Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

Well considering we've had 2.0 for a year and we're on 2.2 now that would mean walking around in approximately 1-2 years.

Seems plausible if they import the Planet Coaster tech. The next question nobody is asking is: then what do we do apart from stare at our space toilets?

If we can interact with crew then we make highly rendered but low writing quality machinima and/or inappropriate toilet dancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Groggy nard posted:

If we can interact with crew then we make highly rendered but low writing quality machinima and/or inappropriate toilet dancing.

I can't wait to grind out a new bunch of engineers to upgrade critical systems like the ship wide plumbing. Also can't wait for different types of carpet textures to be in the Frontier store for :10bux:
In 2018 I mean.

No other human will ever see your spaceship carpet textures.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

DancingShade posted:

And if another CMDR approches you can always combat log.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

DancingShade posted:

I can't wait to grind out a new bunch of engineers to upgrade critical systems like the ship wide plumbing. Also can't wait for different types of carpet textures to be in the Frontier store for :10bux:
In 2018 I mean.

or they could go the eve online setup where a monocle was $100 real money.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

TheresaJayne posted:

or they could go the eve online setup where a monocle was $100 real money.
I unironically think all games should do this.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Traveled 536 lightyears and all I got was financial security.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I can't stress enough that if you are in the bubble you need to go beat this money piñata for all its worth no matter what ship you are in. Just bring some mines or a missile rack even if you are in a sidewinder.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

I unironically think all games should do this.

It makes sense if you think about it. Designer jeans in the real world are easily over $100 so really, you're getting a bargain!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

It makes sense if you think about it. Designer jeans in the real world are easily over $100 so really, you're getting a bargain!

Just wait until you have to buy the in-game equivalent of a space smartphone on a plan with real world money.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

orcane posted:

Well I'm not buying designer jeans or e-monocles but some berks are and it's good for the economy. :v:

Edit: If Frontier had put digital Sandro hats in as a kickstarter tier instead of secret design forum access the game would probably be in much better shape now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Parallelwoody posted:

I can't stress enough that if you are in the bubble you need to go beat this money piñata for all its worth no matter what ship you are in. Just bring some mines or a missile rack even if you are in a sidewinder.

I'd argue that you at least want some medium hardpoints to make life easy on yourself, but yes. Anything goes.

Pilchenstein posted:

Edit: If Frontier had put digital Sandro hats in as a kickstarter tier instead of secret design forum access the game would probably be in much better shape now.

This really needs to be the next set of body kits, exclusively for imperial ships of course.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
So I'm doing something wrong, because I can stack these kill missions like woah but after killing one or two ships usually the 6k or so bounty I've flagged is enough to get me shot down by every federation ship in the galaxy. Am I supposed to be trying to fly somewhere to clear the bounty, or are there mission targets that won't flag me as an rear end in a top hat who needs to die or... ??? I'm actually down about 100k from where I started, which is pretty embarrassing.

Also, found out today there actually is a limit on the number of kill missions I can stack, so need to keep that in mind.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Parallelwoody posted:

Why? Exploiting the same gaming loophole repetitively just for some money sounds very dull to me.

I'll just continue assisting my faction in its expansion to neighbouring systems and just pick up upgrades as and when I have the funds I think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mu77ley posted:

Why? Exploiting the same gaming loophole repetitively just for some money sounds very dull to me.

I'll just continue assisting my faction in its expansion to neighbouring systems and just pick up upgrades as and when I have the funds I think.

If you don't mind taking literal months to earn enough for the bigger ships that way, that's totally fine and up to you of course.

An average player who wants to play with big toys before they run out of patience/interesting new things is probably better off farming a lot of money in 17 Draconis right now, then go do fun things once the civil war ends or skimmer massacres are nerfed.

Can't stress enough, this isn't just "some money", it's an absolute truckload of money.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

orcane posted:

If you don't mind taking literal months to earn enough for the bigger ships that way, that's totally fine and up to you of course.

An average player who wants to play with big toys before they run out of patience/interesting new things is probably better off farming a lot of money in 17 Draconis right now, then go do fun things once the civil war ends or skimmer massacres are nerfed.

Can't stress enough, this isn't just "some money", it's an absolute truckload of money.

