Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I zerg rushed Atomos down before it even entered phase 2. Big hitters were Locke's SSB, Vaan's BSB, Tidus Chaincharge, and Zidane with an R2 Northern Cross. Eiko's BSB for the crit up, and Shout for the boost.

It would have been more laughable if I had the motes to dive Zell to 5* celerity, because then his BSB would have made an even bigger mockery of things.

Now, since I skipped Nightmare Necrophobe, I suppose I'll go tear my hair out over that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
I dollar pulled Thancred's Air Knives. More +wind equipment! More! :black101:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally beat the Northern Cross nightmare dungeon, didn't master it though because I didn't have enough hones and the fight went to the wire with a plain ol' physical attack landing the deathblow. First fight I've run out of R3 Curaja on, somehow.

Also jesus this game is stingy as hell as with ice crystals. (of course mastery is one of the things that gives you 2 of them, ugh). How do I have 16 physical crystals and 2 ice :psyduck: Sucks because this is one of the only 6-star abilities I'd actually like to create, but I have no idea how long it's going to take to get 4 more of 'em.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Holy poo poo Atomos is a loving joke. Just slap on Slow and hit him till he dies. With SG up I didn't even bother with keeping the gems alive, I just went full-out nuke mode, tanked the hits and killed it

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ETB posted:

Never not pull.

I have 110 Mythril, I'm trying to save for XIV. Please. :negative:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

I have 110 Mythril, I'm trying to save for XIV. Please. :negative:

I have 44 Mythril and am also trying to save for XIV.

Anyone who has not bottomed out their stash four or five times since OK's banners hit and we got a rush of good (and less good) lucky draws gets very little sympathy from me. :colbert:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

In my case I just brought along Edge for his Eblan Dual-Wield, which (unlike Tempo Flurry or other non-SB abilities) is guaranteed to inflict slow if the target's not immune. The only real issue I had was in keeping up SG, as otherwise I might get blasted when Atomos eventually munched on crystals and farted out a few AoEs.

Compared to the other weird gimmick bosses of the second Nightmare wave, I wonder why Atomos showed up here. You could easily swap him for the Tonberries and no one would notice anything to be out of place.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Queueing up AoE SBs just before Atomos summonef his first 3 gems sure made the final stretch a squeaker. Only 1 was felled by those two massive counter-attacks thankfully, and Slow/Dismissal bought the necessary time to win.

Now if only I could figure out a working setup for this VI CM. This one's been surprisingly tough.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

kalensc posted:

Queueing up AoE SBs just before Atomos summonef his first 3 gems sure made the final stretch a squeaker. Only 1 was felled by those two massive counter-attacks thankfully, and Slow/Dismissal bought the necessary time to win.

Now if only I could figure out a working setup for this VI CM. This one's been surprisingly tough.

I think Setzer is the only 5* Support in FF6 :shepface:

Yeah I gave up trying to CM it. A-team made it melt.

Also gently caress 180 difficulty Kefka, right at the end he hit me with 3 AoE attacks and killed me.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Adding Shadow with Swift Bolt helped me master the VI CM. I effectively treated it like Cazznaggo even though there wasn't a Tsunami.

Edit: ^^^ I had my dispeller and Magic breaker ready for Magic Infusion at about 50% health. Affliction Break also messes with it, apparently.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

1st AD posted:

I think Setzer is the only 5* Support in FF6 :shepface:

Mog can cover 5 star support duty with dances. He's actually sturdier than Setzer, I believe.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
After looking it up, Mog beats Setzer in every stat, kupo.

Despite being a healer, Mog even beats Setzer in ATK, although you'd need to Dive him to give Mog Dragoon 5 to actually use it. Setzer's access to Swords (& Thrown) compared to Mog's Lances (& Instruments) will at least put Setzer's ATK ahead in most realms.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

quote:

Legend Materia

Legend Materia is a unique Materia that each character can equip.
- The LMs are unique to the specific character, and other characters cannot equip them
- Legend Materia has various effects that can be useful in battle.
- Legend Materia can be equipped from the Party Setup Menu.
- There are 2 equipment slots for Legend Materias: Main and Sub
- A Legend Materia will have different effect when being set as a Main or Sub.

