Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This seems to be the established Best Thing to do from those in the know, just from past web inquiries on the matter.

Unless you're sourcing cables from the original manufacturer or something like that.

Lord knows I have a spare set around the house somewhere from when I worked for the cable company.

I'll check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Since the connection usually goes bad right at the turntable and not in the middle of the cable, sometimes you can just shorten the original cable a little bit.

Shorter is always better when it comes to phono cables.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Swapped out the cables, still the same problem.

Where should I look next?

EDIT: Actually it's worse. Now both speakers have conked out. Loud buzz, faint music in the background.

Second Edit: So I took out the cartridge and cleaned the contacts with some rubbing alcohol and now it appears to be playing through both speakers (albeit the right one sounds muffled? I'm not even sure how to describe it).

I also have more audible pops now. Could just be the cartridge/Headshell needs replacing perhaps?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 3, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had the same problem with a turntable. I took the cart off, deoxited everything, but it back on and it's been fine since v

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

I had the same problem with a turntable. I took the cart off, deoxited everything, but it back on and it's been fine since v

I think I've isolated it to my right PSB speaker. If does the same thing with the FM radio and if I change spots on the receiver it does the same thing.

Now I got to troubleshoot the tweeter :/

EDIT: Took the speaker apart. What I believe is the Field Coil fell off the back (looks like it was glued at some point). I don't see any breaks in the cabling though. How can I safely remount it?

Second Edit: Found the break. Looks like when the coil became unglued it tore one of the contacts out of the capacitors. I'll solder it back in and pray.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 3, 2016

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, Final update I guess.

Re-soldered the wire back in place. Worked for 30 seconds then the Tweeter cut right back out again. I can't see anything else that would stand out as a problem.

I'm almost ready to just give up on these PSB's unless I can find a cheapo place to repair them. I can pick up the exact set from Kijiji for $90 but I'd rather not at the moment.

What a bummer.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I love my Pentas so much, even though they are old, beaten up and probably need a refoaming!

I also picked up and resold some incredibly nice vintage Pioneer CS-565 speakers. That frequency curve doesn't lie, even with that huge bass element, bass was almost nonexistant in them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love the blatant lie in the specs below the graph. Frequency range 45Hz-20kHz? Yeah, at like -12dB :v:

Pask
Jun 17, 2013

as Goon as Dead

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This might sound basic but have you double-checked your stylus to make sure that there isn't a dust clod wedged on the cantilever or something?

It's weird but sometimes the switch to a different looking piece of gear means that our brain misses stuff when doing the usual trouble shoots.

Yep, checked it, nothing up there. I did notice a screw was a bit loose when checking the cartridge/ stylus, but otherwise everything seems to be the same. Adjusting the weight didn't really do much, but i'm going to try and align the needle more accurately with the record(s) and see how that performs.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Killed it at a record auction on Sunday. Very few people there. They bid things like AC/DC, Iron Maiden and of course mass-produced Elvis Beatles way too high, but I picked up the original French import of La Planete Sauvage soundtrack (which seems to go for over $200 and this one is nm..I would grade it M if I was keeping it..it is flawless), the Chinatown Soundtrack, a Cradle of Filth record signed by all the members , and an unopened record from Infernal Majesty, who I never heard of. Plus probably 150 other 'meh' records, most of which I can sell from $1-$10 locally, unless there is more gold which I haven't came across yet

Spent $120 total

He also had 100's of Edison's and 78s he probably would have given me because no one wanted them. I've done well with those before, and I was tempted, but I have no room for them and no way to test them. Also, of the random one's I inspected only 20% were visually ok. I know a visual inspection isn't as telling as with vinyl, but I figure if they looked wrecked they probably sound wrecked.. I find 78s are also virtually impossible to ship.

I did email him today asking if he would let me cherry pick the Edison's and I would compensate him for them.. He had enough that looked nm that I feel confident in spending a little on them. Hell, I once sold 40+ chipped and falling apart Edison's to someone who was crafting with them or something, I only made like $50 or $60, but she paid a lot in shipping all those.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 6, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I finally sold those Tandberg Fasetts. Barely broke even on them. I've got to tell myself to stop dealing in Tandberg gear, because even if it goes for a lot of money, all of it has 40 years of wear, tear, dirt and questionable repairs that has to be dealt with before it can be sold on for anything other than parts.

Those Pioneer speakers were visually beautiful with dark palisander wood in amazing shape, even if it was just veneer over particle board.

Have I mentioned that I love my Pentas?

I'm not sure what to do now that I've reached peak Bang & Olufsen, but I've been eyeing more and more NAD and Marantz gear and coupling it with Bowers & Wilkins DM603 or DM604 speakers, which seem to be plentiful around here. I also want Yamaha NS-555 or 777 speakers, with 444 and 333 surrounds for my home theatre.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

I'm not sure what to do now that I've reached peak Bang & Olufsen, but I've been eyeing more and more NAD and Marantz gear and coupling it with Bowers & Wilkins DM603 or DM604 speakers, which seem to be plentiful around here. I also want Yamaha NS-555 or 777 speakers, with 444 and 333 surrounds for my home theatre.

