Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Not yet, he's still getting the backer PDFs sorted out (there were a chunk that didn't get imported for some reason).

And yeah - that's why I backed it in the first place. Last Call is one of my favorite books ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mythic Battles: Pantheon just announced the print-and-play version in their updates. It doesn't look like it is backer only, so have at it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BinaryDoubts posted:

So I just looked up Alas, Vegas after hearing about it in the thread and it sounds like it's based on Tim Powers' Last Call, which is Extremely My poo poo. Is the game out for purchase, or just to backers?

Unknown Armies is pretty much Tim Powers: The RPG. The third edition kickstarted not long ago and will be out for general release soon.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Alas Vegas is trippy and as Tim Powers as hell. I will never be running or playing it so I read through the entire book (a big no no if you ever want to use it for a series of game sessions and it is VERY up front about that fact). It's loving brilliant and also so not my idea of a good time; but if you like storygames, holy poo poo is it your bag. I only backed it because I believe in good independent games and want to support their creators.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A kickstarter of a second sourcebook for Spellbound Kingdoms will be up soon!

http://www.spellboundkingdoms.com/index.html

:dance:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

A kickstarter of a second sourcebook for Spellbound Kingdoms will be up soon!

http://www.spellboundkingdoms.com/index.html

:dance:

Rad, I didn't even know there was a first sourcebook.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

Rad, I didn't even know there was a first sourcebook.

I guess the first thing is like.... a quarter-sourcebook/free-to-download combat primer that's functionally a revised version of the core combat chapter. I'd still count it since it's 43 pages long.

Either way I'm glad the game where true love makes you immune to death is finally getting a bit more love itself!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alas Vegas is trippy and as Tim Powers as hell. I will never be running or playing it so I read through the entire book (a big no no if you ever want to use it for a series of game sessions and it is VERY up front about that fact). It's loving brilliant and also so not my idea of a good time; but if you like storygames, holy poo poo is it your bag. I only backed it because I believe in good independent games and want to support their creators.

Holy poo poo, game did not disappoint.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pyrolocutus posted:

Wyrd released a new video for their upcoming kickstarter for their army-scale game, The Other Side. This one covers the allegiances more and shows us renders, allegiance special rules, and some model cards: https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2016/12/5/monday-preview-tos-allegiances

KS goes live around the 14th.

Let's spice this up.

Hey? Do you like Fishmen? I like fishmen. I like them a lot. :krakken:

Wyrd's new game The Other Side is an army scale wargame using only cards (no dice!) like their other game systems. Units use movement bases, come preassembled, and have a cool take on morale systems. Instead of events in a game causing units to lose morale or break, there is only "Glory" where when certain conditions specific to the faction are met, they can flip their unit card allowing for new abilities or improved stats.

If you're unfamiliar with the setting or want to see what models will be coming in the kickstarter on 12/14, check out the video below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vSqhocRM4Y

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Peas and Rice posted:

Holy poo poo, game did not disappoint.

I said it was brilliant. If I was more into storygames I would be grabbing four people right loving now and make them play it with me. Hell, I'll even be the Dealer for the whole loving campaign.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just hope that Wyrd isn't doing a "Back on day 1 to get exclusive minis" thing. I'm going on a cruise and won't have access to internet until a few days into the campaign. I'm not a fan of the Gibbering Hoards, but drat if I'm not interested in the other factions.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randalor posted:

I just hope that Wyrd isn't doing a "Back on day 1 to get exclusive minis" thing. I'm going on a cruise and won't have access to internet until a few days into the campaign. I'm not a fan of the Gibbering Hoards, but drat if I'm not interested in the other factions.

That hasn't really been there thing. The offer alternate KS exclusive sculpts for Malifaux models but they're available for the full campaign in certain tiers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That hasn't really been there thing. The offer alternate KS exclusive sculpts for Malifaux models but they're available for the full campaign in certain tiers.

