Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yeah I'm that guy, so it's been two weeks already huh :psyboom:

I'm pretty sure I hit lvl 2 though, hm. I'll have to log back in and see

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7672809#post7672809

Current patch notes for update 19.2 as they are on the test server, will change before it comes out but it confirms a lot of things

-New high effort nerd rear end loving essence will be in
-More quests and stuff to do for free for those in North Ithilien
-Many bug fixes, more performance updates
-Monsters finally buffed in the Moors

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Tell me I shouldn't push the button to auto-level my Guardian to 95. Tell me I shouldn't do that.

Currently leveling a Beorning, which is an amazing solo character now. I still don't get their role in a group, and I don't love the mechanic (I'm useful for ~15 seconds every 45 seconds or so). But I have to admit, being able to full heal myself instantly over and over and over and never run out of resource is nice.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

extra stout posted:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7672809#post7672809

Current patch notes for update 19.2 as they are on the test server, will change before it comes out but it confirms a lot of things

-New high effort nerd rear end loving essence will be in
-More quests and stuff to do for free for those in North Ithilien
-Many bug fixes, more performance updates
-Monsters finally buffed in the Moors

Loving the Hunter changes over the last few patches. I never PVP in this game so wasn't really feeling the DPS lack, but more damage is always nice. And survivability has gone way up: last update we got the ability to actually clear debuffs that weren't poison, and with the Blood Arrow changes here we finally have a viable self-heal for solo leveling. Between this and the Press Onward imbued legacy I'll have two decent self-heals with 15 sec and 30 sec cooldowns at Level 105, as opposed to the single 2-minute cooldown self-heal I dragged myself through Eriador, Rohan, and the first half of Gondor with.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 4, 2016

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thursday Next posted:

Tell me I shouldn't push the button to auto-level my Guardian to 95. Tell me I shouldn't do that.

You shouldn't do that, this game isn't about the end game, it's about the journey.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Thursday Next posted:

You do get +4 to all virtues if you do that, but you'll be way behind in deeds.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jalapeno_dude posted:

Loving the Hunter changes over the last few patches. I never PVP in this game so wasn't really feeling the DPS lack, but more damage is always nice. And survivability has gone way up: last update we got the ability to actually clear debuffs that weren't poison, and with the Blood Arrow changes here we finally have a viable self-heal for solo leveling. Between this and the Press Onward imbued legacy I'll have two decent self-heals with 15 sec and 30 sec cooldowns at Level 105, as opposed to the single 2-minute cooldown self-heal I dragged myself through Eriador, Rohan, and the first half of Gondor with.

I left that out because I don't play my hunter much and wasn't sure if this change was a very significant buff compared to the huge one they already got, but I am very glad for you and the rest of the lazy dumb hunters who would likely take my role as a DPS champion entirely if I didn't do a decent job at gearing up every time I feel like doing new content :)

Thursday Next posted:

Currently leveling a Beorning, which is an amazing solo character now. I still don't get their role in a group, and I don't love the mechanic (I'm useful for ~15 seconds every 45 seconds or so). But I have to admit, being able to full heal myself instantly over and over and over and never run out of resource is nice.

Beornings are even better than guardians at not dying in solo content while leveling, so of the two the guardian probably would take a bit more time and effort to hit 105. As other people said the game is about the story, do you already have a 105? I forget people's names to forum names a lot, I would say if you've already done the entire story and have a 105, there's no shame in wanting to PVP or raid on another class without putting the months in.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

sgbyou posted:

You'll be behind in class trait point too.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sgbyou posted:

And don't forget, being behind in deeds means being behind in Turbine Points.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Both of you sons o bitches are costing Turbine their living and me of my chance of ever getting 12 level 105 goons online for a raid

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale

The launcher graphic is off by 5 percent, the current sale is 25% off all quest packs, mithril coins, and I believe 40% off cosmetic outfit slots.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7674015#post7674015

If somehow you don't have enough Ithilien flowers they are at boosted rates until Monday. Not sure if it ends at 3 am, in the morning or tomorrow night, but it's currently in bonus mode.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Does the sale include the latest content?

