Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
After finishing the WE campaign I'm pretty sure the big issue with balancing the faction is the decision to make Sacrificial Ground stack which can lead to some really bonkers stats if you get enough of them.

I bet Eagles are pretty OP when you have 25 sacrificial grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kestral posted:

Nope. Check this out:

Pictured: Marienburg, listed as one of the nine significant cities, with no special qualities - its settlement type is the same as Magritta, a regular old coastal city. What really gives it away is the garrison, which is supposed to have dragons according to that CA post, but instead has nothing more than the usual dryads and deepwood scouts. I disabled my mods and reconquered it just to make sure, and nothing. Seeding it creates the Large Coastal Outpost, as does razing and then colonizing. Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe having mods enabled at the start of the campaign broke it? You should get Occupied Marienburg instead of the usual Asrai lookout for the building. No special actions required.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Also Great Eagles loving suck, jesus. I'm using one from a Waystone garrison defense and this poo poo is going even with a unit of Ungor Raiders, for gently caress's sake. What are they even for? Hawk Riders at least are semi-decent flank chargers with bonus arrows I guess.

I think it's the fear/terror flying flank at T4? I can't even think of anything else, and they aren't even sort of worth having.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kestral posted:

Nope. Check this out:

Pictured: Marienburg, listed as one of the nine significant cities, with no special qualities - its settlement type is the same as Magritta, a regular old coastal city. What really gives it away is the garrison, which is supposed to have dragons according to that CA post, but instead has nothing more than the usual dryads and deepwood scouts. I disabled my mods and reconquered it just to make sure, and nothing. Seeding it creates the Large Coastal Outpost, as does razing and then colonizing. Is there something I'm missing?

I guess your Marienburg is glitched (maybe not just you, I didn't conquer Marienburg). But I took over a bunch of special cities in my Grand Campaign, and it did indeed replace the primary building

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So having played the mini-campaign and a round of the grand campaign with the Wood Elves as npcs, I conclude that they are assholes. Looking forward to being snooty and French when I turn the tables as Bretonnia.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I think it's the fear/terror flying flank at T4? I can't even think of anything else, and they aren't even sort of worth having.

If the stupid thing was able to disengage super easily it would be really useful to bolster your line at a moments notice, but its mass is so low and its so poo poo at fighting that its bound to get stuck and die on the first charge.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Carcer posted:

If the stupid thing was able to disengage super easily it would be really useful to bolster your line at a moments notice, but its mass is so low and its so poo poo at fighting that its bound to get stuck and die on the first charge.

This is so frustratingly true. I just had one get locked down by Free Company Militia for god's sake.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Mine got tangled up in goblin archers. Swooped in, couldn't get out before squig hoppers charged in from a distance away and was dead in about 10 seconds. If it would do swooping attacks where it never actually landed but rather "strafed" ground targets it would be so much better, even considering its pathetic damage output.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Deified Data posted:

Right, I don't like to min-max my armies, I just like filling them up with the coolest units that I feel truly represent the faction, but amber costs for stuff as middling as hawks actively punishes that mindset.

My mind goes back to the campaign selection screen that lists Slayers as one of the Dwarfs best units, and I wonder if CA has any idea what units on their rosters players are actually going to be using.

Yeah, I feel the same. I wanted to use all the units but as amber was so restictive I only ever built dragons.
Nothing worse than confederating and not realising the amber upkeep of the main province will put you in the red so easily.

If their intention is to have either elves with a smattering of trees or vice versa then they need to tweak the amber system. Doubling up the amber costs/earnings and make certain units cost either 1 or 2 amber might help.

I ended up bitting the bullet and using a more amber mod just for variance sake and to liven them up a bit.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Has anyone managed to confederate mousillon as vc? I've got them at 90 approval but they just wont bite, lmao

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Eagles need the melee upgrades on the wood elf lords redline just like all their other melee units. Two units of hawk riders and an eagle will chew up anyone's back line.

They are basically super mobile shock cavalry, and will kill hellcannons and dwarf artillery 4eva. Just don't charge them into a high hitpoint infantry unit. Like, don't charge anything big towards spears. Wood elves are the glass cannon army, can't expect birds to face tank a tarpit of spears!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Has anyone managed to confederate mousillon as vc? I've got them at 90 approval but they just wont bite, lmao

I could have sworn confederation wasn't a thing with the VC... Have the changed that recently or something?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

numptyboy posted:

Yeah, I feel the same. I wanted to use all the units but as amber was so restictive I only ever built dragons.
Nothing worse than confederating and not realising the amber upkeep of the main province will put you in the red so easily.

