Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I get what they mean when they say they'd rather have no story than a long-winded story, but the Doom 4 we got has a poo poo story which is a worse outcome than both of those. :/

Dumbest comment in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
They don't even need to change the story at all. All they would have to do is keep the very beginning cutscene where Doomguy throws Hayden's screen aside, then for the rest of the exposition scenes unlock the doors for whichever room Hayden is trapping you in so you can just leave as soon as he starts talking. Don't even do the thing where you walk away and the NPC dialogue continues on your communication link, just run out of his office as soon as the monologue starts and have his voice fade out to nothing.

Excited to play through this a fourth time on nightmare since I upgraded my monitor to a PG278Q and got a 1070 to go with it. I can't even remember the last game I played that was good enough to play four times.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CJacobs posted:

Well I'm happy for you, but I didn't say that you can't ignore it, I said the game won't let you. You can't skip any of the cutscenes or the voice logs, and despite nailing Hayden's whole deal in the intro they still fumbled later on and have multiple segments where all you can do is just loiter around while he says the same thing at you over and over- things he could be saying while you're going through the level. To me it feels like the developers were shooting for having as little story as possible, and in that way they succeeded as much as you can in a modern high-profile video game. Where they failed was how they deliver that exposition to you.

I agree with this to an extent. Yes, there's unskippable monolog exposition in the main story, but there's less than a handful of these instances in the entire game. Personally I don't love it but I can forgive it.

Then again you could play Arcade Mode if you wanted, which sounds like it could be what you're looking for. But even then, if I'm honest, I would have liked an option to remove the gigantic point-splosion display every time you kill an enemy. I'd have loved an option to just display the score in an upper corner of the screen or something, with maybe the points for every kill subtly flashing next to the score total as you play. The huge points thing isn't bad by any means but it would have been nice to have an option to tone it down.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 13, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SirSamVimes posted:

It sometimes forces you to sit and wait while exposition happens which is dumb.

My one complaint about this game.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Well I'm happy for you, but I didn't say that you can't ignore it, I said the game won't let you. You can't skip any of the cutscenes or the voice logs, and despite nailing Hayden's whole deal in the intro they still fumbled later on and have multiple segments where all you can do is just loiter around while he says the same thing at you over and over- things he could be saying while you're going through the level. To me it feels like the developers were shooting for having as little story as possible, and in that way they succeeded as much as you can in a modern high-profile video game. Where they failed was how they deliver that exposition to you.

??

Theres like...3 scenes in the entire game where this happens.

are you a child?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
edit: actually this thread/game is too good to dig into that

rip and tear on

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 13, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Seeing that footage of canceled Doom 4 you can tell they went immediately from Rage to that which isn't a terrible thing because the shooting and enemy animations in Rage were great. It was...pretty much everything else that was mediocre and unfinished.

Also I'm kinda super into the female resistance fighter that's front and center from the leaked CG sequence.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Yodzilla posted:

Also I'm kinda super into the female resistance fighter that's front and center from the leaked CG sequence.

Kinda reminds me of Briggs from Titanfall 2 who, for some reason (YOU KNOW WHY :mad:) wasn't the protagonist.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Up Circle posted:

??

Theres like...3 scenes in the entire game where this happens.

are you a child?

And those three scenes are bad, which is the point of what he's saying?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the story is cool and good and the monologues are a good point to go smoke a doobie before ragin onwards

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Then again you could play Arcade Mode if you wanted, which sounds like it could be what you're looking for. But even then, if I'm honest, I would have liked an option to remove the gigantic point-splosion display every time you kill an enemy. I'd have loved an option to just display the score in an upper corner of the screen or something, with maybe the points for every kill subtly flashing next to the score total as you play. The huge points thing isn't bad by any means but it would have been nice to have an option to tone it down.
There is an option to tone it down. I think you can turn it off too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the game would've been much better if Doom Guy had just ripped off Dr. Robot Scientist's head and clipped it to his belt. then the Dr. can provide all the dumb exposition one could want without having to lock you in a room. you just run around ripping and tearing while he complains about his situation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

uber_stoat posted:

the game would've been much better if Doom Guy had just ripped off Dr. Robot Scientist's head and clipped it to his belt. then the Dr. can provide all the dumb exposition one could want without having to lock you in a room. you just run around ripping and tearing while he complains about his situation.

Now I want to see Doom Guy vs GLaDOS.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

The game you want is Shadow Warrior (2013)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

I get what they mean when they say they'd rather have no story than a long-winded story, but the Doom 4 we got has a poo poo story which is a worse outcome than both of those. :/

There's just enough story to explain why we'll get a cool sword in the sequel.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

And those three scenes are bad, which is the point of what he's saying?

it's a combined 5 or 10 minutes in the entire game. The scene in Hayden's office is just an health/ammo restock. They aren't painfully badly written or voiced and they are brief pauses, he's real dumb to whine about it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thank christ they did not go ahead with that story heavy cover shooter version of doom they originally started developing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PRESS X TO RIP AND TEAR

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Seeing that footage of canceled Doom 4 you can tell they went immediately from Rage to that which isn't a terrible thing because the shooting and enemy animations in Rage were great. It was...pretty much everything else that was mediocre and unfinished.

For all of RAGE's problems, the character design and animations were excellent and the ones in the leaked Call of Doom clip didn't look bad either. I wouldn't mind seeing Resistance Girl and Knock-Off Nick Fury in the eventual sequel to this game.

