Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Shageletic posted:

Ok. There was a lack of turnout for AAs tho, but you can say that about any demo, Clinton did terribly with all of em compared to Obama.

Aren't her numbers looking pretty comparable with Obama '12 at this point? Granted that's 4 years of population growth, and the voters were in the wrong places, but still...

If the Democrats need Obama '08 numbers to win (incredibly charismatic candidate, economic crisis, very unpopular R incumbent) they're never going to win again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mister Fister posted:

Remember when you used to go into the s4p subreddit and copy/pasted racist posts to the forums from 1 day old accounts due to 4chan invasions?

i remember when asking "jesus christ why are you people literally important your strawmen from reddit?" was a probatable offense :lol:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Women were affected by rust belt job losses. Maybe not as much as men. Yet all the losses in the POC vote were among men. If "jobs" were the explanation, we'd expect to see movement among female POC also. But we don't. Therefore the explanation can't be as simple as jobs, and the obvious explanation for that wide discrepancy--sexism-- must be part of the story.

While I think you're actually probably right about this (I don't understand why people are denying the potential impact of sexism), your evidence is not adequate to prove what you're saying. There are many variables that could cause different voting patterns among men vs women, and it's possible for multiple to be active at once (for example it's possible some women didn't vote for Clinton who would have normally while others voted for her who wouldn't have normally, evening out to roughly the same number).

But the thing about sexism is that, while it's definitely a factor (though I don't think it would have made the difference in this election), just saying "SHE LOST VOTES DUE TO SEXISM" doesn't really accomplish anything. It's only useful to focus on the elements of the election that we do have control over, like the platform or message. Complaining about many voters being racist/sexist is pointless because it won't actually change anything. It's a better idea to isolate factors that can be changed, especially since a relatively small increase in the number of Democratic voters would be enough to make a huge difference.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

Ok. There was a lack of turnout for AAs tho, but you can say that about any demo, Clinton did terribly with all of em compared to Obama.

Not the college educated. She grew 10 points.

She's in a virtual tie with 2012 Obama overall.

Clinton did better with some, worse with others. Trump did WAYYYYY better with uneducated white voters. And Clinton ran up the score in the wrong states.

The problem seems to be, terrifyingly, that Trump was a better candidate than Romney.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

porfiria posted:

Aren't her numbers looking pretty comparable with Obama '12 at this point? Granted that's 4 years of population growth, and the voters were in the wrong places, but still...

If the Democrats need Obama '08 numbers to win (incredibly charismatic candidate, economic crisis, very unpopular R incumbent) they're never going to win again.

Nope significantly worse.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/writeup/clinton_vs_trump_compared_to_obama_vs_romney-204.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/12/06/clinton_s_popular_vote_total_edges_closer_to_obama_s_in_2012.html

She was down about 6 to 7 points in WI and PA, about 5 points in MI, 3 or 4 in FL, and tanked in OH.

Overall turnout was down 2 percent compared to 2012. And it fell a little over that in states that Clinton won.

quote:

The drop in turnout was uneven. On average, turnout was unchanged in states that voted for Trump, while it fell by an average of 2.3 percentage points in states that voted for Clinton. Relatedly, turnout was higher in competitive states — most of which Trump won. In the 14 swing states — those where either the winning party in the presidential race switched from 2012 or where the margin was within 5 percentage points — an average of 65.3 percent of eligible voters cast ballots. In the other 36 states and Washington, D.C., turnout averaged just 56.3 percent.1

That gap exacerbates a tendency for turnout to be higher in the places where candidates concentrate their travel, advertising and other get-out-the-vote efforts.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/voter-turnout-fell-especially-in-states-that-clinton-won/

This was a rout.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Clinton did better with some, worse with others. Trump did WAYYYYY better with uneducated white voters. And Clinton ran up the score in the wrong states.

The problem seems to be, terrifyingly, that Trump was a better candidate than Romney.

Not necessarily a better candidate, but a candidate more suited to the context of the elections they ran in. I don't believe Trump would have beaten Obama if he ran in 2012 for instance

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

rscott posted:

Not necessarily a better candidate, but a candidate more suited to the context of the elections they ran in. I don't believe Trump would have beaten Obama if he ran in 2012 for instance

I don't think so either, but then again, I was really confident that he wouldn't win this one, either!

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Did you not see the link at the top of that article?

quote:

Stories are still circulating a week after the election that turnout fell sharply from 2012. That’s almost certainly not true. The confusion is the result of news outlets trying to pin down voter turnout figures quickly in a system that doesn’t count millions of votes until weeks after the election.