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

extra stout posted:

Both of you sons o bitches are costing Turbine their living and me of my chance of ever getting 12 level 105 goons online for a raid

I'm doing my part, I just got Drachenfutter up to level 68! That's three whole levels! And I'm totes logging in now to work on progress toward level 69, baby.

xZAOx posted:

Does the sale include the latest content?

Yep, it does indeed include the latest zone/quest pack.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem before. I've been out of the game for a long time but I recently decided to try starting it up again. I left off in Moria, and I was at Volume II, Book 3 of the epic questline. Right now I'm on Chapter 3 of that quest, which says to go to the Chamber of the Crossroads and talk to Bosi. But he isn't there. I've requested help from players in-game who showed me exactly where he's supposed to be standing, but for me, he just doesn't exist. I also checked the LOTRO Wiki page for exact coordinates of where he's supposed to be, and that's where I'm standing.

I already cancelled the quest and then re-started it by talking to the original quest-giver (Brogur) and nothing changed. Also entered a support ticket yesterday. Does anyone know if they're actually looking at those anymore? Obviously this game is very far past its peak popularity, and it was never that popular to begin with, so I don't know what to expect from that. Other than that, I don't really know what else to do. It's a bummer, because I was really looking forward to finally progressing the main storyline again.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I went through that whole line just last month and it worked fine for me. Might want to try posting on the official boards in addition to a support ticket. Failing that you could worst-case scenario just pick it up with the next book when you get high enough level (think that starts with Haldir outside of Lorien but sends you back into Moria quickly)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem before. I've been out of the game for a long time but I recently decided to try starting it up again. I left off in Moria, and I was at Volume II, Book 3 of the epic questline. Right now I'm on Chapter 3 of that quest, which says to go to the Chamber of the Crossroads and talk to Bosi. But he isn't there. I've requested help from players in-game who showed me exactly where he's supposed to be standing, but for me, he just doesn't exist. I also checked the LOTRO Wiki page for exact coordinates of where he's supposed to be, and that's where I'm standing.

I already cancelled the quest and then re-started it by talking to the original quest-giver (Brogur) and nothing changed. Also entered a support ticket yesterday. Does anyone know if they're actually looking at those anymore? Obviously this game is very far past its peak popularity, and it was never that popular to begin with, so I don't know what to expect from that. Other than that, I don't really know what else to do. It's a bummer, because I was really looking forward to finally progressing the main storyline again.

Couple of things:

Sir Lemming posted:

...and it was never that popular to begin with...

I poo poo on this game more than anyone here that still ever plays it, but that's not actually true. In its first few years, this game was one of the more popular MMOs, after WoW and Eve of course. As the quality started to drop after SoM, so did the playerbase.

Now to answer your actual question: There was a tool someone released years ago that did something like defrag Lotro's data files to increase performance, so I installed it. I don't know if it improved my performance any, but it had one weird rear end side effect: It made Aragorn disappear. Both versions of him in the Prancing Pony and in the guest house in Rivendell just straight up ceased to exist. I stood in his room at the PP, and watched people zone in, run up to his spot for a sec, and then zone out again. I started asking people if they were seeing him and they were all "lol yeah he's right here". So I reinstalled and he appeared again like normal. That's probably what happened to you.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Siddhartha Glutamate posted:

I'm doing my part, I just got Drachenfutter up to level 68! That's three whole levels! And I'm totes logging in now to work on progress toward level 69, baby.

Yep, it does indeed include the latest zone/quest pack.

Heh, apparently a SECOND quest pack came out that I didn't know had happened. Grabbed them both. I'm about bored with WoW, so will probably at least do the solo stuff sometime within a month or two.

Which happens first? Old Anorien or Far Anorien? What did they raise the level cap to (I'm 100)? How's the 2 new (to me) quest packs? I'm assuming the landscape content is the typical fun stuff, albeit standard.

