Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm going mostly for the Apollo module. I live in Orlando and have done some work behind the scenes at KSC so this is another cool checklist item for me. We're probably not going to deal with the hassle of Dulles though.

Food AND museum recommendation--check out the Smithsonian museum of the American Indian. Really interesting exhibits and the food in the Mitsitam cafe was hands down the best place we ate last time we were in DC. Everything is made from scratch in house and the menu is heavily inspired by indigenous dishes. It's a little more expensive at around 15$ a person, but you can try all sorts of awesome dishes you won't find elsewhere. Plus that's honestly about the same price as McDonald's in the air and space museum anyways.

Also, Heavy Seas has a brew pub down in Alexandria, right off the metro. Highly recommend checking that out as well.

The mint is also an interesting tour if you've got time. Plus there's the new MLK statue by Roosevelt's monument, and I believe the African American smithsonian just opened. That one might be hard to get into though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thanks, definitely adding that to our Smithsonian day.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Best of the past few months:

Lamy 2000, the nicest pen I've ever written with. Beautifully designed, and writes so smoothly. Amazing ink capacity too.

What nib did you get on the 2000?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Bottom Liner posted:

Eastern Market

Maybe this is a given, but definitely go here on Saturday. The permanent restaurant in the building proper has really Southern breakfast food/fish as well~

As an additional food recc, try Union Market, right by the NoMa metro (it's the red line, relatively easy trip a bit northeast of the Mall) -- go to Takorean and Mason Dixie Biscuit Company if you can get there before they sell out but you really can't go wrong. It's honestly the best concentration of good food in DC imo (although iirc closed Monday and/or Tuesday).
It's also near H Street, which has more bars/restaurants (including the best/possibly only barcade in DC, Atlas Arcade) and Ethiopic, which is imo the best Ethiopian food in DC and Toki Underground which is v good ramen.

When you go to the zoo, if you want food in the neighborhood Tryst is a nice brunch place like 15 minutes or so walk south of the zoo, and it's in Adams Morgan which is a nice neighborhood to walk around (alternatively, Sakuramen is delicious for lunch/dinner and two doors down).

Also seconding Building Museum, they pretty much always have cool poo poo in the main hall (i.e. giant ball pit, iceberg climbing structures) etc. on top of the really solid normal exhibits.
The Newseum also is probably worth going to at least once as well, it's just off the mall and has a lot of interesting/well-curated exhibits; people tend to really like it.

I'm obviously just hungry, but aside from the museums and whatnot, good food is one of the things DC has a ton of for a city its size.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Megabound posted:

What nib did you get on the 2000?

EF. I try to keep my writing tiny and precise, so all of my pens are EFs unless I'm specifically trying something different. Even with the 2000's notoriously small sweet spot, it's an incredibly smooth writer. I picked it up last time there was a Massdrop and I highly recommend that, too - shipping was faster than expected.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's our loose itinerary, let me know if any big things stick out or are missing, since it's been a while since I was in DC. Definitely looking for any food recommendations as well, since we'll be looking for somewhere nice for our anniversary dinner. The upside of DC is that most of the touristy stuff is free, more money for food and drinks!

Smithsonian Natural History
Smithsonian Air and Space
National Art Gallery
Dupont Circle Market
National Arboretum
National Gallery of Art
National Mall
White House
Library of Congress
Kennedy Center for the Arts
National Zoo
Eastern Market
Holocaust Memorial Museum
Arlington

How many days do you have?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

How many days do you have?

Yea, unless you just plan on riding by in a cab, you will maybe see two of the big museums in a day, tops. There really isnt much to see at the Kennedy Center unless you have tickets to a show and the National Arboretum (if I am thinking of building by the Library of Congress) is really tiny and will be grotesquely hot this time of year and imho isnt worth it.

I have a bunch of friends who work in the museum industry in DC so if you have some specific stuff you are into let me know and I can get some specific recs if you would like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We have 4-5 days. The list is loose, basically letting my wife pick and choose at her pace since she's never been.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Ordered some Journey prints and got them framed

:homebrew:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

charismaslover posted:

Ordered some Journey prints and got them framed

:homebrew:

Is that Mt. Doom in the background?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bottom Liner posted:

We have 4-5 days. The list is loose, basically letting my wife pick and choose at her pace since she's never been.

Arlington is a quarter day and would combine well with a mall walk so you can see all the monuments. There's a public parking lot behind the Jefferson museum. Walk from there to the Lincoln memorial seeing all the ones in between. Then head to the Washington memorial and you will go by the White House. From the White House head to ford theater (small but very good). From there go capitol building. Take a cab back to your car. You'll be tired.

Dedicate a half day to the Smithsonian air museum if you are just kinda into air stuff. Honestly I thought the naval air museum in Pensacola was better. The rocketery was pretty cool. If half a day was enough then waltz over to the Native American museum and eat lunch and check it out.

Another day could be split between the natural history and the national art museum. They are next to each other.

The African American museum had a line around the block so I didn't ever have time for that.

The American History museum is a whole lot of fun. Easily a whole day.

The Smithsonian American Art Museum is a half day. Perhaps combine that with the nearby national building Museum postal museum.

Anyways that's my run down for stuff I've personally done and enjoyed.

