Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

net work error posted:

How long does miso keep in the fridge once opened?

I don't think we've ever had a batch go bad before finishing it. We've definitely had some in the fridge for over 6 months and it was still fine. Until you see mold on it would probably be the best answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

net work error posted:

How long does miso keep in the fridge once opened?

Long enough you are unlikely to see it go bad. If it gets moldy toss it. The color at the top will change with oxidation, it doesn't seem to change the flavor or anything but you can keep it with plastic wrap pushed up against it if you want. I just ziploc it and don't worry about it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Do they sell them at Coco Curry or grocery stores? I just found a wider variety at a new store here and picked up Java to try. Also a lot of honey and apple ones, apparently it's a thing? I didn't know there were so many Jews in Japan.

IIRC you buy them only at Coco Curry itself. There should be a display next to the cash register.

Honey and apples are both pretty common ingredients in curry. I never add honey when I make my own roux, but I will occasionally use apple because it's not overwhelmingly sweet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone know what miora does? The internet tells me it "improves sushi rice" but without any detail what that means.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It's usually a powdered blend of amylase and glutamates, sometimes with extra starches. Amylase is the same enzyme present in saliva. Amylase and water break down starches into sugars, so adding amylase to rice will soften it and probably boost sweet flavors. The MSG or kombu powder add a savory kick. The starches probably act as filler, keep the powder from clumping, and improve stickiness for shaping nigiri. There's a post here about the miora one dude uses. Take it with a grain of rice, I guess? :shrug: I don't think miora really improves sushi over the traditional seasoning.

I use powdered enzyme amylase to brew makgeolli from rice, and that stuff does rapidly break cooked rice down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cool thanks. That sounds kind of dumb and gross so I don't think I'll get any.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If my ponzu sauce has lemon in it and not yuzu, is it still legit? I quite like it still, great stuff.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yuzu and lemon taste pretty different, but if you like it, don't worry about it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made oyakodon for dinner, and I'm surprised at how simple it is. Stock, soy sauce, mirin, simmer some onions and chicken thighs in it, pour on some egg when the thighs are done. Spoon over rice. I forgot that I had dashi and used chicken stock instead, but that worked just as well. Definitely making that again in the future, especially since it was really easy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It's a pretty good lunchbox option too if you have access to a microwave. Cool the egg a bit less set than you usually would to account for the microwave and you're set. That was my favorite desk lunch :3:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The typical substitution for yuzu juice is meyer lemon juice with a little orange juice added.

Depending where one lives, it is possible to get yuzu at farmers markets; there are some vendors at the Hollywood & Santa Monica ones who sell fresh ones.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it tasted exactly like you'd think, like gatorade flavored rice.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I made miso soup for the first time. This is great.

I also skipped the part about reheated miso being awful. Not a huge waste, but that blows as I used all my shiitaki and wanted to take some to work :[

what are some other uses for miso paste?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Combine miso of any sort with a small amount of sake and mirin to make a long lasting pickling bed for vegetables like the stalks of broccoli, sliced carrots, green beans, etc. The same mix also is a great medium for marinating meats and soft boiled eggs, just thin with more sale or mirin - the latter will give a sweeter taste obvs. Ginger and garlic and scallions are good ways to adjust the flavor to your liking.

Miso, honey, and butter are great on corn on the cob. Grill the corn, slather that on, then return to heat briefly to caramelize. That's my favorite way to eat corn. :3:

I recently had a miso kabocha pie that was great but I haven't taken the time to try to work out a similar recipe.