I can't stress it enough either, and it's cheap to do anyway (Viper + missile racks). I did it for the first time last night and wasn't even trying that hard and went from 28m to 137m in maybe 1.5 hrs? By the second run I had the mechanics down and it went much faster. I think the thing that takes the most time is relogging to refresh the mission board.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

Yeah, sometimes even I am tempted by that much money, considering it took me nearly 2 years of playing to get enough money for my Imperial Cutter. Then I remember I'm literal days of real time playtime away from everything, and the temptation vanishes! :v:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sure if you don't want money for the big toys and enjoy what you're doing now then by all means, ignore it. It just seems like there is a trend of balancing everything higher end towards those with a billion plus in the bank and this is a good way to not get left behind when there are no longer any options for quick cash. And just to be clear, I went from about 200 mil to a billion and change in a day, that's the level of cash we are talking about.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

So I just want to confirm, you guys are making your space bucks on or around Faraday Keep, getting your missions from Paradiso Outpost?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
sounds correct

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

orcane posted:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah you will make a shitzillion dollars if you spend a day doing this.

I think I made a billion over 8 hours?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I must be getting really unlucky with the mission board because that shitbag Marco Rhodes ain't giving up that hella money.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Shlapintogan posted:

I must be getting really unlucky with the mission board because that shitbag Marco Rhodes ain't giving up that hella money.
It scales with not only your reputation but your combat rank, I believe.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

That explains why I'm only getting offered 50k-200k a mission then. Sure that'll change soon as I keep shooting things.

Is there some sort of trick to locking on to skimmers, or am I just supposed to shoot blindly at them? Haven't been able to hit one successfully yet.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Shoot a dumbfire missile right in the middle of them. It should wipe them out pretty handily.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

sethimothy posted:

http://yourock.fyi/image/firsttodiscover.jpg

(timg bbcode doesn't like this image and it's a fullsized screenshot so I'm not just gonna post it so raw link it is!)

Such a small thing, but I'll be honest, finding something in this universe is something I've wanted to do since I first picked up the game and the fact I pretty much tripped, fell, and landed on it (especially in the middle of a place it looked like someone had otherwise picked clean) is a big deal for me. So thanks for encouraging me to come out this way. :D

Gratz on the find!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

Shoot a dumbfire missile right in the middle of them. It should wipe them out pretty handily.
Based on how I have Seeker Missile Racks equipped, it looks like a google search for "Where to buy dumbfire missiles near 17 Draconis" will be in my near future.

Also just had my first death to another CMDR, but sadly I didn't get to see who it was. Someone in a Corvette. Not even salty, it's exciting to actually run into people in this game. Or their lasers as the case may be.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Well I'm not buying designer jeans or e-monocles but some berks are and it's good for the economy. :v:

Money making twist: All characters (mission givers, pilots and later even your avatar) in the game start out with Sandro hats. For only 5 quids you can have them removed.

sethimothy posted:

Based on how I have Seeker Missile Racks equipped, it looks like a google search for "Where to buy dumbfire missiles near 17 Draconis" will be in my near future.

If it helps you: I made the same mistake. After upgrading my Seeker Missiles to lvl 3 and carrying them 400ly to 17 Draconis I realized they were uttery worthless for skimmer hunting.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Pilchenstein posted:

Oh, cool. Good to see I'm getting shafted because I spent most of my time trading. At least being allied with Jet Bridge is getting the occasional bone thrown my way.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

Oh, cool. Good to see I'm getting shafted because I spent most of my time trading. At least being allied with Jet Bridge is getting the occasional bone thrown my way.

Yeah, between that and having the wrong type of missiles I'm basically searching sites for individual ships that are a faction I have a mission for and wanted so I can clear my log. On the bright side, this will only help my combat rank. On the downside, it's far from quick.

If you're the type of person who doesn't mind fleeting up, add me: CMDR Sethimothy. Or if anyone wants to let me leech off of them so I'll stop posting in this thread every three or four posts (I should probably stop that anyways though.)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
This is a decent Reddit post on it but I'll write up a bit more detail, at least how I am doing it.

1. Dock at Paradiso Outpost as described on Reddit. I brought a Viper Mk IV with me (already had one) but you can buy one there. You can't buy missile launchers there, though, so you need to bring those with you or do module transfer. Note: you need dumbfire launchers. The Viper can fit 2x Class 2 launchers. Each launcher holds 60 missiles, which has been far more than enough for me so far. Other fittings on the Viper don't really matter, I have a chaff launcher just in case but other than that you can roll stock as far as I can tell.

