Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Something I learned from following the development of the Godzilla reboot a few years back is that I'm not sure Gareth Edwards quite understands how movies work beyond making the camera show pretty pictures. Either that, or he's just parroting the inoffensive tripe that the studio asked him to say. Either way, not surprising he misses one of the most important aspects of Ripley's character, but then again, nothing in Edwards' filmography makes me sure he thinks of ANY characters as anything but a set of clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So the Gareth Edwards is a hack comments have started early.

Yes, the man trusted with a billion dollar franchise just makes pretty pictures.

Give me a loving break goon. Monsters and Godzilla was just pure fluke, right?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

Something I learned from following the development of the Godzilla reboot a few years back is that I'm not sure Gareth Edwards quite understands how movies work beyond making the camera show pretty pictures. Either that, or he's just parroting the inoffensive tripe that the studio asked him to say. Either way, not surprising he misses one of the most important aspects of Ripley's character, but then again, nothing in Edwards' filmography makes me sure he thinks of ANY characters as anything but a set of clothes.

so if rogue one is good, you'll keep beating that drum?

you already have people saying its as good as empire

oh btw nerdes notice nobody is saying its as good as "prequel"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rogue One is going to make mega bucks.

Mega Bison Bucks.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i literally cannot see him as anything other than gomez adams

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

Give me a loving break goon. Monsters and Godzilla was just pure fluke, right?

Monsters and Godzilla were both good at visual story telling but horribly anaemic in the acting and writing departments so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong if Rogue One manages to have an engaging cast and an intesting story, though.

(Also plz don't lump me in with prequel defenders okay thank you)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Most movies don't have any pretty pictures in them. Therefore, I appreciate Edwards' craft and his banal insight into writing/shooting his female protagonist as gender-neutral - which, of course, is how the characters of Star Beast were originally conceived.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It is possible for a director with an under-developed sense of the importance of gender in film to make a good movie. It doesn't mean they can't be criticized for it. Incredible, I know.

Just because D.W. Griffith was a horrible racist doesn't make his work anything less than an artistic marvel.

Phi230 posted:

oh btw nerdes notice nobody is saying its as good as "prequel"

After all of your worthless posts, I guess this was the one that finally convinced me to hate the prequels and start placing blind faith in Kevin Smith. Your skills in rhetoric are unparalleled.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

K. Waste posted:

Most movies don't have any pretty pictures in them. Therefore, I appreciate Edwards' craft and his banal insight into writing/shooting his female protagonist as gender-neutral - which, of course, is how the characters of Star Beast were originally conceived.

Alien, i.e. Star Beast did not place a great deal of emphasis on the genders of its characters, no, but the Ripley character mythology is heavily informed by Aliens, which placed femininity at the center of her character.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Alien, i.e. Star Beast did not place a great deal of emphasis on the genders of its characters, no, but the Ripley character mythology is heavily informed by Aliens, which placed femininity at the center of her character.

Wait, are you implying that Ripley's gender is not absolutely central to the original Alien?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

Wait, are you implying that Ripley's gender is not absolutely central to the original Alien?

No, but it is much more heavily emphasized in the sequel, so that, while I can see Edwards' argument in a bit more of a favorable light in a world where Aliens does not exist, the fact that it does makes it that much harder to defend.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

No, but it is much more heavily emphasized in the sequel, so that, while I can see Edwards' argument in a bit more of a favorable light in a world where Aliens does not exist, the fact that it does makes it that much harder to defend.

Well, he also explicitly refers to Aliens, which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume was a mental error (or a dictation error on the magazine's part). But I mean, if you think that Ripley could've been played by a man in Alien and that her gender was immaterial to its meaning then you have a lack a fundamental understanding of what the film is about. I don't think we disagree, I just find it shocking that he'd single out Alien of all films as an example of where he doesn't see gender. That'd be like singling out 12 Years a Slave as being a great movie because of how it gives a black actor a chance at a traditionally white role.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

Well, he also explicitly refers to Aliens, which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume was a mental error (or a dictation error on the magazine's part). But I mean, if you think that Ripley could've been played by a man in Alien and that her gender was immaterial to its meaning then you have a lack a fundamental understanding of what the film is about. I don't think we disagree, I just find it shocking that he'd single out Alien of all films as an example of where he doesn't see gender. That'd be like singling out 12 Years a Slave as being a great movie because of how it gives a black actor a chance at a traditionally white role.

