Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's not set in stone quite yet, but it's looking like we may be saying good bye to Dimple.

Good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 97.10 batoto link

The true power of friendship, realized.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

FIN, NO PUNCHLINE.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009
It's crazy how this manga uses very basic tropes from the shounen manga, but in a way that makes them flow smoothly. The "power of friendship saves the world" thing is so overplayed it makes me sick, even more because it's often as a silly deus ex machina. But here it's consistent with the story, it just fits. Power of friendship was created just for 100 Mob Psycho.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like, as weird as it might sound, is because ONE actually understands friendships and is drawing upon actual experiences, while most manga artists never had time to develop bonds, thus their friendship messages fall kind of flat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordaedil posted:

I feel like, as weird as it might sound, is because ONE actually understands friendships and is drawing upon actual experiences, while most manga artists never had time to develop bonds, thus their friendship messages fall kind of flat.

Yeah, that does sound really weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The power of friendship is good and powerful and Mob is an extremely good friend so it is extremely powerful when he utilises it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm guessing ONE did a pretty extensive research about psychology and emotions for his work. It's the main "gimmick" and it plays into absolutely everything in the show. How the characters feel (not just Mob) is fundamental to every single story beat. And from that emotional knowledge he looked at normal things in shonen and reinspected them.

TBH in my head I kinda put MP100 as the japanese Steven Universe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think of MP100 as the japanese One Punch Man.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm guessing ONE did a pretty extensive research about psychology and emotions for his work. It's the main "gimmick" and it plays into absolutely everything in the show. How the characters feel (not just Mob) is fundamental to every single story beat. And from that emotional knowledge he looked at normal things in shonen and reinspected them.

lol

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This post is the closest I've come to not wanting to read this manga anymore.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
two good shows imo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We should do a comparison

Mob Psycho 100
- Has Mob
- Has Reigen
- Has Dimple
- Has Reigen

Steven Universe
- Who cares, doesn't have Mob, Reigen, Dimple or Reigen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I knew I was gonna get blasted. Ah, just meant how both shows do some work with emotional knowledge and that they're ultimately feel-good shows with some neat lessons i'm glad kids are learning instead of stuff like Naruto or Doug.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My guess is that one is a actual person who has experienced real relationships with other people unlike a majority of manga writers.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Also Steven universe is not good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I knew I was gonna get blasted. Ah, just meant how both shows do some work with emotional knowledge and that they're ultimately feel-good shows with some neat lessons i'm glad kids are learning instead of stuff like Naruto or Doug.

Don't compare Doug to Naruto.

Don't compare anything to Naruto.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mulva posted:

Don't compare Doug to Naruto.

Don't compare anything to Naruto.

what about bleach

can i compare bleach to naruto

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If Naruto was in the broccoli instead of Mob

Naruto: Why are you brainwashing everyone?!
Dimple: I am doing what I have always wanted.
Naruto: No! You're my friend!! *beats him up* do you understand me now?! through my fist?!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Broccoli: Yeah... Sorry.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Broccoli: No gently caress you naruto
*DOUBLES DOWN*

-2 Years later-

Broccoli:NO gently caress YOU NARUTO
*TRIPLES DOWN*

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Naruto is a story about an emotionally and physically abusive child badgering another child with legitimate brain problems who eventually, through learned helplessness and the loss of an arm, becomes submissive to the former childs whims.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

100MP is about an adolescent facing emotional turmoil and conflicting feelings, experiencing friendship, love, anger, trust and frustration while having the best goddamn support and growth structure ever.

He also happens to be a psychic and gets into hijinks

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Oops I accidentally caught up with the manga in a week.

I had no idea the second half of it would be way loving better than the first half. Holy poo poo do I need a second season of the anime. This is way better than OPM.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
One the topic of themes and stuff, one of my favorite things about Mob Psycho is how it commentates on the "average guy with superpowers" power fantasy. It doesn't try to show "what would actually happen in real life" (like a lot shows that nerds classify as deconstruction do), it asks "why does this power fantasy exist in the first place" and commentates on the answer.

The main message this power fantasy usually tells is that "you're talents are special and society is wrong for calling you a loser". The most egregious example of a show that does this is Mahouka, where the main protagonist literally has no emotions (except for all the ones that let him be "cool") and is considered weak according to his magic school, but is practically Jesus Christ.

Mob Psycho responds by saying "while your talents are special, it does not entitle you to anything. You earn happiness and respect from being a good person". This is mainly told through Mob's development and the Teru and first Claw arc. At the start, Mob is not happy with his personality despite being the most powerful character in the story. He strives to change himself for the better by joining the Body Improvement Club and abiding by Reigen's advice. We are seeing the culmination of his development right now: he chooses to trust Dimple and refuses to use his powers against him. Teru and the members of Claw in their respective arcs thought that their psychic powers made them special, with the latter thinking they were entitled to the world. They are ultimately shown to be unhappy: Mob tells Teru that without his psychic powers, he is insignificant just like him and Reigen calls the members of Claw children who are trying to run away from society. In the end, all of them abandon their entitlement and strive to be better people, with Teru chilling out and being cool and the former Claw members finding jobs.

tl;dr, ONE would tell Satou to grow the gently caress up.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I gotta say, I love the way Mob has developed over the course of the series. He had very little personality or opinions of his own at first but at this point he's confident himself and his support network. He has no issues expressing himself anymore and it's wonderful.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who is satou

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
A very bad LN author

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

theGrooseofLegend posted:

A very bad LN author

This does not narrow things down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This does not narrow things down.

The guy who wrote "The Irregular at Magic High School", which is about a dude with ULTIMATE POWER, but it's hidden, and also he's obsessed with his sister. Also he has no other emotions, so any others he shows are just because he's being a manipulative jackass.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

The guy who wrote "The Irregular at Magic High School", which is about a dude with ULTIMATE POWER, but it's hidden, and also he's obsessed with his sister. Also he has no other emotions, so any others he shows are just because he's being a manipulative jackass.

As terrible as that sounds--and it does sound terrible--it at least sounds very honest.

vvv Link that poo poo.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I've heard people praise that show outside of SA, but the thread on these forums convinced me it was a hot pile of garbage. I do recommend reading that thread, at least the op, but I can't fit the life of me understand why it gets any praise.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

As terrible as that sounds--and it does sound terrible--it at least sounds very honest.

vvv Link that poo poo.

it's actually about insane, genocide-level racism and nationalism and still somehow manages to be incredibly loving boring

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yinlock posted:

it's actually about insane, genocide-level racism and nationalism and still somehow manages to be incredibly loving boring

That's basically what I meant about it being honest. Maybe "blatant" would have been a better word.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

http://eyedelater.tumblr.com/post/154553473067/mob-psycho-100-chapter-9711

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oooh boy

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guys.

Guys, I think that this comic.

Is really good.

Guys.

It's really good, guys.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh noooo! That's such a cliffhanger!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

i want a ghost piggyback ride now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God-drat, imagine an anime shorts series of ONE omakes.