Surely you jest. Now is the time to start on the newer Beolab speakers, I would recommend a set of Beolab 1s with a Beolab 2 subwoofer. It's an absolutely amazing combination.

And those Yamahas are way too new. Get yourself a set of NS-1000s, those are proper speakers.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Nah, all my stuff in this thread I've gotten by being in the right place at the right time, having patience, driving around to thrift stores and flea markets and being ready to jump on deals, repairing broken stuff myself and reselling etc. All the B&O stuff I have now I've bought with money made from earlier deals or by buying lots and selling off enough to cover my cost and keeping what's left, so besides the time I've spent on it it's free stuff.

Basically it's a self-financing and somewhat profitable hobby I got into by accident that helps deal with the costs of vacations, car repairs etc, and the hobby aspect of it gets me off my rear end and keeps dogs from barking in my head. BeoLab 1/2 and NS1000s cost real money and have real value, but are also old enough to need expensive repairs. My gear that I have now I could just dump in the trash without feeling that I had lost anything financially significant, and then start rebuilding a new collection.

Edit: I hope that didn't come off as too pessimistic, I do this also because I love getting and playing with nice stuff for cheap, driving around and seeing all kinds of stuff at thrift stores and fleamarkets, dealing with the people, getting money and loving bitches!

evobatman fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 6, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know a guy who pulled a set of NS-1000s in mint condition from a dumpster a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I know. I hate him, too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
We had in-house electronics recycling at my last real job, I pulled so many thousands of dollars of stuff out of there I should probably put it in my tax returns! No good speakers though, but my Beogram 5500 with MMC4, a whole bunch of laptops, Windows keys from broken PCs. DDR2 RAM is only worth $3-4 per stick, but when you have 80-100 sticks you start noticing it!

I know of several outdoors recycling centers here that I can just drive up to at night, but I haven't quite gotten to the point where I'm dumpster diving.

Yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KozmoNaut posted:

I know a guy who pulled a set of NS-1000s in mint condition from a dumpster a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I know. I hate him, too.

This is how I feel about everybody who bought a pre-1996 Porsche 911 before the entire market skyrocketed in value this year.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
$35 got me a Sony X303ES CD player!

Unfortunately no remote, but the guy said he would look for it. Just the remotes by themselves are like $150 on eBay.

Also, no wood sides, I need to find them to class it up!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah I'll bet he's looking real hard bro.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I know, that's why I repeated three times that I tried looking for remotes online but they were nowhere to be found, and I would be REALLY thankful if he found it for me. I don't care if he interprets that as an offer to get his dick sucked as long as it slightly plants the idea in his head that he actually should look for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wouldn't be surprised if all Sony CD player remotes used the same codes. I had a Sony VCR remote that was probably 10 years older than the VCR I had and it worked fine for the most part.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Buddy gave me his Dads old speakers to replace my bad PSB.

SP-X 4000's by Sansui.

They sound pretty good but I don't exactly have a baseline since I've been trying to get this kijiji find working correctly since day 1.

I think I'm there. Might get a new Cartridge for the player soon though. I think the Garrard is worth it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Not really something special but I've looked for one in good condition for some time and those records are fucken mint

Came out the year I was born :corsair:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was playing some pool at a friends house and he mentioned that some drunk knob blew out his garage stereo.

He asked me about buying one of my setups but I told him he's better off with a junker because way too many drunks hang around his house and will just blow the next one.

I vaguely remembered having a curb find that I remembered needing the pots cleaned so I told him he could have it.

It's a pioneer SX-750. I found it on the curb about 10 years ago and never did anything with it. It needs the bulbs for the tuner dial and the FM and Phono functions and the pots need to be cleaned but realistically the wood means it will never be worth repairing. Works fine other than needing the knobs jiggled due to the scratchy pots.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Won't any Craigslist hobby woodworker fix that up for $20 and a sixpack?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My buddy said he could probably make new sides for it easily. My point is any collector value is toast and it would cost more to do it right than that unit is worth.

Glad it finally has a home.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have finally taken the plunge into vinyl! Bought a Samsung PL8400H for cheap. Is it good? I have no idea!

I had a question about speaker power, which I thought would be MUCH easier to understand (stupid me).

I bought this sweet looking Pioneer SA-520 because it had a glowing blue thing on the front (got it for $30). I'm looking at some speakers now but am having trouble figuring out what wattage I should get. Here are the details for the amp: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sa-520.shtml

Power output: 32 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 60kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Damping factor: 40

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 82dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

Would these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-S-J210-STEREO-HIFI-LOUD-SPEAKERS-100W-8-ohms-/222342689970?hash=item33c4a834b2:g:7S4AAOSwImRYTUrm#viTabs_0) be suitable? You guys know everything, please help me!

