Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Illbleed is one of the best surreal video games ever made. It's a real shame what happened to the creator of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's everyone's favorite game they played this year that didn't come out this year? Mine is Downwell

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nuclear throne obvs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite game they played this year that didn't come out this year? Mine is Downwell

Probably Pillars of Eternity for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

Bloodborne

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Another health meter thing

How do you feel about the world turning black and white as you get shot

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Hyrule Warriors, tho idk if that counts since the new dlc characters/weapons are from this year

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Macaluso posted:

i played sonic for the first time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Bloodborne

Ditto.

To the point where I'm considering buying it a second time digitally so I don't have to jeep switching discs. I feel like I always want Bloodborne on the back burner.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm playing Trails in the Sky FC and I'm at Bose after meeting with the General and I'm not feeling it at all :(.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

How do you feel about the world turning black and white as you get shot

No, sir, I don't like it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Macaluso posted:

I played most of the Ys games and Ys Origin was my favorite

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Glaucoma vision is the worst way to do a health bar in a videogame

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Bit late on the Bloodtrain since I waited to get a PS4 until the prices fell off a but but Bloodborne really does have that Souls Magic. It feels like the best one so far honestly and I've really fallen right into the game

Personal GOTY and I've only been playing it for like a week

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Illbleed is probably the best game ever made that also happens to be almost unplayably bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm still playing the beginning of FFXV, in real life.

Get car back with it's main problem fixed, tire goes flat on the first drive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

Illbleed is probably the best game ever made that also happens to be almost unplayably bad

Deadly Premonition

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess if we're counting games that we played this year and also played last year, then Bloodborne is probably my favorite, but I get a feeling that's going to be true for a good while to come, so I'll stick with Pillars of Eternity, which I only really played in earnest this year.

CJacobs posted:

Agreed. But also there are plenty of games I like that do it (Uncharted, for example) so it's clearly not a dealbreaker.

I'm pretty sure most of my issue with regenerating health in shooters is that it means I don't get a health meter. :colbert: Like, Destiny has regenerating health and it didn't bother me one bit because there's a health meter. (Obviously this is an oversimplification and sometimes auto-regenerating health is the right choice for the feeling a game should have, etc., etc., game design isn't black and white.)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Deadly Premonition

I've still gotta play Deadly Premonition one of these days

If I wait long enough someone might mod out most of the awful combat and leave the game as it was meant to be

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

la mulana

la mulana 2 when god damnIT

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I want a game where you just can't heal, and you have to play as a progression different of characters if you want to play as non-crippled people.

Well, Bob got shot in the leg, so he's in the hospital, David, you're taking over his case... okay David jumped off the roof of a building and died, Sarah, you're up.

Okay Sarah got hit by a truck. This turning into the most expensive case in the history if the department. I've called in some favors, and the Dallas office is sending over some of their agents to give us a hand.

(Sometime later) The DOD has taken over this matter. You will be working with a platoon of Marines to resolve this matter.

The final level can take place in a hospital, with every character you've gotten wounded there as a patient, and every character you've killed in the morgue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Macaluso posted:

It's between Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V. I think MGSV edges out the competition slightly because I really enjoy the highly involved stealth approach. So like, while Witcher 3 has a more interesting world to explore, which is a big plus for me, MGSV is still ultimately more fun to play, because Witcher's actual "gameplay", that is, the fights, is still kind of rear end after all these years, where as MGSV's sneaking and gunning are both real good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Macaluso posted:

Mother 3, I think?

I can't remember if I played through the Mass Effect trilogy in late 2015 or early 2016 but if the latter then I change my answer to that.

Unless games you've played before is allowed in which case Super Metroid, as it is every year.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

boy are my arms tired posted:

la mulana

la mulana 2 when god damnIT

You should play Maze of Galious while you wait, it's the game La Mulana was modeled after. Some really hard puzzles like were in the freeware La Mulana though. People remade it for pc so it's free, Naramura even contributed a tileset to it http://www.braingames.getput.com/mog/

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

lets hang out posted:

You should play Maze of Galious while you wait, it's the game La Mulana was modeled after. Some really hard puzzles like were in the freeware La Mulana though. People remade it for pc so it's free, Naramura even contributed a tileset to it http://www.braingames.getput.com/mog/

this is awesome, thank you!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I guess I should add dead space to the list of games to play then.

raditts posted:

A Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead kind of take on the concept, that explores characters on the periphery of the Jedi poo poo, could work. There's plenty of interesting things you could explore without lightsabers and telekinesis, hell aside from the climactic scenes even most of the OT movies are more blasters and spaceships than they are Jedi stuff.

