Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Keldroc posted:

That's just TF fan paranoia. It sets in every time we get a streak of good toys for more than a year. I feel it, too, but I'm hoping that's a false positive due to another movie line looming in the distance and Power of the Primes will keep the streak going.

Even though the movies are poo poo films for retards some of the toys are loving kick rear end to be fair. Anyone tries to take my RotF Bludgeon? IMMA CUT YOU. Possibly the same for DotM Shockwave. (I would merely be very upset if any of the Extinction Dinobots or the first movie Voyagers were taken from me.) Shocky and DotM Megs almost make up for DEEP WANG. Almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

I feel like the next line is going to be a horrendous stinker, though I can't pin down why. Just somehow whatever follows combiners and headmasters just won't work right.
Maybe he's more into shoujo

Maybe Masterforce is garbage and your cat has taste

I already said it's garbage. I'd just never watched all of it before so I am suffering. I made it through the Unicron trilogy, this is nothing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hey, the Unicron trilogy is 40% watchable by volume.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Captain Rufus posted:

Even though the movies are poo poo films for retards some of the toys are loving kick rear end to be fair. Anyone tries to take my RotF Bludgeon? IMMA CUT YOU. Possibly the same for DotM Shockwave. (I would merely be very upset if any of the Extinction Dinobots or the first movie Voyagers were taken from me.) Shocky and DotM Megs almost make up for DEEP WANG. Almost.

RotF was a great toyline, but it was a long time ago. The DotM line was 95% garbage and the AoE line wasn't any better. I got the Dinobots because I'm a Dinobot mark but I only really like one of them (Snarl). That TF5 Voyager Prime looks awful so at least the ol' wallet will get a rest next summer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Hey, the Unicron trilogy is 40% watchable by volume.

Eh.......

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Still watching Masterforce and realized one of my cats was missing. He's my most social and loving cat, if I'm sitting down he has to be in my lap. I found him curled up in a closet, picked him up and went back to the couch. He stayed there with me for about 10 minutes and then he got up and left. I found him back in the closet.

So I figure my cat doesn't like the sound of Japanese and is a huge racist.

He's not racist, he just doesn't have time for subtitles/can't read.

Spiderdrake posted:

Maybe he's more into shoujo

Maybe Masterforce is garbage and your cat has taste

Maybe this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

the guy from Semisonic posted:

Glad you like it! This was my first Secret Santa, so I'm glad it was stuff you like.

Yay new people doing a good job!

Makes up for you getting all the good stuff from the TRU on Veterans before I get there when I'm in town ;)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

That TF5 Voyager Prime looks awful so at least the ol' wallet will get a rest next summer.

Are you out of your goddamn mind? The thing looks like a FANTASTIC toy (of an ill-advised design).

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

The_Doctor posted:

Yay new people doing a good job!

Makes up for you getting all the good stuff from the TRU on Veterans before I get there when I'm in town ;)

Hell, I don't even get anything from there. I suspect insider connections going on at that location.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

the guy from Semisonic posted:

Hell, I don't even get anything from there. I suspect insider connections going on at that location.

I'll get the occasional goodie there. Best thing I got lately was the Miles Morales Marvel Legends figures a few months back, just sitting on a peg.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Keldroc posted:

On the flip side, I've been considering paring the collection down to just Masterpieces and G1 vintage. I really do like the Titans Return line, though, so this probably isn't the year I decide to do that.

Me too. I still have a ton of generations stuff, but I managed to cut down almost everything that isn't G1 \ G2 \ Beast Wars \ Car Robots \ Generations \ MP. I have a ton of Generations figures in boxes in the basement that I really don't need, I think.

