Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Christmas is all about the spirit of giving.

... me money for cooking your dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ikanreed posted:

You're all right, but the sister in law is missing a crucial rule for family function.

Never mix money and family. Not if you can help it. The moment you decide one family member owes another money ALL the old disputes and favors become fair game to argue about.

One of my relatives owes me several hundred dollars I will probably never get back; this was less about Christmas dinner and more about whether he'd be able to make rent a couple times but I'd still agree this is super solid advice

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Pssh I'm all about everyone else doing the cooking. This year I'm just making the turkey, cranberry sauce, gravy and a yule log for dessert. I delegated everything else to my mom, mother in law and my friends mom which is saving me not only a ton of money but a ton of time too.

Anywho, I like this one

quote:

Me [40M] with my Wife [40F] of 10 years, disappointing anniversary gift.
My wife and I have been married for 10 years and we celebrated our anniversary two weeks ago. For them that don't know, the 10th is considered the diamond anniversary and I knew that this anniversary was really important to my wife. Don't get me wrong, it was important to me as well, we have been a good team for 10 years. But it was a really big deal for her and I wanted to spoil her. So I had picked up some extra work over the last six months to make sure that I had money to buy her some nice gifts and to take her out for a nice night.
My wife had been asking me about what I would like and I pointed out that I could do with a new desk. We had spoke about it, since she wasn't happy buying me furniture for our anniversary. But I explained that I spend a lot of time sitting there and could really do with a new one. I pointed out a couple of options that I liked, all affordable and solid.
On the day, I got a flat packed PoS from a well known furniture company. Compared to my current desk, it is small, flimsy, and doesn't have anywhere to store my stuff. So I haven't used it. I ain't mad, just disappointed. Problem is that my wife keeps asking me why I won't change over to the new desk. I have no idea how to tell her and I don't want it to turn into a fight. How do I say 'Darling, you bought me poo poo for a gift.' without saying that.

** -- UPDATE -- **
They played me. Like a drat fiddle! I took some of the good advice here and I sat down with my wife when she came home. I told her the desk was too small for me and asked if it would be ok if we took it back and got something bigger. Whole time she sat there with a poker face, finally calls our daughter and says 'It only took him 15 days'.
Turns out that my wife thinks she is a a comedian. And so does my daughter. There is some sort of crazy oak desk being shipped to us. When my wife ordered it, they told her it would take about 3 weeks to get to us. So my darling daughter convinced my wife that they should pass off her new desk as my gift.
Thanks to everyone that offered advice.
tl;dr Wife ignored my suggestions, bought me a cheap desk, trying to figure out how to explain this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Pssh I'm all about everyone else doing the cooking. This year I'm just making the turkey, cranberry sauce, gravy and a yule log for dessert. I delegated everything else to my mom, mother in law and my friends mom which is saving me not only a ton of money but a ton of time too.

Anywho, I like this one

That's super cute but why did the 40 year old moron post on Reddit about it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Anywho, I like this one

this is a good wife

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Me [25 M] and my GF [26 F] of 5 years, use different units for the weather (F vs C) and might be heading for a break up over it

quote:

I'm British and my girlfriend is from the USA. Whenever the temperature comes up she will always describe it in Fahrenheit and I will ask her to say it again in Celsius.

Originally it was just joking around but since it happened so often it began to annoy her and I am now getting exasperated too.

Recently I told her she should just learn things in normal temperatures and she said she was tired of me bitching about it every time the topic came up. I told her I wouldn't have to bitch about it if she would just learn and she said that I should learn and maybe I would bitch less if I wasn't such a self absorbed rear end in a top hat.
She says reading relationship advice just upsets her now and makes her want to beat me over the compute until whatever 'advice' she's been reading sinks into my brain.

I know this sounds completely ridiculous but I feel like I'd be compromising on my pride and my morals to give in on the issue now. And I really don't see why I should have to if she won't!

This is causing a lot of stress between us.

(Edit: I feel I should add, I find it hard to take her opinions on temperatures seriously since she thinks 20c is 'cold')

tl;dr: She use Fahrenheit for the weather, I uses Celsius. She refuses to learn Celsius. Reasonable to break up over this or possible to work out?

quote:

Why shouldn't she just learn Celsius?

quote:

But I don't understand why I am the one who should stop here and not her?
His post got deleted the second I finished copy/pasting haha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
autism.txt

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Me [25 M] and my GF [26 F] of 5 years, use different units for the weather (F vs C) and might be heading for a break up over it

In his defense, I would probably break up with her too. Why can't she learn celsius, instead of using moon units for temperature?

