Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

From the GPU thread:

http://videocardz.com/64637/secret-amd-vega-tech-day-is-happening-right-now

Real neat month for AMD, hopefully we get some more info on that soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I cannot believe there have not been any freaking leaks yet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Really. AMD absolutely needs hype. But their new products need to deliver, big time. Zen can't be another Bulldozer, and Vega needs to be genuinely high end, AMD can't pretend that it's worthwhile picking up scraps in the low and mid-range any longer.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looks like today is all Vega speculation from the secret event the other day. Hopefully the hype is real tomorrow.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint: If we can't get hyped over this, what is there to get hyped about in the future?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Prospective buyers of AMD.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

fishmech posted:

I think dude meant to say a PC with a TV tuner built in.

Anyway yeah it's been illegal for nearly a decade to sell a TV without a digital TV tuner in the US or Canada, in regular stores for consumers. If a manufacturer doesn't want to include one, it has to be sold as a monitor.

One thing that is interesting, is the Seine module for the OTA tuner (Analog probably?) which causes the entire TV to "die".

Unplugging just that Module, allows the TV to work entirely normally since we have Dish and plenty of other HDMI devices through the Receiver. Go figure.

I wonder how many of those TV's have been tossed just due to that stupid module. The TV itself is from 2005 and still looks/works great.

Anyway little offshoot but Tuner parts cause more problems than they are worth. :argh:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont understand people saying the cards may be crippled because amd taped up all the pci vents to keep people from taking pictures. Why would AMD purposely gimp their poo poo during their event.

They could just put the computers under a desk

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I dont understand people saying the cards may be crippled because amd taped up all the pci vents to keep people from taking pictures. Why would AMD purposely gimp their poo poo during their event.

They could just put the computers under a desk

It's the Apple version and the tape is covering a single USB-c port.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Will you settle for some press slides?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Ryzen?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

drat you, AMD! Give me the context for Threadripper, drat your eyes!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
THE LORD IS RYZEN

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ryzen reminds me too much of Wyzen, the fat gently caress that's the first speedbump in your way in Asura's Wrath.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

idgi

why not call it a name nobody's going to hate like Athlon again

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

so is the cache forged together like intel's cache or what

FuturePastNow posted:

idgi

why not call it a name nobody's going to hate like Athlon again
athlon/sempron are the new pentium/celeron for amd, they're gonna save that branding for the runts

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have literally nothing going on tomorrow. Is this reveal gonna be like Apples WWDC or something where we all watch and jeer as disconnected yet "hip" execs advertise their new product #ryzen ?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm upset I have to be at my yet to be connected to the Internet office tomorrow all day to receive packages instead of watching this. Maybe if I position my phone *just so* I'll be able to catch the live stream.

20MB feels like a lot of cache? It's not a spec I pay a ton of attention to. Hopefully 3.4GHz+ doesn't mean 3.5GHz boost.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if the cache banks aren't separate that's 16mb of l3 cache for games which means good min framerates if the microcode is more or less similar to intel's

encoding modern games without using GPU power is also going to be fairly painless as well, games are crushing against 8 threads these days and four more cores could really help

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
If AMD goes HBM memory, would it be used as some ungodly huge cache or would I not need to buy RAM anymore because it comes with the CPU?

I can understand giving an APU 4GB of super RAM and hey presto I don't need to buy a video card anymore (what I want) but on the FX chip would anymore than like 1GB do anything?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Dali Parton posted:

I have literally nothing going on tomorrow. Is this reveal gonna be like Apples WWDC or something where we all watch and jeer as disconnected yet "hip" execs advertise their new product #ryzen ?

Probably since this page says "​Watch live on 12/13 at 3 pm CST for a sneak preview of our new “Zen” CPU​"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Drakhoran posted:

Probably since this page says "​Watch live on 12/13 at 3 pm CST for a sneak preview of our new “Zen” CPU​"

You...have to sign up to watch?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

I'm upset I have to be at my yet to be connected to the Internet office tomorrow all day to receive packages instead of watching this. Maybe if I position my phone *just so* I'll be able to catch the live stream.

