Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
p dece
There's modern remakes of its dedicated programmer too. Which are worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I love my jx-3p. The pg200 makes it easier to program but it's easy enough to use without one. Great synth.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
yeah that's a great find, grats

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I don't know anything about synths. I have a Roland digital piano that I love, and i've had a lot of $200 yamaha and casio student keyboards, but I found this guy at a pawn shop for a couple hundred bucks, so I decided to get it, as at the very least, its a midi controller with a lot of octaves, for my garage band bullshit.

This considered decent among synth goons in the know?

Congrats! I keep seeing those for way-too-cheap and wishing I didn't have a JX-03.

I think there are app versions of the programmer if you have a way to send midi from a phone, and there's a Kiwi audio mod that will add some extras (like, I believe, an extra envelope?) but its a couple hundred and involves sending away. Still worth keeping in mind.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

JamesKPolk posted:

I think there are app versions of the programmer if you have a way to send midi from a phone

It can't be programmed via midi without mods (the Kiwi job mentioned above). That's where the pg200 comes in- it's proprietary, not midi.

Anyway, I have one too (no programmer either). How noisy is the chorus on yours? Mine's like a pure static generator, I can barely make out a chorus effect so I just turn it off.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

ChocNitty posted:

I don't know anything about synths. I have a Roland digital piano that I love, and i've had a lot of $200 yamaha and casio student keyboards, but I found this guy at a pawn shop for a couple hundred bucks, so I decided to get it, as at the very least, its a midi controller with a lot of octaves, for my garage band bullshit.

This considered decent among synth goons in the know?

I think if it's your first foray out of Casioland you'll be pleased. Roland Junos and J-models are usually pretty solid in the sound department. You'll have some great new fat textures to mess with even if you just stick to the presets, but now you can also open Pandora's box with us and get programming your own patches. :getin:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Thanks to this thread I've just noticed the jx-3p pitch bend only works in one direction on the narrow setting. I either never used that setting before or it has recently gone kaput. Time to start chasing op-amps apparently.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ozmunkeh posted:

I love my jx-3p. The pg200 makes it easier to program but it's easy enough to use without one. Great synth.

If one didn't want to drop the $200-$500 that a standalone PG200 sells for, aren't there also desktop software controllers available, or did I just imagine that?

E:fb many times over. Of course it would require a hardware mod, the JX-3P predates MIDI :doh:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Super for-realsies: I want to build this system. Tell me what's wrong with it (besides a couple of modules not yet being generally available).

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/374050

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sliderule posted:

Super for-realsies: I want to build this system. Tell me what's wrong with it (besides a couple of modules not yet being generally available).

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/374050

It costs $4,220.00

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Luckily, that's not a problem. :haw:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sliderule posted:

Luckily, that's not a problem. :haw:

In that case, :getin:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
But for real I keep hearing that you can never have enough VCAs, but I have relatively few. One pair of masters, the Scan & Pan for oscillator mixing and one attenuverting mixer. The distings can multiply two signals as well so there are two more, but I get the feeling it's still too few.

I can imagine that I have enough for the audio paths, but maybe not for CVs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah I would deffo suggest a dense VCA module, something like the sputnik valve multiplier or erica's pico vca or ladik's similar tiny jobbers :retrogames:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Given that the rack's full, what would you pull to fit more VCAs?

I get that I can effectively emulate the wogglebug with the teletype (sans audio oscillators), so maybe that can go? I'd hate to lose clouds, and distings seem really good value for real estate.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

why has no one told this person to buy a bigger rack yet

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
no no no no no. im building a perfect synth you see and it's only thiiiiis big

*gestures 84hp x 2 to my wife*

really it's not that big or messy and it has a lid that i can close and it's perfect and i'll never replace anything in it

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If one didn't want to drop the $200-$500 that a standalone PG200 sells for, aren't there also desktop software controllers available, or did I just imagine that?

