Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nina posted:

Honestly I have to agree. The narrative would feel much more natural if it allowed itself to have few chapters of the characters not being driven by an off-screen cataclysm

If it was more of a packed downward spiral of "gotta save my dad, oh poo poo he's dead gotta at least save Luna, oh poo poo she's dead too, everything's terrible but let's at least try to get the crystal back" it would've packed more of a punch.

It would be fairly simple to have had Ardyn warn Noctis of the impending invasion when you first meet him at Galdin, then have you actually enter Insomnia to try and warn your dad but get there too late. It would totally fit with Ardyn's character to do so, but then again Ardyn's character is one of the highlights of the game and him being an inscrutable, affable weirdo in the first few encounters is a big part of building that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait, so what happened to diamond weapon or that knight who kills your dad? Do you fight them in post-story content?

Like Ravus I guess they died offsceen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like Ravus I guess they died offsceen.

They died in Kingsglaive.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was so loving hyped when I saw Diamond Weapon too.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Honestly in my mind the biggest factor to why the invasion may have even happened later in original plans is that if you were to keep the whole "gotta take Noctis to his wedding" motivation through Chapters 1-8 the narrative would arguably make more sense.

I'd prefer the structure to be more like Light-hearted road trip arc -> Empire-focused arc racing back to Lucis after the Empire out the marriage and treaty as traitorous plots and kill Luna, failing to also assassinate Noct in the process leading up to a battle in the capital and the events that would end up in Kingsglaive -> the final depressing act of just risking it all heading into Niflheim. Ardyn could show up all the way being a goof like he already does and Ravus could get his development over Act 2.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait, so what happened to diamond weapon or that knight who kills your dad? Do you fight them in post-story content?

Both those things were killed in Kingsglaive.

e: Also, unless you really really like seeing a lot of CG effort, don't watch Kingsglaive, for an action movie it is super boring and gives like no reason to care about any of the characters. Every important plot thing from Kingsglaive is already in the game, unless for some reason you really care about the backstory of Ravus or how some guy learned to be Lord of the Rings for a day.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

wizard on a water slide posted:

It'd be really easy to fix the flying in this game though, just make it faster and guide you safely into a landing any time you hit a button over a road/landing spot rather than forcing you to play a flight simulator minigame with instant game over for your first mistake.

Yep, the chance of instant game over if you fail, making you repeat the whole trip, was all I needed to never try it again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any reason to use the ring outside of chapter 13? I guess the nuke that uses all your MP could be decent but everything else is pretty poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Any reason to use the ring outside of chapter 13? I guess the nuke that uses all your MP could be decent but everything else is pretty poo poo.

Nah, it's pretty poo poo. Supposedly an upcoming patch will buff it which might make it more relevant.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well this is the only game I've beaten where you spend the night in the same RV as the boss of the game.

Edit: Ardyn says that you'll never figure out the origin of the name Izunia. Any tips? Is this discoverable in the postgame?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 13, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Well this is the only game I've beaten where you spend the night in the same RV as the boss of the game.

Edit: Ardyn says that you'll never figure out the origin of the name Izunia. Any tips? Is this discoverable in the postgame?

I'm pretty sure it's the original surname of Noctis's family who usurped the throne of Insomnia from Ardyn when the gods got pissed that he was using his power to cure people turning into daemons instead of killing them but I may be way off.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the original surname of Noctis's family who usurped the throne of Insomnia from Ardyn when the gods got pissed that he was using his power to cure people turning into daemons instead of killing them but I may be way off.

It's this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewilderment posted:

e: Also, unless you really really like seeing a lot of CG effort, don't watch Kingsglaive, for an action movie it is super boring and gives like no reason to care about any of the characters. Every important plot thing from Kingsglaive is already in the game, unless for some reason you really care about the backstory of Ravus or how some guy learned to be Lord of the Rings for a day.