I've not found going into negative amber to be a real problem. I was keeping 1 or 2 in reserve for most of this campaign but I doubt I'll bother in the future.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
With testing, hawk riders can easily dispatch 2 units of goblin archers by quickly switching which ones they're currently mauling in melee. The arrow fire helps because it helped keep both goblin units on low morale until they both finally broke. The hawks didn't suffer a single casualty.

The eagle gets beaten by 2 units of goblin archers, even with the ai being absolutely retarded and having the 2nd goblin unit stand around doing nothing. It eventually routed with a sliver of health while the 2 goblins where about 50% damaged. It can't disengage and rengage as easily as he hawks, it does less damage in melee than the hawks somehow and critically it doesn't do as much moral damage as the hawks, even with fear.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

sassassin posted:

I've not found going into negative amber to be a real problem. I was keeping 1 or 2 in reserve for most of this campaign but I doubt I'll bother in the future.

It seems to stop replenishment of troops, which could leave you hosed unless you are moneybags.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

numptyboy posted:

It seems to stop replenishment of troops, which could leave you hosed unless you are moneybags.

If you're fighting battles and losing troops then you're almost certainly in a position to be raking in raid/ransom income and/or capture some new outposts.

As a temporary issue it's not worth worrying about imo.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I did.

As the Wood Elves :haw: :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hernia The Hunter posted:

Eagles need the melee upgrades on the wood elf lords redline just like all their other melee units. Two units of hawk riders and an eagle will chew up anyone's back line.

They are basically super mobile shock cavalry, and will kill hellcannons and dwarf artillery 4eva. Just don't charge them into a high hitpoint infantry unit. Like, don't charge anything big towards spears. Wood elves are the glass cannon army, can't expect birds to face tank a tarpit of spears!
Yeah, but Hawk Riders are better in melee [i/]and[/i] more versatile. Besides, Wild Riders already fill that role incredibly well. I don't expect birds to facetank a spear tarpit, I expect them to be able to gently caress archers up. And Hawk Riders are simply better at that than Eagles.

Irritatingly, you need to recruit 3 Wild Rider units to kick off Orion's Spear of Kurnous quest but the shield variants don't count. And since Orion is basically running a max-ranked army right now currently rampaging through TIlea, he's kind of far away from everything else. Oh well.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I found that the best way to use hawks against chaos in the campaign is to hover over their hellcanon's blind spots and pelt them with arrows instead of diving in and getting bogged down in infantry because the AI always puts them together so they can't cover each other so the full extend of their AA is the everfailure trying to fireball you(and wasting all his mana on shots that will miss 95% of the time) 2 hawks can take out all 4 of his cannons and do so before they get a single shot off at your main army and depending on how many sacrificial grounds you have you may have a significant of arrows left to shoot into some chosen's backs in the now 20v16 unit fight.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kestral posted:

Nope. Check this out:

I loaded up my Wood Elf campaign and took Marienburg to test it and it seems you've done nothing wrong, Marienburg is bugged. I got the default Asrai Lookout too. In the same game, I have Miragliano and its special building and previously took Drakenhof which also had its special. Not running any mods.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

I loaded up my Wood Elf campaign and took Marienburg to test it and it seems you've done nothing wrong, Marienburg is bugged. I got the default Asrai Lookout too. In the same game, I have Miragliano and its special building and previously took Drakenhof which also had its special. Not running any mods.

Probably not related but Marienburg is also the bugged city map that has uncaptureable towers thus their towers never fire in a siege.

Its cursed.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

I love the Waystalker hero. Great unit for sniping the big ticket units and if you can get one behind engaged enemy lines, he becomes basically Legolas, due to Hawkish Finesse.

"They were coming out of the trees man! They were coming out of the trees!"

It gets even better: Waywalkers and Waystalkers are currently bugged. They are supposed to have another special ability trait that activates if there are enemies within 70m (and finesse deactivates), which then gives them +40% rate of fire.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What does 'Forest Spirit' actually do? The game gives a fluffy explanation, but I want to know what kind of mechanics are going on when you have tree dudes in forests.

And Forest Stalker really needs to just have the drat arrows ignore trees completely, that would make fighting in forests MUCH more effective.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

What does 'Forest Spirit' actually do? The game gives a fluffy explanation, but I want to know what kind of mechanics are going on when you have tree dudes in forests.

