Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

You didn't have to...you could always just grind KDY :suicide:

(and KDY was an improvement to the grinding experience if you wanted to DPS)

Man KDY didn't come out til 2014. PvP and group finder REGULAR Flashpoints were how I leveled all of my Republic toons, along with my Sniper and Sorc. The thought process was "I'll level them through PvP and Flashpoints, so if I sell the account people can plow through just the class stories since they'll be level 50 already!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Adaptabullshit posted:

The writer of the Imperial Agent story wrote 2 posts about creating the story and the inspirations behind it: part 1 and part 2

This was cool, thanks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm finally picking up this game again and playing through the KOTFE chapters I neglected. I'm playing on my merc, and I'm up to chapter 13 and I'm feeling like maybe I should drop it and go through it as my jugg instead, because it feels like this story was clearly written with force users in mind. There were a bunch of points in chapter 12 where it was literally like "uhhhh valkorian granted you just enough force power to move the plot forward, which would be impossible if you weren't at least a little force sensitive" and it was kind of jarring.

Does that trend continue for non-force users through the rest of the expansion(s) chapters?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm finally picking up this game again and playing through the KOTFE chapters I neglected. I'm playing on my merc, and I'm up to chapter 13 and I'm feeling like maybe I should drop it and go through it as my jugg instead, because it feels like this story was clearly written with force users in mind. There were a bunch of points in chapter 12 where it was literally like "uhhhh valkorian granted you just enough force power to move the plot forward, which would be impossible if you weren't at least a little force sensitive" and it was kind of jarring.

Does that trend continue for non-force users through the rest of the expansion(s) chapters?

Yep! It sure does. Everything is as if I should be the Jedi Knight or Sith Guy. Especially The entire chapter where Vitiate who we're not calling that anymore sends you to complete your force training, uh, but not force training, and now you meet both Force users' leaders, and you build a lightsaber, except uh, it's a gun, because you can't use a lightsaber but this is totally... totally a lightsaber thing for force people. You literally picked up a lightsaber crystal along the way.

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 13, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dely Apple posted:

Yep! It sure does. Everything is as if I should be the Jedi Knight or Sith Guy. Especially The entire chapter where Vitiate who we're not calling that anymore sends you to complete your force training, uh, but not force training, and now you meet both Force users' leaders, and you build a lightsaber, except uh, it's a gun, because you can't use a lightsaber but this is totally... totally a lightsaber thing for force people. You literally picked up a lightsaber crystal along the way.

You're playing KOTOR3 and all the KOTOR games starred a Jedi so you're a secret Jedi, QED.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's the only thing that feels weird about the expansion to me. It's definitely geared towards Force users, from a thematic perspective.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Oh my god, Corellia, why, why, why do I have to keep going through multiple loading screens to report in at the "tears of taris."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

That's the only thing that feels weird about the expansion to me. It's definitely geared towards Force users, from a thematic perspective.

It's geared towards people who play Jedi/Sith and really loved the scene where Luke goes into the evil tree on Dagobah but don't remember anything else about The Force from the movies (also read some EU books from the 80s).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Strudel Man posted:

Hm. Can't say I'm looking forward to posting about the agent storyline ending with a whimper, but I guess it's fate.
And here we are. After all the mention of "six endings" I figured I'd have choices that were a little more...momentous.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Since a lot of my characters are Sith Purebloods, the story does kinda work if you look at it as they're force sensitive, but just force sensitive enough for Korriban/Tython.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ainsley McTree posted:

You didn't have to...you could always just grind KDY :suicide:

(and KDY was an improvement to the grinding experience if you wanted to DPS)

KDY? Bloody whippersnappers don't know how good you've got it! Back in my day it was Colicoid Wargames or nothing!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dely Apple posted:

I haven't gone through that chapter with a non-Force character yet. Because I know they're going to have me build a special rifle even though I stab everybody and should be making a special knife. Although the Arcann fight seems like it would be really lovely for an Operative. :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

prefect posted:

I haven't gone through that chapter with a non-Force character yet. Because I know they're going to have me build a special rifle even though I stab everybody and should be making a special knife. Although the Arcann fight seems like it would be really lovely for an Operative. :(

Any scenario that the IA doesn't resolve by sending in their companion as a distraction while they stab the target in the back/blow their head off from 40 meters ruins my immersion.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dely Apple posted:

It's a "Lightsaber" in the same way people in Romeo + Juliet used "Dagger" pistols and "Longsword" shotguns.

But how would you frame Kotfe and Kotet as being the leader of the Alliance, fighting Valkorian and his Childern, while also not being a Jedi or Sith, and it making sense?

Maybe give the non-force classes a Force skill related to their class and hadwave it by saying Valkorian's soul jumping into to you unlocked your latent Force talents?

And then give them a choice in Chapter 12 where they can cross over and permenantly change their class to one of the Jedi/Sith ones and then build your lightsaber, or refuse and instead use the lightsaber components to build a special blaster powered by a lightsaber crystal.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nuts. I liked that I could be a rough and tumble gunslinger capable of shooting down space wizards without veering into the typical "you were a force sensitive the whole time, here is your crystal you are a wizard now too" trope.

Writing is hard I guess

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

If you're not a force user your character does not become force sensitive. Valkorion uses the force through you, it's not actually your character using the force. And let's not pretend the force makes any sense anyways considering it's canon that Darth Vader's mom was impregnated by it.

