Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

steinrokkan posted:

We can't sink the made up jobs that only serve to give a veneer of legitimacy to massive corruption and a historically unprecedented theft of public money! Especially if many more people could be employed by spending that money on literally anything else, like paying them to report on the progress of paint drying in empty warehouses or something. It would also create a greater net value for society.

You're in the wrong forum, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

Oh, come on dude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

You may not like my posts, but they create jobs for posters like you who would otherwise have nothing to complain about.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

what happens when AI automates all complaining and there are no threads left for posting men and women like us?? :supaburn:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We're a decade past where any of that matters. Lockmart ensuring parts were made in iirc 48 different states and promising various assembly lines in partner nations was a ploy to get the ball rolling. I'm less concerned about sunk cost than I am about sunk time.

F-15Cs have been literally disintegrating from age/use/abuse for years; I think the last one was built for the USAF in 1979. The assembly line will probably be open until about 2024 or so, assuming nothing derails Qatar's efforts to buy ~36 new F-15s. Without that order, the line closes in two years. The biggest threat with that closure is that the subcontracted parts suppliers will cease production as well...so we're stuck custom fabricating everything we can't pull out of the boneyard in Arizona. For a front-line fighter jet, that's not good. The F-22 was supposed to have taken over by now so we didn't have to worry about any of this, but :shrug:

F-16s have been lawn-darting since the 80s, but our latest and greatest variants, mostly built in the early 1990s, are showing their age. They're becoming more troublesome to keep flying, and while I don't think we've had airframe failures like the F-15's, it's only a matter of time. And considering how fast we've been accruing hours on those airframes (hooray for war), we don't have much of that time left.

Then there's the survivability issue. The Middle East may be called "the sand box" but that's a pretty accurate description of the parts we've been ravaging for the past 15 years, for the Air Force. Lots of sand, and except for accidents or equipment failures, there's little risk of injury or damage. Planning for that kind of permissive environment is inviting disaster; to base major acquisitions decisions which will determine our key weapons systems for nearly half a century on that kind of permissive environment is...gently caress, I don't even know what to call it. It's on par with expecting to survive the Cold War while maintaining B-29s and M1 Garands as our main weapons. Our legacy fighters are the results of R&D programs that began during the Vietnam War. The F-15 was heavily influenced on our early experiences with the F-4, and the F-16 was actually supposed to be a loving daytime interceptor, replacing the F-106...a peak 1950s design. But while we're stretching these antiquated systems along, Russia has fielded several new generations of SAM systems specifically designed to turn F-15s and F-16s into shrapnel. The S-300 (SA-10) has been in the field since 1979 for gently caress's sake. And it's vastly outclassed by the numerous systems that have been deployed since. But here we are, trucking along with too few F-22s to pick up the slack so F-15Cs will continue to be out in front, trying to secure and maintain air superiority and make sure that we keep the streak of "no US forces killed by enemy air strikes since 1953" alive. And we're talking about curtailing F-35 production, which has so many dominoes behind it that it's genuinely scary. The F-16 is even more of a workhorse than the F-15; it actually makes up a HUGE proportion of USAF air-to-surface capability, because they're relatively cheap and disposable compared to F-15Es and heavy bombers. But they're racking up hard hours on those airframes, thanks to being in combat operations since loving Desert Storm (they were the workhorses of Northern and Southern Watch, plus Allied Force).

But it's not just the USAF...the Navy is relying on the F-35C so it can finally divest itself of legacy A/B/C/D Hornets. They're garbage. They were always a hugely compromised design; a weak radar, weak engines, hilariously short range due to fuel capacity. The Super Hornet is better in every way...but not really good in those ways, except the radar. But it still can't carry enough gas to be useful in a lot of situations (like say, OEF), and there are so many problematic systems for maintenance that they're still just barely enough. Yet that's the Navy's go-to for everything. EVERYTHING. That airframe has absorbed the missions of the A-5, A-6, F-4, F-14, and EA-6B. Lucky us.

And yet somehow some of our allies are in even worse condition. Take the Royal Navy, for example. They have exactly one aircraft carrier and exactly zero fixed-wing aircraft for it. QE2 will be delivered next year, replacing HMS Ocean which is being operated like an LHD because - you know - no airplanes. The old Harriers are gone, and all the RN's eggs have been placed in the F-35 basket. Aside from F-16 and F-18 deliveries to glorified third-world allies like Pakistan, the F-35 is the only US-export option. In the meantime, France, England, Sweden, Russia, and China have plenty of options out there. Hell, Turkey's been eyeing the S-400 SAM for months.

We put ourselves in the situation where the F-35 is the only viable option for the next 15-20 years, because that's how long it takes for these programs to play out. It's not a jobs program anymore, it's a national (and alliance) security issue now.

/effortpost

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 12, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

not to worry daddy putin will let us buy russian cold war junk instead once he effortlessly manoeuvres our joke politicians out of the way :smith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

/effortpost

Ok dude, I'm not arguing any of that poo poo, but if this guy wants to come in and talk poo poo on a boondoggle program in what was originally a GBS thread then who cares, that wrong forum poo poo is dumb as gently caress and makes GIP look stupid as gently caress. This isn't the MIC safe zone or whatever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The one I quoted legit reads like a DnD->GIP shitpost. He's made reasoned arguments before in this thread, I know he can do it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Eh, do you man, I shouldn't be back seat moderating or whatever anyhow

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Godholio posted:

:words:
/effortpost

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-intelligence-community-232463

Trump doesn't even bother to read his daily national security summary (because it's written by the nerds who say Russia might be bad and Trump knows perfectly well that Russia is cool and good) (also it's longer than an FHM article and therefore beyond Trump's attention capacity). I don't think he is going to listen to, or care, about the viability of the F-35 program. His agenda is to appear to be doing things. He will tweet poo poo, maybe mention something (perhaps something wildly spun or just plain false) in an interview on Fox, and then delegate the responsibility of doing anything or caring about it at all, to his cabinet.

Or to put it another way, Congress is not going to cancel or defund the F-35 projects because Trump is not going to threaten to veto a budget bill solely on the basis of ongoing funding for the project, and nothing Trump tweets is going to change that. We're all going to have to adjust to the world where our ignoramus president tweets random bullshit at 3AM that everyone should just ignore as the blatantly uninformed drivel that it plainly is. Donald Trump is not the kind of man to adopt a new position overnight and then do months or years of work to transform that position into governmental action.

He is just saying poo poo in order to be heard to be saying poo poo.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Maybe he'll get someone other than lockmart to design a jet that's actually capable of flying now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Trump doesn't even bother to read his daily national security summary (because it's written by the nerds who say Russia might be bad and Trump knows perfectly well that Russia is cool and good) (also it's longer than an FHM article and therefore beyond Trump's attention capacity). I don't think he is going to listen to, or care, about the viability of the F-35 program. His agenda is to appear to be doing things. He will tweet poo poo, maybe mention something (perhaps something wildly spun or just plain false) in an interview on Fox, and then delegate the responsibility of doing anything or caring about it at all, to his cabinet.

Or to put it another way, Congress is not going to cancel or defund the F-35 projects because Trump is not going to threaten to veto a budget bill solely on the basis of ongoing funding for the project, and nothing Trump tweets is going to change that. We're all going to have to adjust to the world where our ignoramus president tweets random bullshit at 3AM that everyone should just ignore as the blatantly uninformed drivel that it plainly is. Donald Trump is not the kind of man to adopt a new position overnight and then do months or years of work to transform that position into governmental action.

:stare: He is the ultimate government worker. :stare:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Trump delegating decision making to his trainwreck of an executive branch and Congress is legitimately terrifying.

Not in a "We're all hosed" sort of way, but in a "America will generate a significant gap between where it should be 10-15 years from now, and where it will be in [insert any topic]" sort of way.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Leperflesh posted:

you want to point out the "uninformed drivel" in that tweet?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

God drat it why the gently caress did we cancel the F-22 Robert Gates you stupid poo poo.

Hasn't the Raptor even seen (limited) use as a bomb truck carrying the SDB, and done pretty decent at it? In any case, I feel like we'd be a lot better off with 381 or 750 Raptors.

Unrelated, here's some pics claiming to be early series production / preproduction J-20s;

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

lDDQD posted:

Maybe he'll get someone other than lockmart to design a jet that's actually capable of flying now.

https://twitter.com/hmmbob/status/805637604917923840

Clearly can't fly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Has Trump ever made an informed decision in his entire life?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Wait, are you referencing a Trump tweet?

:lol:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

While I wouldn't be surprised if someone did exactly that, it's not unpossible the clocks just didn't match.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Either way, within a MINUTE is just incredible to me.

It's just crazy how fast people can move money I guess, not bad or evil or any judgement there, just commenting on the speed of life in the 21st century

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Either way, within a MINUTE is just incredible to me.

It's just crazy how fast people can move money I guess, not bad or evil or any judgement there, just commenting on the speed of life in the 21st century

Firms will pay hundreds of millions of dollars to shave a microsecond off their transaction times in high frequency trading.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I don't doubt that for a second. It's just crazy to me that if people put that amount of effort into anything other than profit how good and cool this world could be.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Firms will pay hundreds of millions of dollars to shave a microsecond off their transaction times in high frequency trading.

That's for something completely different not being able to dump shares quickly before a tweet.

Also it's worth noting that congress controls the f-35 budget, he can't change it overnight and his own party will prob fight him on this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

This is why Trump should divulge financial records. At least he had the good grace to dump his Lockheed stocks as a demonstration of his distaste of their business practices. It'd be hypocritical to do so after his publicly lambasted them.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It would be downright American to complete the r and d for the f35 and then mothball it before it has even the slightest chance of making money from other countries

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
It's Christmas time, brought to you by the MIC

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we'll make more jobs with inventing things for the F35 to do in a future where we'll never actually shoot at someone other than illiterate dirt farmers again

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

While I wouldn't be surprised if someone did exactly that, it's not unpossible the clocks just didn't match.

Right, but that kind of teeter's out beyond a minute differential. I thought that at first too, but when I looked closer I realized it's like 5 minutes - most of the internet won't let ssl/https communication happen (I think)

Either way, I think that the stock markets clocks and twitters clocks are probably within seconds, if not milliseconds, of each other

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
:ssh: Lockheed Martin stock is still up over 5% since Donald Trump was elected on November 8th, off from a high of +11%.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/LMT?ql=1&p=LMT

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Hillary 2020 posted:

It's Christmas time, brought to you by the MIC

Boston Dynamics noooo stoooooop :gonk:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I could make an incredible autonomous donkey robot that would destroy bd

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CommieGIR posted:

Has Trump ever made an informed decision in his entire life?

Boon posted:

Wait, are you referencing a Trump tweet?

:lol:

idk dudes "the f35 program & [its] costs are out of control" shouldn't really be a controversial statement that provokes pearl-clutching indignation. even when he says it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

OMGVBFLOL posted:

idk dudes "the f35 program & [its] costs are out of control" shouldn't really be a controversial statement that provokes pearl-clutching indignation. even when he says it.

b-b-b-but our global hegemony

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I think it was the other part.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Man, if only he'd said that years ago when something could be done abuot it.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

lmao sorry this GBS thread includes opinions that fall outside of the comfort zone of the military hug box you have here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

His 3am tweets in general, not that one specifically, although I can see how I phrased it wasn't clear.

For example:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/806134244384899072

and

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/805538149157969924
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/805539770864693253

and, of course,
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/803567993036754944

LOL

But I do love the idea that Trump thinks he's going to successfully negotiate down the prices of military contracts.

e. Oh god how could I forget
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/802972944532209664

Landslide electoral college in the twentieth percentile of all electoral college victories! (Trump is projected to take 306 electoral votes, which is just shy of 57%. There have been 56 presidential elections in U.S. history, and the winner has done better in 44 of them. That puts Trump's "landslide" in the 20th percentile.) There's also no evidence that even hundreds of voters voted illegally, much less millions.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 13, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

Man, if only he'd said that years ago when something could be done abuot it.

As a fifth column false flag poster I find it important to subvert the public's trust in their government and elites especially if it doesn't lead to a beneficial change in policy, so the takeover we are planning at the Kremlin can proceed as smoothly as possible.

But seriously, people need to be reminded of the lessons of the past as often as possible so their mistakes don't get repeated in the future.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the 3AM tweets just after he wakes up or before he goes to sleep?

• Locked thread