Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Vintimus Prime posted:

Just saw on Apples website the AirPods are finally available for purchase.

They're just wireless earpods, right? What is even the loving point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Dogen posted:

That they are wireless?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dogen posted:

~*~bravery~*~

Also got fed up with the android I had gotten for work and flat out bought an SE yesterday. Much better experience but going between it and my personal phone which is a 7plus sure is a thing! 😂

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ugh we got totally hosed on the west coast, they went on sale at like 6am. Mid January ship date, hooray

edit: in terms of why you might want the Airpods, to answer that one dude's question:

1) You have an Apple Watch, so you can easily control the drat things. If no Apple Watch you have to use Siri to change tracks/change the fuckin volume lol (or I guess you could take your phone out but doesn't that defeat the point)
2) You like the fit of Earpods
3) You want ear buds without a tight seal, so you can hear stuff like your dumbass coworkers asking you idiotic questions
4) They have Siri which is kind of cool

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 13, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They also have accelerometers which if you like tracking steps I guess that's cool.

Putting heart rate monitoring into earbuds is the new hot thing though, so maybe Apple will get that into rev B in a year or two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe Rev B will be a new design so they are actually comfortable to use. That would be a nice revision.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Taima posted:

or I guess you could take your phone out but doesn't that defeat the point)

While this is completely separate from how I feel about AirPods, I don't think it defeats the point. I don't mind changing the volume on my phone typically, I think the point is that they're wireless so you don't have to worry about the cord catching on things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe Rev B will be a new design so they are actually comfortable to use. That would be a nice revision.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple doesn't believe in comfortable earbuds, it's all about DESIGN LANGUAGE. You want everyone around you to know you're using Apple products? Apple wants everyone to know too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Apple headphones feel v good to me :ohdear:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've never had a problem with the EarPods.

edit: And MacOS automatically capitalized that properly.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

illcendiary posted:

While this is completely separate from how I feel about AirPods, I don't think it defeats the point. I don't mind changing the volume on my phone typically, I think the point is that they're wireless so you don't have to worry about the cord catching on things.

Ok man, if you want to pay $160 and then have to take your phone out of your pocket to do basic stuff like skip to the next/previous track and volume, then good for you.

I don't think most people want to do that. In fact I think hardly anyone wants to do that. That's why wired headphones come with that functionality on the cord these days. To get that functionality back, you need an Apple Watch.

Endless Mike posted:

I find them to be comfortable

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
There are other brands of bluetooth earphones/earbuds with varying designs.

What do Android people even do? I have never bought one (just had one for work at one point) and I don't remember if it even came with earphones. If people are so picky about it why stick to just what apple provides?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm waiting for Beats X because Earpods sound bad and don't stay in my ears.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't, I got like 8 pairs of Apple headphones of varying generations still in their original folded and taped form as provided by Apple rolling around in a drawer.

Both my wife and I instantly toss em aside.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Weedle posted:

I'm waiting for Beats X because Earpods sound bad and don't stay in my ears.

Why not the PowerBeats 3

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
lol the backbeat fits are totally amazing and feel like living in the future I'm telling ya try them

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Why not the PowerBeats 3

I don't like the ear hooks and I want something that charges over Lightning.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EarPods are the best "free" headphones ever bundled in with a smartphone, but if they don't fit your ears, that's probably why they sound bad -- there needs to be a proper seal in order to sound as they're supposed to, otherwise you tend to get tinny, hollow sound. I use a stupid expensive home headphone setup, and I don't mind EarPods at all while on the go.

That said, $159 premium for the same audio quality, just to get rid of the wire? Get the gently caress out of here. They don't sound that good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not $159 "just" to get rid of a wire. Yes they're still overpriced but so is everything with an Apple logo on it. By all accounts Apple did do a really good job with the underlying tech.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I tried to call in and ask what stores will be carrying them next week according to the link below and that was just an exercise in futility.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13935538/apple-airpods-wireless-iphone-earbuds-on-sale

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stupid iOS question before I murder someone and their iPhone. On iOS 10+, in Messages, is there a way to forward a message to an email? First I had to do some fancy dance with disabling and re-enabling iMessage to get the "More" option to show up when long-pressing a message. Now, when I go to enter the contact to forward to, even if I put in an email address it goes straight back to the user's phone via Messages.

