Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

raditts posted:

gently caress, this reminds me that I got Zombiu as a Christmas present last year and have yet to take it out of the shrink wrapping

I'm a bad gamer

keep it in the shrink wrap and sell it in 15 years when neohipsters want to complete there ironic bad game collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

I think if you drift too far away from the Vader/Skywalker Jedi thread, in the films at least, you risk just making like a generic movie about Space Pirates. Huge amount of Star Wars, as a setting, is wrapped up in this idea that a terrible and irresistible destiny between the Jedi and Sith basically has the entire Galaxy in its grip. If you take away the lightsabers and mysticism, you're just kinda left with a completely generic space opera setting, which like, that's fine, but it's a waste to attach the Star Wars brand to it.

If only the Jedi/Sith thing weren't super boring

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lets hang out posted:

If only the Jedi/Sith thing weren't super boring

If you strip out the Jedi/Sith, and just keep the rebels/empire thread, then congratulations it's just Space World War 2. The Space Allies have to stop the Space Fascist Powers from conquering all of their Space Countries and presumably purging the Space Minorities.

It's not a coincidence that everybody you see working directly under the empire post-Palpatine is a human or a clone of a human. It's a direct analog to naziism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Star Wars has a lot of signature elements but they don't all have to be foregrounded all the time in every story. The old EU had all kinds of poo poo in it and not all of it was about jedis fighting siths with lightsabers (and a lot of it was garbage, but that's beside the point).

The main criticism of Force Awakens was that it was a carbon copy of a story that had already been told, I hope Rogue One does well so they get pushed in a new direction.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'd watch movies about space ww2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's basically what Rogue One is, according to the soundtrack composer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Am i reading right? You played through all the Kirby games but stopped at the best one??

Stopped after. I then I picked up dream course on 3DS VC to just keep playing it on commutes. It's hard to marathon because of how easy the games are IMO, stuff like mega man and Castlevania felt very rewarding to experience the crests and valleys of accomplishment. Kirby games are really fun but I quickly found I'd rather space them out and chip away when I want downtime between more involved games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dream course is the best kirby but that's because it's obviously so different and i'm not especially fond of the mainline kirbys anyway. 64 was fun i guess

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It does sound more like something I'd like. I don't even mind (is this a spoiler I'm not sure, someone said it was in a trailer?) Vader being in it because he was a cool ominous guy at some point, it's the really tortured light side/dark side stuff that I don't care about at all

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

lets hang out posted:

I'd watch movies about space ww2

Harrow posted:

That's basically what Rogue One is, according to the soundtrack composer.

I look forward to when the rebels/allies realise they can outproduce the empire/axis and make 5 slightly smaller but equally well armoured death stars and the empire/axis inevitably crumbles under the weight of its tendency to overdesign everything.

(I don't think it's going to be WW2 in space since what I just described sounds really boring to watch, but that's basically how it would go. That, or the scientists who could have worked on the death star/nuke will have already left the empire to join the rebels and they're the ones who actually end up with the superweapon.)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the jedi sith stuff is more interesting when it's personal luke/vader or rey/kylo stuff and insanely boring when the jedi are an intragalactic political force of thousands

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

looking back, i really enjoyed force awakens outside of the grandpa + grandma han leia stuff

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Stopped after. I then I picked up dream course on 3DS VC to just keep playing it on commutes. It's hard to marathon because of how easy the games are IMO, stuff like mega man and Castlevania felt very rewarding to experience the crests and valleys of accomplishment. Kirby games are really fun but I quickly found I'd rather space them out and chip away when I want downtime between more involved games.

I got burned out on trying to do every Yakuza game this year- got through 2 (which has held up remarkably well for a PS2 game) then started playing around in 4 before I stopped. Decided I didn't really want to rush through them- series kind of encourages you to meander around and check things out and trying to just blitz through the games felt wrong.

Definitely going back to it later though. Want to wander around 2 a little more and really take time to properly screw around in 4 and then maybe go back and do 3.

Oh also started with Dead Souls which is the worst one

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part 2 of Noclip's DOOM documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

This one's about how it struck the self-aware tone it has and it's pretty amusing.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Monkey Fracas posted:

I've still gotta play Deadly Premonition one of these days

If I wait long enough someone might mod out most of the awful combat and leave the game as it was meant to be

The combat is fine with mouse look.

If you want to trivialize combat more (sort of a spoiler but not really)

look up how to get the guitar melee weapon. It's a one hit kill on the everything but the final boss. It's a reward for completing a challenge room iirc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I was coming to post it, I'm halfway through and it's goddamn hilarious the way they came to writing the story of DOOM 2016.

It involves Bruce Willis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I picked up Dragon Quest Heroes while it's only $22, mainly for my wife but who am I kidding

It definitely helps improve the Musou formula by having such awesome cute characters. The Healslime is my pal :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

I picked up Dragon Quest Heroes while it's only $22, mainly for my wife but who am I kidding

It definitely helps improve the Musou formula by having such awesome cute characters. The Healslime is my pal :3:

Whoa, how long is it only $22 for?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
well my wisdom teeth removal got kicked up a few weeks to this saturday so looks like i get to power through some of my backlog next week

thinking rise of the tomb raider, working on my game, and then dishonored 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

Whoa, how long is it only $22 for?