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I need help apologising. I've [15M] done Mauy Thai & MMA for years. My future step brother [17?] kept punching my arm over and over again. I snapped last night when he punched me in my chest/heart and I hit him and knocked him out.Non-Romantic

quote:

submitted 2 hours ago by Ifuckeduphowismyfaul

Yes I know it was a mistake, I understand that. I understand it was wrong. But please just hear my side of things before you judge me as some muscle head Neanderthal who does not know his own strength. I've done Mauy Thai since I was 6 and I started doing MMA at age 13 the youngest they accept at my camp so 2 years of MMA and 9 years of Mauy Thai. I'm really good at it I enjoy competing in tournaments and I have won several.
My step brother found out and he has been punching me in my arm over and over again. He always want's to the see some fight in me. I'm not joking he punches me at least 20 times per day in my arm. I've ignored him, I've talked to my dad, I've spoken to the school. Each of them are more useless than the last.
Last night I was getting out of the shower and as I exited the bathroom, he hammered me in my chest. I had no shirt on, I was still semi wet, my towel dropped, my Pec was just killing me and he hit me on the side my heart was. He let out this laugh and I just punched him once and he went down. I pick up my towel and I left him. I had no loving sympathy at all for the moron.
Dad found him and he basically told me to get out and go live with mom. I have a bruise on my Pec, they told me they're not going to the police but want an apology. Because moms boyfriend is a cop and he told me it probably be seen as self defence. How do I apologise?
TL;DR: How do I appologize?

You can't just bruise your brother's pec and not think anything will come from it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

he's not wrong

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They need to use whichever country's standard they're in. He says she's "from" the US, so I assume they're in England. Therefore, he's right, they should use Celsius.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this relationship is literally an internet argument

like this is exactly how fahrenheit vs celsius always plays out, with no one learning anything

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You don't expect people to stop using aspects of their dialect even when they move. Or, for example, C is lab standard. So I use it in the lab. If someone came to visit me in the lab and said, "It's a hundred loving degrees outside!" I wouldn't tell them it's 38 degrees, thank kew. Also brits use F all the drat time still.

Also, he doesn't "respect" her subjective experience of the weather? gently caress off, guy's a loving douche

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
b
o
t
h

f
a
r
e
n
h
e
i
t

a
n
d

c
e
l
c
i
u
s

a
r
e

e
f
f
e
c
t
i
v
e
l
y

a
r
b
i
t
r
a
r
y

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pick posted:

Also brits use F all the drat time still.

???

Who? I don't think I've had somebody tell me the weather in Fahrenheit once in my entire life. Ever. Not even old people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeza posted:

???

Who? I don't think I've had somebody tell me the weather in Fahrenheit once in my entire life. Ever. Not even old people.

when it's hot

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

You don't expect people to stop using aspects of their dialect even when they move.

If I went to England and was pissed that people were telling me kilometers instead of miles when I asked how far away things were, I would be the rear end in a top hat.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It's not hard to just learn both, you can do rough conversion in your head. Double a temp, cut off a tenth of it, add 32 and you're at Fahrenheit. reverse the process and you have Celsius. If someone gets mad over one or the other calmly explain that both are terrible so who gives a poo poo, and if they really wanted to be correct they'd use kelvin.

Also England needs to sort their poo poo out, the whole mixing metric and imperial units is terrible. Like how do you still use miles and feet and pints when you're a European country.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 13, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

If I went to England and was pissed that people were telling me kilometers instead of miles when I asked how far away things were, I would be the rear end in a top hat.

You'd be the rear end in a top hat because you'd be one expecting other people to change their dialect, so thanks for agreeing with me.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

WampaLord posted:

They still use miles in England.

As someone from the US that lives in England my definitive answer to this is who cares? It's raining outside anyway always and forever.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It's OK we still use miles.

Pick posted:

when it's hot

I think you must be referring to stuff like the expression "it must be a hundred degrees out here". That's just some weird hangover phrase, I bet most people don't even realise it refers to Fahrenheit, they think it's just an exaggeration on Celsius. Never met anybody who still uses Fahrenheit. Most people don't even understand it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

b
o
t
h

f
a
r
e
n
h
e
i
t

a
n
d

c
e
l
c
i
u
s

a
r
e

e
f
f
e
c
t
i
v
e
l
y

a
r
b
i
t
r
a
r
y

^^^ this, people are all "fahrenheit is highly illogical beep boop" and yeah that's why Americans don't use it in science contexts but it doesn't loving matter what number you say it is when you're trying to decide which jacket to wear

WampaLord posted:

She's not the one getting pissed, he is. She's getting pissed at him for getting pissed.

and since they're in England I'm assuming he is also getting pissed on lager while posting

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

can we all agree that 20c is cold, though?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

You'd be the rear end in a top hat because you'd be one expecting other people to change their dialect, so thanks for agreeing with me.