Yeah. That's what makes me think he's probably just parroting some lines that somebody at the studio said would make for a good soundbyte, because if "Aliens" is your go-to example of a movie where "no part of [your] brain thinks of her gender", then I have to wonder how you ended up directing movies in the first place.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jewmanji posted:

It is possible for a director with an under-developed sense of the importance of gender in film to make a good movie. It doesn't mean they can't be criticized for it. Incredible, I know.

Edwards didn't say gender wasn't important, or that Ripley's gender wasn't/isn't important, or that Jyn's gender is unimportant. He even explicitly begins by talking about how the character is meant as a source of inspiration specifically for one of the co-writer's daughters.

HannibalBarca posted:

Okay, but Edwards isn't talking about "character mythology." He's talking about 'gender-neutrality' and the perceptions of young people (i.e., himself as a kid, the co-writer's daughters). It's as banal as him saying, "Ripley is a model for me of how one can write female characters in action movies," and nowhere does he say that gender is unimportant to this. Indeed, I think you'll find it's very hard to conceptualize gender neutrality without first conceptualizing gender.

Jewmanji posted:

But I mean, if you think that Ripley could've been played by a man in Alien and that her gender was immaterial to its meaning --

He didn't say that. Settle down, Jewmanji.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ripley was written as a man.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah. That's what makes me think he's probably just parroting some lines that somebody at the studio said would make for a good soundbyte, because if "Aliens" is your go-to example of a movie where "no part of [your] brain thinks of her gender", then I have to wonder how you ended up directing movies in the first place.

It'd maybe be more believable that he doesn't know much about Aliens if he hadn't made his name making monster movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Ripley was written as a man.

The movie that ended up being filmed is a different thing than the original script.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

Ripley's gender is not really central to the original Alien, no. It becomes important mostly at the ending, once she sheds her unisex jumpsuit.

It's also not hugely important in Aliens' superior theatrical cut - which is less conducive to being read as a depiction of 'powerful motherly instincts'. I've always found that interpretation questionable.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Edwards didn't say gender wasn't important, or that Ripley's gender wasn't/isn't important, or that Jyn's gender is unimportant. He even explicitly begins by talking about how the character is meant as a source of inspiration specifically for one of the co-writer's daughters.

Okay, but Edwards isn't talking about "character mythology." He's talking about 'gender-neutrality' and the perceptions of young people (i.e., himself as a kid, the co-writer's daughters). It's as banal as him saying, "Ripley is a model for me of how one can write female characters in action movies," and nowhere does he say that gender is unimportant to this. Indeed, I think you'll find it's very hard to conceptualize gender neutrality without first conceptualizing gender.

He didn't say that. Settle down, Jewmanji.

He said, "no part of my brain thinks of her gender". If no part of his brain thinks of her gender, than that is his way of saying gender is not important to him beyond token diversity. How is that different than someone saying "I don't see race"?

If no part of his brain thinks of Ellen Ripley as a woman, than she could just as easily have been portrayed by a man and it wouldn't affect the movie at all, other than, again, the tacit nod to inclusion. So like, when Elmer Ripley as played by a random male actor aborts the giant penis out of the ship, it signifies the exact same thing. That makes total sense.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're twisting his words and creating controversy where there isn't any.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

Just because D.W. Griffith was a horrible racist doesn't make his work anything less than an artistic marvel.

After all of your worthless posts, I guess this was the one that finally convinced me to hate the prequels and start placing blind faith in Kevin Smith. Your skills in rhetoric are unparalleled.

too easy jesus dude

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The pure partisanship on display is amusing. It's possible for the director to say a dumb thing and make a good movie. I'm not sure why it makes people so uncomfortable to simply say "yeah that was dumb, hopefully it's not reflected in the movie, which will end up being great", which is how I feel.

I also love all Star Wars movies (except VII) and found Lucas' comments last year about "white slavers" to be ghastly. I can hold both of these thoughts in my head simultaneously. I bet you can too if you would stop assuming a defensive posture against every perceived slight towards a movie that hasn't come out yet, but towards which you have a bizarre loyalty to already.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jewmanji posted:

He said, "no part of my brain thinks of her gender". If no part of his brain thinks of her gender, than that is his way of saying gender is not important to him beyond token diversity. How is that different than someone saying "I don't see race"?