How'd they handle LIs leveling up? It was quite the grind when I quit playing, but I think I did most of it before losing interest. Did they give a catch-up mechanism for the earlier ranks, or is just straight back to grinding scrolls?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

Heh, apparently a SECOND quest pack came out that I didn't know had happened. Grabbed them both. I'm about bored with WoW, so will probably at least do the solo stuff sometime within a month or two.

Which happens first? Old Anorien or Far Anorien? What did they raise the level cap to (I'm 100)? How's the 2 new (to me) quest packs? I'm assuming the landscape content is the typical fun stuff, albeit standard.

How'd they handle LIs leveling up? It was quite the grind when I quit playing, but I think I did most of it before losing interest. Did they give a catch-up mechanism for the earlier ranks, or is just straight back to grinding scrolls?

Level cap was raised to 105 with Far Anorien. Old Anorien is first, then Far Anorien, then North Ithilien. IMHO all of the landscape content has been excellent since we entered Gondor; the Epic in Old Anorien especially is up there with the best it's ever been. And Minas Tirith is an absolutely spectacular place to wander around in.

LIs can now be imbued; see the guide on the wiki. In general Legendary Items are much more important to your character build post-Imbuement; legacies now have enough ranks (up to 59 if you have enough scrolls) that they can do some pretty ridiculous things. There is still an awful lot of scroll + star-lit crystal grinding involved (though less so if you're imbuing an FI or SI) if you want to absolutely max out everything, but just imbuing and dumping in some IXP from runes/deconstructing other legendaries should result in a noticeable power boost. I recommend doing that right away and then not worrying about it + the essence stuff until you're up to date on the new content.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 13, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

jalapeno_dude posted:

Level cap was raised to 105 with Far Anorien. Old Anorien is first, then Far Anorien, then North Ithilien. IMHO all of the landscape content has been excellent since we entered Gondor; the Epic in Old Anorien especially is up there with the best it's ever been. And Minas Tirith is an absolutely spectacular place to wander around in.

LIs can now be imbued; see the guide on the wiki. In general Legendary Items are much more important to your character build post-Imbuement; legacies now have enough ranks (up to 59 if you have enough scrolls) that they can do some pretty ridiculous things. There is still an awful lot of scroll + star-lit crystal grinding involved (though less so if you're imbuing an FI or SI) if you want to absolutely max out everything, but just imbuing and dumping in some IXP from runes/deconstructing other legendaries should result in a noticeable power boost. I recommend doing that right away and then not worrying about it + the essence stuff until you're up to date on the new content.

Sorry, I used the wrong zone name in my post heh. I'm 100, with my imbued LI that was near maxed out, and finished all of Old Anorien. I meant to ask if Far Anorien or North Ithilien was next hehe.

Glad to hear the landscape is still awesome, as that's mainly what I play for.

Shame that the the Imbued LI grind just got "X more ranks" without a catchup mechanism or something. i don't knwo hwo new players are supposed to catch up. The delta between new player for the content and the one who has grounded them out will make it really hard to balance landscape content in the future, I think. Especially how most of the player base left is so casual.

How was the raid in Far Anorien? It still relevant with North Ithilien out?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Great posts, thank you both for explaining those and for defending the game, I don't want the thread to become an MMO pissing match but you don't stay online and pay to renew a LoTR license for (as of this Spring) ten years without having at least ups and downs of major to moderate success.

Some things to remember to avoid being overwhelmed or intimidated by North Ithilien: You can PVP with almost any set of decent 105 gear. You can do the new raid on T1 with this (this is the champion/beorning/guardian example) jewelry set, which drops somewhat often just from doing the featured instance of the week, which you can run twice a day once on level 100-104, and a separate cooldown for 105.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Bracelet_of_Absent_Friends

from

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Featured_Instance

The mitigations are key, especially tactical mitigations are something needed for even heavy classes. It's very good for something a casual can grab two pieces of in a week of 15 minute a day runs.

