Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meh this is a worldwide non time shifted stream and they picked the best time for Asia/Europe and the US that they could.

Just go to sleep/work and watch it later it's not gonna be the end of the world.

East Coast got screwed. But yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that was to you calling someone else a loving moron

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think brick and mortar stores are going to have midnight opening preorders honestly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

I don't think brick and mortar stores are going to have midnight opening preorders honestly.

Will stores even be sure how many they're getting at this point?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I can't even get a drat NES mini, how am I gonna get a Switch?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If I have a month+ of lead time I am more than capable of ensuring that a preorder gets activated on the site at a specific time and any traffic adjustments that need to get made get made.

Also by January I wouldn't be shocked if they had a fairly accurate picture of how many consoles they are gonna receive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I can't even get a drat NES mini, how am I gonna get a Switch?

Preorder?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
be sure to preorder your nintendo swatch!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

Will stores even be sure how many they're getting at this point?

Probably to some extent. GameStop higher ups already have summer knowledge of the Switch and probably have had meetings with Nintendo in terms of marketing strategy. Nintendo have probably promised the company X amount at a minimum and to keep them notified of presales and they can adjust shipments as necessary.

Probably similar with Amazon, TRU, Best Buy, and Target.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dexo posted:

Meh this is a worldwide non time shifted stream and they picked the best time for Asia/Europe and the US that they could.

Just go to sleep/work and watch it later it's not gonna be the end of the world.

East Coast got screwed. But yeah.

I mean, not really? 11pm is a weird time but it's not really inconvenient except for edge cases that have to be up at 3 am. Unless the direct goes on like 3 hours, which it won't, it'll be like 40 minutes and half of that will be like "here's this lego star wars game coming to the Switch" or something.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Probably to some extent. GameStop higher ups already have summer knowledge of the Switch and probably have had meetings with Nintendo in terms of marketing strategy. Nintendo have probably promised the company X amount at a minimum and to keep them notified of presales and they can adjust shipments as necessary.

Probably similar with Amazon, TRU, Best Buy, and Target.

Yeah, but the individual stores? Doe the manager of the Gamestop in south Gainesville know for sure how many Switches they'll have at launch two months out?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, but the individual stores? Doe the manager of the Gamestop in south Gainesville know for sure how many Switches they'll have at launch two months out?

Very shortly most likely. The regional manager will get a call saying "you region gets this many units", and they'll decide how much each branch gets and call the branch managers. They'll probably do training on it the week before the announcement, which will lead to some leaks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zolthorg posted:

Are you incredulous at my specific choice of the word "right after" or "immediately"?

I go to work 1 hour after that stream >starts<, let alone the fact that it'll probably be an hour long, if the preorders go up like an hour or two after that, or four hours after that, pretty much any of those times i'm hosed

If it was in the morning like absolutely every other stream they do, i'd be able to just stay awake after my shift and get an order in.

Its a common practice to do it in the middle of the day as such as well so online retailer sites don't go down by doing it after prime time / 5 pm est or pst

Lol so you're upset that this one time it will be at a time that's inconvenient for you instead of the time it's inconvenient to everyone with a 9-5?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Go to work an hour early. Watch the stream in the parking lot. Walk into work.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

zolthorg posted:

Are you incredulous at my specific choice of the word "right after" or "immediately"?

I go to work 1 hour after that stream >starts<, let alone the fact that it'll probably be an hour long, if the preorders go up like an hour or two after that, or four hours after that, pretty much any of those times i'm hosed

If it was in the morning like absolutely every other stream they do, i'd be able to just stay awake after my shift and get an order in.

Its a common practice to do it in the middle of the day as such as well so online retailer sites don't go down by doing it after prime time / 5 pm est or pst

It's Nintendo getting back at you for complaining about Splatfest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Another idea could be to act like a grown-up and watch the stream's rerecord after work because liveblogging about it is shallow and meaningless and whether you get the information from it then vs. 8 hours from then won't change the Switch not being in your hands for another 3 months at the very least.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
"Ok guys, we've gotta get this Switch announcement juuuuuuuuust right"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Eat Switch

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

John Romero is gonna make you his Switch?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The first/1995's E3

lmbo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I will preorder a Switch from Amazon Dot Com at Midnight EST and have it arrive on launch day just like I did with the PS4

Or wander into a Walmart a month after launch and go "Yeah, I guess" like I did with the Wii U

Either way I'll probably still be playing 2017 GOTY Persona 5, so, :toot:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Will there even be the option to pre-order over Amazon or are Nintendo and Amazon still pissy with each other?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Louisgod posted:

Will there even be the option to pre-order over Amazon or are Nintendo and Amazon still pissy with each other?