They had a LE sculpt or an extra adventure for early backers of Through the Breach, but I think they also extended the window for that to people who backed in the first 7 days. They mention Early Backer rewards on the page for Through the Breach, but I'm too lazy to go through the updates to see what the offer was.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randalor posted:

They had a LE sculpt or an extra adventure for early backers of Through the Breach, but I think they also extended the window for that to people who backed in the first 7 days. They mention Early Backer rewards on the page for Through the Breach, but I'm too lazy to go through the updates to see what the offer was.

Oh yeah, I see that now. Sorry for getting that wrong. On the plus side they put their LE sculpts for sale 2-3 times per year if you like the look of them. Apparently the Miss Terious I bought on Black Friday was the reward for pledging in the first week of Through the Breach.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The Hannah has never been on sale, which is a shame.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I said it was brilliant. If I was more into storygames I would be grabbing four people right loving now and make them play it with me. Hell, I'll even be the Dealer for the whole loving campaign.

I play in a game that meets every 3 months or so, and we've been running a CoC Horror on the Orient Express game. The GM is a former video producer and always goes balls to the wall on theatrical effects - music, lights, sets. There's always some part of the game that takes place in another room that he's rigged up (for example, to be a WW1 U-Boat with real leaking pipes everywhere).

I'm gonna talk to him about renting a place for a weekend and running with that group, because that would be totally baller.

Ideal: getting a suite in Vegas for a weekend and actually running it there, over 2 days, with breaks for food and gambling in between. With a cocktail waitress to bring us drinks.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Just burned through the main sessions of Alas Vegas tonight and, wow, yes. It's very, very good. I might just talk a group into running through four sessions and just Dealing it all myself. Really impressive stuff and well worth the wait. I can see how churning through it all amidst the rest of life had to have been extremely difficult for him. Nice to have my cynicism straight rebuffed for a change.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, I've not had the chance to read it yet...but if Alas, Vegas is as good as everyone seems to be saying it is, I legit owe Mr. Wallis an apology.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've read Alas Vegas through carefully now and I'm really stoked to run this. I'm wary of overhyping poo poo I like, and there's a good number of things in the game that ring my personal bell (Vegas, tarot, magical realism, Tim Powers' Last Call, Hunter S Thompson, swanky lounge music). Even separating that from the rest of the game, the story is great and the structure of the narrative is goddamned near perfect.

I wish the Kickstarter didn't happen like it did and he was finished with the game before he ran it, but the end product far exceeded my expectations of what I'd get when I backed it. And that's tough because as a creative, I know what it's like to go for months at a stretch and not work on a project for all kinds of reasons - but that's also why I've learned never to give deadlines I can't make, or to try to sell stories or games before they're finished.

All that aside, I cannot loving wait to run this game, and I really hope my gaming group goes for the "let's get a suite in real Las Vegas for a weekend of gaming" route. Even if I never run it and just read it a few times, I feel like I got way more than my money's worth in fun and inspiration.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Peas and Rice posted:

I've read Alas Vegas through carefully now and I'm really stoked to run this. I'm wary of overhyping poo poo I like, and there's a good number of things in the game that ring my personal bell (Vegas, tarot, magical realism, Tim Powers' Last Call, Hunter S Thompson, swanky lounge music). Even separating that from the rest of the game, the story is great and the structure of the narrative is goddamned near perfect.

I wish the Kickstarter didn't happen like it did and he was finished with the game before he ran it, but the end product far exceeded my expectations of what I'd get when I backed it. And that's tough because as a creative, I know what it's like to go for months at a stretch and not work on a project for all kinds of reasons - but that's also why I've learned never to give deadlines I can't make, or to try to sell stories or games before they're finished.

All that aside, I cannot loving wait to run this game, and I really hope my gaming group goes for the "let's get a suite in real Las Vegas for a weekend of gaming" route. Even if I never run it and just read it a few times, I feel like I got way more than my money's worth in fun and inspiration.

