Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zins recite is crazy strong.

Orcs killing each other and demons turning into salt for no cost no piety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How do you know when to switch to the next weapon tier? Like if I had a +6 Pike vs a +1 Demon Trident. How far apart do they need to be to justify the change?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Well, Pikes don't exist as a standard type. Halberd? Trident?
There is some FSIM functionality you can run in wizmode to actually calculate an exact answer, but in general the rule of thumb is - does this tank my delay to something abominable, and does my accuracy suck? Usually the preceding are the same thing, but Fighting, slaying, and the high enchants complicate things. I might switch to a heavy but slow weapon occasionally for things in plate or damned imps, but I will absolutely never use a melee weapon with delay over 1.2 against a fast poisonous monster like wasps unless it's the first couple of floors. If I'm not strained for weapons, I'll switch around 1.1 delay and keep on training.

For a more mathematical answer
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=weapon%20damage
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=str
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=skill%20bonus

The gist of this is fighting and weapon skills offer a percentage boost to damage while +s only offer a simple plus. If I math correctly, every five weapon skill offers 20% more potential damage, while every five fighting offers roughly 17% more potential damage. Balance that against enemy AC, EV, speed, and your delay + tohit.

I think a rule of thumb i've heard bandied about is roughly two or three plus equivalent to one base damage, but I usually do it by feel, so can't say much.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 13, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Goodpancakes posted:

How do you know when to switch to the next weapon tier? Like if I had a +6 Pike vs a +1 Demon Trident. How far apart do they need to be to justify the change?
In general, it takes a shitload of enchantment for a lower tier weapon to be noticably better than a higher tier one. I wouldn't worry much about it unless you have a +11 randart or something similarly crazy. The real deciding factor is brands and skills.

Certain utility brands may be worth keeping a lower-tier weapon for, depending on branch(flaming bladed weapons for Lair/Swamp, holy weapons for demonic/undead-heavy areas, etc). A few other brands are good for a really long time(venom, elec), so it's more of a judgement call for when the low damage outweighs the good brand. As far as skills go, my rule of thumb is to switch to a higher-tier weapon once I can swing at 1.0 delay. You can keep an eye on accuracy if you want, but it shouldn't be a concern as long as your delay is reasonable.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Can Of Worms posted:

Current Ru Centaur status: Got the Swamp rune. Still at 0 Skill.

How are you killing things between big targets? Are you literally just apocalypseing everything, which is essentially free now that you have 0 skills?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That's prety much it. I camp at a staircase, if something I can't kill normally walks into view I Apocalypse. If it's not dead It's usually either paralyzed or slow, so I can always go up the stairs and wait out the exhaustion, which is short enough that whatever's still alive is still at low health, then I Apocalypse again (which usually kills it). The noise usually attracts even more monsters to continue the Apocalypse cycle. I checked the logs and I've used Apocalypse over 200 times :shepface:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The gloves of dying in an ice cave

e: I got them from acquirement

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Let me describe FeCj of Jiyva gameplay: Summon prism, a jelly appears, jelly gets hit by prism, penance. I went into penance 6 times before reaching a lair rune.

Also I don't think it's described anywhere that Jivya gives you TRJ-style jelly spawning. It's kind of a huge deal, because spawning multiple allied acid blobs or azure jellies is basically a free win against everything except abjuring elves all the way up to your third rune.
Unless it spawns right before your prism explodes and turns hostile.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Can Of Worms posted:

That's prety much it. I camp at a staircase, if something I can't kill normally walks into view I Apocalypse. If it's not dead It's usually either paralyzed or slow, so I can always go up the stairs and wait out the exhaustion, which is short enough that whatever's still alive is still at low health, then I Apocalypse again (which usually kills it). The noise usually attracts even more monsters to continue the Apocalypse cycle. I checked the logs and I've used Apocalypse over 200 times :shepface:

So other than breath there's nothing now stopping you from killing literally everything with apocalypse?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm just imagining a broken being suffering heavily from PTSD turning slowly to some enemy and, unblinking, yell something incoherent but *strong* to keep it away. If it doesn't work, he catches his breath and does it again. Because how can he distinguish the hallucination from reality anymore?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darox posted:

Also I don't think it's described anywhere that Jivya gives you TRJ-style jelly spawning.

Good catch - honestly, I'd thought that was a J mut. Fixed, thanks!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Floor god is very underrated . Wish we could pray to her.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

euphronius posted:

Floor god is very underrated . Wish we could pray to her.