We now know that overall voter turnout was up, not down. If you only look at major party votes, it was down, but much less than originally believed. And it's very different in different places: down in MI and WI, but up quite a bit in PA and FL, for example.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

What sources are you using? Here's the CNN exit polls 2016: http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

Clinton got 49% of the college educated, with Trump getting 44%.

Obama got 47% in 2012, with Romney getting 51%: http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

She grew significantly among college educated women true, but.....

yoctoontologist posted:

Did you not see the link at the top of that article?

We now know that overall voter turnout was up, not down. If you only look at major party votes, it was down, but much less than originally believed. And it's very different in different places: down in MI and WI, but up quite a bit in PA and FL, for example.

We're talking about turnout in states that Clinton won in swing states. AA share of the vote in PA dropped three percent for example, while young and minority votes depreciating compared to 2012 is why Trump won MI.

He is right about the numbers fully revealing themselves later (especially with some Census results coming out next year). But if you take account of how much the electorate grew and the states and demos she needed to win, Clinton did a pretty woeful job.

EDIT: And we're talking about swing states that Clinton lost as well, just to be clear.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

rscott posted:

I don't think Obama would have lost to Trump in 2016 either actually. Clinton's campaign was so inept, she lost the most winnable election ever. It's quite a feat actually.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

While I think you're actually probably right about this (I don't understand why people are denying the potential impact of sexism), your evidence is not adequate to prove what you're saying. There are many variables that could cause different voting patterns among men vs women, and it's possible for multiple to be active at once (for example it's possible some women didn't vote for Clinton who would have normally while others voted for her who wouldn't have normally, evening out to roughly the same number).

But the thing about sexism is that, while it's definitely a factor (though I don't think it would have made the difference in this election), just saying "SHE LOST VOTES DUE TO SEXISM" doesn't really accomplish anything. It's only useful to focus on the elements of the election that we do have control over, like the platform or message. Complaining about many voters being racist/sexist is pointless because it won't actually change anything. It's a better idea to isolate factors that can be changed, especially since a relatively small increase in the number of Democratic voters would be enough to make a huge difference.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but what evidence do you think IS sufficient to prove sexism exists and affects the behavior of the electorate? And isn't the data we have insufficient to prove any sort of causal explanation for voter behavior? Where's the bulletproof data that voters rejected neoliberalism, or that they thought hillary was too close to the big banks, or didn't vote because she said the word superpredators in the 90's?

When people are arguing that clinton's loss proves her ideas were bad and the party is a failure, suggesting "well, sexism played a role here" isn't a distraction or a waste of time.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Shageletic posted:

We're talking about turnout in states that Clinton won in swing states. AA share of the vote in PA dropped three percent for example, while young and minority votes depreciating compared to 2012 is why Trump won MI.

Partially agreed re: MI, although Trump did have higher turnout than Romney in rural areas. In PA, Clinton got about ~60,000 fewer votes than Obama 2012, and Trump got ~300,000 more than Romney. (The population of PA has increased by about 100,000 during that time.) Obama voters failing to turn out were a significant problem, but less so than increased Republican turnout.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do we know if migration played a role? Did Obama voters move to California?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure we'll know until the 2020 census, and even then the data's going to be murky.

Here's a thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_growth_rate

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but what evidence do you think IS sufficient to prove sexism exists and affects the behavior of the electorate? And isn't the data we have insufficient to prove any sort of causal explanation for voter behavior? Where's the bulletproof data that voters rejected neoliberalism, or that they thought hillary was too close to the big banks, or didn't vote because she said the word superpredators in the 90's?

When people are arguing that clinton's loss proves her ideas were bad and the party is a failure, suggesting "well, sexism played a role here" isn't a distraction or a waste of time.

Yeah, that is a fair point, though I think better evidence would be stuff like studies/polls explicitly indicating sexist attitudes among the population (which obviously definitely exist). I think that "here is evidence people are sexist, ergo Clinton probably lost at least some votes due to sexism" is a more solid argument than "there's a change in the way genders voted, ergo Clinton lost votes due to sexism" (though I would argue that the latter evidence is still good enough to at least indicate that the issue should be examined further).

It does concern me to see people having these knee-jerk reactions against the idea that many voters are motivated by stuff like racism/sexism. While I probably align with them more closely in terms of what I think future strategy should be, I feel like there's this strong urge to reinforce a particular narrative (that Democrats lost due to abandoning the working class) that results in people ignoring or tossing out anything that doesn't explicitly support that narrative. I think that the narrative is pretty accurate, but the fact that the Democrats have largely abandoned the working class is not mutually exclusive with other factors that could have lead to people voting for Trump or not voting for Democrats. I just think it should be focused on because it's the factor we have the most potential control over (since you're not going to persuade people to vote differently just by calling them bigots, even if they are bigots).