E:fb many times over. Of course it would require a hardware mod, the JX-3P predates MIDI :doh:

The JX-3P has very basic MIDI but the deal is that you can't use MIDI and the programmer simultaneously. There is a mod that adds this and also improves the MIDI capability of the synth. Details here: http://organix.inque.org/ I don't have it, it's on my "when I get around to it" list.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

sliderule posted:

no no no no no. im building a perfect synth you see and it's only thiiiiis big

*gestures 84hp x 2 to my wife*

really it's not that big or messy and it has a lid that i can close and it's perfect and i'll never replace anything in it

:sever:

honestly I'd dump the z-dsp. I think it makes sense in a large system especially if you want to stay in the modular for fx but nothing I've heard from it has ever wowed me vs dedicated FX units. That and you're already getting some fx from disting/clouds.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

:sever:

honestly I'd dump the z-dsp. I think it makes sense in a large system especially if you want to stay in the modular for fx but nothing I've heard from it has ever wowed me vs dedicated FX units. That and you're already getting some fx from disting/clouds.

this. it's also really big and you're giving up a lot by including it in a system that small.

e: also consider the SSF ultra random analog instead of the wogglebug. it's the same size but packs in a lot of extra utility.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 13, 2016

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

So, after unsuccessfully trying to jam more by sticking to my existing equipment, some gift money has landed in my pocket and is slowly burning a hole in it. The one big thing I need to do is play more, and I never bought a real good analog monosynth.
My range is up to about $700 max. The ones I'm considering are the Korg ARP Odyssey module, Novation Bass Station II, and Korg Monologue. I'm kinda torn because while the Odyssey is the best sounding by far and funkiest by far, the other two have patch memory, despite being a little more sterile. I'm kinda steering away from the brutes , just not the biggest fan of their sound. Kinda the same for the MS-20, tried the mini and did not like it much, but then again I didn't get to play with patch cables. Any other suggestions?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Startyde posted:

Yes the Z-DSP would be the first thing I would remove, especially if you mostly want it for the Valhalla verbs, since you can just go spend $200 on his plugins instead and get dozens of algorithms in better quality. Or just spend $50 on your favorite one. But if you hate computers then whatever.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Normally I'm wary of kickstarters, but KOMA is an established brand so here goes: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/komaelektronik/field-kit-electroacoustic-workstation

Looks like a nice little experimental platform.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

AxeBreaker posted:

So, after unsuccessfully trying to jam more by sticking to my existing equipment, some gift money has landed in my pocket and is slowly burning a hole in it. The one big thing I need to do is play more, and I never bought a real good analog monosynth.
My range is up to about $700 max. The ones I'm considering are the Korg ARP Odyssey module, Novation Bass Station II, and Korg Monologue. I'm kinda torn because while the Odyssey is the best sounding by far and funkiest by far, the other two have patch memory, despite being a little more sterile. I'm kinda steering away from the brutes , just not the biggest fan of their sound. Kinda the same for the MS-20, tried the mini and did not like it much, but then again I didn't get to play with patch cables. Any other suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvG__N0Q0o8.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

I'm wondering something similar - with the caveat that I have some bases covered. We may be looking in different directions but if it helps...

I've got the loud, noisy, distorted, modulated sound thing covered well but I'm missing bread and butter bass and lead tones - I'm thinking rubbery portamento and arpeggios, and maybe some Warp-ish stuff with reverb. Basically if SH-101s were 500 dollars cheaper I'd be looking there.

Ideas:

Intellijel Atlantis: I like the differences enough to make them bonuses, and the patch points are very nice. The problem is I'm not in euro and it's $$$ by the time I get there just for the Atlantis (though I'd have NO problem expanding to fill 84 or 90hp once I had a case and power sorted)

Mother-32: Similar appeal without NEEDING the rack, and I don't currently have a Moog filter in my palette. I'm not sure I prefer it to the Roland ones though... (But I have a F-106 module if need be).

Vermona Mono Lancet: The above without the patch accessibility (until I get that euro system), but with a more appealing knob layout. Feels more immediately satisfying than the Mother, with less depth. The filter sounds slightly better but that could be subjective w/ like video white balance.

