Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

RyokoTK posted:

But there's not really any reason for them to not continuously re-release and update Mario Maker.
Maybe Mario Maker was a hail mary to try and redeem the WiiU and if the Switch is successful maybe Nintendo would want to take back the keys to their Kingdom, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

NoneMoreNegative posted:

*tsk* Johnny-come-latelys who didn't but a big-box copy of Tekwar in a store the week it came out!

and then took it back a couple days later because holy poo poo was it bad even way back when

Wasn't Tekwar technically the first Build engine game to come out? If I remember right it doesn't even have sloped surfaces.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pairofdimes posted:

Wasn't Tekwar technically the first Build engine game to come out? If I remember right it doesn't even have sloped surfaces.

Legend of the Seven Paladins was the first technically. Witchaven was the first legal commercial Build engine game, Tekwar was released shortly after.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How do you guys organize your wads and map packs when you're playing doom? I generally install Doom once every 5-6 months, download a few Wads, forget which ones go where and then get stuck with a disorganized mess of 10-15 Wads and don't know what to do anymore and do a fresh reinstall.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Use a launcher like ZDL, and then keep your map wads in one folder and you gameplay wads in another and your IWADs in a third.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I do mostly the same, but I have four folders: IWADs, gameplay mods, vanilla-compatible maps WADS, and more extravagant (GZDoom, etc) map WADs.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I use Doom Launcher. You can organize things by making tags for whatever categories you want (eg. megawad, gameplay mod, total conversion, etc.) with images and descriptions (it can even auto-populate the metadata for things that are on idgames) and set up individual mods to run with specific combinations of source port, load order and command line options if needed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Map sets have one folder per iwad; gameplay mods go to the trash bin.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just toss everything in my main GZDoom folder and use Doom Launcher when I want to use more than one mod at once, otherwise I just have wads set to automatically open in GZDoom so I can just click them and they'll open.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lork posted:

I use Doom Launcher. You can organize things by making tags for whatever categories you want (eg. megawad, gameplay mod, total conversion, etc.) with images and descriptions (it can even auto-populate the metadata for things that are on idgames) and set up individual mods to run with specific combinations of source port, load order and command line options if needed.

This sounds incredible and I wish it was for OS X as well.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If you use Doom Launcher, do a whole-texfile search for who is john galt

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I just have a 20 gig folder of wads I've collected through Doomseeker and from Doomworld over the years. When I find stuff I like I create a subfolder for it, tossing in any maps/megawads/gameplay mods I might want to play it with and adding a shortcut to GZDoom for quick drag and drop selection of wads. There can be issues with wad load order but I don't often mix/match or play with anything too gameplay changing anyway. Having countless copies of various megawads across countless folders is probably why my wad directory is 20 gigs but I find conveinient organization offensive to my idiot senses so it's okay.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

why not just symlink the wads into folders?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cat Mattress posted:

Map sets have one folder per iwad; gameplay mods go to the trash bin.

Surely SmoothDoom is too pleasing for the trash, it is very smooth

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dump all my wads into a single directory (now up to 10.5 gigs) and use an excel file w/ vba to create a small batch loader for whatever wads I'm interested in playing. It lets me pretty quickly set up recording sessions for individual maps, and it logs what I play. For when I'm in a rush to play something I just use ZDL.

I don't know that the batch loader is of much interest to people, but the excel I use has a list of ~2000 wads and ~12500 individual maps including map titles, authors, what game and port the wad should be launched with, and various errata. The point of this was initially because I wanted to be able to play through a given mapper's levels to see how they evolved over time. I was gonna post it here anyway because I was working on it tonight again after reading the Cacowards. You can download it here if you're interested.

At some point I'll put this into a web facing db but that's probably not happening anytime soon.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you put some directories into a DOOMWADDIR environment variable, most source ports will automatically look for WADs there so you don't need to have more than one copy of anything. So I have stuff sorted like \games\doomwads\doom2\aaliens.wad but I can just run \games\gzdoom -file aaliens.wad and it'll find it.

If I'm loading a whole asston of different things at once I use ZDL, but it's usually fastest and easiest to just launch from command line.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I just shove ZIP files into a directory, where they're sorted into subfolders by what they do (Gameplay Mods, Mapsets, etc.) and loaded directly using ZDL.

I also went the extra step and gave them a different file extension with different behavior defined in Explorer, so if I want to test something quickly I can do "right click > Run in GZDoom" without messing up ZIP handling.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I sort my WADs using the Doomy Decimal System

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

I sort my WADs using the Doomy Decimal System

gently caress.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrhCeKVPzfI&hd=1

*snort snort*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like that they even added the pinky(or imp?) idle sound after the reload

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Is that one of those 1-in-10000 reload animations like the joke ones in Hardline?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's very spot on...so spot on Bethesda might sue. Still, a very cool easter egg!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As an abashed liberal, I hate to say this but Trump Doom is actually worth a playthrough.

it doesn't take itself too seriously, and throws more than enough shade at all the candidates. Level design is almost all Duke 3d urban areas too. It does have one SUPER racist implication that's awful, but for a 14 level mapset thats made by 4chan I expected much worse.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I didn't get to test it yet but it does look pretty decent and well put together indeed.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Not an FPS, but I had a sudden pang of nostalgia for Oni earlier this week and ordered a £3 copy off ebay, which just arrived. Surprisingly, there's a fully functional fan-patch with a still semi-active fan community, and the mod repository contains stuff that was released in 2014.
Oni's one of the best games Bungie ever made.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Negrostrike posted:

*snort snort*

I sometimes hear that exact idle snort coming from my gut when my bowels are churning garbage through my rotten old poop tubes and I like to imagine that a pinky demon will inevitably burst from my side like an alien born from decades of lousy diet. A beautiful baby boy of my very own.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

treat posted:

I sometimes hear that exact idle snort coming from my gut when my bowels are churning garbage through my rotten old poop tubes and I like to imagine that a pinky demon will inevitably burst from my side like an alien born from decades of lousy diet. A beautiful baby boy of my very own.

:gerty:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

treat posted:

:stonklol:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

All I can say is I'm so used to these sounds I just don't notice them anymore. I even see Doom as a different thing from other DOS games somehow, maybe because I play it constantly since 1995, mostly with modern source ports.

I still notice Quake grunts though. ERRRRGGHH!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

All I can say is I'm so used to these sounds I just don't notice them anymore. I even see Doom as a different thing from other DOS games somehow, maybe because I play it constantly since 1995, mostly with modern source ports.

I still notice Quake grunts though. ERRRRGGHH!

I know Reznor did the music and sound effects for Quake, but I wasn't aware until today) that he actually voiced Quake guy.

"Huwah!"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Someone put together a 30mn documentary on the cancelled Doom 3 sequel and how it turned into DO4M: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

treat posted:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

treat posted:

filth hound

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Part two of the Doom doco is out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

treat posted:

The Early FPS Megathread: A beautiful baby boy of my very own.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know Reznor did the music and sound effects for Quake, but I wasn't aware until today) that he actually voiced Quake guy.

"Huwah!"

On the first track of Downward Spiral (Mr. Self Destruct) theres some gun shot sounds and grunting noises from Reznor and it just sounds like someones playing Quake with better sounding gun fx.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Blackfyre posted:

On the first track of Downward Spiral (Mr. Self Destruct) theres some gun shot sounds and grunting noises from Reznor and it just sounds like someones playing Quake with better sounding gun fx.
That's a sample from the movie THX-1138.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

david_a posted:

That's a sample from the movie THX-1138.

I r dum

EDIT: One of the beatings in the film? Can't remember THX all that well now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ohh. I always figured those were sex noises.