Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

listen guys, we gotta javascript here so should we just roll our own poo poo or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
deploy the YospoScript

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

HoboMan posted:

listen guys, we gotta javascript here so what should we just roll our own poo poo or what?

just hire some miserable son of a bitch to javascript for you, and when you cant bear to look at his face anymore fire him and replace him with the next millenial js programmer in line

its the only way, don't touch the poop, etc.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

HoboMan posted:

listen guys, we gotta javascript here so should we just roll our own poo poo or what?

use react

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I second the suggestion to just do git command line. My experience with git gui is that they all do something strange at some point, and when you're doing merges/rebases I want to be up to my elbows in the muck otherwise if things go sideways it takes a lot longer to figure out in gui and you end up googling for command line fixes anyway.

HoboMan posted:

anyone heard of Aurelia? it's been pitched as our new js framework

it got pitched with the line "made by a designer from Angular 2 who left the project because he thought it was terrible and had too much boilerplate" so i am intrigued. but it's site and blog posts about it look very "modern" javascript circlejerky in how they talk about it

I would make a case that using something that doesn't have a long, proven track record of support and maintenance should be avoided. You could say something like "maybe in 3-5 years, Aurelia will be mature enough to be used in mission critical systems."

Then just use react.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

deploy the YospoScript

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i would just use react, but all we really need is client-side databinding which doesn't look like react does very well?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

there's a web browser for classic Amiga that supports HTML4 and CSS2 with HTML5 support in planning stages :pwn:

it requires AGA or a video card and 32MB of RAM though so it doesn't work on my system :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

there's a web browser for classic Amiga that supports HTML4 and CSS2 with HTML5 support in planning stages :pwn:

it requires AGA or a video card and 32MB of RAM though so it doesn't work on my system :(
Guess you'll have to write an emulator.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

how did you manage to get an even more obnoxious av

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hackbunny posted:

how did you manage to get an even more obnoxious av

hey now, my last av was good :confused:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HoboMan posted:

i would just use react, but all we really need is client-side databinding which doesn't look like react does very well?

not to sound like a broken record but, maybe try knockout? it's the sweet spot imo when you aren't building a full on single page app but you need something better organized than jquery spaghetti.

or just go with whatever because picking a js framework is no hill to die on.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i learned some python, enough to automate all the boring stuff at my stupid job.

i've done some projects in it for fun, learning something new with every one. i wouldn't call myself competent, but I can google what I don't know.

what do I do next so that someone will actually pay me money for being a terrible programmer.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

jony neuemonic posted:

not to sound like a broken record but, maybe try knockout? it's the sweet spot imo when you aren't building a full on single page app but you need something better organized than jquery spaghetti.

or just go with whatever because picking a js framework is no hill to die on.

no, not whatever.
select whatever from one of the mature frameworks with good tooling.
do not roll your own
do not use some 2-month old fad project

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ultravoices posted:

what do I do next so that someone will actually pay me money for being a terrible programmer.

have you tried:

apply for a programming job?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Wheany posted:

have you tried:

apply for a programming job?

no. will they know i'm a terrible programmer?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Wheany posted:

no, not whatever.
select whatever from one of the mature frameworks with good tooling.
do not roll your own
do not use some 2-month old fad project

yep i misread and thought his team had already decided on it. hoboman die on the hill.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ultravoices posted:

no. will they know i'm a terrible programmer?

probably

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

HoboMan posted:

probably

will i still get a job?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

I wonder what the compiler spits out for that multiply now that I remember the details of the cpu. I bet it's not good

i have nerd sniped myself hard enough that now that im in front of IAR i am finding this out! the original problem:
code:
//    6 	volatile int i = 0;
        MOV.W   #0x0, 0(SP)
//    7   i = i * 80;
        MOV.W   @SP, R15
        RLA.W   R15
        RLA.W   R15
        RLA.W   R15
        RLA.W   R15
        MOV.W   R15, R14
        RLA.W   R15
        RLA.W   R15
        ADD.W   R14, R15
        MOV.W   R15, 0(SP)
it produced this solution for every optimization setting except optimizing for size, which did some wonky poo poo externing to what looks to be a shift-by-four thing that, in the final assembly, looks basically the same but with some more jumping (???)

