Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

wolrah posted:

I'd use a Pi 3 for that. Browsing the web on a Pi zero is painful. The internet expects multi-core at this point. Plus that gains you built-in WiFi and a bluetooth chip which you could connect to a bluetooth OBD-2 dongle, wireless keyboard/mouse, audio system, etc.

As far as the hub goes aside from some supporting higher power charge modes for devices there really shouldn't be any meaningful difference between USB 2.0 hubs.

I figured that a zero might be pushing it. If I end up buying a Pi3 though, I'd probably swap it with my Pi1 which is running the Hypriot image and is serving as my docker host.

The Pi1 lacks bt, but I have a 2 dollar usb bt device somewhere in my spare parts box. I was hoping for a 10-15 dollar garage setup, not a 40-50 dollar one though.

Guess I gotta make up my mind. I'd also love to get a Pi running Kali and hook my awus wifi adapter up on it and do some scans at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A Pi0 runs a slightly faster Pi1 CPU, so you'd actually be better off browsing on the Zero versus an original. Basically think of the Zero as an overclocked 1+ B with ports removed. Pi2 and Pi3 are much more suitable for actual interactive use rather than appliances and toy servers.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Yeah, I re-purposed one of my 1B+ pi's as a temporary HTPC replacement last night so I could watch a movie and so I installed the latest Raspbian. I had forgotten just how painful it is using it for even basic web browsing. Just looking up a couple things on raspberrypi.org was really slow and you could tell it was really taxing the Pi. I would not want to use it (or a Zero) regularly for browsing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here tried out Windows 10 IoT on their pi? I've got a spare pi2 that used to be for xbmc, then I turned it into a small webserver but I barely touch it anymore. I don't really know what I'd use 10 IoT for but it'd be something new to try out at least.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This is more of an Arduino question, but this seems like the thread for it. I sold an old Dell Optiplex 380 desktop computer running Windows 10 (64) to a guy who wanted to run Vixen and use an Arduino Mega 2560 to control a bunch of Christmas lights. He says the setup worked on a newer HP Envy (OS unknown). He transferred the setup to the Dell. He can program the Arduino, but when he runs Vixen one of the solid-state relays flickers and the rest do nothing.

Does this sound like a power delivery problem? I wonder if the setup was plugged into a USB 3.0 port on this other machine (USB 3.0 is rated to deliver way more power than USB 2.0 iirc).

If so, how could he get more power into the Arduino while maintaining the data connection needed for the blinkenlights? Splice together a barrel connector to the end of a USB cable plugged into a second USB port?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is it possible to easily buy a pi zero yet?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

PBCrunch posted:

If so, how could he get more power into the Arduino while maintaining the data connection needed for the blinkenlights? Splice together a barrel connector to the end of a USB cable plugged into a second USB port?

Use a USB3.0 hub to not have to do any splicing. Even if you plug it into a USB2.0 port it will be capable of increased power delivery. Alternatively, get a USB3.0 expansion card.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is it possible to easily buy a pi zero yet?

I can go to Microcenter and pick one up any day of the week. I assume they're similarly available elsewhere.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Has anyone here tried out Windows 10 IoT on their pi? I've got a spare pi2 that used to be for xbmc, then I turned it into a small webserver but I barely touch it anymore. I don't really know what I'd use 10 IoT for but it'd be something new to try out at least.

Yeah it's neat, quite a bit like a Windows computer except for the API support. Give it a shot if you're interested.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wolrah posted:

I can go to Microcenter and pick one up any day of the week. I assume they're similarly available elsewhere.

Microcenter is the only place I've heard of where you can do this, but it's not something I monitor continually.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Ok, so no zero or Pi1 for browsing, got it.

Another thing I'd love to give a shot some day is install some security camera's outside of my house and save the feeds on a disk

Would a puu zero be able to do that, or should I look at pi3 for that as well?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

wolrah posted:

Microcenter won't sell Raspberry Pi online. Adafruit is the only US online store with the Zero, and their shipping is unreasonable.

If you don't have a Microcenter nearby, you're pretty much out of luck.

My acquaintance with the arduino problems got things sorted out. The problem was with the Vixen software.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

LochNessMonster posted:

Ok, so no zero or Pi1 for browsing, got it.

Another thing I'd love to give a shot some day is install some security camera's outside of my house and save the feeds on a disk

Would a puu zero be able to do that, or should I look at pi3 for that as well?