Why and how can I make it stop, so I can forward it to his email? :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would just copy the message, start a new email, and paste it. But that's just me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Messages isn't an email client

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

It's not $159 "just" to get rid of a wire.

Agreed. People don't understand yet what airpods deliver. The airpods don't block out ambient noise, so you can easily have them on for the whole workday. You get full access to Siri (which is super convenient in terms of setting reminders and is analogous to having an Echo next to you at all times that directly interfaces with your phone, think about that for a second) and never have to worry about them falling out. They stick in your ear like crazy.

However, you will want to have an Apple Watch if you want a truly seamless experience.

People will get it soon enough. Airpods are fuckin' sweet.

Khablam posted:

Making them ear buds and not in-ear monitors is a critical flaw that will leave a lot of people losing / breaking one as it falls out.

When is a wire problematic? On the move.
When is a loose fitting earbud problematic? On the move.

Like c'mon where's the use case guys.

No actually you are really wrong on this. Making them into monitors would have made them poo poo for wearing throughout the day. They are specifically not IEMs, on purpose. The idea is to NOT block out sound.

And again, they stick in your ears like crazy. They ain't going anywhere. I mean, as long as they fit you in the first place. It's actually the fuckin' cord that causes the wired ones to fall out for reasons I don't feel like articulating but you can probably suss them out if you think about it.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Making them ear buds and not in-ear monitors is a critical flaw that will leave a lot of people losing / breaking one as it falls out.

When is a wire problematic? On the move.
When is a loose fitting earbud problematic? On the move.

Like c'mon where's the use case guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Even ignoring that Earpods are so uncomfortable to be that I can't use them for more than a half hour, why would I want earbuds that DON'T block noise at work? That is a large part of WHY I wear earbuds.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
That's cool, maybe they're not for you. They will sell them as fast as they can make them for a while.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taima posted:

However, you will want to have an Apple Watch if you want a truly seamless experience.

Wait what can you do with them and a watch? I thought those just paired to the phone and that was that.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Endless Mike posted:

Even ignoring that Earpods are so uncomfortable to be that I can't use them for more than a half hour, why would I want earbuds that DON'T block noise at work? That is a large part of WHY I wear earbuds.

They could very well go the way of Apple's previous Bluetooth headset, a minimalistic headset that didn't fit a lot of people, had a weird charging setup, and cost too much for what it was.

I still own one that I got free from work. I was never able to actually use it, since the earbud part was too big for my ears even without the foam ring. I've never been able to use EarPods either due to them just not fitting.

Fortunately, the only time I listen to music on my phone is when I'm mowing the lawn, so a cheap pair of earbuds with interchangeable rubber pieces works perfectly well for me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait what can you do with them and a watch? I thought those just paired to the phone and that was that.

You can control your volume by using the digital crown and skip tracks through your watch, which is awesome and seamless. If you don't, you have to either Siri up in public or take your phone out of your pocket. There's no button or set of clicks that will control track or volume functionality.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Probably control the playback without using Siri or pulling out your phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

You can pair them to your watch and listen to music without your phone as well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

You can probably use regular headphones that you squish into your sound holes. Which is awesome if those fit your particular ear shape.

For me, Earpods are the most comfortable headphones ever. They way they sit in my ear must help with resonance as well, as any other headphones sound tinny and without bass. I buy cheap Earpods online that have failed Apple's quality controls just so that I've always got extras.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
EarPods fit in one of my ears.

I have two. :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just make an IEM version damnit

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Taima posted:

You can control your volume by using the digital crown and skip tracks through your watch, which is awesome and seamless. If you don't, you have to either Siri up in public or take your phone out of your pocket. There's no button or set of clicks that will control track or volume functionality.

Do you have to be in the Music or Now Playing app for this? Or does the Watch say "oh you got AirPods" and it does that stuff automatically? Also has anyone tried the seamless switching between your phone and another iOS device or MacOS computer?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have to be in the Music or Now Playing app for this? Or does the Watch say "oh you got AirPods" and it does that stuff automatically?

Nah you have to be in one of the music apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Dave posted:

I would just copy the message, start a new email, and paste it. But that's just me.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this is for dozens of text messages between several different parties and copy paste isn't going to work.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Messages isn't an email client

Thanks for the clarification. They're so similar I was almost confused! It's a pity Apple can't handle what the rest of the world has been able to accomplish in the past decade.

But I am glad to hear it's not just me. It's literally impossible to do.