Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DeimosRising posted:

You realize you're writing a fantasy about the Islamization/Arabization of the U.K., right? Even granting that the ancient Egyptians weren't Arab or Islamic, the implications of a story where Britain's colonial past has brought in an unstoppable alien presence from the Orient that spreads and conquers her from the inside are...unmistakable and unfortunate.
It's just applying the logic of these stories in a fashion more conducive to spectacle. I mean, these kinds of stories are basically about precisely that, whether it's ancient Egyptian curses or handsome Eastern European gentlemen having more luck with the English ladies than the locals, at their core they're about foreign menaces menacing proper society. At least the moral of "Don't steal people's poo poo" is a positive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Fair enough - definitely similar anxieties at work, hence the Universal Mummy being almost identical to the Universal Dracula and both closely resembling the then current depictions of East Asians as lusty womanizers. The exotic power of the foreign accent and the brown dick haunts the nightmares of white guys everywhere.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Fair enough - definitely similar anxieties at work, hence the Universal Mummy being almost identical to the Universal Dracula and both closely resembling the then current depictions of East Asians as lusty womanizers. The exotic power of the foreign accent and the brown dick haunts the nightmares of white guys everywhere.

While The Creature From The Black Lagoon is about miscegenation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Maybe racism good? asks posters in The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Who Greenlighted 2016: Egypt's Not Dead 2: Resurgence: Next Generation

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

You realize you're writing a fantasy about the Islamization/Arabization of the U.K., right? Even granting that the ancient Egyptians weren't Arab or Islamic

...?

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 11, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Turning London into some goon's orientalist vision of ancient Egypt would probably do Britain good, to be honest. It'd certainly do wonders for the weather.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

From the Universe of Harry Potter

Fantastic Beasts and loving Mummies.

Take back the EU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Casimir Radon posted:

Do people really dislike Schumer that much? She's maybe not exactly what alt-right white nationalist types think is acceptable but it's not like she's Lena Dunham.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Lafayette_shooting

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm so depressed I don't remember that at all

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

All the shootings by crazy white guys blend together after awhile

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno, I'd love a Vice City 2 or San Andreas 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It wasn't a great film, especially compared to her show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PSP, but I think that was a prequel

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It was ported to the ps2 and then that version to the ps3, though you are right about it being a prequel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So apparently the reason for that unnecessary cover of "Do You Realize??" in the new Transformers movie is because even Wayne Coyne has standards.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

So apparently the reason for that unnecessary cover of "Do You Realize??" in the new Transformers movie is because even Wayne Coyne has standards.

the writer & director of Christmas on Mars is a musician????

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
im just kidding, but i do assume that movie sucks poo poo

e: Christmas on Mars

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's actually not bad at all, though it's a mess.

I still have the postcard they were mailing out in 1998 that claimed Christmas On Mars was gonna be out in 1999. It's a miracle it ever got released, let alone that it was as good as it was.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

It was ported to the ps2 and then that version to the ps3, though you are right about it being a prequel.

It also had Phil Collins in it as himself.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

It also had Phil Collins in it as himself.

Did miss Cleo reprise her character from the original Vice City?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

" KILL THE HAITIANS"

Yeah, that will go over well. Jacked is a good book but it suffers in comparison to Masters of Doom. Mostly because apparently almost nobody who works at Rockstar is particularly likable. Yes, John Carmack at peak cat-death-sentence autism is more likable and relatable than 90% of the people at Rockstar.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

To be expected of people famous for rodent death games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Casimir Radon posted:

peak cat-death-sentence autism

Please explain this term, it sounds great but it means nothing to me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please explain this term, it sounds great but it means nothing to me.
Carmack used to keep his cat around id's office. Until one day he decided that she wasn't a benefit to his life anymore and BEEP BOOP sent her off to certain death in an animal shelter. Then be couldn't understand why everyone was mad at him. The book quotes Romero as yelling at Carmack that "She's going down to Chinatown!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

The sixth GTA game is called GTA IV.