I dug the occasional Silent Gentle Giant characterization of the Doomguy in this game and hope they continue with it. I want more fist bumping and reluctance to sacrifice AIs amongst the ripping and tearing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Spatial posted:

There is an option to tone it down. I think you can turn it off too.

Holy crap.

Thanks

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Up Circle posted:

it's a combined 5 or 10 minutes in the entire game. The scene in Hayden's office is just an health/ammo restock. They aren't painfully badly written or voiced and they are brief pauses, he's real dumb to whine about it.

Criticising the game for having completely flow breaking exposition scenes is real dumb?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It's called pacing? I mean you can hate them but they aren't the worst thing in the world given the games pace the rest of the time. That said, I agree that the pacing would've been better done with something interactive or skippable.

They dropped the ball by adding characterisation to the intro cutscenes (smashing the elevator comms), but none in the later scenes.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Criticising the game for having completely flow breaking exposition scenes is real dumb?

Games don't go at at the same pace all the time my friend!!

even in the kill poo poo and blow it up simulator, short breaks are good things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They don't even need to change the story at all. All they would have to do is keep the very beginning cutscene where Doomguy throws Hayden's screen aside, then for the rest of the exposition scenes unlock the doors for whichever room Hayden is trapping you in so you can just leave as soon as he starts talking. Don't even do the thing where you walk away and the NPC dialogue continues on your communication link, just run out of his office as soon as the monologue starts and have his voice fade out to nothing.

Excited to play through this a fourth time on nightmare since I upgraded my monitor to a PG278Q and got a 1070 to go with it. I can't even remember the last game I played that was good enough to play four times.

I'd think Hayden would drone on through the intercom systems. Which you should be able to shoot.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Maluco Marinero posted:

It's called pacing? I mean you can hate them but they aren't the worst thing in the world given the games pace the rest of the time. That said, I agree that the pacing would've been better done with something interactive or skippable.

They dropped the ball by adding characterisation to the intro cutscenes (smashing the elevator comms), but none in the later scenes.
And you dropped the ball, by forgetting about when Doomguy smashes the Argent Filters in the later scenes.

My take on _anyone_ complaining about anything story-wise in this game :sad:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Both the Olivia/Hayden scenes could have been vastly, and easily-improved by allowing the player to demonstrate Doomguy's violent contempt for everyone. Give the player the opportunity to smash up the safety glass and slowly wrench the door open as Olivia did her reactor-thing. Let the player shoot-up and dismantle Hayden in his office, only to have a side-closet open up to reveal another robot body admonishing you for rudely interrupting his monologue. Then wreck up his office.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

nnnotime posted:

And you dropped the ball, by forgetting about when Doomguy smashes the Argent Filters in the later scenes.

My take on _anyone_ complaining about anything story-wise in this game :sad:

That's fair, still makes the times where you sit and watch and exposition dump kind of glaring. I didn't even say I minded DOOM's story, it's just they missed clear opportunities to 'juice' the characterisation, which is odd considering the effort in presentation throughout.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Both the Olivia/Hayden scenes could have been vastly, and easily-improved by allowing the player to demonstrate Doomguy's violent contempt for everyone. Give the player the opportunity to smash up the safety glass and slowly wrench the door open as Olivia did her reactor-thing. Let the player shoot-up and dismantle Hayden in his office, only to have a side-closet open up to reveal another robot body admonishing you for rudely interrupting his monologue. Then wreck up his office.

Hell, that's an amazing idea. It doesn't change anything but Hayden could see how brutal is doomguy and laugh about it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

In the second trailer for the documentation, there is one shot of a storyboard, displaying the scene with the Cyberdemon. It features this:

e: Also that Hugo Martin guy seems really on point. Can't wait to hear more from him in the other two parts.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 13, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ChickenHeart posted:

Ahaha this would own so hard. I remember people talking about it in this or some other thread but it's still a great idea any time someone mentions it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My favorite part of this game is the entirety of the game.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Michaellaneous posted:

e: Also that Hugo Martin guy seems really on point. Can't wait to hear more from him in the other two parts.

I love how he really breaks it down with great counter examples. Do.. Do you think the company has a secret occult department? Of course they do but its def not a secret! They are shouting into megaphones about their reverent program where they are looking for volunteers. We are going to turn humans into demons!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My favorite part of this game is the entirety of the game.

DOOM doesn't feel like an entirely accurate name.

Maybe they should've just called it GOOD.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Looks like the Call of DOOM concept was simply doomed from inception.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Part 2 of the Noclip documentary - basically 24 minutes of talking about the first five.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Kins posted:

Part 2 of the Noclip documentary - basically 24 minutes of talking about the first five.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

Yea this is fantastic. Hugo Martin is a cool, funny dude.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
While we can all agree that unskippable cutscenes aren't very fun, that's not what the original post mentions.

CJacobs posted:

the Doom 4 we got has a poo poo story

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
unskippable cutscenes hamper the gameplay on subsequent playthroughs but Doom's story is pretty drat good

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doom's story is loving cool. Go murder demons. Quit reading into poo poo. In the video posted above, even the team admits that it's an efficient framework to let the player shoot poo poo and have a great time. They're not trying to pen Bioshock here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Doom. :yeah: