Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Turbinosamente posted:

As far as I know the only lighted screen mod is to take the frontlight (and film) from an AGS-001 and cut it down and cram it in there. Which is why I am thankful for my desk lamp with a strong compact cfl bulb in it because drat it looks like a fiddly mod to say the least.

Thanks, but sadly I did the same thing to a GBC and it was still too hard to see.

Back in they day I imported a GB Light right when GBC came out. I preferred seeing the monochrome games well over barely seeing the exclusives in color. :(

Are there at least good portable emulator systems that handle NGPC nicely? PSP didn't do it for me as it scaled poorly and had bad frameskipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

If all he wants is to smoke a Tecmo Bowl, go to your nearest closet and pull out the OG Wii stuffed in there, and get component cables for it online if needed. Pick up Tecmo Bowl for 500 Wii Points because those are still a thing, or softmod it. As a bonus, if he really wants a true NES controller you can just get one of the ones intended for the NES Classic once they stopped being scalped for triple digits and it'll work there. This is in all likelihood your least expensive solution, not to mention dead simple (and difficult to break in exotic ways), and gives you wireless controllers which work very reliably.

Seriously, do this it's cheap, simple to set up and operate, lets you play wirelessly from the get-go and gives you latitude to easily add more games at any time.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
My friend basically admitted to me if he bought another custom supergun with JAMMA connector and CPS2 kick harness, that the maker/seller would throw in a 14" PVM. I really wish he didn't tell me this :shepicide:

He's going to ask the guy for the PVM's model number, I could be getting a custom supergun that would work with a shitload of arcade PCBs and a PVM for slighly under the price of a framemeister, I can barely handle this. Soon my dream of playing Alien vs. Predator Arcade at home will be realized.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Does anybody remember Plok? Whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever find his flag?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gorgolflox posted:

Does anybody remember Plok? Whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever find his flag?

http://www.zee-3.com/plok/index.php?comic=721

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drat, someone broke in to a small shop around here and stole a sealed NES Zelda.

https://www.facebook.com/PopCultureExchange/posts/787566848049072

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 12, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

drat, someone broke in to a small shop around here and stole a sealed NES Zelda.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=787566848049072&id=576668189138940

This is as dumb as stealing Magic cards. Every pawn shop will be alerted, ever retro shop will know, you can't put it up on your local craigslist, and there are only a handful of sealed copies on eBay. How do you move this unless you already know a buyer?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Do any of you guys have advice on where to find panel mountable red/white/yellow female/female RCA ports and mountable female/female HDMI ports? I want to get my retropies into their NES cases. I figure I'll use a micro USB to DC barrel jack adapter and mount a barrel jack on the case, but I'm having a hard time finding mountable RCAs that wouldn't require me to solder, and finding mountable HDMI ports that aren't keystone jacks.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

This is as dumb as stealing Magic cards. Every pawn shop will be alerted, ever retro shop will know, you can't put it up on your local craigslist, and there are only a handful of sealed copies on eBay. How do you move this unless you already know a buyer?

Wait a few months and post it on craigslist/forum somewhere else. If you sell it for less than market value you'll probably be able to unload it quickly too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hot sauce posted:

Wait a few months and post it on craigslist/forum somewhere else. If you sell it for less than market value you'll probably be able to unload it quickly too.

Hmm, a couple hundred bucks a few months later. That's just the kind of underachieving return I'd expect from someone who breaks into a store to steal a video game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

al-azad posted:

Hmm, a couple hundred bucks a few months later. That's just the kind of underachieving return I'd expect from someone who breaks into a store to steal a video game.

My guess is that it wasn't an elaborately planned heist, more like a "hey I'm on meth and I saw that store had Zelda" thing. :)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

At least they stole something that doesn't have a serial number on it, like the dumbass who stole from one of the local stores I visit who broke into a store with a bunch of rare stuff and made off with an Xbox... 360. Who then posted it on local share groups and was caught in 6 hours thanks to the game store having a facebook page with a bunch of followers.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

They also stole a 360 and a couple other things, not just the Zelda game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

senrath posted:

They also stole a 360

Whoa, this makes it an Ocean's 11-scale heist.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

univbee posted:

Whoa, this makes it an Ocean's 11-scale heist.

"Okay we need the best safecracker we can afford on our budget"

Smash cut to kid opening a locker with a brick, closes door and Clooney and Pitt are there smiling.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Just about anyone in the business of selling retro games (stolen or not) as a source of income has a bad understanding of the value of money.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Is there anything to be done with a dead GB Color cart? I tried cleaning the contacts to no avail, and attempted to solder the chips per an instruction video but it didn't do anything, I'd really rather not get rid of it though because i've had it forever.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fruitpunch posted:

Is there anything to be done with a dead GB Color cart? I tried cleaning the contacts to no avail, and attempted to solder the chips per an instruction video but it didn't do anything, I'd really rather not get rid of it though because i've had it forever.

What game? Can you post some pictures?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Oracle of Seasons. I'll get some pics later I've put everything away for now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

senrath posted:

They also stole a 360 and a couple other things, not just the Zelda game.