GTA's a little weird about this since the games, 3/Vice City/San Andreas and 4/5 aside, don't have any continuity with each other. I think Vice City and San Andreas are considered side stories to GTA3 rather than full entries, even though they're huge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GTA and AssCreed are numbered like the version numbers of software. And they are software so it fits.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

Did miss Cleo reprise her character from the original Vice City?

Yeah

^^ rear end Creed abandoned its software version number scheme after IV

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alrighty folks, time to see what poo poo is going to be green lighted in years ahead: It's the 2016 Blacklist!

This year's highlights include:

LIFE ITSELF
Dan Fogelman

A multigenerational love story that weaves together a number of characters whose lives intersect over the course of decades from the streets of New York to the Spanish countryside and back.
Alternate Title: Definitely Not "This Is Us"

THE OLYMPIAN
Tony Tost

The true story of an underdog rower trying to make it into the 1984 Olympics, told through the story of his relationships with his coach, his father, his fiancée, and with competition itself.
Alternate Title: Generic Sports Movie

THE POST
Liz Hannah

Before Watergate, there was The Pentagon Papers. This is the true story of how Washington Post scion Katharine Graham and legendary editor Ben Bradlee overcame their di erences to publish the story that would change their lives.
Alternate Title: All The President's Men: Episode 1

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
Colby Day

Explores the entire history of the universe and our species through three interwoven storylines that question the very nature of life, love, mortality, where we’ve been, and where we’re going; the past, present, and future of the human race.
Alternate Title: Definitely Not "The Tree of Life"

UNTITLED LAX MANDIS PROJECT
Seth Spector

A frustrated film exec at odds with the state of his industry is forced to work with the one person who is making him question everything.
Alternate Title: How to Lose Friends and Alienate People 2

DARK MONEY
Matt Fruchtman

The true story of a young stock trader who goes to work for billionaire tycoon Steve Cohen and gets involved in the biggest insider trading scandal in history.
Alternate Title: Definitely Not "The Wolf of Wall Street" or "The Big Short"

LINDA AND MONICA
Flint Wainess

The absolutely crazy true story of the relationship between Monica Lewinsky and Linda Tripp, the woman who nearly destroyed the Clinton presidency - and herself in the process.
Alternate Title: A Lot Less Relevant Now

THE BUILDER
Tom Cartier

A look inside the tortuous drama of Donald Trump’s first Manhattan real estate deal, his relationships with troubled older brother Freddy and famed fixer Roy Cohn, and how they all created the Trump of today.
Alternate Title: A Lot More Relevant Now

There are also biopics on the list about Madonna (this was #1), Carl Sagan (a love story probably written about 5 minutes after someone watched The Theory of Everything), Rosemary Kennedy (this will be depressing as gently caress), two movies about Stephen King, two movies about people who hosed and/or wanted to gently caress George Harrison (including Eric Clapton), a bunch of scripts about AI becoming sentient and post-apocalyptic sci-fi, two movies involving fairy godmothers, a dystopian Hunchback of Notre Dame, and a whole lot of female led/powered scripts, none of which will actually get made because Hollywood is risk-adverse as gently caress.

My three favorite ideas, without snark:

JAMES CAMERON’S TITANIC
Jen D’Angel

A Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead take on Titanic. An overprotective mother attempts to keep her teenage daughter, young son, and rowdy sister together while sailing on the doomed voyage of the Titanic in 1912.

SAVING CHARLIE CHAPLIN
Justin Shady

With Nazi agents attempting to stop the production of a lm that is poking fun at Hitler, an FBI agent and an LAPD detective must team up to protect a drunk and angry Charlie Chaplin from being kidnapped.

