Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If durability in Dark Souls 2 was tied to framerate, does that mean that if you played it on something like a 144hz monitor things would decay even faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If durability in Dark Souls 2 was tied to framerate, does that mean that if you played it on something like a 144hz monitor things would decay even faster?

Your monitor refresh rate is not your framerate.

--

Thing dragging down FFXV:
The further you go through the game, the more rushed things feel, but that's just kind of accepted when you buy the game unless you've had your head in the sand and not been paying attention throughout the rest of the game.
But chapter 13 is literally one of the worst levels I have ever played.

You can somewhat see the original design intent behind it - it's clear what was meant to happen is that as you travel through some spooky corridors, you'd get cutscenes and audio of the rest of the world going to hell and build tension and all that stuff before the endgame rush.

Well, you don't get any of that.
Until this point, FFXV has had the following things:
- Open exploration
- Bro teammates to help out in combat
- Warping around in combat
- Cool weapon switching
- A sprint button
- The ability to save mostly wherever you want outside of a dungeon or the middle of a battle

The first half to two-thirds of chapter 13 contains none of the above. You get a lovely weapon, a bad stealth gimmick that it's easier to just cheese with your lovely weapon, and endless boring corridors with not even any loot in the identical side rooms. And actual jump-scares with QTEs (that are not scary at all, but still).

Other parts of the game have clearly had parts cut out of it or otherwise reworked to get the game to ship on time, and it's mind-boggling that the developers made chapter 13, thought "yup, this is fine" and released the game that way. There's even occasional area transitions in the chapter and sections where you have to do a silly key hunt. They could have just removed some of those parts completely and kept like half the chapter and it would still be horribly lovely, but at least not lovely and two hours+ long.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

A White Guy posted:

Far Cry 2 was actually a very well done game in terms of atmosphere and fighting. I really liked how it was set up. I have two complaints: The first is that it's repetitive as gently caress. Go here, shoot mans, go there, shoot mans, go there ambush convoy, shoot mans, go here, find new friend, new friend is useless as gently caress, gets shot, dies despite your best try.

The second is the loving stealth mechanic in that game is dogshit. You sneak around in the grass, trying to avoid getting spotted so that you can machete a boy to death but in the corner of your ear, you hear some loving totally unintelligible South African say something that can be interpreted as alarm sound, and now you're hosed. Cue explosions, shoot mans, death.

I felt like far cry 2 would have benefitted from having cartoonishly distinguished factions like just cause or saints row.

every time you enter a leaders base you get patted down and talk to the guy. both factions are indistinguishable and I think that was the point from a storytelling perspective, but when they put you on missions and say "my boys won't know who you are, so don't expect any leniency" it doesn't have much of an impact because I can't tell which side is which anyways.

that and it sounded like an admission from the devs that they didn't code any complex ai patterns.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Far Cry 2 was actually a very well done game in terms of atmosphere and fighting. I really liked how it was set up. I have two complaints: The first is that it's repetitive as gently caress. Go here, shoot mans, go there, shoot mans, go there ambush convoy, shoot mans, go here, find new friend, new friend is useless as gently caress, gets shot, dies despite your best try.

The second is the loving stealth mechanic in that game is dogshit. You sneak around in the grass, trying to avoid getting spotted so that you can machete a boy to death but in the corner of your ear, you hear some loving totally unintelligible South African say something that can be interpreted as alarm sound, and now you're hosed. Cue explosions, shoot mans, death.

Stealth got a lot more consistent in the sequels thankfully.

I found the best way to play was not to fight against the wacky stealth in Far Cry 2. Use as much stealth as you can and when you get spotted by AI telepathy either flee or have some serious non-silenced weapons to go Rambo mode with.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm currently playing FFXV right now. I know that at some point, the story takes a hard nosedive and turns to crap. I also know that SE has said that they're making a patch to make this less lovely. At what point should I just stop playing and wait for this patch to come out?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Stealth got a lot more consistent in the sequels thankfully.

I found the best way to play was not to fight against the wacky stealth in Far Cry 2. Use as much stealth as you can and when you get spotted by AI telepathy either flee or have some serious non-silenced weapons to go Rambo mode with.

silenced sniper as a main and the thumper as a sidearm is a solid loadout for this playstyle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Morpheus posted:

I'm currently playing FFXV right now. I know that at some point, the story takes a hard nosedive and turns to crap. I also know that SE has said that they're making a patch to make this less lovely. At what point should I just stop playing and wait for this patch to come out?

Joke answer: now and wait forever, it will not be improved into a Real Final Fantasy.

Real answer: the most concrete thing they've said is they're taking a look at and fixing chapter 13. Other things are planned, but are a lot more vague.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I am not an animal behaviour expert but I have to imagine that if I fired multiple bullets at a dingo or wolf pack they would run the gently caress away, and even if that's wrong I'd really appreciate being able to travel for five minutes in any direction without having to fend off a ravening deathpack.

Maybe it's just because I'm fairly early in the game but the shooting in Far Cry 4 feels kind of off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

A sword with an enchantment can have some sort of Elder Scrolls-style energy limitation on it that it consumes each hit.
I haven't really played any of the other games in the series, but in Skyrim I found that more of an inconvenience than an actual limitation. At some point you realise that your magic sword isn't magicking any more and so you mash some crystals into it or whatever. There's tons of them so you never feel any sort of pressure to conserve ammo, it's just another thing you've got to cart around everywhere.

It really seems like more of a MMO mechanic, where they could have made charging the crystals a time-consuming process so that players could choose to make money by charging and selling them. In a single-player game they have to be easy enough to get that they don't get in the way of actually playing the game, which makes them pretty pointless.

Action Tortoise posted:

I felt like far cry 2 would have benefitted from having cartoonishly distinguished factions like just cause or saints row.

every time you enter a leaders base you get patted down and talk to the guy. both factions are indistinguishable
This was another issue I had in Skyrim. Any time I was supposed to join in on a Stormcloaks vs. Imperials fight I just sat back and did nothing because it was way too easy to get confused and attack the wrong guy. And another point against the game is that you can totally do that. There are a lot of times in Skyrim where you can sort of just sit back and let it play itself.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morpheus posted:

One of the things they're considering adding is NG+ (you can already keep playing after the ending to do all the side stuff and extra stuff) so you might as well just keep playing and then blitz through the story on NG+ if you want.

If they wanted to adjust the story it would probably take, like, a year.
Chapter 9 is when the story goes into high gear and it doesn't really become terrible, just clearly full of cuts, and chapter 13 is awful in every way and the only thing they're changing about it is making your gimmick weapon slightly more powerful.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

There are a lot of times in Skyrim where you can sort of just sit back and let it play itself.

in oblivion i did the jakben imbel quest. near the end of it i picked his pocket and alerted him. he ran off and brought some imperial guards. i snuck into the vampire lair in his house before i could trigger the arrest dialog. they aggro'd on the vampires and got wiped out. i finished off the stragglers and spent the next couple of hours making trips to the house so i could scavenge armor and sell it for easy gold.

it was the best thing i ever saw in the game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Morpheus posted:

thing dragging games down: I'm essentially waiting an extra year before buying a lot of games now because buying non-multiplayer big titles is you paying more for a buggy,crappier version when you could just wait and get a patched, actually playable verison that may be discounted /and or a game of the year edition with all dlc /preorder bonuses.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Tiggum posted:

This was another issue I had in Skyrim. Any time I was supposed to join in on a Stormcloaks vs. Imperials fight I just sat back and did nothing because it was way too easy to get confused and attack the wrong guy. And another point against the game is that you can totally do that. There are a lot of times in Skyrim where you can sort of just sit back and let it play itself.