Legend Sphere

Legend Spheres are Spheres that are hidden within the memories of our Heroes.
- After the maintenance, a portion of characters will receive their Legend Spheres.
- Fulfilling certain conditions will unlock their Legend Spheres for use.
- Sphere Skills can be obtained from Legend Spheres, and they require unique 5* Motes to be unlocked.
- 5* Motes will be given out in subsequent events.
- Legend Sphere Skills can be stat bonuses, damage bonuses, new equippables, new resistances, etc.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

kalensc posted:

If you've got kefka levelled, memento mori with ashe bsb rw does the trick. I managed to do it with Terra and no faithga, it shits out about 24k a turn with ~400 mag (with a self heal!). Also equip KO resistance and lightning skills on everyone

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

<Legend Materia Stuff>

Worth noting -- the tutorial image for this implies that you need to fully complete a character's record dive to unlock their legend materia. At least, they show Tyro's and it's linked to his Sage Record Sphere.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Dove in and did a pull, 1/11 my eighth yoichi bow

E: oh wait it's Fran's imperil lightning, that's ok!

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Zurai posted:

Worth noting -- the tutorial image for this implies that you need to fully complete a character's record dive to unlock their legend materia. At least, they show Tyro's and it's linked to his Sage Record Sphere.

Then they better up the mote drops by a hell of a lot or else I will impotently shake my fist at them.

Is this intended for endgame players who are doing the hardest content or is it more of a general addition?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

Then they better up the mote drops by a hell of a lot or else I will impotently shake my fist at them.

Is this intended for endgame players who are doing the hardest content or is it more of a general addition?

Not sure yet. It's being added in an update on the 20th.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, it sounds like a huge burden on physical characters unless they drastically up mote drops, considering the huge Vitality mote load if you're diving more than one physical character. Especially those with Berserker spheres.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I'm really scatterbrained tonight. First I went into Ahriman without remembering to switch to some ranged weapons, and it took that fucker forever to come back. Good thing I have things like Ark Blast for ranged attacks, but the killing blow ended up being... Tyro's Celebration Grimoire.

Then I went straight into Brynhildr with the same team, remembered to equip Blizzaga Strike, but then completely forgot to change gear to 13 synergy. Whoops. Still ended up killing her with like 25 seconds left on the Doom timer though!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Nightmare Atomos being a chump, completely melted him without him doing much to me in return. Now to never actually make Dervish. :toot:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

How the gently caress does everyone 100 gem 5* all the time, my overall rate is like 4.5% and I do it on every banner :argh:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beasteh posted:

How the gently caress does everyone 100 gem 5* all the time, my overall rate is like 4.5% and I do it on every banner :argh:

They're stealin your luck, the drop rate is supposed to be 12.5%

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Pretty sure the 12.5% refers to the amount of Golden Shield (V) 3*s I get.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I did pull a crystal helm (VI) on the most recent 100 gem which is a pseudo 5* in my book

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Is any of this nightmare stuff doable for me?

I have a really solid set of SBs but my hones are mostly 3* garbage. If it's worth a punt I'll burn some stamina, but otherwise I figure I'm better off spending the energy on mining more mythril and stamina - 88 and counting!

...I really will have to stop and start doing dailies some time.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Wilekat posted:

I have a really solid set of SBs but my hones are mostly 3* garbage. If it's worth a punt I'll burn some stamina, but otherwise I figure I'm better off spending the energy on mining more mythril and stamina - 88 and counting!

The 20 & 30 stamina ones should be relatively easy, though there are exceptions. They're pretty doable as long as you have have the right skills to hit weaknesses, medal conditions, etc. They're about comparable to event +/++/+++ battles. Anything with an elemental weakness probably has a Burst soul break you could cheese it with, by using the proper roaming warrior, etc. Basically if you're doing difficulty 100~ content somewhere else, you can probably kill these things too.

The 40 & 50 stamina might be a bit hairy if you're still in the 3* skills range, though. They're going to start demanding better layers of mitigation (Shellga/Protectga, Breakdowns, Wall, etc) to survive.

The actual Nightmare bosses are going to be out of your reach in all likelyhood, because they generally require several hones from their themed skill class, and preferably 3-5 characters with 5* access to that skill.