Eowave Magma: It's a currently produced SH-101 clone module? That's about all I can find other than "inspired by the... 80s!"

Arp Odyssey: I like the features but from the demos the sound feels thinner and brassier than I want - the stuff I'm not loving with my Evolver. I feel like I'd spend more time with the modulation options than writing melodies.

Bass Station II: Gets mentioned a lot but I haven't been wowed by a demo (I may not be listening to the right ones). I'd like to avoid a keyboard if possible.

AIRA System 1/1m + Plugout: I'm fine with the VA but the neon green is a dealbreaker. It's dumb but that's where I'm at.

Future Retro XS: Big and I'd prefer a 24db filter but it seems pretty close... though if I could do cheaper I'd prefer.

And other than that... what perfect synth am I forgetting that's going to scratch that exact itch?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

People posted:

drop the Z-DSP

Yeah I guess that all makes sense. I was hoping to splash some reverb on in the case; it's part of what makes the Music Easel sound so good I think. Halls of Valhalla would have been icing on the cake, but I do have a Lexicon unit in the rack, so I guess as long as I'm at home with it, I don't need DSP FX. Also, as mentioned, I have Clouds. Good points.

I'm looking at a 10hp hole now after adding a Sputnik Valve Multiplier (which looks amazing for the space!) and an O'Tool (because scopes are rad). Maybe a 4ms QCD to add some tactile adjustment to the algorithmic input triggers? Maybe a chronoblob or a spring reverb? I'll give it some thought.

Mr. Glass posted:

e: also consider the SSF ultra random analog instead of the wogglebug. it's the same size but packs in a lot of extra utility.

Oh hey that's quite nice.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Warps with the parasites mod is a fun use of 10HP.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

AxeBreaker posted:

Buy a Roland SH-09 on ebay or reverb.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm wondering something similar - with the caveat that I have some bases covered. We may be looking in different directions but if it helps...

I've got the loud, noisy, distorted, modulated sound thing covered well but I'm missing bread and butter bass and lead tones - I'm thinking rubbery portamento and arpeggios, and maybe some Warp-ish stuff with reverb. Basically if SH-101s were 500 dollars cheaper I'd be looking there.

Ideas:

Intellijel Atlantis: I like the differences enough to make them bonuses, and the patch points are very nice. The problem is I'm not in euro and it's $$$ by the time I get there just for the Atlantis (though I'd have NO problem expanding to fill 84 or 90hp once I had a case and power sorted)

Mother-32: Similar appeal without NEEDING the rack, and I don't currently have a Moog filter in my palette. I'm not sure I prefer it to the Roland ones though... (But I have a F-106 module if need be).

Vermona Mono Lancet: The above without the patch accessibility (until I get that euro system), but with a more appealing knob layout. Feels more immediately satisfying than the Mother, with less depth. The filter sounds slightly better but that could be subjective w/ like video white balance.

Eowave Magma: It's a currently produced SH-101 clone module? That's about all I can find other than "inspired by the... 80s!"

Arp Odyssey: I like the features but from the demos the sound feels thinner and brassier than I want - the stuff I'm not loving with my Evolver. I feel like I'd spend more time with the modulation options than writing melodies.

Bass Station II: Gets mentioned a lot but I haven't been wowed by a demo (I may not be listening to the right ones). I'd like to avoid a keyboard if possible.

AIRA System 1/1m + Plugout: I'm fine with the VA but the neon green is a dealbreaker. It's dumb but that's where I'm at.

Future Retro XS: Big and I'd prefer a 24db filter but it seems pretty close... though if I could do cheaper I'd prefer.

And other than that... what perfect synth am I forgetting that's going to scratch that exact itch?

Buy a Roland SH-09 on ebay or reverb. Amazing sounding monosyth, they basically cut down the quality and made it into the SH-101. Sounds better than a 101, you can still get them for like $500 which is the craziest steal in the gear world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miMopRfAdEQ

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Buy a Roland SH-09 on ebay or reverb. Amazing sounding monosyth, they basically cut down the quality and made it into the SH-101. Sounds better than a 101, you can still get them for like $500 which is the craziest steal in the gear world.