Another big-rear end problem with those fights that happened to me a few times was that if you did accidentally hit one of your own dudes, everyone on your side instantly knew about it and marked you as an enemy. Even members of the faction who weren't there will often mark you as an enemy and attack you on sight when you go to turn in the quest.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Not problems with the games themselves, but the players:

Left 4 Dead
When someone runs ahead of everyone and inevitably gets jumped by a hunter or grabbed by a smoker or whatever, then they bitch at the rest of the team for not being good enough. Often wheezing into the microphone, as though running in the game actually caused them to be out of breath. It's a team game, stick with your team and you won't die, idiot.
Or when they complain about friendly fire. When that happens I like to watch the stats at the end because 90% of the time they have the highest number of friendly fire incidents.

Diablo II
After normal difficulty, everyone just wants to rush to Baal. I picked these cool and powerful skills to play the game with, not to not use and stand in the corner while a bot kills all of Baal's minions over and over.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
More BioEnchanted posts please

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
In noted cannibal psycho homophobe simulator RimWorld, I keep getting dudes who want to go sleep in the freezer. They have beds, it's all nice and climate controlled, their rooms are lovely...nope, just gonna sleep in the freezer, next to the corpses and raw meat and drugs. My current game my best craftsman just wouldn't loving stop, until eventually they got frostbite that went gangrenous and then they died during surgery. WEE OOH I thought, AT LEAST NO MORE COLONISTS WILL DIE IN THE FREEZER and then BAM immediately his next door neighbour starts sleeping there.

I can only assume my PC is haunted by the ghost of Junji Ito. Which is weird cause he's not dead.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

dordreff posted:

Another big-rear end problem with those fights that happened to me a few times was that if you did accidentally hit one of your own dudes, everyone on your side instantly knew about it and marked you as an enemy. Even members of the faction who weren't there will often mark you as an enemy and attack you on sight when you go to turn in the quest.

Huh, I'm pretty sure I outright killed a few people on my side in those fights and no one cared. I definitely Fus'd a few guys off the bridge while legate whoever was making his big fancy speech before Windhelm and no one cared at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gitro posted:

Huh, I'm pretty sure I outright killed a few people on my side in those fights and no one cared. I definitely Fus'd a few guys off the bridge while legate whoever was making his big fancy speech before Windhelm and no one cared at all.

Oh they noticed all right. They just didn't want to be next, so they kept their eyes straight ahead.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Gitro posted:

It might have been mods interacting in strange ways, or good old Bethesda bugs, but I've definitely had to reload and redo a couple of those missions because I couldn't report to the Legate without everyone else in camp trying to kill me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Disgusting Coward posted:

In noted cannibal psycho homophobe simulator RimWorld, I keep getting dudes who want to go sleep in the freezer. They have beds, it's all nice and climate controlled, their rooms are lovely...nope, just gonna sleep in the freezer, next to the corpses and raw meat and drugs. My current game my best craftsman just wouldn't loving stop, until eventually they got frostbite that went gangrenous and then they died during surgery. WEE OOH I thought, AT LEAST NO MORE COLONISTS WILL DIE IN THE FREEZER and then BAM immediately his next door neighbour starts sleeping there.

I can only assume my PC is haunted by the ghost of Junji Ito. Which is weird cause he's not dead.

I haven't played in a while but I'm pretty sure you can just select a colonist and right click on a bed to force him to sleep there?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

dordreff posted:

It might have been mods interacting in strange ways, or good old Bethesda bugs, but I've definitely had to reload and redo a couple of those missions because I couldn't report to the Legate without everyone else in camp trying to kill me.

Or maybe it was mods on my end fixing the dumb behaviour. :shrug: Bethesda

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
A few misplaced hits will usually not trigger any hatred towards you in Skyrim but if you do a heap of damage to a single dude by being OP or continuing to hit alleys they can and will agro, so it was a combination of both most likely. They put a system in place where if you sheath your weapons you have a chance to stop them attacking you to either trigger the guards "Imma arrest youuuuu" script or a general stand down on formerly neutral npcs.

It is not a 100% though of course whether by accident or design it just occasionally works. And there are some folks who once you agro them will never forgive it, bandits in the wild being one such group, as you can find neutral groups of them but once it is on they just get set on kill.

