Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ethanol posted:

World of final fantasy - why did I pay $60 for this ps1 game?? It's fun though but I feel like it's going to not sustain

Why did they release this at the same time as FFXV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not having played I can't tell if that's GOTY immersion or go gently caress yourself obtuse.

One of the game's hints says that petting him in different places can have different effects. It's not a key gameplay element or anything, but I've noticed that he seems to calm down from battles quicker if you scratch him between his wings as opposed to anywhere else, whereas stroking his head encourages him to climb or take jumps faster. Could just be placebo effect.

It definitely is immersive, though - there have been very few times when Trico's movements seemed unnatural or programmed. He nervously paces around when you're doing lengthy climbing puzzles above him, gingerly feels his way about when he's on unsteady ground, and even does a hilarious little "okay, one-mississippi, two-mississippi" hip waggle when he's psyching himself up to jump into water. Also whenever he catches you with his tail like he did in the E3 presentation, he steals a quick glance behind him to make sure you're holding on and it's adorable.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Why did they release this at the same time as FFXV?

Because it was there to be a nostalgic throwback to the classic Final Fantasy games to go alongside the weird open world semi-action game that is FFXV.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
People here mostly happy with how FFXV came out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

"Pleasantly surprised" seems to be the general consensus. It's a huge mess, but with a solid core.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Rinkles posted:

Yes, unless you count weird guy who likes making 10000 word posts about how much he hates the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd say I'm definitely pretty happy with FFXV, the issue is that the problems are the parts that are going to stick with me more over time. It's a fun, charming game, though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rinkles posted:

In general. I'm glad it's out. I finished it. I spent 70+ hours in it. I got my money's worth. Story could have used some help in the middle however.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'm pretty happy with it. It's rough as poo poo and there's a lot of stuff they could fix but I had a good time with it.

I'll see how I feel in a few months once they patch some things and the weaker moments have had time to settle.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
from the outside looking in, it seems like the least controversial FF game in a long rear end time

edit: which in a long as time I guess I mean like the past 2-3 main games but that's like loving 15 years

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

from the outside looking in, it seems like the least controversial FF game in a long rear end time

I think it is because the flaws are generally fairly agreed upon. It isn't like XII where the Gambit System is love it or hate it. Either people like it enough to go "it's better than the sum of its parts" or they dislike it enough but can point to fairly unobjectionable complaints about the game and people can get why. It's... competent, even in the areas where it is incompetent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

it's a good game imo and I don't regret buying it at all, but they seem to have big plans for future patches fixing up the mess that is the game's narrative so I think anyone that doesn't already have it should just wait a while

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I think World of Final Fantasy is overall the better game and the one I enjoyed more as a long-time FF fan, but XV is probably more accessible if you don't know what this FF poo poo is about.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

One of the game's hints says that petting him in different places can have different effects. It's not a key gameplay element or anything, but I've noticed that he seems to calm down from battles quicker if you scratch him between his wings as opposed to anywhere else, whereas stroking his head encourages him to climb or take jumps faster. Could just be placebo effect.

It definitely is immersive, though - there have been very few times when Trico's movements seemed unnatural or programmed. He nervously paces around when you're doing lengthy climbing puzzles above him, gingerly feels his way about when he's on unsteady ground, and even does a hilarious little "okay, one-mississippi, two-mississippi" hip waggle when he's psyching himself up to jump into water. Also whenever he catches you with his tail like he did in the E3 presentation, he steals a quick glance behind him to make sure you're holding on and it's adorable.

I would believe they mocapped a real cat for his jumping animations (then added wing flapping by hand).

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Oxxidation posted:

Trico's AI is remarkably solid - he'll get hung up from time to time but after the first hour or so it's easy enough to read his body language and tell the difference between "distracted for a bit" and "never going to do this, ever." If he squawks when you try to give him a command that's a pretty clear sign he's not going to do it. Also, petting him on the head (specifically the head, anywhere from the back of his neck to his scalp) seems to coax him into taking large jumps etc. if he's being antsy.

Yeah I'm not trying to champion this game. I like it, but I know people won't like it and I don't care to die on a hill about video games. But it does a good job of making Trico and actual companion. It's not just there, it's there as an actual character. You feel its presence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trico feels more like an actual AI partner and not a character who happens to be following you around but is effectively a meaningless robot than any other game I can think of. Even if it is an illusion it is a *damned* effective illusion.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've enjoyed ffxv so far but the side quests absolutely depressingly bad even compared to the worst side quests in any game ever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

At this point "stubborn but weirdly lovable AI partner" is Ueda's overarching legacy. Whether its an ethereal ghost princess, a horse, or a bird cat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ethanol posted:

Knack. The order 1886. Little big planet 3. Driveclub

Everything but Knack on this list is actually bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LBP3 was eventually patched to be Okay, and it is definitely the best of the Little Big Planets, if only because they added characters that aren't Sackboy and don't control like poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't even know what forum meme is going to emerge if Knack 2 is bad. Knack me once, shame on you?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mycot posted:

I don't even know what forum meme is going to emerge if Knack 2 is bad. Knack me once, shame on you?

Knack's Back (in the GameStop)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Correction everything in that list is bad

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wow, cant believe it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
LBP 3 is not bad and if you think it is that's a weird opinion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I see it under five bucks I'll probably grab The Order. And maybe Knack. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played The Order for free and I want my money back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if Media Molecules new game is ever going to come out. I think it's going to end up being the next the Last Guardian where we won't see it until Sony's next console.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I paid full price for The Order and $6 for LBP 3 and got more playing time/value out of The Order.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assume that Sony will put Knack on PS+ in the runup to the sequel. I'll finally complete the platinum then, making it my only one since Resogun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ethanol posted:

I've enjoyed ffxv so far but the side quests absolutely depressingly bad even compared to the worst side quests in any game ever

This is what kind of steered me away from it. Not a big FF fan but I was pleasantly surprised when I rented 15 and was almost going to buy it, but I was put off enough by the "go kill some varmits" side quests I decided to wait on it indefinitely. There's too many RPG's available with actual fun side quests to want to bother with that.

I'm only judging the first few hours though. I didn't play much.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What's so bad about the Order 1886/ what happened with its development? I haven't played it but all Ready at Dawn's PSP games were excellent, very high quality games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Order 1886 was just a boring cover shooter and used really cheap quick time events. It had real bad pacing issues too where you're just walking around with nothing interesting happening.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The only really bad side quests are the traps and frogs. They made me so mad I was yelling at the anime bros on my TV irrationally to stop following me around and go look for them. I guess at least the frogs make sounds when you get close but the stupid traps. Ugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

What's so bad about the Order 1886/ what happened with its development? I haven't played it but all Ready at Dawn's PSP games were excellent, very high quality games.

There's almost nothing to it. The story is boring as hell, it's about 5 hours long with no replayability,what little gameplay it has is a pretty average shooter. It's the type of thing that they could have probably only got away with as a launch game but it came out once the PS4 had plenty of good games to play. Even though it's so short it absolutely drags.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah it was a tech demo that came out in the system''s second year

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

The only really bad side quests are the traps and frogs. They made me so mad I was yelling at the anime bros on my TV irrationally to stop following me around and go look for them. I guess at least the frogs make sounds when you get close but the stupid traps. Ugh.

I just searched online for those because I got tired of wandering around a small area over and over again

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I haven't used a Playstation newer than the PS2 but I have access to a communal PS4 where I live and I thought about giving The Last Guardian a whirl
I have two questions,

- Is there a legit reputable site for getting US PSN codes through Paypal? My credit card number is out of commission for a little while
- Is there anything I should keep in mind about sharing multiple accounts on the same PS4?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Item Getter posted:

- Is there a legit reputable site for getting US PSN codes through Paypal? My credit card number is out of commission for a little while

I think Greenman Gaming does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Item Getter posted:

I haven't used a Playstation newer than the PS2 but I have access to a communal PS4 where I live and I thought about giving The Last Guardian a whirl
I have two questions,

- Is there anything I should keep in mind about sharing multiple accounts on the same PS4?

Just buy PSN credit off Amazon, it's super quick and easy.

If you get your own PS4 then it's more complicated, but if everyone is sharing the 1, it's pretty simple and easy. If you buy the game with your account, set the PS4 to your primary and then everyone can play.

• Locked thread