Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I feel like I've asked this before but are there any magic items in the officially published books that give monks extra Ki to play with, or even interact with Ki in any way?

I'm surprised they gave the healing monk an additional resource to manage, instead of just making his healing cost ki, since that's what he's using to magically heal people flavor wise anyway, and giving him extra ki over the other paths to do so. You might make the argument that giving him extra ki would be abused to do things other than heal, but the healing path is already such an opportunity cost to not be able to do cool poo poo like quivering palm. I don't see what he could abuse it to do that would be too broken.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Hows the new ranger? What's the verdict on him?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FAT BATMAN posted:

I feel like I've asked this before but are there any magic items in the officially published books that give monks extra Ki to play with, or even interact with Ki in any way?

KI IS NOT MAGIC IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT :colbert:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AlphaDog posted:

*looks at Monk page* (or memory thereof)

"Header: The Magic of Ki"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

no magic

no magic

you're the magic :trumppop:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

*looks at Monk page* (or memory thereof)

"Header: The Magic of Ki"

It's like how a troll regenerates or a dragon breathes fire. Obviously magical but not magic.

If it was magic then a wizard or maybe a cleric could do it too and all the abilities would say "as if you'd cast the spell whatever"...

Wait, poo poo.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Let me rephrase, is there any equipment or treasure, enchanted or otherwise, that interacts with ki in anyway?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Not that I know of.

e: I can't find any mention of "ki" in the treasure section of the DMG. There might be something from a supplement or article, but I can't be bothered going through all those.

e2: It seems like a weird omission. :effort: though.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 13, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway this is still play test material. Most of this stuff will be touched up on.

Has this ever actually happened, outside of shovelling it out again in SCAG or the POTA supplement?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Would it be fair to expect Ki items from WotC, or would they argue that then they would have to make items that interact with Rage, and superiority dice, and cunning action, and shapeshifting, and familiars?

Edit: like, there should definitely be an item that increases how many times a Druid can shapeshift before they need a long rest.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 13, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

Has this ever actually happened, outside of shovelling it out again in SCAG or the POTA supplement?

Yeah there's a close to 0% chance any of this is released anywhere else or is ever edited in any way.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FAT BATMAN posted:

Would it be fair to expect Ki items from WotC, or would they argue that then they would have to make items that interact with Rage, and superiority dice, and cunning action, and shapeshifting, and familiars?

It'd be fair to expect magic items that interacted with each class subsystem, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Path of Tranquility: Prevent opponents from hitting you in combat.

Healing Hands: Heals combat damage. Explicitly usable the same round you're attacking someone.

Emissary of Peace: Not combat-specific. (One out of 5 ain't bad!)

Douse The Flames Of War: Prevent an opponent from attacking in combat, as long as nobody's hit it yet.

Anger of a Gentle Soul: Do more damage in combat.

Ok.

I worded it wrong. I meant not focused on hitting things to death in combat. (Which it can do. But it is more defensive.)

P.d0t posted:

The only things that have been released from the UA are the Swashbuckler and Storm Sorcerer. Which did slightly change wording wise from the UA version. Which is what I referring to.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah there's a close to 0% chance any of this is released anywhere else or is ever edited in any way.

Given that they changed this from once a month to once a week for a while and are doing each class. It's likely they are planning a mechanical expansion. For whatever stuff makes it in (Which will probably be the most well received stuff.) There is likely to be some slight wording changes like the SCAG. I don't expect any major changes.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 13, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't expect any major changes.

...to the "playtest" material.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

...to the "playtest" material.

Well I don't expect that the stuff people don't like will be used at all. Depending on it's quality playtest stuff does not have to be be changed. And most of the Sub classes they have presented are pretty good quality wise. I expect small little touch ups.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hows the new ranger? What's the verdict on him?

Not fantastic, but much improved. I'd be willing to play one now.

The good:
-They have features that are combat-relevant at level 1. The lack of them was a pretty conspicuous gap in the PHB Ranger's design.
-All of the core class features are more useful, some significantly so.
-Beastmaster is no longer hot garbage.
-The new Deep Stalker conclave is quite solid: expanded spell list, extra save proficiency reasonably early on, perks during the first round of combat, and a really cool niche in being really good at sneaking around in the dark and ambushing enemies.