Likewise, I think the Titans Return toys are pretty neat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a hundred transformers: $2500

a shelf picked up off the side of the road: priceless

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

a hundred transformers: $2500

a shelf picked up off the side of the road: priceless

I just moved again and haven't put up my detolfs lol

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Be thankful if you don't live in a seismic area, that shelf would terrify me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
stop moving!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I plan on it, it really sucks moving a bunch of toys and video games around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The handy thing about packing away transformers is that they are designed to fold up into a smaller form by design!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I only own a handful of movie toys but I think ROTF Mindwipe is top notch. I got him off a buddy earlier this year and he is like really good feeling and easy to transform. Especially compared to the ROTF Soundwave I bought cuz he looked kinda cool or the Evac I bought a friend because he's in the coast guard.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Be careful with Mindwipe's ankles!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What happens with Mindwipe's ankles? I remember reading something about it years ago. My Mindwipe and Strafe are fine however. A lot of people don't even notice he has an ankle tilt.

Captain Invictus posted:

The handy thing about packing away transformers is that they are designed to fold up into a smaller form by design!

With cars or trucks this is the case but things that turn into planes and such are often easier to store in bot mode.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

What happens with Mindwipe's ankles? I remember reading something about it years ago. My Mindwipe and Strafe are fine however. A lot of people don't even notice he has an ankle tilt.

The beige ankle spar can develop a crack where it attaches to the foot. Unsurprisingly, I think I posted about it in the old thread. I remember having an entire section of that loop bust off.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I was unaware of this. Thanks for the heads up!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My secret santa present is in the mail, it should get there just before Christmas assuming no gross inefficiencies in our national mail services

(if it's late I'm sorry duder)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you out of your goddamn mind? The thing looks like a FANTASTIC toy (of an ill-advised design).

No? It looks like a slightly improved version of the lovely Leader class from AoE that hides the shellforming better, which still puts it well below anything acceptable. The fact that it's based on the current psychotic Optimus is the nail in the coffin. I have no idea what you're even looking at.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The current psychotic Optimus owns.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not into ironically enjoying dogshit films, so I can't get with you on that one.

The new poster really drives home how far they're pushing the "knight" idea. Optimus doesn't even look like a Transformer anymore. He has pretty much no kibble on him. He's just a big humanoid robot built like an NFL player. It's basically Male Insecurity: The Poster. I hope they don't forget to put some running gag statutory rape jokes in this one.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

The new poster really drives home how far they're pushing the "knight" idea. Optimus doesn't even look like a Transformer anymore. He has pretty much no kibble on him. He's just a big humanoid robot built like an NFL player. It's basically Male Insecurity: The Poster. I hope they don't forget to put some running gag statutory rape jokes in this one.
Ha, I just saw the poster and came to post exactly this. He looks like Cleatus, the FOX NFL robot mascot. Jesus.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but there has never been a bayverse movie optimus, toy or otherwise, that interests me. Evasion came close, and I did eventually get a KO Nemesis evasion prime for :10bux: or something, but they all look like poo poo (to me, of course).

TheDK fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2016

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

The_Doctor posted:

I'll get the occasional goodie there. Best thing I got lately was the Miles Morales Marvel Legends figures a few months back, just sitting on a peg.

Oh, I just go for the TFs. I don't really collect much else, besides Comics and Star Trek. :v:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm willing to see how far this hosed up rabbithole goes, but I'm admittedly kind of weird. (a Goon.)

TheDK posted:

Ha, I just saw the poster and came to post exactly this. He looks like Cleatus, the FOX NFL robot mascot. Jesus.

Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but there has never been a bayverse movie optimus, toy or otherwise, that interests me. Evasion came close, and I did eventually get a KO Nemesis evasion prime for :10bux: or something, but they all look like poo poo (to me, of course).

Yeah. I really like the IDW stuff more than the movie stuff.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The movies are these weird fever dreams that I feel compelled to see when they come out because they're such an absurd and darkly twisted view of the Transformers things I grew up with. I mean, there are other versions of the property I didn't like or were just trash but nothing that seems to kind of poo poo on itself and the people who really love the movies at the same time.

I mean, I worry for all the little kids who blindly eat this poo poo up with no guidance from their likely just as oblivious parents. Optimus is a monstrous prick by the time you get to the last film in the series and there's really no apologizing for it unless you're only barely paying attention to what's happening -which may be intentional.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

I'm not into ironically enjoying dogshit films, so I can't get with you on that one.