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I have a relative who works for big time union here in PA and she was absolutely losing her poo poo because some union guys were straight up telling her stuff like they think women are too weak to be President. She's enough "one of the guys" with them because of how long she has been at this that they didn't even feel the need to dog whistle it. She was seriously talking about quitting when organized labor has been part of her life's work. Misogyny was absolutely one of the factors in Clinton's loss.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I agree. I don't think the democrats are going to change any bigots' minds by calling them bigots. I'd add that the people refusing to consider the existence of racism or sexism, particularly among the white working class electorate, are actively harming efforts to craft an economic message that appeals to these voters. Expanding social services might be a lot more vulnerable to appeals to racism than increasing the minimum wage, for example. The southern strategy was about using appeals to racism to resist the expansion of the welfare state, and it worked. It still could. Perhaps it just did.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

"gosh i'd really love to help you but you're just being such a bigot about everything" - a liberal

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I want to help you but you keep falling for racist nonsense, maybe I should re-think my approach -- a reasonable person

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I remember reading these http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-we-dont-know-how-much-sexism-is-hurting-clintons-campaign/ http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gender-might-matter-in-this-election-but-other-factors-probably-matter-more/back when we all thought Clinton was going to win in a landslide. It seems like a difficult variable to isolate, since there's been exactly one major female candidate in a US presidential election.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

I'd add that the people refusing to consider the existence of racism or sexism, particularly among the white working class electorate, are actively harming efforts to craft an economic message that appeals to these voters.

Is there anyone who denies the existence of sexism or racism? Who are you arguing against exactly?

Nobody thinks racism or sexism aren't in play when an election comes up, but saying "wow we didn't realize people were as willing to vote for a racist" doesn't really follow to "those people are racist". You cannot hold the voter accountable for being in favor of every single facet of their choice come lesser of two evils day. Hillary couldn't change her gender so acting like it was a problem this election is kind of missing the point, which is that the things she could have done she didn't do. So of course people are going to focus on those things.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 13, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Obama gave a great speech on race in America after the Jeremiah Wright thing. Obviously it didn't get open racists to stop being racists, but it did appeal to people who aren't open racists and believe Obama might be a President who could work to heal some of the divides. It gave people an image of Obama that was very different from Wright's more rage filled (but not entirely wrong) approach on the topic. He turned the attacks into a way to appeal to the reachable people while still not giving ground to the unapproachable sort of racists.

When I try and think of how Clinton tried to judo flip on the misogyny topic I think of stuff like the woman cards or saying she can't be an insider because she is a woman. She had the right idea. Can't change that she's a woman and there is a lot of misogyny out there, so turn it into a political strength where you can. Problem is...that kind of stuff didn't have the broad appeal of Obama giving a kickass speech. The strategy and execution just was not there with the Clinton campaign even when they had the right general ideas. You didn't have to be an open misogynist to find woman cards and the idea that she isn't an insider kind of ridiculous.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Is there anyone who denies the existence of sexism or racism? Who are you arguing against exactly?

Nobody thinks racism or sexism aren't in play when an election comes up, but saying "wow we didn't realize people were as willing to vote for a racist" doesn't really follow to "those people are racist". You cannot hold the voter accountable for being in favor of every single facet of their choice come lesser of two evils day. Hillary couldn't change her gender so acting like it was a problem this election is kind of missing the point, which is that the things she could have done she didn't do. So of course people are going to focus on those things.

Do you want me to quote all the people who called me a Hillary apologist when pointing out racism and sexism exist and affected the election?

If people voted for Trump because appeals to racism work, that's important to recognize when crafting our message. We'd want to craft a message that was least vulnerable to appeals to racism. That might mean focusing less on expanding social services, and more on things like minimum wage and the EITC, because social services are easier to demagogue as "handouts to lazy brown people". It might also mean hawkish or isolationist foreign policy is a lot more popular than a dovish alternative, or that protecting domestic workers is important when negotiating trade deals but foreign workers don't matter. Winning the votes of a racist electorate is not going to be fun or even necessarily possible without compromising some of our principles.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Do you want me to quote all the people who called me a Hillary apologist when pointing out racism and sexism exist and affected the election?

"I'm not a hillary apologist."
\

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There were a lot of cool, inspiring, historic pictures of Obama taken during his campaign trails: him addressing stadiums full of excited people, lights shining strategically to make him look awe-inspiring, tears and sweat streaming down his face as he gave impassioned speeches.