Yeah Aaron Paul doesn't say "bitch" once.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Driving along the hills of Duscae with sunny weather, with Sunleth Waterscape blasting out of the car radio, is such a wonderful feeling.

bewilderment posted:

Diamond Weapon would make a cool superboss, hope they do cool poo poo like that with the DLC bosses.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The diamond weapon thing is just a very large variety of daemon the empire captured and dropped at places there wanted destroyed, and they had a bunch of them that they dropped in Insomnia. They all got destroyed by giant animated statues who have the same kind of fighting abilities Noct has.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

I would slot it in the weapons hotbar thing if I could keep the passive spellcast when you dodge. That was a lot of fun.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's the only logical answer, really. The way he phrased it (i.e. "You'll never guess") was weird though. I guess it's in character for Ardyn to tell a joke that only he will ever understand.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

The death ability is pretty useful for zero effort no thought risk free gil/xp grinding with the wyvern hunt at the base of the volcano.

Bushiz fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

That's the only logical answer, really. The way he phrased it (i.e. "You'll never guess") was weird though. I guess it's in character for Ardyn to tell a joke that only he will ever understand.

The way it read to me in the cutscene was that izunia was ardyn's brother or other close relation(who usurped him) but yeah it's basically the same idea

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Coughing Hobo posted:

Chapter 1 should have been the group shopping for supplies in Insomnia. Match the mundanity of pushing your busted rear end ride to Hammerhead.

Frankly the game would have just needed more things like this for the entire game though. Have the train ride be broken up into several regions, have more than one actual explorable city (and one kind of pocket dimension city), have more places to wander and more scenes happen.

Problem is that they didn't, and probably couldn't. Given how much money had already been sunk, they had to pull the trigger. You could talk endlessly about what FFXV shuould have done or could have done and I suspect people will for many years to come.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bushiz posted:

The way it read to me in the cutscene was that izunia was ardyn's brother or other close relation(who usurped him) but yeah it's basically the same idea

He did say something about the king who usurped him not being ready, so I guess it would make sense for them to be the same family, which would make Ardyn a relation of Noct. I was holding out hope up until the end that Ardyn would end up being the "true king" and everything would work out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
what should I use for doublecast if I'm in chapter 5? Do I need to grind a metric poo poo ton of things? It looks like it? Anything I can use to make a doublecast, I need like 30 of and I only have around 30.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Did that snake thing abuse prompto, by the way?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think having Insomnia fall so early offscreen is a misstep. You really should have had one segment pre-road-trip inside Insomnia both to make it feel more meaningful and so that the return-to-Insomnia at the end feels like an actual return and not the first time you've seen the place.

The entire way the story of the game was presented is a mishap.

What you suggested would only just begin to fix the many issues it has. It's completely patchwork nonsense with tons of really important things happening off-screen. Almost nothing makes sense unless you make jumps of logic to connect dots.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Megasabin posted:

The entire way the story of the game was presented is a mishap.

What you suggested would only just begin to fix the many issues it has. It's completely patchwork nonsense with tons of really important things happening off-screen. Almost nothing makes sense unless you make jumps of logic to connect dots.

I think the director was just way too attached to his "road trip with the bros" thing to actually let it be detracted by a little thing like your home city being invaded and your dad killed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think he was too attached to "We need to put out a big open world game that needs to listen to the feedback to the fans and make everything work in some 3-ish years or else I'm fired and the company's reputation is ruined forever" but

e: said feedback being airships, play as bros, immediate gameplay, etc.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Terper posted:

I think he was too attached to "We need to put out a big open world game that needs to listen to the feedback to the fans and make everything work in some 3-ish years or else I'm fired and the company's reputation is ruined forever" but

e: said feedback being airships, play as bros, immediate gameplay, etc.

Was there a good reason for the whole open world thing being necessary, other than that it is the in thing these days, despite the fact that pretty much every game series that went from linear narrative to open world has suffered from it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think the director was just way too attached to his "road trip with the bros" thing to actually let it be detracted by a little thing like your home city being invaded and your dad killed.

Road trip with the bros is the standout aspect of the game though. Like if you took it out and made this a generic Final Fantasy where you walk and then ride chocobos, it'd be really lame.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Was there a good reason for the whole open world thing being necessary, other than that it is the in thing these days, despite the fact that pretty much every game series that went from linear narrative to open world has suffered from it.