But on the plus side, this is permanent content that reappears once a month or so. If you can't do it now, it'll always be waiting.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Wilekat posted:

Gain more stamina. Honestly, it's the best investment. You want at least 160 stamina - e.g. a good night's sleep.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Attestant posted:

The 20 & 30 stamina ones should be relatively easy, though there are exceptions. They're pretty doable as long as you have have the right skills to hit weaknesses, medal conditions, etc. They're about comparable to event +/++/+++ battles. Anything with an elemental weakness probably has a Burst soul break you could cheese it with, by using the proper roaming warrior, etc. Basically if you're doing difficulty 100~ content somewhere else, you can probably kill these things too.

The 40 & 50 stamina might be a bit hairy if you're still in the 3* skills range, though. They're going to start demanding better layers of mitigation (Shellga/Protectga, Breakdowns, Wall, etc) to survive.

The actual Nightmare bosses are going to be out of your reach in all likelyhood, because they generally require several hones from their themed skill class, and preferably 3-5 characters with 5* access to that skill.

But on the plus side, this is permanent content that reappears once a month or so. If you can't do it now, it'll always be waiting.

Yeah, I've been able to clear the +++ from the most recent events, but I'm drawing the line there - it's letting me stock up on MC2s to start targetting some of the better RMs (I've got Mako Might and Dr Mog's, waiting on Ace Striker dropping). Honewise, I've got a pair of R2 Lifesiphons and R1 ProShellga, but that's it other than the last few events' free skills (Gaia's Cross, Hydroburst, Chain Biora, Lightning Dive, Fires Within and Titan)

I guess I'l hold off for now. Repeating content is kind of a rarity it seems, so I'll focus my attention on the grind and the oneshot events for now.

Thundercracker posted:

Gain more stamina. Honestly, it's the best investment. You want at least 160 stamina - e.g. a good night's sleep.

I think playing the game in order to get to play more of the game keeps tripping me up. I'm looking forward to getting up past 90 so I can actually do a Sundaily++ in one sitting!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

I remember when I played this too much and we didn't have enough stamina for a good nights sleep. I'd wake up briefly to grind then go back to bed. Heh, wild times. :shepicide:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Atomos is honestly the easiest Nightmare by far. The only celling is a DPS check - you just have to burn down about 280k+ health in the time for a 50 SPD boss (who can be Slowed) to take nine turns.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
please don't sacrifice sleep for stamina management

what the hell guys

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I rather enjoy having a full 8.75 hours between stamina refills

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Sure, it's nice to waste any when you're above the mark

but good god, if you're under 160 stamina, just sleep

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Okay, even a month later with an AI thread in front of me, I have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing with Nightmare Necrophobe.

If I don't RW Wall, I can't keep up with healing. If I bring Carbuncle, same deal but with AoEs. No matter what I do, even with OK BSB + Shout, I can't keep up DPS because I'm too busy trying to keep the barriers from murdering someone via Doom. My only Support 5 medica is Tailwind, which means Shout has downtime even with Ace Striker + Lifesiphon, because so much attention has to be given to those loving barriers.

Maybe I need to find a way to shoehorn Aerith in with her BSB despite not getting synergy or having any good way to contribute past spamming command 2...

Then there's the problem that even if I RW Wall, it wears off halfway through Phase 2 and I'm just soaking damage.

EDIT: That's what it took, Aerith running Carbuncle/White Materia, giving the rest of the team the chance to get into a steady rhythm. It was kind of touch and go but by the time he switched to Phase 3, he only got one Nightmare Flare off before dying. Final loadout:

Shout/Tailwind, Vessel of Fate, Keeper's Tome, Sea Lord's Broadside, and White Materia for SBs.

This fight was garbage.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 13, 2016

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
It really sucks that Crushing Blow, which hits 4 times, only counts as 1 lightning attack against the mc3 fight shield.

Also, piercing attacks can suck every dick ever and I will never stop whining about them. :mad:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wilekat posted:

No don't stop clearing dungeons for dailies. You'll get more orbs from the higher end dungeons than you will from dailies anyway, to say nothing of the mythril and increasing stamina cap.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also, piercing attacks can suck every dick ever and I will never stop whining about them. :mad:

Stack more breaks.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Multi break and box step sarabande (and heroic harmony) were what pulled my rear end through the fire that was the third wave of the ult going CLASH CLASH CLASH

Mog owns

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CaptainPsyko posted:

Stack more breaks.

Yeah I know but still...

Any advice for the mc3 fight? I feel like I need to create and hone another Lightning Strike and/or Lightning spell to have enough attacks to keep knocking the shield down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Without knowing what you're bringing, advice is hard to give. What's your loadout?

• Locked thread