Miso makes a pretty good secret ingredients in marinades, sauces, stews, and really any place where a salty, savory boost is desired, esp if the richness of fermented food would work well. The fermentation process gives some of the same flavors as cheese, which is why I think miso can work in desserts -- it fills a similar niche as cream cheese and other dessert cheeses.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Isn't miso paste one of those things that never really goes bad?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 13, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Miso and butter go very well together IMO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've made Chaliapin steak twice now and oh my god, how do people stop themselves from eating this literally every night? I haven't gotten cooking the steak down yet, it's still kinda tough and chewy, but the caramelized onions are just sublime. I really need to get a food processor so I don't have to manually grate the onion, though. :gonk:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you're using a chewier cut, try manually tenderizing it once. It's not as pretty looking, but I find that the results speak for themselves!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If you're using a chewier cut, try manually tenderizing it once. It's not as pretty looking, but I find that the results speak for themselves!

I used a cubed steak tonight. :shobon: I think it might be how I'm cooking it, the inside isn't pink or anything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

I've made Chaliapin steak twice now and oh my god, how do people stop themselves from eating this literally every night? I manually grate the onion, though. :gonk:

What recipe do you use?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I used a cubed steak tonight. :shobon: I think it might be how I'm cooking it, the inside isn't pink or anything.

Hmm! Maybe you're cooking on too high heat, or it really legitimately could still be the cut of beef, assuming your cubesteak isn't a straight up ground beef patty. Sometimes a mechanically tenderized cubesteak will still be kinda tough, which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- it's an economical cut, so concentrating on enhancing its flavor might be more practical than sweating over the tenderness. For regular pounded/perforated style cubesteak, I still salt and rest it, bring the meat to room temp, then cook, and let it rest a bit longer much like a regular cut before plating and saucing.

(Also if you like chaliapin steak you might like pork shogayaki!)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Hmm! Maybe you're cooking on too high heat, or it really legitimately could still be the cut of beef, assuming your cubesteak isn't a straight up ground beef patty. Sometimes a mechanically tenderized cubesteak will still be kinda tough, which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- it's an economical cut, so concentrating on enhancing its flavor might be more practical than sweating over the tenderness. For regular pounded/perforated style cubesteak, I still salt and rest it, bring the meat to room temp, then cook, and let it rest a bit longer much like a regular cut before plating and saucing.

(Also if you like chaliapin steak you might like pork shogayaki!)

High heat is a good guess. It's probably a combination of that and the time spent sauteeing. It's not like, tough, so maybe I was overhyping the tenderness portion of it all, but I'm still curious what the tenderness is supposed to be like. Salting is also a good idea...does Chaliapin steak have a sauce associated with it? I thought it was just onions.

I tried making shogayaki once or twice, but I always had to manually pound out the pork to the right thickness since I could never find pork slices like the ones in that video. It never quite came out right. :pwn: But shogayaki sauce is pretty ace.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've seen some chaliapin recipes that start and garnish with garlic oil, but I meant in general -- a lot of cubesteak recipes have a sauce. Thinking about it is making me hungry...

If you're cooking the cubesteak to well done anyway, low and slow might be a better route -- that might help turn some of the connective tissue nice and tender. You're probably always going to have some chewiness with cubesteak unless you get a really tender cut and then tenderize it on top of that (which kinda misses the point imo).

For the thinly sliced pork, you might be able to get someone at your grocery's butcher counter to do it. Otherwise, a lot of Korean and Japanese markets will have thinly sliced pork and beef in their freezer section. Not sure about other Asian markets, but if there's a convenient one nearby, it never hurts to check. Those thin slices are good for hotpot too. The best I can manage at home is partially freezing the meat, slicing it as thinly as I can with a very sharp knife, and then pounding it out a bit. It's not quite the same, as you said.

I've heard a lot of grocery meat sections aren't really offering butcher services to customers anymore, which is a shame. I haven't encountered this yet myself, though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
A friend from Japan came by today brought some wagyu beef bacon. Any ideas on how to cook this up as the center point of a dish?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

SweetBro posted:

A friend from Japan came by today brought some wagyu beef bacon. Any ideas on how to cook this up as the center point of a dish?