I've read through the flashback and conflict resolution rules and the first act, and it was certainly pretty promising. Have you had a look through the other three acts, then? If so, how much flex would you say there is in the narrative? Is it pretty railroady, or is there some opportunity for it to twist based on the character's actions? I'm a little worried from what I've read so far that it's mostly about soaking in the ambience of the place and the story rather than being the protagonist of a plot.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

I've read through the flashback and conflict resolution rules and the first act, and it was certainly pretty promising. Have you had a look through the other three acts, then? If so, how much flex would you say there is in the narrative? Is it pretty railroady, or is there some opportunity for it to twist based on the character's actions? I'm a little worried from what I've read so far that it's mostly about soaking in the ambience of the place and the story rather than being the protagonist of a plot.

I'd say acts 1 and 4 are the most railroady, while 2 and 3 are way more theme park. The way I'd run this (knowing my group, who are a bunch of pulp-action murderhobos, and knowing how I like to tell a story) would be to do act 1 as kind of the "intro level" where they learn the game and the system (which is kind of what it's set up like), then open up the world a little bit in act 2 and 3 to let them off their leashes. Wallis even mentions this at one point, that you can extend act 2 to 2 (or more I suppose) sessions depending on how the group responds and does things. In theory you could run parts of act 2 indefinitely if you wanted to, but I like the idea of keeping the narrative going because it's so tightly written.

Edit: I'm going to plot out how I'd run this in the next few weeks so I can report back then if you'd like. /edit

That being said, this is definitely a game/scenario with a fairly fixed plot, and it won't be like, say, Masks of Nyarlathotep or game of Dungeon World. But there's definitely some room for going off the tracks as long as the major events happen and the players don't get bored.

I will say this: the first major spoiler/reveal happens about 1/3 of the way into Act 2, so if you don't want to know, stop reading with Act 1.

Although the clues are already there in Act 1.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Fair enough! Is the rotating GM thing important to the game? From act 1 it seemed mainly used to set up some sleight of hand around player expectations and ensure plot details aren't spoiled before their time.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What was the issue with the delivery of Alas Vegas?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cat Face Joe posted:

What was the issue with the delivery of Alas Vegas?

It missed its projected release date over and over and over again, with a never ending parade of various excuses from the author. It looked well on its way to becoming a sister project to Far West, but unlike that project, Wallis was apparently working on it the whole time.

Edit: Wallis also picked up a couple other projects to work in the meantime, leading some to think he was unfairly neglecting the thing he had gotten KS funds for.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

Fair enough! Is the rotating GM thing important to the game? From act 1 it seemed mainly used to set up some sleight of hand around player expectations and ensure plot details aren't spoiled before their time.

That's it from what I can tell. I can see the rotating GM mechanic being super fun with an experienced group who all buy in (and who can all run a game worth a drat) but neither of my current groups are like that, so I'd just run it myself for all 4 sessions.

I'm also pretty good at not inadvertently giving away information to nosy players.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd say acts 1 and 4 are the most railroady, while 2 and 3 are way more theme park. The way I'd run this (knowing my group, who are a bunch of pulp-action murderhobos, and knowing how I like to tell a story) would be to do act 1 as kind of the "intro level" where they learn the game and the system (which is kind of what it's set up like), then open up the world a little bit in act 2 and 3 to let them off their leashes. Wallis even mentions this at one point, that you can extend act 2 to 2 (or more I suppose) sessions depending on how the group responds and does things. In theory you could run parts of act 2 indefinitely if you wanted to, but I like the idea of keeping the narrative going because it's so tightly written.

Edit: I'm going to plot out how I'd run this in the next few weeks so I can report back then if you'd like. /edit

That being said, this is definitely a game/scenario with a fairly fixed plot, and it won't be like, say, Masks of Nyarlathotep or game of Dungeon World. But there's definitely some room for going off the tracks as long as the major events happen and the players don't get bored.