Side note Fusing someone is not considered a generally agro worthy thing on its own and the fall damage from it is not attributed to the player because it is fall damage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rap Music and Dope posted:

More BioEnchanted posts please

:3:

I've been working 12 hour shifts so no time for vidya games, but I'll probably be finishing Pitfall tonight or tomorrow morning, so any gripes with the final boss and you'll be the first to know.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite tied to FPS game mechanic was in GTA SA you had to ride a motorcycle onto a plane that was taking off. If you had too high of FPS the plane would travel faster and you could never reach it in time.

Oh gently caress me, THAT'S why I could never catch up to the plane?! I must have tried that mission a dozen times before I finally got on it! Goddammit, Rockstar.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah, the faster your computer, the harder it is. It's like something from Coolgames Inc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's still amazing to me how many games have really important things that are very obviously and awkwardly tied to frame rate. Dishonored 2 launched with mouse sensitivity of all things being inversely proportional to frame rate, and the performance was garbage so almost everyone got to experience the results when the frame rate would randomly drop. Your perspective would suddenly snap past any graphically-demanding direction you turned towards.

At the same time I have some sympathy for it because I had to make a game in unreal 4 in college, and holy poo poo there are some very important things that are tied to the frame rate in that engine (like the strength of physics forces). Before that experience I just assumed our tools had long since moved on from those limitations but no, you still might have to fight the engine itself to get game calculations to be independent of graphical frame rate.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tengames posted:

thing dragging games down: I'm essentially waiting an extra year before buying a lot of games now because buying non-multiplayer big titles is you paying more for a buggy,crappier version when you could just wait and get a patched, actually playable verison that may be discounted /and or a game of the year edition with all dlc /preorder bonuses.

The trick is to fill that year playing all of the patched/bundled/GotY versions of the previous year's games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't mind doing that with titles I'm not as interested in, but getting a dlc-less game is the price I'm willing to pay for playing a game when it comes out. Similarly, people are willing to play early access games before they're finished, because they get to play a game that looks fun. Sometimes it blows up in their faces, sometimes not.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Digirat posted:

It's still amazing to me how many games have really important things that are very obviously and awkwardly tied to frame rate. Dishonored 2 launched with mouse sensitivity of all things being inversely proportional to frame rate, and the performance was garbage so almost everyone got to experience the results when the frame rate would randomly drop. Your perspective would suddenly snap past any graphically-demanding direction you turned towards.

I'm amazed at how often AAA studios still screw up mouse control. I remember the first Dead Space on PC worked well as a horror game partly because the mouse movement was such a mess that it was legitimately hard to aim at things: As I recall, the vertical sensitivity was tied to your framerate (but not the horizontal) and the mouse had a "dead zone" where if you moved it slower than a certain speed, no movement was registered at all.

Dishonored 2, in addition to the sensitivity being affected by framerate, also has some kind of "inverse acceleration" where the faster you move the mouse over a given distance, the less the view turns.

I'm baffled that developers would want these things, or that if they don't, they can't figure out how to fix them.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

dordreff posted:

At the very start I see some dudes fighting a giant and I'm like "yayyyy I'll help!" and I accidentally tap one dude and suddenly I'm public enemy number one and I'm not allowed in the loving city until they kill me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kay Kessler posted:

Durability works for Dead Rising since the entire premise is you're in a place loaded with stuff. But like a lot of other games with durability, they really need to make items more, well, durable. "Congratulations, you've unlocked a motorcycle with chainsaw attachments! ... Aaaaand it broke."

Oh cool I discovered how to make a light saber!

Oh, cool. It broke after killing one generic zombie.

The durability thing also blows when combined with the game's super limited inventory, so if you have healing items on hand you can carry even less stuff and if a boss shows up, have loving fun. Me and a friend took ages to kill the chef boss in off the record because he kept healing when we had to run off to look for healing items and weapons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

At the very start I see some dudes fighting a giant and I'm like "yayyyy I'll help!" and I accidentally tap one dude and suddenly I'm public enemy number one and I'm not allowed in the loving city until they kill me.