Wow yeah what the hell? I figured they were like 1.5k plus and didn't even look. Guessing it's the lack of arp/sequencer, which is just fine for me. Sounds like the Audio In does some cool env follower things too.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Yarbald posted:

Help me guys, I just bought a Pittsburgh Modular Foundations 3.1, I have no idea what I'm doing but it's so much fun!

i have a spare pressure points, if thats any help

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

sliderule posted:

But for real I keep hearing that you can never have enough VCAs, but I have relatively few. One pair of masters, the Scan & Pan for oscillator mixing and one attenuverting mixer. The distings can multiply two signals as well so there are two more, but I get the feeling it's still too few.

I can imagine that I have enough for the audio paths, but maybe not for CVs.

you need more attenuators, more mixers, and maybe more vcas. not too up on the monome thing but isnt ansible replacing most of their modules in fewer hp?
clouds and wogglebug are the only two modules i got rid of completely (keeping 1 pp) , clouds makes nice sounds just not for the way i play, and i found the wogglebug way less rewarding than something less prepatched like the sport modulator. its cool but it alone would eat most of your attenuation if you wanted it to, something like a triat and a mutable kinks might help this setup a bit more imo

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

eventide would like your money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEo65dGlg8&t=187s

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Space is so loving good

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

dj bobby bieber posted:

Space is so loving good

I have the H9, but 90% of the time it's set to their various space algorithms.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you need more attenuators, more mixers, and maybe more vcas. not too up on the monome thing but isnt ansible replacing most of their modules in fewer hp?

Yeah, fewer HP but no interactive terminal. Teletype means I don't need a computer nearby.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

clouds and wogglebug are the only two modules i got rid of completely (keeping 1 pp) , clouds makes nice sounds just not for the way i play, and i found the wogglebug way less rewarding than something less prepatched like the sport modulator. its cool but it alone would eat most of your attenuation if you wanted it to, something like a triat and a mutable kinks might help this setup a bit more imo

I swapped out wogglebug for a SSF Ultra-Random Analog so I hear that call.

Thanks for calling my attention to mixing and attenuation. After reading your posts I thought a bit about some patches I would make, and I can start to see how these would be useful/necessary.

Mutable Kinks doesn't look attractive to me: what can I do with it that I wouldn't do with a Disting, and how often would I do them?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

Thanks for calling my attention to mixing and attenuation. After reading your posts I thought a bit about some patches I would make, and I can start to see how these would be useful/necessary.

Mutable Kinks doesn't look attractive to me: what can I do with it that I wouldn't do with a Disting, and how often would I do them?
well it wont tie up a disting for s&h, and the logic processing can be very fun, especially to control panning and such, but if you dont imagine youd use it much you can get by without it. esp since you have the URA which offers an actual patchable white noise source, unlike the wogglebug, this was the biggest benefit to the rack it offers imo.

maybe you should get an lxd? you can use it with maths inner channels to get resonance, bp, and hp responses. or maybe a self oscillating filter to feed the wavefolder on the shapeshifter some time?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

maybe you should get an lxd? you can use it with maths inner channels to get resonance, bp, and hp responses. or maybe a self oscillating filter to feed the wavefolder on the shapeshifter some time?

You mean putting a self-oscillating filter in feedback with the wavefolder? Morpheus should be able to cover resonant filters, though. I'm sure there are a few self oscillating configurations.

Also how do you manipulate the LxD response? I've never touched an LPG, what am I missing?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
FYI: if you are in the US and you've got a Verbos module you were considering sending in for repair, do it now. They are closing their NY office and moving to Berlin on the 23rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Has anyone seen a video of the TB-03 connected to and being controlled by a K-25m? I'm curious to know if and how the two interact, but all of the TB-03 videos I can find are just standalone demos. :(