I think you're reading way too much into this (I think it's mostly "lol armored knights and swords are cool*") but I agree 100% on the kibble thing. Having some vehicle parts on your TFs is a good thing, like drat it man slap some wheels or wings somewhere to remind you that this robot transforms into a vehicle. It gives the designs an unique silhouette. I happen to think that voyager looks pretty cool and the actual kibble is a part of it, as well as what seems like an amazing transformation. I actually think a lot of movie designs would be way cooler if they 1. didn't have those horrible faces, especially the deepticons, and 2. If they made the robot design at least plausible for something that is supposed to transform into a vehicle. Starting with the latest one (I think) they're just like big dudes in a suit like you mention.

That said I just care about figures, I don't think I've even seen the third and fourth movies save for some clips.

*well to be honest, they are

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The general rule with movie toys is the on-screen characters, where they have to work around the impossible Bay designs, suck, while the off-screen characters where they get to actually design the thing from scratch can be good. They still usually have ugly heads and weird skeleton limbs, but at least they can have innovative transformations and don't usually end up being shellformers.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I plan on it, it really sucks moving a bunch of toys and video games around.
Try throwing multiple 40 gallon+ terrariums into the mix. drat reptiles.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

That said I just care about figures, I don't think I've even seen the third and fourth movies save for some clips.

The third one has some decent stretches to accompany Deep Wang; it's better than the second movie and there are a lot of explosions and Chicago is in it... for a while. (When a movie has a large city that's isn't stupid New York or Los Angeles, it makes me happy. Plus I've lived in Chicago most of my life.) There are a lot of good parts in that movie equaled by the kind of dumb.

In Age Of Extinction, all the Transformers you care about are murdered offscreen and then there's statutory rape evasion on a technicality, Marky Mark assures us constantly that he's a scientist, and The Largest City (it's in China, shockingly) is mentioned several thousand times while Megatron is remade out of Lego (living on THROUGH THIS ARM or something) and Evil Red Bumblebee is an actual character because gently caress using an Interesting established character when another mute fella will do. Real Bumblebee is STILL a mute Rodimus stand-in. There is a fat ballerina (Hound,) a terrible Japanese honoraburu samurai stereotype (Drift,) and an rear end in a top hat loosely based on Mirage (Crosshairs.) And a guy with a gun for a face.

Also there's Dinobots for a little bit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How is Crosshairs in any way like Mirage?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
one odd thing is that the original "bayformer" design was to make the robots look like they really transformed from cars, they are made of car parts. they are alien car robots.
they got away from the alien part - making them into metal humans, like sentinal prime has facial hair millions of years before the first human and aoe's cast is a bunch of robots each sporting their own human culture stuff - and now they're getting further away from the part where they look like they came from an alt mode

I kind of think that ROTF had the best designs. Some of the Decepticons were so loving bizarre and off the wall and impressive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

How is Crosshairs in any way like Mirage?

He's an rear end in a top hat (sniper? I don't remember) that kind of hates being an Autobot, but when pushed will do the right thing.

Loosely based on Mirage.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
A lot happened in Lost Light #1.

The crew get stuck in the functionist council universe :chanpop:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Megs may as well just link up to another black hole and make the biggest explosion of all time, just to be sure. Kinda funny how the gang has its own Doctor Aphra now, and how quickly they wrapped up the cliffhanger from the last proper issue. And more Magnus piss-taking is always welcome.

As for the Prime book, a decent enough opener I guess, and I dug the old school look and colouring style, wasn't expecting it at all. Can't really buy the notion of Outback ever being a hardass cop tho.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Thing about the new movie that's driving me mad is that logo, some goofy looking overlap Gill Sans bullshit that simply does not fit with any kind of previous TF design ethos.

Which is probably some kind of ironic troll by Bay too. Or completely poo poo design, you decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I liked... Optimus Prime more than Lost Light. And I think I'm a little wavy on both issues. They just feel like weaker outputs than I was hoping for.