It looks like the sale ended at midnight. :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I think if you drift too far away from the Vader/Skywalker Jedi thread, in the films at least, you risk just making like a generic movie about Space Pirates. Huge amount of Star Wars, as a setting, is wrapped up in this idea that a terrible and irresistible destiny between the Jedi and Sith basically has the entire Galaxy in its grip. If you take away the lightsabers and mysticism, you're just kinda left with a completely generic space opera setting, which like, that's fine, but it's a waste to attach the Star Wars brand to it.

Maybe this is true if you give a single poo poo about the previous EU and prequel films. I always felt that Luke's journey was a very personal one. Everyone else is doing their own thing, the rebellion doesn't give a poo poo about the jedi or the sith or any of that. Luke's religion helps him destroy the death star in the first film, but this isn't even really known to anyone but him. Many bothans died and many people worked hard to bring down the death star, and that has basically nothing to do with the Jedi or Sith.

Luke spends most of Empire Strikes Back off on his own while sketchy people have really straightforward political, economic, and personal quarrels. Nothing to do with the Jedi or Sith. Luke finds out that Vader is his dad, but again, no one gives a poo poo about some Jedi vs Sith balance. In fact, "The Sith" aren't even a thing in the original movies.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke isn't even important to destroying the death star. He leaves to go do his own thing. The Jedi-Sith conflict is not important at all to the setting of the original trilogy. The father-son conflict is.

deadly_pudding posted:

If you strip out the Jedi/Sith, and just keep the rebels/empire thread, then congratulations it's just Space World War 2. The Space Allies have to stop the Space Fascist Powers from conquering all of their Space Countries and presumably purging the Space Minorities.

It's not a coincidence that everybody you see working directly under the empire post-Palpatine is a human or a clone of a human. It's a direct analog to naziism.

It's literally the opposite of a waste. If it's "just Space World War 2", then why should everyone who wants to tell a space ww2 story have to invent their own setting which is "just space world war 2"?

This isn't the thread for it, and I'm pretty much done. I just can't wrap my head around "reusing an existing setting is a waste", since it seems far less wasteful to me than reinventing the wheel.

This is finals week for me, but games I plan to play this winter break:

FFXV
Pokemon Sun/Moon (haven't chosen yet, probably Moon)
BF1
Bravely Default
DQ Builders (I think I'm going to start recreating Bloodborne buildings in DQB)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

new madden game is looking sick

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

Is than OPEN WORLD MADDEN GAME?!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wow I didn't think Nintendogs were coming back

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Snak posted:

This isn't the thread for it, and I'm pretty much done. I just can't wrap my head around "reusing an existing setting is a waste", since it seems far less wasteful to me than reinventing the wheel.

Using that setting means you have to deal with all of the baggage that goes with that setting, both within the story and within the audience's perception of it. It means that doing certain things requires more effort on your part to get the audience to go with them (and the people funding it, in the case of a movie). That's pretty much it.

That doesn't mean that using an original setting avoids all of those issues, but it does at least nominally give the author a lot more freedom to do what they actually find interesting.

That said, constraints aren't always bad. Experience leads me to think that directly taking another setting and writing stories in it usually leads to less interesting stories, though.

Edit: But yeah this ain't the thread for that talk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Maybe this is true if you give a single poo poo about the previous EU and prequel films. I always felt that Luke's journey was a very personal one. Everyone else is doing their own thing, the rebellion doesn't give a poo poo about the jedi or the sith or any of that. Luke's religion helps him destroy the death star in the first film, but this isn't even really known to anyone but him. Many bothans died and many people worked hard to bring down the death star, and that has basically nothing to do with the Jedi or Sith.

Luke spends most of Empire Strikes Back off on his own while sketchy people have really straightforward political, economic, and personal quarrels. Nothing to do with the Jedi or Sith. Luke finds out that Vader is his dad, but again, no one gives a poo poo about some Jedi vs Sith balance. In fact, "The Sith" aren't even a thing in the original movies.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke isn't even important to destroying the death star. He leaves to go do his own thing. The Jedi-Sith conflict is not important at all to the setting of the original trilogy. The father-son conflict is.

I just rewatched Empire Strikes Back and, really, Luke accomplishes surprisingly little in that one. Leaving his training to go save his friends leads to him... not really saving his friends, actually. In fact, at one point he sees Leia get dragged off and goes in the opposite direction, ending up in a conflict with Vader in which all he does is lose his hand, find out Vader's his dad, and get rescued by Leia and Lando. Maybe it was intended to come across that his distracting Vader is what allowed Leia, Chewie, R2, and Lando to escape?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

This is finals week for me, but games I plan to play this winter break:

FFXV
Pokemon Sun/Moon (haven't chosen yet, probably Moon)
BF1
Bravely Default
DQ Builders (I think I'm going to start recreating Bloodborne buildings in DQB)

Pro choices but I'd pick Sun, it has the better exclusives like Vulpix

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh man is the spritework in the new Shantae game pretty.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean, obviously you should tell your story in a setting which is appropriate for it. Any time you are making compromises in your story to fit some kind of expectations, that's gonna be a negative.