I actually made a baby monitor of sorts by using a Zero with MotionEyeOS installed (very fancy surveillance front-end) with a Playstation Eye USB Camera connected to it, I only use it for a video stream over http but you can tell it to store images/video where you want along with motion detection/operating schedules.

If I had the money and owned the house I'd probably get a bunch of IP cameras and a switch to make a proper surveillance system. The one bug I've come across is every now and then the video feed will scramble for a couple minutes, I couldn't say what the cause it though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Super Slash posted:

If I had the money and owned the house I'd probably get a bunch of IP cameras and a switch to make a proper surveillance system. The one bug I've come across is every now and then the video feed will scramble for a couple minutes, I couldn't say what the cause it though.

That’s when the extraterrestrials abduct your baby.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I just bought a 5 meter strip of WS2812B addressable LED's, so that I can mess around with a spare Pi and make some Christmas lights for my front room.

They should arrive in a few days. I looked around at a couple of guides and one mentioned making a circuit using MOSFETs. Does that sort of thing come embedded with the microcontroller, or do I have to start making circuits up too?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

apropos man posted:

I looked around at a couple of guides and one mentioned making a circuit using MOSFETs. Does that sort of thing come embedded with the microcontroller, or do I have to start making circuits up too?
MOSFETs are separate components. You would need them if you want to switch more than ~20 milliamps per pin, depending on the chip. Adding an external circuit like that would let you control any LED by switching its power off. But your addressable LEDs have a separate power pin, so you don't need it. You can turn the lights on and off with software commands instead.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yeah. Since I got in from work I've been looking at a few YouTubes and the Adafruit website, which have their own high quality version of the WS2812 controlled strips called a NeoPixel.

It seems that the strip just needs power and signalling on a single wire to the microcontroller.

One video did recommend putting a specific diode in there for better 5v signalling from the GPIO, so I've been back to eBay and bought a couple of tiny, breadboard based logic level converters for a couple of quid. I have a couple of diodes in a tub somewhere but they're probably the wrong rating so I might as well just stick a tiny 3.3v<>5v board in there.

Looking forward to messing about with this!

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Can anyone help me figure out if it's possible to create a raspberry pi configuration to boot on powerup, and SSH into a remote system?

In other words, I want to connect a raspberry pi to a monitor, and leave it running permanently SSH'd into a server. If for whatever reason it gets disconnected, it, upon boot, will bootup, and login to a SSH session with statically stored credentials to a remote server.

For you old school folks, think modern TN3270 dumb terminal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The automatic connection you could handle by using a passwordless SSH key.

Automatically log in by doing something like this: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/3873/auto-login-with-gui-disabled-in-raspbian

Then have the user's login script do "ssh user@host".

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I have mine on startup kick off autossh to an external host using keys for auth and it seems to work.

Edit: more detail: I am running openelec or something like that so I just added a line to /storage/.config/autostart.sh

You may need to do something else depending on distro.

waloo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 14, 2016

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Hello! I am hoping for some advice.

I have an RPI B setup with the official touch screen in the smartiPI case. I also have an ubuntu server in the house. The RPI is a great mountable touchscreen now so I want to turn it into a music player interface that can stream music on the server.

What is the best way to do this?

Should I be looking at a sound card for the PI to stream from the server? or should I look to controlling the server from the PI?

I am pretty good at hardware but have no idea what software to look at. I am interested in suggest solutions.

ta

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I stopped at microcenter to pick up a usb flash drive and walked out with the drive and a pi 3 :sigh: I barely use my pi2 but better speed + integrated Wifi+Bluetooth for $30 was too much to pass up when I had the box in my hand.

e: for a real question, if I want to make the new pi a kodi and emulator machine, should I install an emulator-focused OS (RetroPie/Lakka) and Kodi after, or a media focused OS (LibreELEC/OSMC) and emulators after?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 17, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone had issues with Chromium hanging instead of starting on Raspbian Jessie? Going to try an upgrade to see if that fixes it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

GobiasIndustries posted:

yes and it's great if you wanna make a kiosk style app. Full VS C# debugging!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've decided to make five RetroPie consoles as gifts for my groomsmen. How simple/complicated is it to take an image of one fully-configured RPi and apply it to the other four? They're all identical, hardware-wise (same sized microSD card, same RPi 3 board)? Is it as simple as taking a raw image with something like Win32DiskImager and applying it to the other microSD cards? Or is it like imaging Windows in that I'll have to "sysprep" a working one before I capture the image?