This is really trash in STALKER. Your "allies" absolutely can hit and kill you, and nothing in their AI makes them avoid shooting if you are in between them and their target. But if you damage one of them with anything, they will all instantly turn around and and aimbot you to death.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Digirat posted:

This is really trash in STALKER. Your "allies" absolutely can hit and kill you, and nothing in their AI makes them avoid shooting if you are in between them and their target. But if you damage one of them with anything, they will all instantly turn around and and aimbot you to death.

this didn't bother me until the escort mission when the zombies start popping up

Nuebot posted:

Oh cool I discovered how to make a light saber!

Oh, cool. It broke after killing one generic zombie.

The durability thing also blows when combined with the game's super limited inventory, so if you have healing items on hand you can carry even less stuff and if a boss shows up, have loving fun. Me and a friend took ages to kill the chef boss in off the record because he kept healing when we had to run off to look for healing items and weapons.

i swear that fucker's frying pan either tracks my movement or whips out way too fast or me to dodge out of the way if i'm not already behind cover

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just finished my first run of Ratchet and Clank PS4, and I guess the thing dragging this down in a nitpicky way is that it feels like everything about the game being a game based off a movie very loosely (from what I can tell) based off the game is is detrimental to the overall experience and feels jarring. Also it's a remake of the first game but none of the old areas have a lot more to do except one, some planets are missing, and there's one new area, which makes it feel simple and barebones in a way even the $20 swan song title for the PS3 avoided.

On the other hand, the first PS3 had issues so maybe this is them partly figuring out the PS4 and the Going Commando remake'll be crazy good with all the old weapons.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I am impressed that far cry 4 managed to make grenade finishing unfun and annoying.

I did manage to launch a fish out of the water and onto some nearby rocks though, that was cool.

e: unskippable cutscenes in tyool 2014

Holy gently caress I thought I'd just gotten unlucky spawns but the game actually spawns in two enemies when you're trying to hunt the thing, one group on a boat with a grenade launcher that loving oneshots you.

How do you make something that should be so fun so bad.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Dec 14, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Arma 3 has a stamina system that determines your max stamina off what you're carrying. So you can't have an assault rifle, pistol, rocket launcher, an armored vest packed with extra ammunition and a backpack full of extra rockets without losing breath after a single step.

However this also means you can't just hold a rocket launcher with nothing else or a sniper rifle and nothing else without having 5% max stamina. Good luck trying to aim these weapons after taking a single step and being out of breath!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I generally enjoy the Lego games so I got the Lego Movie game, but it's kind of a mess. It seems much less interesting to play than the others and it's fairly glitchy too, as I just got stuck in the wild west level because Wildstyle got stuck in a ladder and there is no friendly fire so I couldn't just kill her to respawn her. Unlike Lego City Undercover there is also no real map that I can find which would make navigating the hubs really annoying. The only things on the WiiU game pad are 2 options - an uninformative menu and the option to play on the controlpad screen. Overall it's a complete mess, and pretty dull.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You do know that there's good games as well as poo poo movie tie-ins, right? You can get games at places besides gas stations and supermarkets, there's way more variety - some even have effort put in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's clear that The Last Guardian got worked over by some executive prior to release, because it handholds you to a degree that's both annoyingly intrusive and completely useless. Giant button-prompt tutorials pop up every single time you climb a ledge or perform some other simple action, and there's a constant dry voice-over narrating hints for puzzles you encountered about three seconds ago.

Hope they patch in a toggle for that nonsense at some point, it's easily the worst thing about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The thing dragging every single Telltale game down is that there isn't one tenth of as much actual consequences from your choices as in Alpha Protocol.

Remove all of the janky combat and you're left with a storygame that's superior in every way. There are so many actual changes to the plot depending on actions/dialogue that it's baffling. I mean, Scarlet Lake is the other assassin who takes the shot when you're fighting Omen Deng?!?! WHAT.