Sure, but I'd rather you just make a new IP at that stage.

I know why that doesn't happen as much, since they typically invest a lot of money in them, but it's still true.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQpNMHo2LzU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Snak posted:

I want a game where you just can't heal, and you have to play as a progression different of characters if you want to play as non-crippled people.

Well, Bob got shot in the leg, so he's in the hospital, David, you're taking over his case... okay David jumped off the roof of a building and died, Sarah, you're up.

Okay Sarah got hit by a truck. This turning into the most expensive case in the history if the department. I've called in some favors, and the Dallas office is sending over some of their agents to give us a hand.

(Sometime later) The DOD has taken over this matter. You will be working with a platoon of Marines to resolve this matter.

The final level can take place in a hospital, with every character you've gotten wounded there as a patient, and every character you've killed in the morgue.

that's maniac mansion my dog

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's not maniac mansion before anyone yells at me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Another health meter thing I like (I have these, apparently?): when they get longer as your health increases. Not always practical, but I like it when it is. What I don't like are health meters like Dragon Age: Inquisition where there are marks on them that signify certain numerical increments and as your health increases the distance between the marks gets smaller and there are more marks. It's so much less readable!

Yeah, in-universe justified HUDs are generally pretty cool when they're done well. A lot of first-person games do it--that's pretty easy, just say it's projected on your helmet's visor, Halo or Metroid Prime-style--but pulling it off in a third-person game that doesn't also have a "no health meter, regenerating health" thing going on is pretty impressive.

In Mega Man X when your health bar gets longer than the weapon meter if you collect every upgrade :discourse:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in project snowblind after you beat the game there's a memorial statue with the name of every npc soldier who died

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

Rogue Legacy is kinda like that, I guess?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a zombie game not too long ago (ZombiU?) where if you got killed, you respawned as a new character and could go find your old character who was now a zombie and fight them for your stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It's a tough call between Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Kirby's Dream Course and Mega Man 3. And Mega Man X. I had never played any of these series before this year and I played almost every entry in each (petered off on Kirby at superstar though because it's a very hard series to marathon)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cavelcade posted:

Sure, but I'd rather you just make a new IP at that stage.

I know why that doesn't happen as much, since they typically invest a lot of money in them, but it's still true.

At the same time, though, what is gained by filing the serial numbers off? You want to tell a story in a generic "star wars-like" setting. To do this, you gotta either be like "yeah, it's just like star wars *wink* now back to the story" or "no, its totally not star wars, here's some worldbuilding to establish that".

Does doing either of those things improve the story?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Macaluso posted:

Probably Spec Ops: The Line. Liked it enough to play through it twice to get all the trophies.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think if you drift too far away from the Vader/Skywalker Jedi thread, in the films at least, you risk just making like a generic movie about Space Pirates. Huge amount of Star Wars, as a setting, is wrapped up in this idea that a terrible and irresistible destiny between the Jedi and Sith basically has the entire Galaxy in its grip. If you take away the lightsabers and mysticism, you're just kinda left with a completely generic space opera setting, which like, that's fine, but it's a waste to attach the Star Wars brand to it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

There was a zombie game not too long ago (ZombiU?) where if you got killed, you respawned as a new character and could go find your old character who was now a zombie and fight them for your stuff.

gently caress, this reminds me that I got Zombiu as a Christmas present last year and have yet to take it out of the shrink wrapping

I'm a bad gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

It's a tough call between Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Kirby's Dream Course and Mega Man 3. And Mega Man X. I had never played any of these series before this year and I played almost every entry in each (petered off on Kirby at superstar though because it's a very hard series to marathon)

Am i reading right? You played through all the Kirby games but stopped at the best one??

• Locked thread