And what's a good power-button solution for these things? After experimenting with my RPi 2 I was reminded of the fact that there's no way to boot up a shutdown Pi except for removing the power adapter and then plugging it back in...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Same size and brand sd card yes (or all bigger than the one you're copying from)

They're not all quite the same size between brands, so if it's a fully expanded card image, sometimes it won't fit

I've always wished the raspi-config file system expand did it bar the last few mb to avoid that

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 20, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have experience with Pi-hole? I understand it's blocking ads via DNS blacklisting but how does it work out in practice? Is the CSS hosed up on most sites? Do you get those "WE SEE YOU ARE USING AN ADBLOCKER" style ads as well? Would you say it's as effective as Ublock?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I'm using it. Got a Pi2 plugged into my router under the desk. Traffic from my mobile (when on WiFi), laptop (when not using VPN) and desktop is Pi-holed and it's all quite seamless, really. I also use ublock in my browser, so there may be stuff stopped by that instead of Pi-hole.

The Pi-hole GUI gives you a nice log of DNS requests and I'm surprised by the amount of Google chatter on my Android phone. I expected quite a lot but, crikey! Also get quite a lot of github logs when I've only got git installed to do the odd clone operation. The Pi-hole itself is fairly unobtrusive, with a nice looking GUI.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Then you're using it ad objects on sites either straight up don't appear or they're replaced with blank HTML error boxes, some sites with ad block protection are still clever enough to bug you about it and I don't know if it's me but Youtube videos take a bit longer to start buffering.

It's also interesting to see how much Windows phones home.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't typically see ads when on youtube, though once in a while the video takes an extra ~10s to load on desktop at least (I imagine those were when I was supposed to get an ad, but didn't). My iPhone ends up skipping ads for youtube, twitch, and in-app ads typically which is nice. OCCASIONALLY a website won't load for me, usually on my phone, because of pi-hole. I think something in the website's JS gets hung up on not receiving a response from whatever ad service it pings and never finishes loading the page. Of course in those instances I can just turn off wifi for my phone and reload, I don't think it has ever happened on desktop but I can't recall. I'd just have to switch to using a google DNS or something if I really wanted to see the page I guess.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Open EA's Origin and check the logs if you want a good laugh. It's like an alphabetical list of every ad tracker and social media site in existence.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I read somewhere (probably these forums) that they were gonna start baking ads into the video themselves. Probably when the technology is quick enough to do it ad-hoc with millions of videos per minute. So the ad becomes part of the video and it's impossible for a machine to make a discretion.

Amazing how dearly these ad companies think that we are influenced by all of these adverts. I'm probably not immune to the suggestions made to me by adverts, myself, but I'd like to to think about 95% of them mean nothing to me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does pi hole block outgoing Windows 10 telemetry stuff

I think there's a pfsense plugin that does it but pfsense is a real bitch to get configured correctly

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Does pi hole block outgoing Windows 10 telemetry stuff

I think there's a pfsense plugin that does it but pfsense is a real bitch to get configured correctly

No. It doesn't rely on DNS. The pfsense plugin doesn't work either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

apropos man posted:

I read somewhere (probably these forums) that they were gonna start baking ads into the video themselves. Probably when the technology is quick enough to do it ad-hoc with millions of videos per minute. So the ad becomes part of the video and it's impossible for a machine to make a discretion.

They’re still going to be skippable after <x> seconds in most cases, correct?

So key off the “skip this ad” text.

You won’t be able to avoid downloading/waiting through the first few seconds of the ad, but the computer can black/mute the ad and then skip the remainder at the first moment it is possible to do so.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Hmm. Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I guess if there's a computer function to present a "skip this ad" button then it would be trivial for any ad blocker to get its triggers off that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using it for a while now and its doing a great job, only issue I had recently was one of the lists it was pulling from was blocking a Google api that stopped hangouts and a few other bits working in chrome

The recent updates to the web interface make it a lot friendlier to use too

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Having a weird issue with the official touchscreen on raspian. If i tap quickly, i get a triple button press, on screen keyboard types "aaa", etc. If i hold it for a few ms, it works like you would expect. xev shows three distinct buttonpress/buttonrelease events 1ms apart with a quick tap. Can't tell where the issue is, thoughts?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bad debounce would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ItBurns posted:

No. It doesn't rely on DNS. The pfsense plugin doesn't work either.

Is there any workaround for the windows 10 telemetry