Most importantly: Keep up with the epic quest as it becomes very good and has the best loot at times, and if you get bored with boar rear end quests a lot of those you can skip as long as you're doing the epic quest and are high enough level for the next zone anyway. To hit kindred with each faction much more quickly and to mostly eliminate a lot of the daily quests you might hate, go to a skirmish camp and barter for reputation accelerators. It's either alt click or control click to use them all at once, even 100. Do this if you want turbine points pronto, or just don't enjoy the small timey errand boy quests of a region.

Don't do much for essence or maxing gear at 100, and at 105 just post here or ask in game if anything is confusing you or you want to know what to run. The armor and jewelry from the flower bartering in North Ithilien is also good enough for just about all purposes other than T2 and T2C raiding, and dick waving.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Brave New World posted:

Now to answer your actual question: There was a tool someone released years ago that did something like defrag Lotro's data files to increase performance, so I installed it. I don't know if it improved my performance any, but it had one weird rear end side effect: It made Aragorn disappear. Both versions of him in the Prancing Pony and in the guest house in Rivendell just straight up ceased to exist. I stood in his room at the PP, and watched people zone in, run up to his spot for a sec, and then zone out again. I started asking people if they were seeing him and they were all "lol yeah he's right here". So I reinstalled and he appeared again like normal. That's probably what happened to you.

Hmm, interesting, that does sound like exactly the same type of issue. I'll have to give a reinstall a try if I can't get a GM's attention during gameplay soon. (My first support ticket was closed because apparently they checked in on it when I wasn't online.) For at least a year I've occasionally tried logging into the game once every few months only to download a huge patch and then exit, so I suppose a clean reinstall would be beneficial.

EDIT: Turns out it was exactly this! I used the Steam "verify integrity of game cache" option and it found some errors, so it re-downloaded a bunch of stuff and now Bosi appears. Thanks!

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 14, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I logged in my hunter last night just to look around my character and see what all was up. I pulled up a recent Hunter guide, and while everything about my Hunter looks the same, apparently numbers have shifted to the point where I need to switch what trait line I'm in, but the big problem is a ton of my legacies now need to swapped out.

Looks like (other than the store) the best way to get imbued legacy replacement scrolls is to run the raid for coins and barter? How much gold do the scrolls typically cost on the AH on our server?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

I logged in my hunter last night just to look around my character and see what all was up. I pulled up a recent Hunter guide, and while everything about my Hunter looks the same, apparently numbers have shifted to the point where I need to switch what trait line I'm in, but the big problem is a ton of my legacies now need to swapped out.

Looks like (other than the store) the best way to get imbued legacy replacement scrolls is to run the raid for coins and barter? How much gold do the scrolls typically cost on the AH on our server?

I got I believe 5? from the epic quest during whichever book was for Minas Tirith.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

extra stout posted:

I got I believe 5? from the epic quest during whichever book was for Minas Tirith.

The list on the wiki here says 7 total--one from Central Gondor, two from Eastern Gondor, one from finishing the Ashes and Stars instances in Osgilliath (which you can grind through solo on Level 50 if you need to, still counts for advancing the quest chain), two from the Old Anorien epic, one from the Far Anorien epic. So you'll have more than enough even if you change your mind a few times. The limiting factor for me as someone who never does group content has been the Anfalas Crystals of Remembrance, which you need to unlock the seventh legacy slot on your items--only one drops on Landscape, in the Eastern Gondor epic.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'll have to see what I socked away in my bank - but I've done all the Gondor and Osgiliath / Minas Tirith stuff already (just Far Anorien and North Ithilien are left for me).

Maybe the non-bound ones aren't too expensive on the AH heh. I need to change out like 4-5 legacies, maybe more, to meet the current end game meta.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Do people still run BBs at all?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sorry for the multiple posts in a row (I'm guessing the answer is no, people don't run BBs, heh)

Anyone who can make me a few first agers? I got all the mats today. Need a first age dagger and a first age bow. I'll mail all the mats to you.

It seemed cheaper and easier just to make new imbued LIs, as it was going to take me 10 scrolls to switch out my current legacies. Plus, this way if another patch change happens (or more like, when), I'll likely have another set of imbued LIs that are close to where I need to be.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row (I'm guessing the answer is no, people don't run BBs, heh)

Anyone who can make me a few first agers? I got all the mats today. Need a first age dagger and a first age bow. I'll mail all the mats to you.