They've seemingly made up? Pretty sure Amazon carries 3DSes now.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

They've seemingly made up? Pretty sure Amazon carries 3DSes now.

Amazon's always listed them but the orders are never fulfilled by Amazon proper, it's always through 3rd parties. Looks like that's still the case so don't expect the Switch to go up on Amazon for pre-order.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Louisgod posted:

Amazon's always listed them but the orders are never fulfilled by Amazon proper, it's always through 3rd parties. Looks like that's still the case so don't expect the Switch to go up on Amazon for pre-order.

Amazon just sold an exclusive n3ds xl color. Sold and fufilled by Amazon. They've made up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're just sold out now because of the holidays and the only prices listed now are gouging motherfuckers.

Not just the limited Black Friday ones, the regular ones as well.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tomie knows me posted:

Amazon just sold an exclusive n3ds xl color. Sold and fufilled by Amazon. They've made up.

Link? I'm curious because all 3DS listings on there now defer to third parties, WiiU included..

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Link? I'm curious because all 3DS listings on there now defer to third parties, WiiU included..

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Special-Green/dp/B01LYUA6OS/

You'll notice if you look at other sites the 3DS is sold out right now in most places, online at least. I checked default red/black on Target/Best Buy/Walmart and they're either sold out or absurdly priced. I imagine other places are like that as well.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Phantasium posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Special-Green/dp/B01LYUA6OS/

You'll notice if you look at other sites the 3DS is sold out right now in most places, online at least. I checked default red/black on Target/Best Buy/Walmart and they're either sold out or absurdly priced. I imagine other places are like that as well.

That 3DS, just like all the others, are SOLD by Nintendo and not fulfilled by Amazon. Not sure what's not getting through here..

There's this white Wii U that's fulfilled by Amazon but not sold by Nintendo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Louisgod posted:

That 3DS, just like all the others, are SOLD by Nintendo and not fulfilled by Amazon. Not sure what's not getting through here..

Yes, right now. It was an Amazon advertised exclusive sold on Amazon's front page by Amazon for the standard $199. Keyword was, is the point your missing. Nintendo's distribution isn't just hosed on the limited Black Friday 3DS or NES Classic at the moment.

Yeah, it's filled with third parties and scalpers now, Nintendo is loving up.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/808656511450906624

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Louisgod posted:

Because it's out of stock. Here's the one I bought.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the 3DS dead too? I looked up a 3DSXL to see what it would cost if I wanted one. Like people said here, it's sold out everywhere. Is that just because people bought them all up for Christmas and there will be more after the holidays? I guess that sort of makes sense. Most people who would want one would have one by now so they probably just trickle them out for any stragglers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Is the 3DS dead too? I looked up a 3DSXL to see what it would cost if I wanted one. Like people said here, it's sold out everywhere. Is that just because people bought them all up for Christmas and there will be more after the holidays? I guess that sort of makes sense. Most people who would want one would have one by now so they probably just trickle them out for any stragglers.

I think I heard somewhere that Nintendo is just dealing with some sort of supply problem at the moment?

I don't know but you'd think it'd be disastrous to just have no hardware available anywhere. I mean presumably the Wii U at least will not be in stores forever but the time to take it off the market is not months before the replacement is out, and the 3DS still has software incoming.

I'd blame Pokemon and the holiday season personally.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

That rear end in a top hat Amazon scalper posted:

NEW, no box but includes [a couple of my old games I don't want anymore]... $550

What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They're assholes, turns out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sirbeefalot posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people.

People think new means "I opened it and used it for a few minutes, but there's no scratches or anything." Back when the Oculus Rift came out, a guy was trying to sell his as new on ebay for $3000. He had pictures on his ad where he had opened the box and taken everything out.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I don't know but you'd think it'd be disastrous to just have no hardware available anywhere.

I mean, "No hardware available anywhere" means that retailers are selling out faster than they can restock, so not really.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I mean, "No hardware available anywhere" means that retailers are selling out faster than they can restock, so not really.

I mean in the sense that they could easily sell more.

Besides selling out of ten copies of something isn't exactly a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tomie knows me posted:

Because it's out of stock. Here's the one I bought.

Nice, that's hopeful for the Switch then, but I still wouldn't bank on Amazon taking pre-orders. I'll be super surprised if they do.

• Locked thread