And Forest Stalker really needs to just have the drat arrows ignore trees completely, that would make fighting in forests MUCH more effective.

Its all in their abilities; 20% physical resist, 40% weakness to fire, cause fear, part of their attack is magic damage is the standard pack I believe.

All the stuff is listed below in the unit card, the green points are just fluff to give you a broad overview of the unit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

Use melee troops instead of shooting.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I love the Waystalker hero. Great unit for sniping the big ticket units and if you can get one behind engaged enemy lines, he becomes basically Legolas, due to Hawkish Finesse.

"They were coming out of the trees man! They were coming out of the trees!"

Also one pro-tip for Wood Elf campaigns early on: At the start of the match, immediately war dec one of Elvish factions and stay at war with them until you have the strength to siege them.

Outposts don't pay for poo poo and the only way you can really expand your armies is by taking another wood elf stronghold. However, if you wait, some of the eleves will invariably ally with someone and it will be impossible to beat them with the military one settlement can support.

Declare war on your elfy neighbors then go into ambush stance in support range of your city. If they have most of a full stack and they think you're gone, they will send an attack force that you can then crush and counter siege the next turn.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Really glad to see the good ol' "Enemy army in your own territory can outrun you" bug is still a huge pain in the rear end. Big stack of Vampire Counts came to my territory. They sacked a village and I ended up a hairs breadth away from them. Next turn, they force march further into my territory, with me chasing behind. Numerous terrain obstacles keep me one step behind them at all times. They hop a cliff, and then I hop a cliff and am just out of reach from starting a fight. This went on for 5 turns and they went and sacked another settlement WHILST I WAS SO CLOSE TO THEM.

It's honestly bullshit. How the gently caress do I defend against that? There really ought to be a speed bonus in your own territory. So now I'm reverting a save so I can try and divert a bunch of my armies to choke points and hem the Vamps in, but it's ridiculous that I need to use 3 armies just to stop 1 enemy stack from force marching loops around me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Ambush stance. If the AI doesn't know your army is there, then even if they don't run into the ambush they'll often stop within easy reach of your forces.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ambush stance or you can just get the mod that gives you a movement bonus in your own provinces.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had no idea ambush stance instantly hides your army. I will give that a go. It's oversights like this that really ruin the experience. I was going at it for two hours, and then this happens and I have to break off 2 sieges just to handle the situation and then I just quit to desktop.

I can handle one settlement being sacked due to my own fault, but then having an army run rampant in my territory with me having no way to properly counteract it makes me want to save scum. Except I can't, since I only have turn-saves and last time I quick-saved was ages back.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
You can use banshees to block the army movement, banshees in general are amazing agents that i try to spam out a few of.

Edit: misread your post, insert factions block army agent instead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Inch perfect army movement is one of the very few ways the AI can present a challenge without actually cheating/playing by different rules to the player.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can also hire a second army to initiate fights when you're just slightly out of range.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sassassin posted:

Inch perfect army movement is one of the very few ways the AI can present a challenge without actually cheating/playing by different rules to the player.

Yeah I actually agree with this. It can be very annoying to deal with but the point of the game shouldn't be "the AI presents no challenge and I roll over everyone until I eventually win"

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Waystalkers have enough campaign movement range to leave your main force and block an army after travelling with Worldroots. I've ran down a whole bunch of Beastmen stacks this way, spares a lot of frustration!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Always build walls in your settlements. The beefy garrisons should be able to delay and damage the stack enough for you to catch up and destroy.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

Ambush stance. If the AI doesn't know your army is there, then even if they don't run into the ambush they'll often stop within easy reach of your forces.

Access to Ambush stance might be the main reason the Beastman campaign is better than Chaos.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Avasculous posted:

Access to Ambush stance might be the main reason the Beastman campaign is better than Chaos.

Why would Sigvald want to hide his magnificence, though?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

90 isn't that high. What's their strength rating compared to yours? Usually factions will only want to confederate if they're really weak and you're a lot stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Danann posted:

Always build walls in your settlements. The beefy garrisons should be able to delay and damage the stack enough for you to catch up and destroy.

Nah, no point using up important building slots of garrisons unless it's a chokepoint settlement that holds back constant threats (it makes it easier to defend with a smaller army constantly sitting in the settlement).

Also, on another note: what does getting sacked actually do? My settlement was sacked and they walked off with 4700 gold, but none of my buildings were damaged and the settlement was still producing quite a lot of gold each turn.

• Locked thread