20MB feels like a lot of cache? It's not a spec I pay a ton of attention to. Hopefully 3.4GHz+ doesn't mean 3.5GHz boost.

Based on slides, AMD no longer has a true Turbo clock, rather XFR will just consantly (and safely) push the CPU to it's highest clocks. They'll probably guarantee some minimum of clockspeed maximum on air for Turbo.

I wonder if this jives with the onboard BIOS and overlocking through windows rumor, that you'll need to manipulate XFR through windows via Overdrive?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lets hope AMD can take a "sledgehammer" to the competition.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What happens if it's another bulldozer? All I remember from that is that people were let down. Does intel sorta prop them up so they don't go completely under? I'm not entirely sure how this works because it seems, for the outside observer, that it hasn't been all that competitive lately.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dali Parton posted:

What happens if it's another bulldozer?

Their CPU division would basically be dead other than that part that spits out a few netbook-class cores for the current generation consoles.

If that happens, Vega better be superior to anything NVIDIA has to offer, at a lower price point, to keep AMD afloat. Otherwise I really can't see a way AMD would be anything other than completely screwed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dali Parton posted:

:rip: AMD

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dali Parton posted:

Then I hope the people gloating about buying AMD stock for cheap manage to sell it all near the peak.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NewFatMike posted:

Intel puts 20-25megs of cache on 8 core chips, so it's comparable there. (Xeons typically stick with 2.5megs cache per core, although there are some models that specifically provide more cache and vs core count, since some applications like that. You can get a 2667v4 with 3.125 megs cache per core and and 3.6ghz clocks vs the 1680 with 4ghz clocks but less cache and a higher TDP. The highest they go is 3.75 megs per core I think).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dali Parton posted:

the watermark of actually being successful depends on if the power envelopes are as low as they say they are for the performance they claim on server chips, which would put AMD back on the high margin server market

i'm betting it's gonna sorely disappoint clocking up beyond 4.0-4.2ghz but only gamers care about that right now

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the watermark of actually being successful depends on if the power envelopes are as low as they say they are for the performance they claim on server chips, which would put AMD back on the high margin server market

i'm betting it's gonna sorely disappoint clocking up beyond 4.0-4.2ghz but only gamers care about that right now

So we get an AMD Broadwell-E of sorts.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

EdEddnEddy posted:

So we get an AMD Broadwell-E of sorts.

Which isn't bad, its the closest they've been in a long while.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Doesn't all the BIOS and everything being on chip also allow from four much less expensive motherboards? AMD might be chipping down cost in both directions.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

NewFatMike posted:

Doesn't all the BIOS and everything being on chip also allow from four much less expensive motherboards? AMD might be chipping down cost in both directions.

A bios chip doesn't cost very much.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NewFatMike posted:

What's cheaper to replace when a BIOS update gets hosed, a few bucks BIOS chip or your CPU?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
When was the last time that a consumer-class motherboard shipped with a socketed BIOS chip?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

McGlockenshire posted:

When was the last time that a consumer-class motherboard shipped with a socketed BIOS chip?
Haswell. It used a 64mb nand chip and Z-boards of Skylake have socketed BIOS chips as well but I think the cheaper ones are just soldered now

I really hope the BIOS really isn't on the die, or at least it could be run from a bios on the board. That seems like a really weird thing to put on-die. :ohdear:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 13, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if the cache banks aren't separate that's 16mb of l3 cache for games which means good min framerates if the microcode is more or less similar to intel's
Based on the supposed die picture, the cache seems to be split in two. Four cores per half.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Based on the supposed die picture, the cache seems to be split in two. Four cores per half.
I meant the logic itself, 12-or-more Intel cores have physically separated cache banks but are unified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

wargames posted:

Which isn't bad, its the closest they've been in a long while.

Exactly. While sheer Clocks would be indeed nice, bringing 8 cores into the mainstream that are still peppy, should help future game developers target 4+ cores from now on, and even for the gamers that also stream, having 8 cores + 8 more threads should help smooth things out when you want to play GTAV and Stream while Running 100 Tabs and god knows what else all at the same time.

I know first hand how much I love my 6Core when multitasking like crazy and everything continues to chug along nicely.

• Locked thread