I really don't agree that it's gonna require more effort on your part to get the audience to go with your story in an existing setting than to get your audience to accept an entirely new setting so they can accept your story. Like, for decades, every "generic space opera setting" was described by critics and viewers as "like star wars". I feel like you have to work just as hard to distance yourself from being a "ripoff" or "cashing in.

Like, I do totally get what is being said. I approach Rogue One and future "Star Wars Stories" with a pretty big degree of skepticism. Disney straight up doesn't produce interesting stories. So it remains to be seen how much of a war story you can tell while doing reshoots to bring it more in line with the tone of the franchise.

The trailer I saw in front of Doctor Strange actually made Rogue One like boring and lovely with just a bunch of really generic bad dialogue. So, we'll see.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Ostentatious posted:

thug 3

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Maybe I'm just getting old but I feel like a lot of blockbusters these days seem to have a very noticeable formula of giving the audience a scene with a lot of noise and explosions every 20-30 minutes to distract from the fact that there is very little substance to the film. I felt that way about star wars 7, the recent star trek films, the new Harry Potter, etc.

I know those movies have always existed but I feel like it's been worse in recent years. Maybe as a result of the marvel boom.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe I'm just getting old but I feel like a lot of blockbusters these days seem to have a very noticeable formula of giving the audience a scene with a lot of noise and explosions every 20-30 minutes to distract from the fact that there is very little substance to the film. I felt that way about star wars 7, the recent star trek films, the new Harry Potter, etc.

I know those movies have always existed but I feel like it's been worse in recent years. Maybe as a result of the marvel boom.

You're definitely not wrong. In Star Wars VII's case, they basically just redid the plot of Episode IV with a few more explosions and also the Death Star was a planet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The superhero boom is definitely annoying and the only portion of it I've enjoyed has been two of the Netflix series, but I actually really liked the new Star Wars. There are definitely huge chases and explosions added to most adventure-y type films, that's kind of part of the formula. There's nothing wrong with tropes if they're used correctly; Pacific Rim is a pretty good example. There are always films with actual substance being produced, but whether or not they're the kind of films that have money or awards thrown at them sort of fluctuates every five years or so.

3D is loving terrible, though, and as a stereoblind person, it's really obvious when stuff was inserted purely for the "It's coming right at the audience!!" effect. It does nothing but wash out the colors and encourage gimmickry and they should stop making them entirely.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, it's really a shame. The Marvel movies have been such huge sucesses, that not only are all the MCU films the same formula, everyone wants to copy it.

It's a like a videogame. where character development is relegated to cutscenes between the action segments.

Look at Doctor Strange. You get 10 minutes of actors actually acting, talking about their feelings, and then 10 minutes of random loving buildings kaleidoscoping in some kind of fight scene that doesn't make a lot of sense. Repeat for 2 hours. That's basically the whole movie.

And huge chunks of it are
"You don't believe me?"
"You're lying!"
"Then maybe this VFX sequence will convince you!"

My favorite part of Doctor Strange was him being an rear end in a top hat at the beginning, both before, and after his accident. Then we're essential told that his character grows up a bit offscreen. They, despite still being a huge brat with no respect for authority, he gets a promotion. Because that's what the plot requires to happen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently Vader makes more or less a dad pun in the new Star Wars movie, though I don't know what it is. On the one hand it takes away from him being an ominous and imposing figure, but on the other the thought of him smugly grinning to himself with his half mouth and then being disappointed when nobody acknowledges it is funny to me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

"they FORCEd me into this"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"How'd you arrive so quickly, Lord Vader?"
"I can travel pretty speedily in the Jedi borrowed."
"That's terribl- uh! My.... neck!"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snak posted:

My favorite part of Doctor Strange was him being an rear end in a top hat at the beginning, both before, and after his accident. Then we're essential told that his character grows up a bit offscreen. They, despite still being a huge brat with no respect for authority, he gets a promotion. Because that's what the plot requires to happen.

In fairness, this is pretty reflective of Strange in the comics. Half of the stuff Dr. Strange gets up to on his own time boils down to "I know this spell is forbidden, but I really need it to stop the <current threat>" *unleashes massive curse upon his enemy, starts shooting tar out of his eyes, accidentally lets an elder god creep into Manhattan*

Like, the first thing he does in his new book is get extremely frisky with a demonic worm queen because he's just magical Tony Stark.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Lord Vader, I'm extremely worried about this rebel attack."
"Hi, Extremely Worried About This Rebel Attack. I'm Dad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked Doctor Strange for the imagination it managed to shove into the cracks in the formula. The hospital ghost fight was great and the final battle in the street re-assembling itself as time runs backward was unlike anything I can remember seeing. It's not high art but I don't regret those two hours.

There are so drat many MCU movies that some of them are going to be good just through pure luck. Guardians 2 is probably my most anticipated movie of next year.

• Locked thread