The reaction to FFXIII

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's a massive gulf between nebulous open space with occasional snippets of story and a literal 30 hour corridor.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The whole game would have been better if it was just a road trip with the bros with no end of the world plot inserted.

Just have the game be a personal story of Noctis needing to take responsibility to be a king and coming to grips with his political arranged marriage or something.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 13, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Terper posted:

Tabata ultimately didn't come through in my opinion. He made really poor choices in where to dedicate his limited resources. Chapters 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 were mostly filler that could have be condensed into one chapter.

1. Chapter V was basically just the runestone quests, which were tedious and not needed. Just have Titan and Rameh join you at the same time in Chapter 4.

2. Chapter 6 had the sidetrack into the imperial base which was extremely jarring to the pacing and tone set forth by the urgent need to get to Caelm expressed by the characters. Never have the party lose the car, and just forget this whole chapter.

3. Chapter 7 & 8 were entirely filler. The former is a giant fetch quest to get ore, and the other are the equally irrelevant powerplant/2nd imperial base quests. None of them contribute to the main story at all.

4. Chapter 10 was just a tomb; yet another detour from the main story

Those are barely spoilers, because there's so little content into those chapters. That's 1/4 of the game that contributes nothing to the overarching plot. That's poor planning on Tabata's part. Those resources really could have been used to flesh out Chapter 1, 10, 11, 12, 13. All those important late game events that occurred off screen could have been in the game. The early game wouldn't have even suffered, because there was so much open world stuff to do. This content mismatch is of the huge issues with this game-- the earlier chapters have most of the content, but it's all pointless and doesn't contribute to the story, and it's not even needed because that part of the game has a ton of fun open world stuff. In contrast the later chapters are linear & not open world, and thus would be better served by being content heavy, but instead they are anemic 30-45 min set pieces with a ton of stuff happening off-screen.

I get that the guy was under pressure, but he clearly couldn't handle it. Also why Nomura was allowed to mishandle this project so badly, and then be allowed to take the helm on his 2 current games is beyond me. They should just fire them both, and get developers who can actually plan and execute a project within a reasonable timeframe.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 13, 2016

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Megasabin posted:

They should just fire them both, and get developers who can actually plan and execute a project within a reasonable timeframe.

this is literally why they moved Nomura off the project and brought Tabata in. Like

???

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

There's a massive gulf between nebulous open space with occasional snippets of story and a literal 30 hour corridor.

Yep, and FFXIII was a reaction to the reaction to FFXII so it really seems that Square are unable to deal with criticism without going as far in the other direction as possible.

Andrast posted:

The whole game should have been better if it was just a road trip with the bros with no end of the world plot inserted.

Just have the game be a personal story of Noctis needing to take responsibility to be a king and coming to grips with his political arranged marriage or something.

I was thinking about how they could do this and give the game a purpose. They could have had the road trip being collecting all the summons with some justification about how Kings of Insomnia need the blessing of the gods? Then added more heart-to-hearts between Noct and the others about his feelings about becoming king and stuff like that.

They could even have done the same plot at the end by having Noctis needing to go to Altissia to marry Lunafreya come in Chapter 9 or so and then have all the events of chapters 1 and 9-15 happen then.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Legs Benedict posted:

this is literally why they moved Nomura off the project and brought Tabata in. Like

???

Yea, and I'm saying Tabata didn't make good choices with the time he had in my opinion. Also they moved Nomura off the project and made him head of two other ones. So he can what... make a mess of those two games as well?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think Prompto's camera came from the Twilight Zone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anything you like?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

How about the decals?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Anything you like?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So despite getting the mark Bahamut only shows up in cutscenes right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"Noctis, we need to go to X"

"Several days later"

Driving to place X

Why? There's a ingame time cycle that makes passing of time feel very natural (especially since sleeping and eating are major gameplay mechanics)

Why everything happens few days later?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 13, 2016

• Locked thread