Poor dogger.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think the game would have been better had the invasion actually been in the game, not an offscreen thing in a movie.

The developers probably feel the same

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

The internal scenes looked like Altissa to me. I recognized some of the designs during Luna's meeting with the First Secretary. That whole bit could have been what the lead up to Leviathan perhaps. But yeah the Insomnia invasion could have been cool and the Platinum Demo sorta implied it. :smith:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Yodzilla posted:

Boy is that Catoblepas brisket mission everything wrong and dumb about quests in this game. I get it and think hey, I know where Catoblepas are! So i go there but the two are in the water and I can't target them from shore. So I get a chocobo and swim out and nope, can't aggro them! Well I know from promo video that there's a way to fight one on land so I think maybe I have to lure it out of the water or maybe it's a time of day thing. I try showing up in the day and night and by blowing that worthless monster summoning whistle all over and...NOTHING!

So I look up how to fight one of those fuckers and the goddamn solution is to go to some other diner and accept a high level hunt for one and once you do that a third one spawns near the other two. Game design!!

To be fair the mission objective marker does point you to that diner.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Yodzilla posted:

thats literally where the quest marker points you, dude. you can't really blame the game on this one. what you should be complaining about is that those drop-specific things aren't guaranteed drops, which means you either do the hunt over and over again or you savescum, neither of which are appealing options

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm like 40 hours in and beat the main quest and I still have no idea what the last element is when you scan, nor how to inflict it on enemies.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Terper posted:

It didn't help Gladbags case that he was consistently the slowest one in that dungeon. Stop complaining about staying together when you're literally slower than the blind guy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MarquiseMindfang posted:

To be fair the mission objective marker does point you to that diner.

What, I thought it was one of the quests that didn't have a marker what the gently caress.

Legs Benedict posted:

thats literally where the quest marker points you, dude. you can't really blame the game on this one. what you should be complaining about is that those drop-specific things aren't guaranteed drops, which means you either do the hunt over and over again or you savescum, neither of which are appealing options

Haha man that sucks. The fight is boring as hell too, it mostly just stands there and stomps every so often.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Deified Data posted:

I'm like 40 hours in and beat the main quest and I still have no idea what the last element is when you scan, nor how to inflict it on enemies.

It's the element demons are weak to, you inflict it with the weapons that say they do extra damage to demons.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Deified Data posted:

Light element.
The Holy attack has it, and I'm pretty sure that Enhancement can stick it onto you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

It's Light. Some weapons have that affinity with it or Ignis' abilities can help you exploit it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Khisanth Magus posted:

I didn't watch the movie until a few chapters later, I kind of liked the in media res way of doing it. Sort of like how you only see things from the perspective of certain characters in some fiction, the brief glimpse we got while the boys were in disbelief worked for me.

Starting with your home town getting burned down is the classic JRPG way of starting things though, for sure. (Breath of Fire etc)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Kingsglaive, [endgame spoiler] was that Nyx's body hanging in the throne room when you confront Ardyn? If so why on earth would Ardyn think Noctis would care?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Speaking of Kingsglaive, [endgame spoiler] was that Nyx's body hanging in the throne room when you confront Ardyn? If so why on earth would Ardyn think Noctis would care?

Yes, probably there for the player more than Noctis.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deified Data posted:

It feels weird especially because the word Kingsglaive is not mentioned once at all neither is the kings/supposedly Noctis ability to give people his powers, Prompto whined about not being able to warp why couldn't we have done that for him at some point would of made a good mid-game upgrade.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

It feels weird especially because the word Kingsglaive is not mentioned once at all neither is the kings/supposedly Noctis ability to give people his powers, Prompto whined about not being able to warp why couldn't we have done that for him at some point would of made a good mid-game upgrade.

It's mentioned in a readable report in Chapter 13 and a key item. That's all I found.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

I didn't watch the movie until a few chapters later, I kind of liked the in media res way of doing it. Sort of like how you only see things from the perspective of certain characters in some fiction, the brief glimpse we got while the boys were in disbelief worked for me.

I had this same thought, but it feels like a post-facto justification for two reasons:

1. The time / story beats you spend on not actually showing The Things needs to be compensated by watching the viewpoint character Deal With The Things. The fall of Lucis just isn't given room to land, I don't think we see anything really compelling with Noctis dealing with the event itself, realizing what his father had done, seeing other people come to grips with the news, etc.