EDIT: Maybe these? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-S-323X-Vintage-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Speakers-60W-/291961401056?hash=item43fa416ee0:g:LZsAAOSwEzxYQr-F#shpCntId) They're less powerful and 6 Ohms

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 13, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice grandfather clock on the right.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Alan_Shore posted:

I have finally taken the plunge into vinyl! Bought a Samsung PL8400H for cheap. Is it good? I have no idea!

I had a question about speaker power, which I thought would be MUCH easier to understand (stupid me).

I bought this sweet looking Pioneer SA-520 because it had a glowing blue thing on the front (got it for $30). I'm looking at some speakers now but am having trouble figuring out what wattage I should get. Here are the details for the amp: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sa-520.shtml

Power output: 32 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 60kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Damping factor: 40

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 82dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

Would these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-S-J210-STEREO-HIFI-LOUD-SPEAKERS-100W-8-ohms-/222342689970?hash=item33c4a834b2:g:7S4AAOSwImRYTUrm#viTabs_0) be suitable? You guys know everything, please help me!

EDIT: Maybe these? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-S-323X-Vintage-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Speakers-60W-/291961401056?hash=item43fa416ee0:g:LZsAAOSwEzxYQr-F#shpCntId) They're less powerful and 6 Ohms

Those speakers are appropriate. You can also use a lower Ohm rated set of speakers than your amp, but in general you should try and match them because it makes your amp run hot if the speaker impedance is lower than the Amp output. Also as a side point, that''s not a great deal for those speakers. Seems like they usually go for between £20-30.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Jeza posted:

Those speakers are appropriate. You can also use a lower Ohm rated set of speakers than your amp, but in general you should try and match them because it makes your amp run hot if the speaker impedance is lower than the Amp output. Also as a side point, that''s not a great deal for those speakers. Seems like they usually go for between £20-30.

Thanks! You mean the first ones? OK, I'll keep an eye on on ebay for something cheaper. I was hoping for more that price range anyway.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

What is that hip-bruiser jutting out from the clock?

Is that a self-portrait at-top the cd altar?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Isn't that a shelf with a beosys remote under the clock? Looks like the remote mine came with.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
In fear of seeing this thread slip to page 2 on the forums, I did a late Friday night run to pick up a bunch of stuff that a guy was just giving away for free. After sorting through it, this was what I was left with:

The Sony CD changer is pretty special since you can change the CDs in the carousel while still having another CD playing. Otherwise that and its single disc brother are competent but unremarkable. The remote I got with the CD changer works on both the single disc player and my Sony ES CD player, which was a pleasant surprise.

The Technics CD player sounds VERY nice to listen to, absolutely the best performer in this bunch.

The tape deck works pretty well and sounds as good as any other tape deck, but will need several rounds of cleaning on its heads before it's up to its full potential.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had a very similar CD player to the non-multi one, I always appreciated the fact it had a button for tracks 1-20 so you could jump to them instantly and easily. I also dug the fact I bought it in something like 1991 and I believe it's still going strong to this day.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Looks a lot like part of this system I have. My Dad was using it as computer speakers for a while but he wanted something smaller. I took this back so, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet though.

IMG_3890 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Edit: I paid $25 for the whole system.

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 19, 2016

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I bought a vintage Yamaha CR-1020. It worked perfectly for the first six months or so. Now the right channel randomly goes out; if I pick up and shake the receiver or move it, I can get it to start working again, but it ultimately always goes back out (without moving the reciever or turntable again).

I only have a turntable and two bookshelf speakers connected to it. Very confident it is the receiver and not the other components.

What options do I have or what else do you need from me to diagnose? I am a vintage electronics Luddite but I can probably learn enough to fix it, assuming it's an easy fix.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It might be a bad solder joint but try deoxiting the balance pot.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Friend wants to do a group present and get another friend a record for her birthday along with a record player. Her suggestion was one of those cute portable vintage style players with a builtin speaker. I've persuaded her to let me find a proper one but I'm constrained to roughly 50€

I'm searching around and finding a half decent player with a builtin preamp at that price is a little challenging. Anyone have a suggestion which fits?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ashex posted:

Friend wants to do a group present and get another friend a record for her birthday along with a record player. Her suggestion was one of those cute portable vintage style players with a builtin speaker. I've persuaded her to let me find a proper one but I'm constrained to roughly 50€

I'm searching around and finding a half decent player with a builtin preamp at that price is a little challenging. Anyone have a suggestion which fits?

Won't you need speakers and an amp? Or does she have something with an aux input already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
We know she has a stereo but no idea if it has a phono input hence going for builtin preamp.