The bad:
-There's still little reason to play one past level 11, although they multiclass quite nicely with other dex/wis-based classes.
-Beastmaster pet scaling isn't constrained by "Ranger level", but rather just "level" and proficiency bonus. This opens up some really crazy multiclass shenanigans for anyone with the prereqs, considering the pet isn't that much less useful than a Fighter/Barbarian.
-A couple missed opportunities. All conclaves should probably have an expanded spell list like the Deep Stalker to better compete with the options open to Paladins. Favored Enemy, while more useful than before, still relies on the adventure and DM to determine its usefulness. I remember someone in this thread pitching the idea that Favored Enemy should instead provide perks to help deal with your choices' characteristics, not the creatures themselves. For example, if you chose dragons as a favored enemy, you might have resistance to one or two flavors of elemental damage and some kind of bonus against flying creatures. If you chose Kobolds, maybe an aura to protect yourself and allies against the Pack Tactics feature and some kind of bonus on detecting/disarming traps.
-Hunter level 7/11 features are still of fairly limited use, and it's now probably the weakest of the three Conclave options.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I have to say that personally I'm extremely glad that WotC have carelessly released into the atmosphere yet another reason for my DM and entire table to argue that the monk bonus action attack doesn't get modifiers.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Brain In A Jar posted:

I have to say that personally I'm extremely glad that WotC have carelessly released into the atmosphere yet another reason for my DM and entire table to argue that the monk bonus action attack doesn't get modifiers.

Speaking of, is there a reason why this Unearthed Arcana material keeps getting released as playtest material?

It either breaks convention and established guidelines (sorcs getting additional spells), provides new options that are significantly better martial options that some tables/DM's outright ban (fighter fighting styles), maintains natural language as ruling to further obfuscate actual ruling decisions (Ask Your DMTM)...

Can the current team seriously not be arsed to do so or provide more permanence? ...which I suppose I just answered myself because no more forums for direct feedback. poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Because it allows them to release as shoddy material as they might without being held to a higher standard, and so that they can claim that the game doesn't need errata, and so that they can claim that 5e isn't suffering from the supplement treadmill of its two predecessors.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dinictus posted:

Speaking of, is there a reason why this Unearthed Arcana material keeps getting released as playtest material?

It either breaks convention and established guidelines (sorcs getting additional spells), provides new options that are significantly better martial options that some tables/DM's outright ban (fighter fighting styles), maintains natural language as ruling to further obfuscate actual ruling decisions (Ask Your DMTM)...

Can the current team seriously not be arsed to do so or provide more permanence? ...which I suppose I just answered myself because no more forums for direct feedback. poo poo.

I assume so that they can release all the UA material in book format sometime next year and claim it was 'playtested' by a million fans. Also so they can nerf all the non-wizard options before release.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
WotC's competence aside, releasing playtest materials lets them hey player feedback and massive numbers of edge cases they can't touch testing internally. Then they can refine the ideas and codify them the in the next book release. I don't know how you can impeach that approach.

The recent shotgun blast suggests to me they might be doing a 2.0 PHB.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
That new Kensei (spelling is theirs) monk actually looked really fun to play until Crawford clarified that the intent is that Kensei weapons are not monk weapons and basically makes the features all but unusable with the stuff out of the base class. They almost had it!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

alchahest posted:

That new Kensei (spelling is theirs) monk actually looked really fun to play until Crawford clarified that the intent is that Kensei weapons are not monk weapons and basically makes the features all but unusable with the stuff out of the base class. They almost had it!

What the hell does Kensei Weapon mean then?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

mango sentinel posted:

Man I've only been playing for a few weeks and I figured it out - it means the designer is a fool and to be ignored.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

mango sentinel posted:

It means the developers somehow derive sexual gratification from making monk players cry, as they have since the 3.5 revamp, and needed their fix.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
Well it's right in the unearthed arcana - It's specifically a martial weapon that you can now use str or dex for, and gain other benefits for using. They actually do a fine job of explaining what it is in the actual article, they just decided that it is completely divorced from monk class features.

edit:

And since work is REALLY slow today I have been putzing around and it looks like Mearls has decided to reverse the previous decision and now they are monk weapons. So there is finally a fun monk to play!

alchahest fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 13, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

WotC's competence aside, releasing playtest materials lets them hey player feedback and massive numbers of edge cases they can't touch testing internally. Then they can refine the ideas and codify them the in the next book release. I don't know how you can impeach that approach.

