Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I meant they should use it to keep constant low-level investigations going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

I meant they should use it to keep constant low-level investigations going.

They're 10 times more likely to inadvertently restart HUAC and hand the keys to republicans, than actually uncover anything.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

OOps our plan to create a mild political annoyance for Trump resulted in further extension of the surveillance state, and probably more voter disenfranchisement laws.

Guess we'd better go wander around the woods for a bit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So just how much influence did Russia have on this election?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

not much but it's sure fun to say otherwise!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

some in that they hacked the rnc, the dnc, and podesta's emails and dropped it in assange's mailbox but not actually hacking the voting machines like peter daou and david brock are one step from implying

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

also lol if you think the remnants of the dem establishment would give up to sanders without a fight, even if it's a mildly progressive candidate instead of a third way centrist

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/us/politics/thomas-perez-democratic-national-committee.html

quote:

Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez has told three senior Democrats that he intends to run for chairman of the Democratic National Committee, challenging the front-running candidate, Representative Keith Ellison, and inserting an ally of President Obama into the contest to rebuild a bruised party.

Mr. Perez, who had also been considering a run for Maryland governor, is expected to reveal his plan to seek the D.N.C. chairmanship this week, according to Democratic officials briefed on his decision who requested anonymity to discuss private conversations. He did not respond to inquiries about his decision-making.

While Mr. Obama may not offer a formal endorsement of his labor secretary’s candidacy, Mr. Perez will effectively have the imprimatur of the president who appointed him to his cabinet. Mr. Perez’s entry into the race could start a proxy battle between Democrats loyal to the Mr. Obama and those from the more liberal wing of the party represented by Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who is backing Mr. Ellison, a Minnesota progressive, for party chairman.

[...]

While he has served in positions in state and federal government, Mr. Perez, 55, has scant experience with electoral politics, having served just four years on the Montgomery County Council in Maryland. The state party chiefs and other committee members who make up the voting members of the two national parties at times prefer candidates to come from their own ranks when they do not control the White House.

[...]

But Mr. Perez’s bid will also test how willing Democrats are to risk angering Mr. Sanders’s legions of grass-roots supporters — and whether they will bow to Mr. Obama in the final weeks of his presidency.

thanks obama

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

That seems like a bad idea. Like I know you don't mean this at the exclusion of all else, but even in a greater context, I don't think the Dem base would take that seriously. And Trump blithely dismissing this stuff will be the even more cool, relatable version of Hillary looking annoyed with Trey Gowdy.

Dems' eyes should be on Paul Ryan. This entire idea that people are painting him as the 'good sensible Republican' when they need to have the knives out for him as he plans to dismantle entitlement programs further- that's a narrative you can win against a snot-eating dork like Ryan, and it's the right thing to do for people.

Trump hates Paul Ryan, and Bannon wants him dead.

Lets see what happens... Maybe they can make a deal.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

OK so I'm dredging this up from 7 pages ago, from Baloogan of all people (love you man, you're first in line when it's for jello shots), but what the hell is the X axis here??

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

OK so I'm dredging this up from 7 pages ago, from Baloogan of all people (love you man, you're first in line when it's for jello shots), but what the hell is the X axis here??

Distribution of approval ratings for Obama, by Party

Scale 0 to 100%

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Team of rivals!

I'm starting to think Democrats may need to stop taking inspiration from Abe Lincoln.

everybody takes the wrong advice because lincoln's cabinet was entirely republicans. it's called team of rivals because half of the cabinet was his opponents for the republican nomination

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Its like some guy you know telling your wife you're cheating on her with the secretary and now she wants a divorce. You're real angry with that guy, but the real issue is probably all the cheating. Maybe don't do that going forward.

Montasque posted:

Brock says the HRC campaign had no persuasion script for campaign canvassers... That they had deep analytics but no real outreach.

Also he says HRC is not going to retire, and that she's more popular than Bernie, and she won the popular vote!

The more I hear the more it sounds like the Hillary campaign was run by a bunch of very smart quantitative analysis morons. A bunch of very well educated but completely stupid people got together and thought numbers were what was most important, rather than the people those numbers represented. Never let a quant out of the dank basement computer lab or they start thinking they're people and can manage things.

Montasque posted:

Reasons why Hillary lost:
The Hillary campaign didn't compete in Wisconsin.
- Too much analytics.

Even a stopped watch etc.

quote:

- Brock says the way Trump played PUSSYGATE was perfect. He went right after the Clintons. Brock says his sister bought the "Locker room-talk" line and voted Trump.

David Brock could not even get his sister to vote for Hillary. Well done. Must be all the internalized misogyny.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Zikan posted:

also lol if you think the remnants of the dem establishment would give up to sanders without a fight, even if it's a mildly progressive candidate instead of a third way centrist