They stole a Game Gear!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you guys respond to someone who asks why you just don't play these older games on an emulator? I just can't seem to make a friend of mine understand why I think playing them on the consoles they were designed on and released for with the original controllers on a CRT TV is just a better experience than using a Xbox 360 controller (or keyboard) with an emulator on a LCD screen. Sure, there's a space and convenience angle but it just feels loving weird to me.

And one quick question, aside from mucking with the actual hardware, is there a way to get a game working on the NES that suffers from the constant screen resetting that is often associated with that lockout chip thing they put on board? It's not the game connector, I replaced that a while ago and it runs all my other games flawlessly (which brought a goddamn tear to my eye, let me tell you). The game in question is The Legend of Zelda.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
...who cares? If you've explained it and they refuse to understand, short of showing them the difference, they're not going to change their mind. And even then, for some people they just don't care.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Jimbot posted:

How do you guys respond to someone who asks why you just don't play these older games on an emulator? I just can't seem to make a friend of mine understand why I think playing them on the consoles they were designed on and released for with the original controllers on a CRT TV is just a better experience than using a Xbox 360 controller (or keyboard) with an emulator on a LCD screen. Sure, there's a space and convenience angle but it just feels loving weird to me.

And one quick question, aside from mucking with the actual hardware, is there a way to get a game working on the NES that suffers from the constant screen resetting that is often associated with that lockout chip thing they put on board? It's not the game connector, I replaced that a while ago and it runs all my other games flawlessly (which brought a goddamn tear to my eye, let me tell you). The game in question is The Legend of Zelda.

Don't respond? Who gives a gently caress?

edit: Does your NES have an intact 10NES?

XYZ fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 13, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Jimbot posted:

Cut the lock out chip, it's very easy and doesn't have any downsides.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They stole a Game Gear!

The store is asking that they just keep that one.

Caitlin posted:

...who cares? If you've explained it and they refuse to understand, short of showing them the difference, they're not going to change their mind. And even then, for some people they just don't care.

Pretty much. If you're nerdy to play games on original hardware with a CRT then you're nerdy enough to not really care what anybody thinks about that (per the nerd-cool social pressure bell curve).

Jimbot posted:

Some people clip one of the pins on the NES10 chip. You can find a guide online to that without too much trouble. (Edit: For example, you can look one post above mine.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

You can't emulate juice with friends on beanbags sitting 2 feet away from a 14" screen.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

First of all, all your support has been amazing, thank you so much everyone for sharing because something crazy just happened. No more than 2 hours after the burglary, the Zelda Cart and Micro Gameboy were posted on Letgo. An unsuspecting game fanatic saw the letgo post. He went out early for a sweet pick-up but then quickly saw our posts on Facebook. He contacted us and let us know what happened, which is horrible because it means there is one more victim in this story. About half an hour ago, he came in and brought the Zelda and micro. He gave them back to us and absolutely insisted we give him nothing in return. We are just shocked and so thankful for his help and generosity. He said he will do everything he can to help us find the guy that victimized us both.

Justice for the Game Gear now!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jimbot posted:

And it feels loving weird to him that you insist on the original stuff to him, too. Emulation and original hardware can co-exist and you don't have to necessarily see eye-to-eye with your friend there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've been playing Tomba!

I'm not really that excited about it, it's just that the exclamation point is part of the title.

I had trouble getting into Tomba! before and I thought I'd give it another shot since it's a series that has its share of fans declaring it an unheralded classic. And while there's a lot of clever ideas in Tomba, there's also a ton of gigantic flaws that make it less fun to play. For those unaware, the game is an adventure platformer. There's a huge side scrolling world where you occasionally move into or out of the background and you find some basic quests that involve just finding the right object and carrying it to the right place. There's four kinds of XP but as far as I can tell three of them are solely for unlocking a special item and the other just occasionally gives you extra lives. The world is really extensive and takes a long time to get around.

There are two fundamental problems with Tomba. The first, and most immediately noticeable, is that the controls are terrible. Tomba is about as floaty as a platformer can get and he has a tendency to get sucked onto walls and edges even when you don't want him to. Swinging jumps are painful to perform and the levels are designed so that it's very easy to overshoot jumps and try desperately to correct; this is especially bad when there's a lot of jumps where you just have to jump into the void hoping there's something there.

The more insidious problem with Tomba is that everything important and useful has a finite supply. The health recovery pick ups on the path don't come back after you collect them. While you'll earn extra lives by the boatload early on, that dries up in the mid-game where you might take three or four or more tries to make a jump that's fatal if you miss. The "get around the map easier" items are limited to the point that you'll want to walk everywhere, but walking means you get hurt and any lives lost are really lost. And for a game with such heavy restrictions there's a lot of cruel design like moving the player respawn point for one area behind a set of tricky jumps when the respawn points on other areas are where the player enters the area, or traps that teleport the player back multiple areas.

And yet I'm pressing on with the game. There's so much exploration to do that it's cool. I'm kind of hoping the sequel fixed the controls and gameplay problems because then it could be really great.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Justice for the Game Gear now!

That Game Gear wasn't innocent. Do you know how many batteries it's murdered? That acid is on its buttons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

That Game Gear wasn't innocent. Do you know how many batteries it's murdered? That acid is on its buttons.

Oh come on, you can't blame that on poor Game Gear. He was just trying to be like his big brother, Nomad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, Tomba is one of the oddest balanced games I've ever played. The demo was amazing, just a fantastic glimpse at a perfect 32-bit 2.5d platformer. Then it shits itself the more it opens up and finally ends faster than you could ever imagine. It's almost Earthbound-like in its pacing where the best parts are front loaded, followed by a sagging late-middle portion where practically nothing happens for huge swaths, then ends with a non-battle although Tomba's is far less impressive.

I beat it for the first time in a week as part of a forum run gaming challenge thread. What I learned was that you basically need a mountain of patience until you get the parachute and it goes from Nintendo hard to completely manageable. I still like the game and I think it would be a lot better with a map system to track quests and friendlier with failure. Tomba 2 addresses practically every flaw but unfortunately it's uglier being full 3D.

I'd plot down for a modern Tomba with cel shaded 3D graphics on a 2D plane. I love the structure, just hate the execution.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

And it feels loving weird to him that you insist on the original stuff to him, too. Emulation and original hardware can co-exist and you don't have to necessarily see eye-to-eye with your friend there.

Never said neither couldn't co-exist. It's just one of those things that I mention I'm playing so and so on my old consoles and they bring up emulation. I was mainly looking for a nice way of saying "Who gives a poo poo what I play my old games on? I happen to like playing them on the old consoles I own, so who cares." because it's a friend.

And for the record, using a keyboard to play a SNES game is what feels loving weird, not emulation itself. Well, the D-pad on the 360 controller is pretty rubbish too for that matter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I dunno, just..shrug and move on? Or start ranting about the evils of MAME and see how long it takes for him to scream.

As an aside I spent like ten years playing SNES games on a keyboard, using Ctrl, Shift, / and , as the main four buttons. I am ascended.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

You can't emulate juice with friends on beanbags sitting 2 feet away from a 14" screen.

But is it that Snorlax Beanbag? Because I would be proud to own something so awesome yet useless to game on.

Ok, I would still play some stuff emulated though:

PS1 anywhere I go? I am there!

But the real and always correct answer of truth:

DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Life is short and lovely. Long as you aren't causing anyone any genuine harm "Live like a windrammer as you gently caress" as that guy's email to James Rolfe said. Its all good. (Unless you are like playing Valis X which like the Matrix sequels doesn't actually exist LALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA)

The only problem with the above is now I want the double analog stick quadruple shoulder button 8BitDo controller for more portable PS1 fun. And an MHL Android device so I can play all mah poo poo on the TeeVee. Or at least a bigger tablet so I have more screen. Might actually get me off my bitch rear end to play through the Parasite Eve series. Or Kartia. FF9. Kings Field 2. Not stop in the middle every loving time I try to start up a game of Arc the Lad 2 or Silent Hill. poo poo, maybe I can even see how GGear and Lynx emulation is and play that heat properly because the actual machines are large, bulky, and have assy screens that I am too cheap and goddamned lazy to mod out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno, just..shrug and move on? Or start ranting about the evils of MAME and see how long it takes for him to scream.

As an aside I spent like ten years playing SNES games on a keyboard, using Ctrl, Shift, / and , as the main four buttons. I am ascended.

Uh by "main four buttons" you mean the d-pad???

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Medullah posted:

Oh come on, you can't blame that on poor Game Gear. He was just trying to be like his big brother, Nomad.

The Game Gear is actually way worse than the Nomad, funnily enough. 6 batteries in the Nomad last like 6-7 hours, the Game Gear is lucky to get two.

I think my GG might need some repair.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

al-azad posted:

Uh by "main four buttons" you mean the d-pad???

No, ABXY. If I remember right it was..

CTRL - A
Shift - B
/ - X
. - Y
;/' - L/R
Return - Start
\ - Select
Arrow keys - d-pad

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Elliotw2 posted:

The Game Gear is actually way worse than the Nomad, funnily enough. 6 batteries in the Nomad last like 6-7 hours, the Game Gear is lucky to get two.

I think my GG might need some repair.

2 hours sounds really low, I had a Game Gear as a kid and it would last entire 4+ hour car rides no problem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Get-Out posted:

2 hours sounds really low, I had a Game Gear as a kid and it would last entire 4+ hour car rides no problem.

Depends on your battery type really. Alkalines last a lot longer in it than cheap zinc-carbon/zinc-chloride batteries (often sold as "heavy duty" but they're only heavy duty in comparison to batteries from like 1910). Not just to the amount you'd expect because alkalines naturally hold more charge, but also because the power draw level on the device is really too high for those cheap batteries to handle well.

Sounds like your parents paid the extra for alkalines, which in the end probably cost less because they'd burn out a lot slower in the Game Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Alkaline batteries have also gotten considerably better in the past 20 years since the Game Gear release, but I'm actually using eneloops because I bought a giant case a few months ago for $30.

• Locked thread