Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Glad to see Romeo Rose is doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This might be the most subtle and will executed loss edit to date.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Well done. Needs a cross post but I've had my fill of memes for the night.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Holy poo poo

I don't know what it says about me that I immediately recognized this.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Do you want to point out to him that it says wind not air? I mean it's a minor thing, but since he seems to have some lovely homebrew religion based on his tat it might piss him off enought to get rid of it.

Edit: Nope, not at all. That's like saying, oh it's okay because it's a windplane or a windconditioner. You sound like a dumbass. Also specifically since this is probably some onmyodo bullshit because of the five pointed star he specifically wants 'air' not 'wind'.

\/\/\/\

Also, wouldn't 地 be more appropriate than 土? At least for referring to what the idiot in question wants it to refer to?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KiteAuraan posted:

Also, wouldn't 地 be more appropriate than 土? At least for referring to what the idiot in question wants it to refer to?

地 is more like earth in the sense of the ground, where 土 is soil.

If he actually thinks it's referring to the five elements in Japanese philosophy, the fifth is 空 kū or sora (void), not this ego-masturbatory "worship yourself" horseshit.

My guess is he got the characters from Google Translate or something because he thinks it looks more mystical that way. :rolleyes:

E: gently caress, he couldn't even get the characters in a consistent style, and that 火 is wonky as gently caress. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Dec 13, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

One constant I've seen with any tattoo that implements kanji, or for that matter Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs or Chinese in any form is that they're all basically just run through Google Translate by someone with no understanding of the language in question.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Goddamnit, my mind was going there but yours is quickest.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Idgi

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Looks like a none pizza with left beef

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

KiteAuraan posted:

One constant I've seen with any tattoo that implements kanji, or for that matter Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs or Chinese in any form is that they're all basically just run through Google Translate by someone with no understanding of the language in question.

I saw a guy once with 完美的人生 ("perfect life" in Mandarin) tattooed down his arm in a really plain-looking font. The surprising thing was that it was all correct, grammar and characters, none of those bullshit fake characters. The characters were even well-formed, except for the fact that they were all backwards.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

You can throw Latin and Greek on there, too. Especially biblical stuff because they think it'll look more profound, and I guess Latin/Greek bibles are not actually super common things with the same chapter and verse system as English ones.

This has inspired me to look up bad Molon Labe tattoos, so enjoy:

The iconic Greek rat-tail helmet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

You can throw Latin and Greek on there, too. Especially biblical stuff because they think it'll look more profound, and I guess Latin/Greek bibles are not actually super common things with the same chapter and verse system as English ones.

This has inspired me to look up bad Molon Labe tattoos, so enjoy:

The iconic Greek rat-tail helmet.

Good ol' Moron Label :allears:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yes please let's just mix Latin and Greek

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

MO^nN
^ABE

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just tell any bro with a Spartan tattoo that they were defeated by the best pack of gays ever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bombadilillo posted:

Just tell any bro with a Spartan tattoo that they were defeated by the best pack of gays ever.

OG, you mean?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bombadilillo posted:

The Spartans ritualized boy raping, so the only major difference between them and the Sacred Band is consent.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Chichevache posted:

The Spartans ritualized boy raping, so the only major difference between them and the Sacred Band is consent.

Isn't that a highly contentious claim? Xenophon even said that poo poo didn't go down and he sent both of his sons through their military training program. Which, despite his bias, he probably wouldn't have done if it meant they were gonna get raped by senior military personnel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

God Hole posted:

Isn't that a highly contentious claim? Xenophon even said that poo poo didn't go down and he sent both of his sons through their military training program. Which, despite his bias, he probably wouldn't have done if it meant they were gonna get raped by senior military personnel.

Maybe I'm just falling for Athenian propaganda. :shrug:

They were down with cucking then. Let me have that slander at least.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
The Spartans didn't write anything down, so their enemies couldn't learn their secrets. Unfortunately, that means our only sources for them are their enemies.

Which is also why Ares has such a bad rap in the usual "Greek myth" stories, while Athena is perfect and virginal and daddy's favorite.

In Rhodes' version, Helios was the first god worshiped by mankind, and Athena was his wife.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Relevant to the kanji tattoo talk:

http://www.reshareworthy.com/asian-character-tattoos-gone-wrong/

Specifically #20 at the bottom

"What these characters actually mean: The character is actually the Japanese katakana ホ(ho) not 木 (ki, tree). The mistaken use of ‘ho’ is quite unfortunate considering the woman as both subject and canvas. And yes, the hip-hop slang meaning of ‘ho’ (whore) is known in Japan and written with the same character."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Seems like a much better situation to be in than the reverse

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The first one on there is 麺 holy lol dude permanently has the word "noodles" on his skin.

The takeaway lesson here is that you shouldn't get a tattoo in a language you don't speak, even if you think that your interpretation of what you think it means has, like, a totally deep and personal meaning for you.

On the other hand I really loving love noodles.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The first one on there is 麺 holy lol dude permanently has the word "noodles" on his skin.

The takeaway lesson here is that you shouldn't get a tattoo in a language you don't speak, even if you think that your interpretation of what you think it means has, like, a totally deep and personal meaning for you.

Maybe his fursona is a wiccan noodle wolf and STOP JUDGING HIM FOR HIS SPIRITUAL IDENTIFICATION. :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd genuinely rather have 'noodles' tattooed on me than 99.9% of the book quotes and spiritual poo poo people get, spelt right or wrong.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

Looks like a none pizza with left beef teat

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

Seems like a much better situation to be in than the reverse

I'm tickled by the idea of someone getting a tree tattoed on their whole back, and above it, it says "tree"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

davidspackage posted:

I'm tickled by the idea of someone getting a tree tattoed on their whole back, and above it, it says "tree"

That's so you can identify 20 years from now, after it's turned into a murky mess.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I decided a long time ago that if I ever get tattoos the first one I'm gonna get is gonna be a plum. When I'm wrinkled and 80 and people ask me what the hell that's supposed to be, I'll tell them "Oh yeah, that's a prune."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I decided a long time ago that if I ever get tattoos the first one I'm gonna get is gonna be a plum. When I'm wrinkled and 80 and people ask me what the hell that's supposed to be, I'll tell them "Oh yeah, that's a prune."

I can tell this dude is white because he doesn't moisturize.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

The Spartans didn't write anything down, so their enemies couldn't learn their secrets. Unfortunately, that means our only sources for them are their enemies.

Which is also why Ares has such a bad rap in the usual "Greek myth" stories, while Athena is perfect and virginal and daddy's favorite.

In Rhodes' version, Helios was the first god worshiped by mankind, and Athena was his wife.

All this. Also Athens, the enemy doing pretty much all the writing, had a weird hate/love relationship with Sparta where they alternately admired their stoic, super-jock ways, but other times ragged on them for being dumb brutes who thought with their spears.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If I could get a no-fail, perfect-every-time recipe for Lanzhou beef noodles, but the only provision was that I'd have to have the recipe tattooed on me, then, well, I'd also permanently have the word "noodles" on my skin.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

there wolf posted:

...the enemy doing pretty much all the writing...

People also usually fail to grasp that there was no monolithic Greek identity as there is today. These were essentially different groups of people who spoke more or less the same language and had similar religious beliefs but spent most of their time on conflict with each other.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

People also usually fail to grasp that there was no monolithic Greek identity as there is today. These were essentially different groups of people who spoke more or less the same language and had similar religious beliefs but spent most of their time on conflict with each other.

Yeah, but that's pretty much any place pre-nationalism.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

time for a trip to

http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I once saw a tattoo that I'll never forget in a previous version of this thread, years ago. It was a poorly-inked Garfield, nonchalantly riding a skateboard and holding a gooey-looking slice of pizza. I think he was wearing elbow-pads and a helmet. Does anyone know where I can find this image, or confirm that it even exists at all? No amount of googling has led me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

SoR Blaze posted:

I once saw a tattoo that I'll never forget in a previous version of this thread, years ago. It was a poorly-inked Garfield, nonchalantly riding a skateboard and holding a gooey-looking slice of pizza. I think he was wearing elbow-pads and a helmet. Does anyone know where I can find this image, or confirm that it even exists at all? No amount of googling has led me to it.

You sure it was Garfield and not Bart Simpson?