CONTINGENCY PROTOCOL
Mark Townend

When futuristic technology renders the Federal Witness Protection Program obsolete, the U.S. Government begins using Time Travel to hide high-pro le witnesses in the Past. When a security breach occurs, a U.S. Marshal and her witness struggle to nd their way back to the Present Day while evading assassins.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

GTA's a little weird about this since the games, 3/Vice City/San Andreas and 4/5 aside, don't have any continuity with each other. I think Vice City and San Andreas are considered side stories to GTA3 rather than full entries, even though they're huge.

This is correct. GTA 1's three levels are Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas. That's why the the Vice City and San Andreas were made as spinoffs to GTA3 instead of getting a number. But it was kind of silly in retrospect since San Andreas is like such a massively improved game in scope from the previous 2, but each one kept some stuff unique to it so I guess that's cool.

GTA4 was so lame in some ways, I think they realized the next game was going to have to be way improved tonally and such which is why they went with making it a numbered sequel. But also GTA4 was in a weird place because DLC was becoming a thing, and it came out at the right time on 360/PS3 that it just. Kept. Selling especially with the two expansions. I remember reading some articles that GTA4 sales alone pushed the needle on the US economy. Like very very very little because it's a single video game of course but that there was even this noticeable massive explosion of sales of it in such a short time was unheard of.

There were some interesting rumors about GTA4 before details of it were officially revealed that were all way more interesting than the reality. The two big ones were that it was going to take place in NYC NYC with very accurate terrain instead of "Liberty City" or another parody type city. Or that it was that it was going to be in Hong Kong. The other was that it was going to be in a near future vaguely cyberpunk kind of Liberty City like Anywhere, USA in Grand Theft Auto 2.

Instead it was Rockstar's attempt at "serious" storytelling and holy poo poo LMAO.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 13, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DC Murderverse posted:

SAVING CHARLIE CHAPLIN
Justin Shady

With Nazi agents attempting to stop the production of a lm that is poking fun at Hitler, an FBI agent and an LAPD detective must team up to protect a drunk and angry Charlie Chaplin from being kidnapped.

I didn't read this carefully and thought this was about the FBI and LAPD trying to stop Chaplin from making an anti-Hitler movie because the US was not at war with Germany yet and the authorities were afraid of a diplomatic incident.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait, isn't Stephen King still alive?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, isn't Stephen King still alive?

2016 ain't over yet.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

UNTITLED LAX MANDIS PROJECT
Seth Spector

A frustrated film exec at odds with the state of his industry is forced to work with the one person who is making him question everything.
Alternate Title: How to Lose Friends and Alienate People 2
So Max Landis has retreated into writing fanfic about his own life now?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TetsuoTW posted:

So Max Landis has retreated into writing fanfic about his own life now?

Max Landis is the villain in this one. I actually read the script, it's not very good, but as a cathartic work making fun of Max Landis, it's pretty great. In the script Lax Mandis has written a script called DARK, which is like Panic Room set in a closet, and also there are orcs.

The orc thing is a recurring joke, which is hilarious to me and probably a very small subset of people and no one else.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DC Murderverse posted:

Max Landis is the villain in this one. I actually read the script, it's not very good, but as a cathartic work making fun of Max Landis, it's pretty great. In the script Lax Mandis has written a script called DARK, which is like Panic Room set in a closet, and also there are orcs.

The orc thing is a recurring joke, which is hilarious to me and probably a very small subset of people and no one else.

I love the idea that this screenplay even exists. gently caress Max Landis. :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

As someone who doesn't follow the movie industry all that closely, why is Max Landis so hated?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

As someone who doesn't follow the movie industry all that closely, why is Max Landis so hated?

Annoying style personality & nepotism little too blatant

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Olympic Mathlete posted:

C'mon, look at the guy.

Do you even need to ask?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Born on third, convinced he hit a triple and deserves widespread acclaim for his awesome hit, relentlessly blames everything else in the world every time one of his movies under-performs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
He reminds me of those guys you see on Reddit or YouTube who leave a random movie pitch in a comment and gets up voted a ton, but actually making movies.

• Locked thread