I cannot recall seeing a single picture of Hillary that was half as good as any of those.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Calaveron posted:

There were a lot of cool, inspiring, historic pictures of Obama taken during his campaign trails: him addressing stadiums full of excited people, lights shining strategically to make him look awe-inspiring, tears and sweat streaming down his face as he gave impassioned speeches.

I cannot recall seeing a single picture of Hillary that was half as good as any of those.

passing out and being thrown in a van like a sack of potatoes i think really resonated with voters in a similar way

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Sure, because I don't think anyone's doing that. They are calling you a Hillary apologist because you're making bizarre theories up that are primarily based on race or gender which we can do literally nothing about. You're talking about changing messaging but really if we're going to talk about things Hillary could have controlled, complaining that the electorate is more sexist and racist than you thought (hint: it always was this way and both parties know it) is irrelevant to the point other people are trying to make, which is that many of the things Hillary COULD have done she DIDN'T. Now, you seem hesitant to call that a "bad candidate", if you could just admit that maybe not running for President with an active FBI investigation and the sort of baggage (superpredators) she had was not really the most strategic of moves. Most/many people viewed this election as a "landslide" waiting to happen, but it never did. Nobody thinks Trump won the election because he ran a good campaign (by almost any measure he didn't), they think he won because Hillary ran a bad campaign (ie the thing she could have chosen to not do). And the backdoor insinuation that because the electorate is misogynist we shouldn't run women kind of falls flat on its face when you look at how other elections end up when it comes to a gender showdown. A woman could have won this election. Hillary could not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chris Hayes did a town hall on MSNBC with Bernie Sanders and a bunch of Trump voters from WI. They were just as big loving morons as I expected.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Sure, because I don't think anyone's doing that. They are calling you a Hillary apologist because you're making bizarre theories up that are primarily based on race or gender which we can do literally nothing about.

Bizarre theories like appeals to racism might have worked and sexism affected both white and non-white men?

mcmagic posted:

Chris Hayes did a town hall on MSNBC with Bernie Sanders and a bunch of Trump voters from WI. They were just as big loving morons as I expected.

WE CANT CHANGE THAT STOP DISTRACTING FROM HILLARY'S TERRIBLENESS

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 13, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I blame misogynist rap lyrics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I blame misogynist rap lyrics.

. . . b-but Hamilton

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Bizarre theories like appeals to racism might have worked

Yes, what does this even mean? Appealing to racism?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I blame the capitalist ruling class who forced misogynistic ideology on men of color as a tool to divide their class consciousness.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yes, what does this even mean? Appealing to racism?

Build a wall, deport em all, chinese are cheating us, law and order. Campaigning for the racist vote.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Build a wall, deport em all, chinese are cheating us, law and order. Campaigning for the racist vote.

And you think this is actually a reasonable course for Democrats as opposed to just appealing to the working class? What makes you so sure the Democrats need to be more racist to win an election?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

NewForumSoftware posted:

(superpredators)

I wonder how much this issue actually affected black voters. I suspect many or most who voted Trump did so for the same reasons white votersin the rust bel did .

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nevvy Z posted:

I wonder how much this issue actually affected black voters. I suspect many or most who voted Trump did so for the same reasons white votersin the rust bel did .

Out of all the things charged against Clinton, it seemed to get the least traction.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mcmagic posted:

Yeah what a bunch of idiots complaining about jobs being lost and feeling like politicians don't care about them.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Nevvy Z posted:

Well, I don't think "superpredators" had any sway, but I think the policy decisions pursued by her husband were certainly projected on to her. I don't think that's completely invalid, but I think it's safe to say that you're going to lose some votes going from Obama, a guy who is black and had a relatively clean record, especially when it came to race. Hillary's past is much more checkered although I doubt addressing it publicly would have helped her much. That's kind of the problem when you want to follow in the footsteps of a guy who ran on "change" and you have a history of establishment politics. She was never going to get the voters Obama had and it was pretty clear from the get-go she was going to have these sorts of issues. Whether it's sexism, racism, economics, etc, she had mixed bag of past actions and failing to come out strong with a new platform was a big misstep in my eyes. I get that she had a platform and it wasn't that bad, but for all the reasons previously mentioned(primarily that she was counting on DJT shooting himself in the foot), nobody heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Out of all the things charged against Clinton, it seemed to get the least traction.

Mainly because black voters aren't idiots and are well aware that this was only brought up to concern troll about how democrats are the real racists. The crime bill was a mistake, but the situations in the 90s were very rough and they got credit in the community for at least trying, and then owning up to the mistake.

• Locked thread