2. At Paradiso you'll take massacre missions from Jet Bridge Inc. Switch modes (solo -> group -> open) to stack up to 20. The key here is that when you kill 1 ship, it will count for all your missions. You'll have a variety of counts - kill 4/8/12/20/etc ships (I've seen up to 72) and once you kill one group of skimmers (6) you'll complete that 4 mission, you'll be 6/8 on the 8 mission, and so on. The missions don't take you anywhere specific, you just need to kill ships from New 17 Draconis Alliance. Fortunately, the other settlement in system (Faraday Keep) belongs to that faction. That's why killing their skimmers counts, and the missions can't send you anywhere else because Paradiso and Faraday are the only settlements/stations in the system.

3. Once you get to Faraday, approach it from above with your hardpoints out. The way I do it is, come straight down until the skimmers pop, which seems to happen around 250m. There will be a puff of dust and 6 skimmers will appear. If you fire your missile volley (just one volley, of 2 missiles) just as the dust puffs, aiming right at the center of the camp, you can catch them all in one volley. If you're off to the side or you wait until they start flying around, you may miss 1 or 2. You have plenty of missiles though so just finish them off.

4. There will be a ship at the camp. It varies but I've seen the following: Eagle, Cobra, Vulture, FAS, Python and even a Corvette once. It doesn't really matter though, because you're going to combat log. What I do is, as soon as the skimmers blow up, I reverse my throttle, give it just a little bit (like 20-30) which flies me straight back up. I then hit the menu and wait for the 15 second timer to count down then log out. This usually puts me at around 300-400m above the surface when I come back. The ship may start shooting at you, but I've never lost more than a ring of shields (with 4 pips in sys). Nothing can kill you fast enough so don't worry about getting shot. Just make sure you are still floating, don't go out of control and hit the ground or anything. Almost happened to me before I figured this part out.

5. When you log back in, you'll be right where you left off, around 300m or so above the camp. Fly back down to 250m, more skimmers will pop, kill them, repeat step 4.

6. When you've finished a mission, the timer will disappear from the entry in the Transactions tab on the left side. That's a quick way to see if you're done or not. When you are done, you simply need to self destruct. That will let you rebuy at Paradiso (my rebuy was like 189k which is insignificant). Then you turn your missions in, and start all over.

A few more notes. At first if you're just friendly with Jet Bridge you'll get missions in the hundreds of thousands of credits. However it won't take long before you're allied (I think I did it in one session, with about 10 missions turned in) and then you'll start getting bigger ones. I think the biggest I've seen so far was 7m for killing 72 ships. Most are 2-3m or so. If you care about Fed rank you're getting that at the same time which is nice.

That's how I'm doing this, but if anyone has any improvements I'd love to hear them. I feel like it's pretty close to as fast as it can be done. The main thing that sucks is refreshing the missions so you can stack.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

----------------8<---------------------

hannibal posted:

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5hugpc/psa_make_hundreds_of_millions_at_17_draconis/]:words:

You can also just go to the CZ and do it the normal way. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

There isn't even remote parity between RES ratting and 17 Drac.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
In case anyone has missed it, they're doing a rare skin for three quid every day between now and the 24th - today's is the wireframe python. :swoon:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Frontier is bringing back some rare skins as an advent-calendar-thing. First one is the Wireframe Python

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

don't worry you have until March 1 to buy them :downs:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Have the servers exploded under the weight of all this money people are throwing around? :v:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DancingShade posted:

The next question nobody is asking is: then what do we do apart from stare at our space toilets?

Seriouspost I just wanna stand in my cargo bay, look around at all my cargo, and say "Woo boy, that's some mighty fine cargo."

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Five bucks to buy a custom paint job for space ships that won't even be seen unless you're outfitting your ship, brilliant.

(Says the guy with a gold paintjob on his Mark III and who had a paintjob for his Adder and who bought a paint job for the DBX he doesn't even have yet.)

So despite completely botching how I've supposed to be making money by the billions, stacking missions in 17 Draconis has netted me a lot more money than I had, which is nice. I'm not going to rush out and get a new ship yet, but I am going to find me a class A FDL for this Mark III. Is there a tool or a website you all use that can tell you roughly who is selling what close to an area so you can say "Oh hey, I need to go 5 hops over this way?" Or is it pretty much just kind of a guess based off of who owns what system and what they might be selling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If you guys need something to spend all that money on, the newest meta per the beta patch would be a fixed weapon FDL. Good hunting!

• Locked thread