I will say this: the first major spoiler/reveal happens about 1/3 of the way into Act 2, so if you don't want to know, stop reading with Act 1.

Although the clues are already there in Act 1.

I do NOT generally like storygames and I love this one. Probably because it's written in a far more structured manner. The Fugue system with its Flashbacks to gain abilities is neatly done too.

Also the rotating GM is definitely set up to screw with player expectations.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 8, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
quote!=edit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man I wanna play this now.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I do NOT generally like storygames and I love this one. Probably because it's written in a far more structured manner. The Fugue system with its Flashbacks to gain abilities is neatly done too.

Also the rotating GM is definitely set up to screw with player expectations.

This is actually a great point - I was focusing on the narrative as it's laid out in the book, but a MAJOR part of play is the Flashbacks.

Super minor spoilers for game structure so I'm going to black it out just in case:

The flashbacks build a second narrative that feeds into the "main arc," and is completely open and different every time you play the game because it's created by the Dealer and the players as they go, often as a result of the methods by which the players tackle various challenges. So in that case, it definitely removes some of the railroading and allows for more freedom and flexibility than I thought at first glance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I backed Hillfolk because I knew that if that went well FS2 would get made. I can not stand Hillfolk and if it wasn't for Feng Shui 2 getting made I would have considered it a waste of money. Alss Vegas I backed because of Wallis's earlier work and I am not disappointed with the result.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, thanks! I couldn't back Hillfolk at the time, but I think it's probably my favorite thing Laws has written.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I really really do not enjoy the main concepts behind Hillfolk. I like procedural scenes which the Dramasystem is the antithesis of so I am not the audience and that's fine. I am not the center of the universe, and everything doesn't have to be for me. If you and your group are enjoying it, then great, I'm glad I could be of help.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
FWIW, I wrote a complimentary comment on the KS comments for Alas Vegas and James was nice enough to write back to me privately and to let me know that I was essentially the first positive feedback he'd gotten from a reader he didn't know since delivering the PDFs. I think people are largely still a little stunned to finally have it (and it's a LOT to read and take in; I'm certainly not done yet).

All that said, if you like it, drop him a line in the KS comments or on the DriveThruRPG page once it's up for the public. I think he'd really appreciate it, given that this was a passion project for him and he was certainly beating himself up quite a bit publicly when missing his self-imposed deadlines.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So is it possible for a non-backer to pick up Alas Vegas now? I don't know yet if I'd be interested but dang is it perfect for a friend of mine.

Having a hard time finding anything other than the Pelgrane Press and Kickstarter pages from three years ago. Looks like the release was... complicated.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So is it possible for a non-backer to pick up Alas Vegas now? I don't know yet if I'd be interested but dang is it perfect for a friend of mine.

Having a hard time finding anything other than the Pelgrane Press and Kickstarter pages from three years ago. Looks like the release was... complicated.

Not yet. I'll make sure to post in this thread when it is available though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not yet. I'll make sure to post in this thread when it is available though.

Cool, thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

FWIW, I wrote a complimentary comment on the KS comments for Alas Vegas and James was nice enough to write back to me privately and to let me know that I was essentially the first positive feedback he'd gotten from a reader he didn't know since delivering the PDFs. I think people are largely still a little stunned to finally have it (and it's a LOT to read and take in; I'm certainly not done yet).
It's probably also a case of people just stopped caring about it since it took forever, so they don't bother to actually read the PDF.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's probably also a case of people just stopped caring about it since it took forever, so they don't bother to actually read the PDF.

Sure. I totally get the fatigue playing a part. I'm just hopeful that over the next week or two, people crack it open and realize some hard work went into this.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

New Other Side kickstarter video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LnVQzyBmM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Harlem Unbound, the Cthulhu mythos in the Harlem Renaissance, seems cool. Mentioning a video game stretch goal immediately makes me wary, though, even if it's kind of jokey. Still, there are good, reliable people involved, so backed for now.