2. They don't stick to it later on, as we see cutscenes from the perspective of people other than Noctis. One of the things I liked about the first few chapters is that you get only incredibly scant glimpses of Lunafreya as she was working her way through her own journey, mingled with remembrances from Noctis' youth. The sense of distance between the two is palpable, as is the longing that Noctis wants to be reunited with her. Then we see Lunafreya in a cutscene directly, and it takes away from that distance.

It was just what it appeared to be, them trying to wrap up a troubled development cycle and still have the story hang together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

The only stupid thing is that the item droprate isnt 100%

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In retrospect Kingsglaive seems a lot less like something you watch to get up to speed on the backstory of XV and more something you watch to just...get in the mood for it, I guess? It succeeded in that for me at least, but Brotherhood was the superior tie-in. I would watch more of those. They'd be a great way of filling in the blanks from chapters 9-13, better than making new gameplay cutscenes even since that would require another playthrough to really get anything out of. They write themselves:
  • Ignis learns to adapt to his blindness
  • Gladio's solo adventure
  • Prompto's origin and how he ended up in Insomnia

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 13, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I've only found the following ways to get a Ribbon, unless did I miss something?

1. Last quest from Sania (frog lady)
2. Level 99 hunt from the restaurant in Lestallum
3. Give 40 Oracle Ascension Coins to the guy near the Justice Monsters Machines in Altissia

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Deified Data posted:

In retrospect Kingsglaive seems a lot less like something you watch to get up to speed on the backstory of XV and more something you watch to just...get in the mood for it, I guess? It succeeded in that for me at least, but Brotherhood was the superior tie-in. I would watch more of those. They'd be a great way of filling in the blanks from chapters 9-13, better than making new gameplay cutscenes even since that would require another playthrough to really get anything out of.

Depending upon how much you're in it for the story, Kingsglaive moves from a CGI eye-candy sideshow to an important part of the story. It really nails home what it means to be a king of Lucis, which people keep talking to Noctis about but overlooking (either deliberately or accidentally) that the kingship literally drains your life force and leaves you a broken wreck. That's what Noct has to look forward to and it really colors the journey to claiming his throne in a slightly darker way.

But in exchange for that, you get to magically conjure magical fuckoff huge blades from the air and basically be a complete badass. So, there's that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think having Insomnia fall so early offscreen is a misstep. You really should have had one segment pre-road-trip inside Insomnia both to make it feel more meaningful and so that the return-to-Insomnia at the end feels like an actual return and not the first time you've seen the place.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think having Insomnia fall so early offscreen is a misstep. You really should have had one segment pre-road-trip inside Insomnia both to make it feel more meaningful and so that the return-to-Insomnia at the end feels like an actual return and not the first time you've seen the place.

Chapter 1 should have been the group shopping for supplies in Insomnia. Match the mundanity of pushing your busted rear end ride to Hammerhead.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I wonder what the night life is like in Insomnia someone get Dave Attell

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

air- posted:

I've only found the following ways to get a Ribbon, unless did I miss something?

1. Last quest from Sania (frog lady)
2. Level 99 hunt from the restaurant in Lestallum
3. Give 40 Oracle Ascension Coins to the guy near the Justice Monsters Machines in Altissia

Pretty sure those are the only ways. Can you buy more than 1 with ascension coins?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pretty sure those are the only ways. Can you buy more than 1 with ascension coins?

Yeah, apparently there are shitloads of coins at Pitioss. Definitely enough on just that dungeon for a Ribbon.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honestly I would have liked for a larger chunk of the game to be "4 bros on an extended bachelor party/roadtrip" before kingdoms started falling and dads started dying, and you start to feel guilty for spending all your time fishing and eating fast food.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

slev posted:

I wonder what the night life is like in Insomnia someone get Dave Attell

The City That Literally Never Sleeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In my opinion the game is at its best when you are able to fully appreciate the combat system by zooming about taking our enemies, teleporting over there to take out a couple snipers, then teleporting into the fray to take out a couple guys before zooming out again. The problem is that those combat scenarios are very limited, especially if you stick to the story. If you are doing to turn invading the enemy fortress into a 2 hour, badly made, stealth segment then futilely defending Insomnia would have made for a good set piece for that.

• Locked thread