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/us/politics/thomas-perez-democratic-national-committee.html

thanks obama
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/801458583695224837
Perez is a good man, and a friend to labor, but I have more confidence in Ellison being able to rebuild the grassroots and provide a concrete vision to work towards. I wouldn't mind Perez in a position concentrating specifically on labor outreach, but the party needs a new direction more than anything else.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Listening to Keith Olbermann having a total meltdown, and claiming that the United States is no longer an independent country but a puppet of Moscow, is the absolute high point of this year - is what I would like to say, knowing that there are still three weeks left.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah I love KO but man the years haven't been kind to his mental state since he got booted from MSNBC.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i can't get over how they're trying to sell this story now, when its so far gone. 'hey guys, here's a bunch of old news, still backed by your favorite people in the world, the cia"

breaking: trump said months ago it was cool how putin murkd journalists

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Multiple generations have been irrevocably warped by popular culture and inherited myths. Olbermann was doing his Murrow impersonation so much, he actually started thinking of himself as a powerful newsman. The entire liberal establishment is collapsing, because they can't understand how the politics of respectability failed. They thought of themselves as Sorkinesque protagonists, when all along they were the functional idiots in an Armando Iannucci script. *throws my papers @ your monitor*

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Said it before and will say it again, people like Olbermann and Moore were broken clocks during the Bush administration. The signs that they are smart and perceptive and fun to watch but also flawed in their thinking were always there. But like, at the time the people who were supposed to be guiding lights for opposition to the Republicans were...doing poo poo like voting for the Iraq War. There was nobody else for anyone not lost in the 9/11 era hysteria to turn to. I'll always respect them for standing up against Bush, but I'm not going to listen to much of what they say going forward. Though Moore of course was ahead of the curve on how real Trump's chances were. Trust Moore when it comes to the rust belt at least.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

blamegame posted:

i can't get over how they're trying to sell this story now, when its so far gone. 'hey guys, here's a bunch of old news, still backed by your favorite people in the world, the cia"

breaking: trump said months ago it was cool how putin murkd journalists

Oh it's getting better.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/808494947716497409

Influential branches of the intelligence community are admitting that the CIA has no evidence the Russians intended to tamper with the election.

quote:

The overseers of the U.S. intelligence community have not embraced a CIA assessment that Russian cyber attacks were aimed at helping Republican President-elect Donald Trump win the 2016 election, three American officials said on Monday.

While the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) does not dispute the CIA's analysis of Russian hacking operations, it has not endorsed their assessment because of a lack of conclusive evidence that Moscow intended to boost Trump over Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, said the officials, who declined to be named.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not only did they gently caress up one of the most winnable elections in history, but they're going to legitimize Trump's first 100 days by making any attacks against him seem desperate and specious by association.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/808582890606837760

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

is there a single redeeming quality of the DNC

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
wasted a bunch of liberal cuck money

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

wasted a bunch of liberal cuck money

the failsons & daughters of rich Democrat supporters thank you all for your donations, which helped them adult like a boss before having to get real jobs

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id play dwarf fortress for 80$/hr

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Senator McCarthy had some pretty good ideas, you know...
- progressive liberals of the Democratic Party, 2016

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Said it before and will say it again, people like Olbermann and Moore were broken clocks during the Bush administration. The signs that they are smart and perceptive and fun to watch but also flawed in their thinking were always there. But like, at the time the people who were supposed to be guiding lights for opposition to the Republicans were...doing poo poo like voting for the Iraq War. There was nobody else for anyone not lost in the 9/11 era hysteria to turn to. I'll always respect them for standing up against Bush, but I'm not going to listen to much of what they say going forward. Though Moore of course was ahead of the curve on how real Trump's chances were. Trust Moore when it comes to the rust belt at least.

I think Moore really re-established his credibility in 2016. We went from making fun of him in July to saying how prescient he was in November. I have to give him that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Huey Long would show up unannounced on the floor of the Louisiana State Senate/House and the committees. He would stand in front of reps/senators who were opposed to his progressive legislation and bully them in front of everyone, or sit on their desks and yell at them until they went along with him. Long rammed a lot of legislation through Louisiana this way, including free textbooks for schoolchildren and huge road construction programs for rural areas. Dude was a hero to the common people.

He was also corrupt as hell and required all his crony appointments to send a portion of all their paychecks to his campaign funds. He ruled Louisiana like he had a divine mandate, but he did some drat good work.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Montasque posted:

Lots of stuff there. Brock puts a lot on Sanders. Says CTR was only 15 kids...

So he paid "kids" 80k to post online?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Why would Perez even want the job? He has zero experience in that aspect of politics. Man the Democrats suck.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

mugrim posted:

So he paid "kids" 80k to post online?

Walking around money. Troll around on SA a bit, Mitt Romney. Get yourself some ice cream afterwards!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Considering it's seasonal work, was probably a 60-hour workweek, and in the third most expensive rental market in the country, that $80k probably isn't going too far.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

There was a tier of what position your trolling would reward you with, ofc. Working the Reddit rounds would land you a positon as Secretary of State.
Twitter got you secretary of education.

SA got you head of the forest service :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nichael posted:

I think Moore really re-established his credibility in 2016. We went from making fun of him in July to saying how prescient he was in November. I have to give him that.

Moore, okay. But I'm choosing to believe that anything Scott Adams was right about was just a coincidence.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

docbeard posted:

Moore, okay. But I'm choosing to believe that anything Scott Adams was right about was just a coincidence.

:same:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol salty

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
dilbro has more insight than u do lamo lam bo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Baloogan posted:

dilbro has more insight than u do lamo lam bo

Dilbro lives in a Dilbro shaped house and thinks evolution is crazy talk. but sure whatever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Behead those who follow the false prophet Scott Adams.

Bill Mitchell carries the word of God with him.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mitchell seems more socially adjusted than Adams, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As an owner of several Dilbert books, I feel happy to have my purchasing decisions validated.

• Locked thread