Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

That would be dumb, just like another guy I know. He's the village ninja dunce who only got anywhere thanks to his hard work, but also his parents were super good famous ninjas. His name? Naruto.

i actually wanted to bring up goku's dad who also happened to be the one not-dickhead saiyan and also happened to fight frieza and also happened to be a super saiyan

and didn't bleach do this too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

bleach took it to super idiotic levels where the mc had every variable set of powers because of his mengele-genetics

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Work Friend Keven posted:

That would be dumb, just like another guy I know. He's the village ninja dunce who only got anywhere thanks to his hard work, but also his parents were super good famous ninjas. His name? Naruto.

Thank you for doing this. I considered it, but was too lazy to do it. Good job. :golfclap:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

i actually wanted to bring up goku's dad who also happened to be the one not-dickhead saiyan and also happened to fight frieza and also happened to be a super saiyan

bleach gave ichigo all of the powers forever but it was never a plotpoint that he was just a normal guy overcoming his situation. he was always special from the first issue

actually if deku's dad is all for one, that would be a case of even worse writing than bleach because they at least foreshadowed that poo poo in bleach :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the shounen ideal is for the protagonist to be special, but not too special. Like, it's fun if he has some ability no one else has, but it's not fun if that ability lets him easily trounce everyone he encounters (see: 99% of web novels). MHA is a good example of this - main character is special by virtue of having attracted the attention of the most famous hero and being given his power, but the power comes with its own set of challenges that don't render it disproportionately ridiculous.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brother Entropy posted:

Hey man, that's just confusing facts with fiction. Bardock never became a Super Saiyan and was a gigantic jerk just like the rest of the Saiyan Race, dude commited genocide on a daily basis as his job. He just happened to not want to see his own race genocided, and failed utterly at it.

Everything else in Dragon Ball about Bardock is non-canon and should be treated as such. Yes, even the parts Toriyama made. Minus is terrible.

Also I'm entirely sure Deku's parents are super normal for the setting. His dad's quirk was low-level pyrokinesis, that's straight from Inko's mouth.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Bardock never really fought him either, Frieza didn't have to leave his little car to kill him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

Bardock never really fought him either, Frieza didn't have to leave his little car to kill him.

in fairness i've never actually watched the bardock stuff i just kinda absorbed it secondhand from games or wherever else but it all sounded really dumb

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bardock being the first super saiyan and actually a nice family man is canon, for whatever that means in dragon ball. also goku's childhood was retconned and he wasn't an rear end in a top hat that needed to be brained by a rock to chill out after all

that stuff is lame and worse than the original stuff tho, plus it's just in side stuff anyway so you can just ignore it if you want

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hopeford posted:

That said, it would make no thematic sense or anything.

They've been pushing how similar Midoriya and Shigaraki are for 50+ chapters now. They're mirrors of each other. And Shigaraki is related to One for All.

There's also this:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i want to ignore bardock but i'm playing db fusions and he's my strongest unit rn so he's on my brain alot until i get someone to replace him

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vengarr posted:

They've been pushing how similar Midoriya and Shigaraki are for 50+ chapters now. They're mirrors of each other. And Shigaraki is related to One for All.

If it's a mirror, then wouldn't Deku be AFO's grandson and his dad still just a normal dude?

I personally don't think we'll get much about Deku's dad beyond maybe some stuff about him a pretty heroic person himself. Like, not an actual hero or anything but the type of guy who goes out of his way to help people or something.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

If you've got a super duper powerful quirk, and quirks can be passed on, with possible variation, to your children, and you can steal quirks from people, and you are really just extremely evil.

Yes, You have children, you have as many as you can, you take any useful power they might have been born with, and you abandon the garbage kids.

And then All-Might pounds your face into mush bringing your hosed up breeding program to an end.

Midoriya is probably All for Ones kid. But he was probably a reject.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Deku's dad is Ochako. The clues are all there

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Deku's father was Ochako's dad's business partner. He was killed by shoddy building practices which have harmed the company's reputation to this day, and the post-All for One story involves the heroes establishing a Japanese Super-OSHA.

The plot twist is that Deku's dad was the one that cut the corners in the first place.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Deku's dad is Sasuke, and also the traitor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd explain why he's never around at least

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

If you've got a super duper powerful quirk, and quirks can be passed on, with possible variation, to your children, and you can steal quirks from people, and you are really just extremely evil.

Yes, You have children, you have as many as you can, you take any useful power they might have been born with, and you abandon the garbage kids.

And then All-Might pounds your face into mush bringing your hosed up breeding program to an end.

Midoriya is probably All for Ones kid. But he was probably a reject.

I dunno, Midoriya's mom doesn't seem like the type of woman who would go for a tool like All for One.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Deku's dad is Darth Vader.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Poison Mushroom posted:

Deku's dad is Darth Vader.

NOOOOOOO!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vengarr posted:

Shigaraki is related to OfA in the same sense Deku is related to All Might: He was chosen as a pupil because he had something that attracted his mentor to him. In Shigaraki's case, it was his relationship with All Might's predecessor.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Deku is adopted and his real parents are quirkless nobodies who died

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Brother Entropy posted:

Being special and important chosen ones from a line of chosen ones is a common trait among all young adult protagonists, manga or otherwise. Naruto is just funny because he's explicitly set up as not that, but rather a hated outcast with no special skills other than determination, who then turns out to be village royalty with special unique superpowers.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
If Mineta got One For All, he'd be called "Ball Might"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Uraraka would be "Y'all Might".

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Mina would be "All Right!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If Bakugo got it, he'd be Dyna-Might.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cero would be 3Might.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shouji would be Tentac-All Might.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Tokoyami would be All Night.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hagakure would be Out of Sight.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Mineta is definitely Balls Might.

e: gently caress

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Jiro would be Sounds All Right.

.... The Uncharted 4 LP thread broke me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Jiro would be Sounds All Right.

.... The Uncharted 4 LP thread broke me.

accept the wordplay into your life and become punstoppable

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i banish you all to another world with a wave of my omnipotent hand

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mt. Lady... Tall Might.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aoyama would be All Light.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
super saiyan bardock is non-canon as fuuuuuck

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Momo would be Mall Might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

bardock being the first super saiyan and actually a nice family man is canon, for whatever that means in dragon ball.

I mean, you are right about the rest, but Story of Bardock is part of Dragon Ball Heroes, a card game that does ridiculous stuff like make Super Saiyan 4 Broly, not part of the main universe storyline.