Driving sucks. If you can park near a metro station outside of town and take it to the center if you can.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Been printing out a bunch of finger spinners for friends and people at work

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A younger me would have flipped my poo poo at such a waste of Reds

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

So, these came up in the thread before, but I can't be remembering correctly: you just spin them on your fingers? That's it?

Why?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do anything?

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Slimy Hog posted:

So, these came up in the thread before, but I can't be remembering correctly: you just spin them on your fingers? That's it?

Why?

Because I've cracked my phone twice while spinning it on the desk, and I'm a child who can't stand not having anything in my hands to play with.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just got into fancy bearings myself, but tiny fishing ones.

Bearing puller

Bearings!

Not pictured as they are already in my reels, but I got ones with loving ceramic balls and they rule so loving hard.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slimy Hog posted:

Why?

Autism

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Pick posted:

A younger me would have flipped my poo poo at such a waste of Reds

This is the truth.

Now if you really want to spin random things idly with maximum precision you go to http://www.ceramicspeed.com/

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh, it's a fidget!

I get it now. But those are quite big for fidget toys, are they not?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh, it's a fidget!

I get it now. But those are quite big for fidget toys, are they not?

Maybe? But my fingers are twitching looking at those pics. I want one now.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

I love them and have spent far too much money on the expensive ones.

Just got a Zerofeud Compass on Friday and haven't put it down yet.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Don't these cover your fingers in bearing grease?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Apparently, marmalade also = tea.They had this poo poo at costco, it's good. If you make it cold it's like OJ. Didn't mean to reply to myself.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Is there any real benefit to using Reds vs a generic bearing in your spinners?

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

duffmensch posted:

Is there any real benefit to using Reds vs a generic bearing in your spinners?

I didn't think so at first which is why I bought a bunch of cheap ones on amazon. After trying it with the reds, there's a noticeable difference in how smoothly they spin vs the generic ones. If you wanted to go crazy, you could probably pick up $60-$80 ceramic bearings, but I don't need that for a desk toy.

AnimalChin posted:

Don't these cover your fingers in bearing grease?

I wipe them down with a paper towel before I put them in and I haven't gotten any that have been packed with a ton of grease so far, so no issues yet.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

and the National Arboretum (if I am thinking of building by the Library of Congress) is really tiny and will be grotesquely hot this time of year and imho isnt worth it.

I have a bunch of friends who work in the museum industry in DC so if you have some specific stuff you are into let me know and I can get some specific recs if you would like.

Thats theSmithsonian Botanical Gardens, which I tend to like but requires you to strip off your cold weather gear when you get there and put it back on when you leave. Arboretum is near the costco in NE

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I didn't think so at first which is why I bought a bunch of cheap ones on amazon. After trying it with the reds, there's a noticeable difference in how smoothly they spin vs the generic ones. If you wanted to go crazy, you could probably pick up $60-$80 ceramic bearings, but I don't need that for a desk toy.

I wipe them down with a paper towel before I put them in and I haven't gotten any that have been packed with a ton of grease so far, so no issues yet.

Protip, try degreasing the bearings and watch them fly!

Betcha even the cheap ones will spin great once you unpack all that pesky grease. In fact, I'd bet that's the primary noticeable difference in smoothness of the spin. Plain old grease vs some high molybdenum stuff in the reds.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

schreibs posted:

Thats theSmithsonian Botanical Gardens, which I tend to like but requires you to strip off your cold weather gear when you get there and put it back on when you leave. Arboretum is near the costco in NE

Really? I thought the arboretum was the small building and the gardens were like the large garden? Plant people are weird.

But yes, the big one is far nicer.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Mitsitam cafe was hands down the best place we ate last time we were in DC. Everything is made from scratch in house and the menu is heavily inspired by indigenous dishes. It's a little more expensive at around 15$ a person, but you can try all sorts of awesome dishes you won't find elsewhere. Plus that's honestly about the same price as McDonald's in the air and space museum anyways.

Can't echo this enough. To keep it related, we actually bought their cookbook, it was that good.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Bought another Mionix Naos 7000 from Amazon for $40.

Great mouse for palm grip / larger hands.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
One gallon of Panola Gourmet Pepper Sauce:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
New car! No pictures but here's a similar one's appearance in 2 Fast 2 Furious. Mine has a bit more rust and less girls sitting on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF-ASz4UGsA

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

New car! No pictures but here's a similar one's appearance in 2 Fast 2 Furious. Mine has a bit more rust and less girls sitting on it

Let it be remembered that I tried to talk you out of this.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PCOS Bill posted:

Let it be remembered that I tried to talk you out of this.

I'm 100% comfortable not taking your advice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It was my birthday a couple days ago (:yotj:) and got these as gifts:

The Sierra Club messenger bag is lined to make it water resistant, and the Die Hard activity book...
:iia:

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Dec 12, 2016

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I got my sisters that and the Home Alone coloring books!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I bought a jar of snail goo and a lip balm shaped like a peach that inadvertently looks like a boob. It's coming in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

neongrey posted:

I bought a jar of snail goo and a lip balm shaped like a peach that inadvertently looks like a boob. It's coming in the mail.

My wife swears by that snail goo, it's odd but it worked wonders for her.