But yeah Chapter 12 is definitely weirder for the non-force classes. Especially when you don't even use the super special weapon you make because it clashes with your outfit. Although I actually really like KOTFE/KOTET story as Agent despite that, since it does continue to deal with themes of being controlled and losing your mind and poo poo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, force sensitive was a lazy choice of words but yeah, I basically just mean "doing force sensitive things even though you aren't because the plot wasn't really written with your character in mind"

It's ok, juggs are fun to play too. Even if I don't like the new ravage animation :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe give the non-force classes a Force skill related to their class and hadwave it by saying Valkorian's soul jumping into to you unlocked your latent Force talents?

This sentence makes sense in the game but is ridiculous if you've just watched the films.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 13, 2016

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

They say the dark side corrupts, but drat

Alas, it was short-lived. From the patch notes:

"Bipedal mounts are no longer causing female characters’ bodies to distort."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Turbl posted:

it's canon that Darth Vader's mom was impregnated by it.

And if you believed that story you'll believe anything.

This isn't confirmed as literal fact at all in the films. But it's important for the ideas that it creates in both the audience and characters (Anakin as Christ-figure, if The Force can create life it can save Padme etc.)

She got knocked up by a space trucker in port for the weekend. Shmi gets real uncomfortable at the question of Anakin's parentage, and then super defensive that a Jedi might question it, so the "truth" may well be something less PG-13 than a virgin birth.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The phantom menace was a rich and complex film

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

And if you believed that story you'll believe anything.

This isn't confirmed as literal fact at all in the films. But it's important for the ideas that it creates in both the audience and characters (Anakin as Christ-figure, if The Force can create life it can save Padme etc.)

She got knocked up by a space trucker in port for the weekend. Shmi gets real uncomfortable at the question of Anakin's parentage, and then super defensive that a Jedi might question it, so the "truth" may well be something less PG-13 than a virgin birth.

I'm on board with this description.

Can you make midichlorians go away, too?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I'm on board with this description.

Can you make midichlorians go away, too?

As an institution the Jedi get almost everything wrong for the entirety of the prequel trilogy. If they think personal midichlorian power levels matter, why would you?

Anakin was a self-fulfilling prophecy of the Jedi (with a little help from good old Sheev). His actual power level didn't really matter much.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 13, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

The phantom menace was a rich and complex film

It's only looks that way when compared to the "Lucas is a hack" narrative.

Like most films it has some nuance and intricacy to it here and there. Unlike most films it has a bitching pod race.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll give you that, it is the best pod racing movie I've ever seen

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
We're up!

Go get your festive tauntaun!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dulfy's Life Day guide

So, apparently finding a snow-covered parcel now grants 20 CXP as well. The bad news - can't target NPCs with the snowball anymore, so you'll be spending some time in fleet throwing things at people. From what I understand, the Cannon from last year DOES work against NPCs, but I would expect that to be changed soon.

Reading between the lines, since finding parcels grants CXP, those of you that have in the past used macros to find parcels may want to not do that this year, as you're a lot more likely to get noticed. :)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Episode 1 is solely redeemed because it gave us "Episode 1: Racer," one of the best N64 games.

Remake that in SWTOR and you'll have a lifetime sub. Just make sure it's not like the KOTOR drag racing mini game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Huh I was unsubbed for a good 6 months yet still got this. Proud? Not sure..

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Managed to log on for a bit after the patch. This is how much I PvPed: Logged onto my PT. Saw I was Valor rank 90 and despite having played Shadow of Revan for about 4 months, never completed the campaign story.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Anyone seen what the festive weapon tuning looks like yet?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You can preview it direct from the cartel market, looks like a blinking, spark effect at the base of a lightsaber from what I can tell.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Huh I was unsubbed for a good 6 months yet still got this. Proud? Not sure..

*reaches for calculator, gets sad, stops*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Still less than I would have spent on buying new games and ignoring them. :)

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Ainsley McTree posted:

:gowron:

Is there anything not unlocked by cartel coins in your account, man!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Still less than I would have spent on buying new games and ignoring them. :)

True! And it's not like I can judge anyway; it hasn't been five years, but I've spent a non-trivial amount of subscription money on this stupid game too

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Since this is my first time doing any of the lifeday stuff, are the parcel tokens something I can sit on if I don't get enough to buy a specific thing until next lifeday?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since this is my first time doing any of the lifeday stuff, are the parcel tokens something I can sit on if I don't get enough to buy a specific thing until next lifeday?

They should, it's been the same the last few years with new stuff added each year. There used to be a bunch in the guild bank...but of course, they were stolen with the rest of the stuff.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

True! And it's not like I can judge anyway; it hasn't been five years, but I've spent a non-trivial amount of subscription money on this stupid game too

There are times when I'm subscribed but not even playing, because: "I might want to log on and just PvP for a couple of hours" but I never do.

Since that they've removed that silly cap on WZs for non-subscribers, I guess I can just be f2p casual scum forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zakmonster posted:

There are times when I'm subscribed but not even playing, because: "I might want to log on and just PvP for a couple of hours" but I never do.

Since that they've removed that silly cap on WZs for non-subscribers, I guess I can just be f2p casual scum forever.

The flipside, of course, being that now there's no benefit to doing Warzones if you're F2P.

• Locked thread