Because gender and race are not identical cultural concepts. Edwards did not say "I don't see gender." He said Ripley is emblematic of a character who is 'gender neutral,' a model of a female character whose role in a film is signified as neither stereotypically masculine or feminine.

What Edwards is alluding to is the significance of gender as a cultural construct, particularly as it is signified and structured through cinema. He is not saying the perception of gender isn't important. He's saying that a feminine/masculine binary (which is conventionally upheld in most films, with particular reflection in production and costume design) is limiting in terms of how he thinks people come to identify with characters.

This has nothing to do with partisanship. You are rejecting Edwards' project of conceptualizing gender neutrality as 'tokenism,' even though it crucially taps into themes of the non-binary expression of gender.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jewmanji posted:

The pure partisanship on display is amusing. It's possible for the director to say a dumb thing and make a good movie. I'm not sure why it makes people so uncomfortable to simply say "yeah that was dumb, hopefully it's not reflected in the movie, which will end up being great", which is how I feel.

I also love all Star Wars movies (except VII) and found Lucas' comments last year about "white slavers" to be ghastly. I can hold both of these thoughts in my head simultaneously. I bet you can too if you would stop assuming a defensive posture against every perceived slight towards a movie that hasn't come out yet, but towards which you have a bizarre loyalty to already.

Lol you literally cite TFA is identical to ANH. Therefore you hate ANH. You don't like star wars.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Because gender and race are not identical cultural concepts. Edwards did not say "I don't see gender." He said Ripley is emblematic of a character who is 'gender neutral,' a model of a female character whose role in a film is signified as neither stereotypically masculine or feminine.

What Edwards is alluding to is the significance of gender as a cultural construct, particularly as it is signified and structured through cinema. He is not saying the perception of gender isn't important. He's saying that a feminine/masculine binary (which is conventionally upheld in most films, with particular reflection in production and costume design) is limiting in terms of how he thinks people come to identify with characters.

This has nothing to do with partisanship. You are rejecting Edwards' project of conceptualizing gender neutrality as 'tokenism,' even though it crucially taps into themes of the non-binary expression of gender.

I think you just have a more nuanced approach to gender than he does. I don't read any of what you just wrote in his comments. It's not a big deal.

Phi230 posted:

Lol you literally cite TFA is identical to ANH. Therefore you hate ANH. You don't like star wars.

I'm not sure what you're talking about at all. Go ahead and clarify if you'd like.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Phi230 posted:

you enjoy mario kart but don't like supra mayro kratt, therefore you hate mario kart - tezzor, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

Poor copies of a good work can't exist?

I don't personally think TFA is a poor copy of ANH, I just take issue with your "logic".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Monsters and Godzilla was just pure fluke, right?

More like pure poo poo

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

More like pure poo poo

That's deep.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss8BUq1doxM

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In the Spoiler-O-Rama thread, some dude in Europe attended a special fan screening and spoiled all the Vader scenes and the ending.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
At the end of Rogue One, the heroes successfully steal the plans and send them to Leia's ship.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

At the end of Rogue One, the heroes successfully steal the plans and send them to Leia's ship.

Shocking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just as all hope is lost Jyn hears the words of her father which give her the courage to press on, "Meesa Jarjar Binks" he whispers.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

ungulateman posted:

you enjoy mario kart but don't like supra mayro kratt, therefore you hate mario kart - tezzor, 2016

gently caress you, Supra Mayro Kratt is my favourite game

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zoran posted:

Actually the plans reveal that the Empire constructed two less powerful decoy Death Stars, with the real one set to he finished around the time Episode 8 takes place.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Darth Vader dies but is replaced by Felicity Jones so the resistance can live on.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gonz posted:

In the Spoiler-O-Rama thread, some dude in Europe attended a special fan screening and spoiled all the Vader scenes and the ending.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I don't want to know any more than this: oh my god good, or oh my god bad?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The MSJ posted:

Actually the plans reveal that the Empire constructed two less powerful decoy Death Stars, with the real one set to he finished around the time Episode 8 takes place.
The Rebels find a hologram of Starkiller Base, labelled "also a Death Star".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I don't want to know any more than this: oh my god good, or oh my god bad?

I read several spoilers (all the same stuff so I guess true?) and right now it seems really really good.

• Locked thread