Some friends and I were joking about how we thought this: https://www.costco.com/Authentic-Japanese-Wagyu-New-York-Strip-Loin-Roast%2c-A-5-Grade-13lbs.product.100311362.html looks kinda gross actually and would be difficult to cook, and someone brought this link up: http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-cook-wagyu-the-most-expensive-steak-ever-at-home-article

Never done it myself but it seems like screaming host cast iron + salt & pepper is probably the way to go on any premium cuts.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Wagyu steaks are best cut at around half an inch to an inch, seared quickly over high heat if you want crust, then finished over medium heat imo. I'm not a huge fan of wagyu for steaks though, I think wagyu shines brightest in shabu shabu and (heresy incoming) stews. The place I buy meat here (Tokyo) sells off cuts of wagyu for stew and lemme tell you beef bourguignon with wagyu is some good poo poo.

Here's some shots of one of my better attempts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I hosed up oyakodon:

- put the heat on way too high so all the sauce and liquid evaporated
- chicken thigh went bad and all I had were eggs so I could only make kodon
- as such I used two eggs and extra onion+green onion as filler, ended up making a weird egg dish
- used way too much chicken stock over soy sauce and mirin, sink's already full and I didn't wanna do dishes

Dish came out tasteless and unfilling. :( Next time, I gotta actually measure my stuff out and pay attention to the drat recipe. As an aside, am I required to use one of the fancy pans for this, or would a 6-inch saucepan work fine?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

No fancy pan needed but I feel like there's just so much substitution/ommission going on there it was bound to not really work out.
Also, I don't think I've ever seen one with chicken stock in it before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had chicken stock already and I was lazy and didn't feel like pulling out the dashi powder. v:v:v I should do it the right way next time.

If it matters, this is the recipe I was (supposed to) follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSKWTtzumg I really shouldn't be going off on my own, I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Would have just made a simple fried rice at that point, myself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been trying to avoid carbs (which doesn't jive too well with Japanese food, I know), so I didn't make rice or anything. Plus I have my slow cooker going so plugging in the rice cooker too would've tripped a breaker or something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
So you boiled onions and eggs? I mean, oyakodon is chicken/eggs over rice so I'm not sure how you omitted the rice.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pollyanna posted:

I had chicken stock already and I was lazy and didn't feel like pulling out the dashi powder. v:v:v I should do it the right way next time.

If it matters, this is the recipe I was (supposed to) follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSKWTtzumg I really shouldn't be going off on my own, I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that off.

That recipe as he makes it seems pretty solid imo so it's probably worth another try.
I would definitely recommend of all the things though, keeping it as dashi instead of chicken stock, as I just feel like that would so fundamentally change the flavor as to be very different from the intended dish.

Weirdly, I was just thinking about some of the more classic homestyle Japanese recipes, many of which are stewed and involve some varying proportion of the building block ingredients (sugar, salt, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, miso, sake, dashi and mirin, etc) don't really give themselves to improvisation, maybe because of the delicate flavors in some of the dishes? I was just considering how I think if I fudged a few things in a western stew I might not know the difference but in oyako-don or chikuzen-ni or something, the flavor would probably feel really "off" to me.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

totalnewbie posted:

So you boiled onions and eggs? I mean, oyakodon is chicken/eggs over rice so I'm not sure how you omitted the rice.

Oh uhhh.... hmmm yeah, I kind of feel like that is not going to be appealing in general. The texture is basically asking to go over rice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, it's...been kinda rough. I'm probably gonna lay off the no-carbs thing, at least for stuff I cook myself. It's really, really disappointing without them.

And yeah, I boiled onions and eggs. :downs: It wasn't that bad, considering, though I sorely missed the rice while I was eating it. Traditional Japanese recipes don't really take well to substitution and improvisation, which sucks a bit for me since I have to go out of my way to get some of the less common ingredients, but I'll deal with it. I've definitely ended up with crappy food more when trying Japanese food than other cuisines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 13, 2017