It seemed cheaper and easier just to make new imbued LIs, as it was going to take me 10 scrolls to switch out my current legacies. Plus, this way if another patch change happens (or more like, when), I'll likely have another set of imbued LIs that are close to where I need to be.

Pretty much just people hitting 100~ who need the trait points run them together. I'm a woodworker so I'll check if I can do the bow, can't do the dagger.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Drachenfutter is now level 70... Only 35 more levels until I hit my first ever level cap in an MMO.

That's a good goal to have, right?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Was able to beg on world chat today and it took a while, but finally got people to make new first ages. Off to far anorien next game time I get :)

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Has the meta on Loremasters changed any? Currently poking at my old LM who's spec'd Red, but its been over a year so I donno if that's still the appropriate solo build choice.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Drachenfutter is now level 70... Only 35 more levels until I hit my first ever level cap in an MMO.

~~Big GratzZZz~~ now keep going never log off.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wow, they went all out with the grind on Far Anorien, heh.

Quests that constantly keep sending you back to where you went.
A level increase to 105, but the quests will leave you at 102.
Reputation that doesn't even get half-filled by doing every quest.

I'm glad I have North Ithilien to still go to finish getting to 105. Hopefully it's enough. I was playing when West Gondor came out and the cap went to 100, but the quests left you at like 98. That poo poo sucked. Shame they did it again.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I can only assume I get some kind of bonus for being a lifetime subber or something because I hit the cap and I still haven't finished the story.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Chairchucker posted:

I can only assume I get some kind of bonus for being a lifetime subber or something because I hit the cap and I still haven't finished the story.

Yeah, VIP does get some. "+100% XP for 30% of a level (daily upon login)"

That being said, there's more than enough content to hit the cap without finishing the quests, but it depends on when you play. Like I was saying with West Gondor, you couldn't hit 100. But if you came in later, the level cap stayed 100 for like 4-5 quest packs. So if you weren't doing the content when it was released, you had plenty to get to 100 and beyond.

Also, apparently I completely missed the epic for Far Anorien, so that'll probably get me to mid-102 or something maybe. I didn't get an in-game breadcrumb, so gonna go to where the wiki tells me to, hopefully Mithrandir is ready with the next step for me.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Also, apparently I completely missed the epic for Far Anorien, so that'll probably get me to mid-102 or something maybe. I didn't get an in-game breadcrumb, so gonna go to where the wiki tells me to, hopefully Mithrandir is ready with the next step for me.

Yep you'll be fine I never had boosted or rested exp and got to 105 without any grind. I believe that book does also begin with Mithrandir atop Minas Tirith.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7676050

This morning/tomorrow is Update 19.2 and the Yule Festival.

New in 19.2 (will update tomorrow with more info):

-North Ithilien essence can now be upgraded via max tier crafting, will likely be the new best essence in game hence everyone trying to sell their tier 8 supremes over the last two days.

-Yule Festival will include a half dozen or so brand new items including what looked to be a horse with burning candles in it's antlers.

edit

I just realized that makes no sense to normal people who don't collect things in this game, a horse wearing the stag antlers of war or whatever they're called from the store.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 19, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chairchucker posted:

Lifetime subscribers still get 500TP a month if nothing else, IIRC. You have to have logged in since the game went F2P to have it start accumulating, but people who've done so and then log in years later find themselves with tens of thousands of TP to burn on whatever.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I miss this stupid game. I won't have time to come back till the summer though. I want to see the new places (and finish the old ones I never did visit). I'll defintely throw in some money for TP. No sales for extra TP in that regard yet?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

yeah, I've been totally wrecked by getting ready to go back to school, FAFSA troubles, computer troubles. Sadly I think it will be a while before I can get back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

extra stout posted:

~~Big GratzZZz~~ now keep going never log off.

I am also level 70! Thanks to a bunch of Dunlendings calling me names for helping them with their crap and also hunters being wackily overpowered.