That's what we do every game, regardless of other deity choices.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just dodged an OoD by using Uskayaw's line pass on it. Where's my Crawl crown?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just dodged an OoD by using Uskayaw's line pass on it. Where's my Crawl crown?

That's pretty cool but have you ever played tennis with Donald when you both have shields of reflection and endlessly bounce an OoD back and forth?

I haven't but still...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's a strange game, the winning move is not to play.. :v:

I prefer the game where you try to get as many OODs in stable orbit around you as you can.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there some rcfile setting that can disable tab if I'm healthy but corroded? Just lost a character to wondering why an entropy weaver was taking so long to die and discovering I was at -20

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Sage Grimm posted:

It's a strange game, the winning move is not to play.. :v:

I prefer the game where you try to get as many OODs in stable orbit around you as you can.

I wonder if anyone has ever strangled 7 enemies at once as an octopode? Now that's a feat.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You can force --more-- on all corrosion monsters. I don't know if you can force it on being corroded.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am very purple.

Someone find me some purple armor.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Randart Ring Mail is purple, go rock it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hmm, yes, slightly more purple.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Something tells me this character is gonna be doing pretty well. Between the air magic aoe spells and the minor magic spellbook's utility, I can handle just about any challenge the game throws at me right now. Just gotta take it slow and not get cocky so I don't gently caress up this insane loot I've been finding.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Terrible news, everybody!

Ogres and High Elves have been removed :(

A dark, dark day for crawl.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
That commit says Ogre spell casting aptitudes were increased to -1 across the board and M&F reduced to -1. Ogres are still in.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I am very purple.

Someone find me some purple armor.

Is that the glave of prune? :coal:

rchandra posted:

Terrible news, everybody!

Ogres and High Elves have been removed :(

A dark, dark day for crawl.

what the gently caress, high elves were like the race i played the most lately. lame

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey can we put High Elves back in and remove Tengus instead because they are loving awful by comparison.

Or better yet, remove neither.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
As a mediocre player, I quite enjoy playing high aptitude races. It lets me be successful with hybrids because experience isn't so tight.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, seriously, I get why the fat gets cut out, but come on.

"I removed a fun thing because I don't think it's mechanically pure enough" is stupid.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah remove Tengu so I don't have to finish them on my decade quest for greaterplayer.

Also Ogre M&F apt went from 3 to -1. That's a drastic shift. Just as incredible are the spellschools all went from -3 to -1.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh wow gently caress that. High elves are probably the most beginner friendly magic class around.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Carcer posted:

So other than breath there's nothing now stopping you from killing literally everything with apocalypse?
I guess so! In fact, I'm pretty much forced to Apocalypse for most fights since I can't do much else. :v: Also played a bit more, now I have the serpentine rune, 21 raw Fighting skill and still drained to 0. Apocalypse count: 286.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i'm thinking we need to pare the races list down to Fighty, Sneaky, and Smart. there's just too much bloat in there at the moment, anyone else had this thought lately?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tolkien Germanic mythos bad.

Aztec mythos good.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 14, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Probably should remove okawaru since his two abilities are both basically parts of berserk and trog already gives gifts.

Remove humans too, since they can become fighters (coveted by minotaur), casters (covered by tengu) or stealthy characters (covered by spriggan)

remove fire magic too since its the damage only school and is therefore covered by raw conjurations

Then remove me, from this gay earth that has no high or sludge elves in it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there aren't going to be any races which prefer specific weapons, then just merge all the weaponskills together

Don't do this though, I love merfolk and high elves

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually if weaponskills all get merged and races get mutations rewarding the use of specific weapon types, can we get high elves back? I'd be willing to make that trade

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

As a relatively new player, can someone explain the appeal of sludge elves? I looked at their apts and I can't tell how they're not just mermaids with an OC donut steel name.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Microcline posted:

As a relatively new player, can someone explain the appeal of sludge elves? I looked at their apts and I can't tell how they're not just mermaids with an OC donut steel name.

Personally, while I was never that attached to sludge elves, mountain dwarves, or lava orcs, I was somewhat attached to the vibe that the "standard" races all got broken down into subcategories, which is now (completely?) gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

At this point we could rename Deep Elves to Elves since they are The One True Elf Race. They survived the purges!

Real talk, I have no qualms about this, only bemusement.

• Locked thread