Yea, it worked out well when they playtested the core rules. The refinement of the Fighter was inspiring.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think the best thing to come out of that is that now you can have a monk that uses a bow or crossbow, but rolls strength to hit and damage with it. Not that that would be even remotely good without multiclassing, but poo poo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm playing a monk in a campaign I'm in and just hit 3. He's pretty much pocketed everything he can so far so I'm thinking taking Shadow monk and getting levels in Rogue sometime. I have no idea how well 5e handles multiclassing - is this worth trying out, and when would be a goode time to take Rogue levels?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr E posted:

I'm playing a monk in a campaign I'm in and just hit 3. He's pretty much pocketed everything he can so far so I'm thinking taking Shadow monk and getting levels in Rogue sometime. I have no idea how well 5e handles multiclassing - is this worth trying out, and when would be a goode time to take Rogue levels?

Multiclassing in 5e is mechanically effortless but you really need to map out and optimize ahead of time from the ground up since it tends to be based around synergizing specific abilities/key levels or you can really underpower yourself.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mr E posted:

Honestly it kind of depends and the answer is "no, not usually, but it can."

Basically multiclassing is the ol' 3.5 lego approach to the issue; when you gain a level you basically choose what class to put it in (the default being, "the class I've been playing this whole time") and get the associated benefits from that class. There are some other rules to answer corner cases but that's about it.

So when you look longingly at Rogue ask yourself if you want Sneak Attack or bonus actions to Stealth and see if that's what you want or not, and see how much investment it would require. Most of what Rogue needs are Finesse weapons so unless you're a Dex monk to begin with you wouldn't get a lot of traction out of that multiclass - unless you do, in which case it could potentially be marginally okay.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mr E posted:

Never, because you can't sneak attack with monk unarmed attacks.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

Never, because you can't sneak attack with monk unarmed attacks.

I haven't looked at monk weapons are any of them finesse or is that just plumb not a thing?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Not that your DM™ couldn't change that ruling themselves, but technically, officially, they can't. I forget if it was Mearls or Crawford but they replied to someone directly asking over twitter if sneak attack can be applied to monk unarmed attacks and they said no, because... honestly I forget the reasoning, and it was probably stupid as poo poo because this is 5th edition. I think it's because it's not technically a finesse weapon. Because it is a weapon, but it's also not a weapon. Y'know?

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/537627748617830400

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 13, 2016

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Short swords and daggers are finesse monk weapons, and you'll have two attacks with them at Monk 5. You can't sneak attack off the unarmed bonus attacks from Flurry of Blows, but you can on your main attacks if you wield those.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dick Burglar posted:

Not that your DM™ couldn't change that ruling themselves, but technically, officially, they can't. I forget if it was Mearls or Crawford but they replied to someone directly asking if sneak attack can be applied to monk unarmed attacks and they said no, because... honestly I forget the reasoning, and it was probably stupid as poo poo because this is 5th edition. I think it's because it's not technically a finesse weapon. Because it is a weapon, but it's also not a weapon. Y'know?

Mearls said "Ask your DM"™ but went on to say that he thought it was balanced for any D6 weapon or lower to sneak attack.

To elaborate on my previous and use this as an example: think about what you want the character to do, what you want from the multiclass, if it's better than not multiclassing, and most importantly if it even works the way you assume.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The reason you take Rogue as a Monk is the level 3 ability, Assassinate.
"Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit."

I don't see anything that would limit this from applying to flurry of blows.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC9SF7TOyHQ&t=95s

Don't tell me a Monk can't find an opening in defenses to do extra damage.

OK yeah that is probably more like Stunning Strike, shut up.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
yeah I misread, Kensei is trash again, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

FAT BATMAN posted:

The reason you take Rogue as a Monk is the level 3 ability, Assassinate.
"Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit."

I don't see anything that would limit this from applying to flurry of blows.
Assassinate is a garbage ability unless your DM has a very generous reading of the surprise rules (if he can even parse them) or you like to wander around by yourself a lot. And the advantage is literally a die roll to see if you even get to use it even once a fight.