Farenheit isn't dialect, it's a unit of measurement. It's apples and oranges. Me saying "y'all" every now and then is dialect.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

20c is like a nice day. It's room temperature!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

HardDiskD posted:

Jesus don't start this. Goons will start arguing if it's light jacket weather and the humidity and what clothing you should wear depending on exercise level. I've seen it in three different threads with everyone knowing the exact temp is 'chilly' or 'cold'.

I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen a graph on the subject.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Like how frequently and specifically do you even talk about the temperature that you're having constant arguments over the goddamn units. 'It's going to be hot today', crisis loving averted.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Darkhold posted:

Jesus don't start this. Goons will start arguing if it's light jacket weather and the humidity and what clothing you should wear depending on exercise level. I've seen it in three different threads with everyone knowing the exact temp is 'chilly' or 'cold'.

Norwegian goon pushing to the front of the crowd:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!"

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Darkhold posted:

sounds like a great topic for DnD

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

I don't think she's in England.

This is a retarded internet relationship we are dealing with here. Evidence...

quote:

She says reading relationship advice just upsets her now and makes her want to beat me over the compute until whatever 'advice' she's been reading sinks into my brain.

Pretty sure that is just "over the computer" with a missing "r". She is still in the US. Also they are both idiots.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

alright let's pull up then

Me [25 F] with my mom [50F] my mom is very mad and hurt by our wedding portraits. I'm upset that I'm being blamed.

quote:

I got married recently. I had been with my fiance now husband for over 5 years and we waited a long time for our marriage. It was a very special day...it was perfect and we had a blast.

My photographer is one of the best in my state hands down. She took such incredible portraits! After the ceremony while friends ate, family was asked to come take pictures with us. All my family and husband's family came and took pictures with us. My mom didn't stand up. By the time she came up, our photographer wanted to take a break and eat (I did too my blood sugar was starting to drop btw) and rudely asked right in front of my photographer, "DOESN'T SHE KNOW YOU HAVE A MOTHER?" My photographer immediately tried to rectify the situation by taking a few pictures. My mom said ok but wanted to go smoke first.

So I went and ate. We got a few pictures with mom, but not many at all. Truthfully a few pictures were missed...but we were running very late because it snowed and we had to shut it down early because it snowed. Not really. Anyone's fault. My photographer even tried to go take portraits of her and my step-dad later on and I guess my mom refused. The next day, my mom left a scathing review on our photographers page. After all that the photographer had done, this crossed the line. I am very upset she did this because my mom chose not to stand up. If anyone is wondering why she didn't get her pictures done before, it's because she wasn't there. She made a bunch of candy for the wedding and went to set it up herself. Someone else could have set up. Hell,we didn't need any candy. I'd rather of had her with me. I'm really hurt by this.

My mom did so much for me leading up to the wedding to the point that if it wasn't for her, it definitely wouldn't have been the same. I feel really guilty about this. I have offered to buy a family session (by a different photographer btw) and she hasn't replied. I've texted, called, and I've just heard from siblings and my aunt that she's very upset with me. She even has my house key and gifts I got for the ring bearer and flower girl. She left with those things before I even had a chance to realize she was mad at me. I go from feeling like this is my fault to getting angry because this was supposed to be a happy day and it's over. We can't do anything about it now. What do I do to help my mom understand I didn't do this intentionally?

TLDR- My mom didn't stand up when DJ announced to wedding crowd it was family picture time and so she barely got any pictures taken. Very mad at me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit: let's not talk about units of measurement

well why not fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

pull up! pull up!

Marriage what to do ?

quote:

I'm female (24) boyfriend(28) we've been together for five years. His family already sees me as his wife but I want the marriage license.... To him marriage license is just a piece of paper that doesn't hold any importance... I personally want to get married officially...

To him it's as if I'm his wife in his heart... But I want to be known as his wife to the public ..... It's not as if I don't respect his views but if it's just a paper then why not just sign so we can get done with all the family drama that comes along with us living together... We both are Asian and we have a rules on marriage.

I love him and it doesn't matter to me if we get that paper now I can stick it out for some more years and the rest of my life... But I want to know he is committed to me.. not that I don't trust him or his words but that paper was how I viewed marriage all my life .... I want to share his last name and I want to build a family with him . But he is just so strong headed on his views that he isn't open to thinking about this... He told me he wanted to share everything thing with me when I decided to go live with him that he wanted. to me ..... Is this really sharing everything with me If you don't even want to share your name with me .... I'm cool on getting nothing from him if we we're ever to divorce... I don't care about his assets they mean nothing to me! Please tell me you guys view point on marriage license is it just a piece of paper or does it hold importance ?

TL:DR : me (24)f partner (28)m have different views on a marriage license. Just wanted your thoughts on marriage license.