interestingly, when i switch to a multiply by a non-constant, it calls a hardware multiplier that the default-selected msp430 apparently has (and i didnt realize it had when i did the first example):

code:
//    6 	volatile int i = 0;
        MOV.W   #0x0, 0(SP)
//    7 	int j = i;
        MOV.W   @SP, R15
//    8   i = j * j;
        PUSH.W  SR
        DINT
        NOP
        MOV.W   R15, &0x130
        MOV.W   R15, &0x138
        MOV.W   &0x13a, 0x2(SP)
        POP.W   SR
speculatively, it seems to have avoided this earlier since it requires disabling interrupts, which requires saving and restoring the status register (SR). otherwise it's shorter and faster than the shift-filled version :iiam:

of course, this is all for 16-bit ints. in the 32-bit case, it still does rotations (and a whole lotta them) for the constant multiply and it uses the multiplier with its multiply-accumulate a whole bunch for the non-constant multiply

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ultravoices posted:

will i still get a job?

probably

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ultravoices posted:

will i still get a job?

probably not

to get my first job i applied to three places a day for a solid month and did about a dozen interviews so...

if i had done an internship somewhere it would have probably helped

e: oh sorry i thought you said *the* job not *a* job. you probably will get one :)

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 13, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ultravoices posted:

will i still get a job?

sure

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

Why would I want git support in my editor? Someone mentioned that a page or so ago, I think, and I'm genuinely curious what the benefits are. I usually just keep a terminal open in another workspace and use git cli there and I've never felt constrained by that.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

applies for: junior junior junior terrible programmer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nehacoo posted:

Why would I want git support in my editor? Someone mentioned that a page or so ago, I think, and I'm genuinely curious what the benefits are. I usually just keep a terminal open in another workspace and use git cli there and I've never felt constrained by that.

almost like different people have different workflows that fit them best

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Nehacoo posted:

they usually have some kind of highlighting for new/changed/deleted lines and modified files which is pretty useful even if you're doing all your git stuff in a terminal.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Nehacoo posted:

rightclick file -> commit

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nehacoo posted:

use checkboxes to select files to commit, have a better text editor for the commit message, get a better graphical diff, do extra stuff like clean up or analyze code.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ultravoices posted:

i wouldn't call myself competent, but I can google what I don't know.

This is literally the only thing you need to learn to be a programmer.

Nehacoo posted:

In VS you get little captions at the top of functions saying "Last updated by Dumb rear end in a top hat 5 days ago with a commit note of 'Farts' and work item 'Needs more farts'". Branch, commit, merge, diff, never leave your IDE again!

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 13, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chalks posted:

however in interviews theyll treat you like a criminal convict if you need to

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chalks posted:

if you want a job as a programmer there are a few other things you can google, like "fizz buzz [language]"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

probably not

to get my first job i applied to three places a day for a solid month and did about a dozen interviews so...

if i had done an internship somewhere it would have probably helped

e: oh sorry i thought you said *the* job not *a* job. you probably will get one :)

Yeah, as an entry-level programmer, you need to find just the right job offer that is looking for entry-level/junior devs. That being said, depending on the company/your market/your skills even if they don't say "looking for entry-level terrible programmer" if you have the skills they're looking for they might take you anyway. Just get comfortable with whiteboard exercises, i.e. don't worry about bombing out because you will as a entry-level but it won't matter if they really are willing to hire entry-level guys and train them up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants posted:

if you want a job as a programmer there are a few other things you can google, like "fizz buzz [language]"

i wonder how long it would take to figure out fizzbuzz in malbolge

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

however in interviews theyll treat you like a criminal convict if you need to

No that's... I don't...

If you're interviewed by competent managers/devs that should not happen at all. If you're not interview by competent managers/devs that think googling for answers is evil then my hot take is don't work there.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

If you're interviewed by competent managers/devs that should not happen at all.

that's a pretty big if

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

No that's... I don't...

If you're interviewed by competent managers/devs that should not happen at all. If you're not interview by competent managers/devs that think googling for answers is evil then my hot take is don't work there.

Yeah, in our interviews we intentionally set problems that require the solution to act unusually in certain conditions. They're free to use google to help them with the answer, but they'd better read and fulfil the specification. It's a much better test of someone's ability to actually carry out a real world task rather than their ability to pointlessly memorise algorithms.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

anthonypants posted:

i can write a loop and know what a modulus operator is, i'm all set to get those dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

ultravoices posted:

i can write a loop and know what a modulus operator is, i'm all set to get those dollars.

if you move to cali and can bullshit a bunch of javascript buzzwords you could immediately be getting a deece six figgies even

but then you would be living near sv and coding in js and personally even a deece six point five is not really tempting enough

• Locked thread