Update:

quote:

Hi I(24)f the last post i did about this situation I was having with my significant other (28)m.

I have received some amazing advice from those who have commented on my post, and I appreciate it a lot. At first I did think about leaving because I felt as if the man I loved disappeared right before my eyes, that he was no longer the man i loved. I decided to talk to him some more about life and how to compromise on the marriage license because we both have very different views.

I needed the papers to feel secured. So after long fights and disagreements for three days, i felt as if i no longer matter to him, and that my feelings were not important. I was then starting to look for a premarital counselor to help us see eye to eye again. I called the counselor up and schedule for an appointment.

I then texted my significant other to come to it and if he doesn't come then We would never solve this problem, and all i wanted was for both of us to be happy.. you can't have a sad person in a relationship because that's when things start to fall and i told him i didn't want us to fall... He showed up crying.... and i just felt as if he really didn't want to come and as if i forced him.. we both went in and across from each other.

The counselor then asked us questions about our relationship. We had the same answers. We were asked about what was our last argument . I looked at my significant other and my eyes started to get watery.... and i had said the marriage licenses. and so we were asked to listen to each other carefully.

He spoke first and had express his fears, and how a marriage licenses does not guarantee a life together.... many of his family ends up in divorce when they have a marriage licenses, and the only ones that lasted was his grandparents. His grandmother is now 76 and married his grandfather (deceased) when he was 18 and she was 14 and they lasted without a marriage licences..... I sat there listening to his insecurities. It was my turn and i had said " My family all have been divorced but I want to be different from them and be the example they were supposed to be for me, i want to be able to show our children( when we have some ) what marriage is. Yes I am afraid of divorce, but I have him and i completely trust in him the most. That there is nothing to fear. Yes everyone is different, but I love him the most. " We continued the conversation for the next hour.... I began to learn that I will continue to love him even if he was jobless, and had nothing, I rediscovered the man i fell in love with. He is the one for me. And he discovered that it isn't just a piece of paper... it's what binds us as a family. We went through two more sessions of counseling and came to a conclusion that we both love each other very much without the license, but that it was more then a paper. it was our rights to allow each other to make decisions when we are on our death beds, allowed me to carry his last name. It was more and it had more meaning now then it ever did. I rediscovered the man i was in love with and he learned how to take in my emotions, my worries and see the bigger picture. we both came to a compromise We will get married in the court there will not be a big ceremony, but a small gathering after we sign marriage papers to announce we are husband and wife. premarital counseling helps so much.

TL;DR : Had different views about marriage license, but went to counseling and was able to compromise and the man of my dreams saw the importance of a marriage license through my tears, my worries, and confidence in our relationship.

Communication saves the day again. :3:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lazorexplosion posted:

Like how frequently and specifically do you even talk about the temperature that you're having constant arguments over the goddamn units. 'It's going to be hot today', crisis loving averted.

he's a sperg

"Recently I told her she should just learn things in normal temperatures and she said she was tired of me bitching about it every time the topic came up."

there's no such thing as normal temperature unless you want to constantly tell your girlfriend she's having incorrect thoughts about how to communicate about weather and needs to change her vile ways

well why not posted:

Exactly how is Celsius arbitrary? It's based off the boiling & freezing points of one of the most common substances on our planet.

this is a good thing for scientific stuff but doesn't really matter when it comes to measures of human comfort. everything above 30c on the celsius scale is "potentially deadly" whereas fahrenheit gives you 120 glorious degrees of subtle distinction. really it's about whatever system you're used to so long as you don't try to assert that your preferences are objectively superior like a horrible nerd

probably boyfriend is one of those infuriating idiots who believes that rationality = more better and will doggedly stick to any sort of petty argument so long as they believe they're being logically correct

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Most of the water on the planet doesn't freeze at 0 or boil at 100 though. It's pretty arbitrary. Kelvin or Rankine for life.

edit: lol i'm part of the problem sorry, this thread moves loving fast when measurement is at stake, leaving this up in shame

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

man marries markov chain generator, news at 11

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Do you guys think a hot dog is a sandwich?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically what it comes down to is that if you're thinking about severing because of the kind of argument that causes a derail in the r/relationships thread you should probably go ahead and loving do it because that's a loving weak-sauce relationship

I can only imagine what the comment thread on that one would have looked like if he hadn't deleted it (this thread, it would have looked like this thread)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if celsius is so good then how come everyone agrees that the nicest temperature is 69 degrees F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

HardDiskD posted:

pull up! pull up!

Marriage what to do ?

Update:

Communication saves the day again. :3:

this one is so sweet it made me tear up at my desk. :3: I'm glad that this couple figured out a solution that made them both happy.
talk to your loved ones and give them a hug!