Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Railgun should be hitscan and charge faster, the time it takes to charge up fully makes it too predictable and the DPS isn't high enough.

I want the baseline damage for the railgun to be midway between the current baseline and the max charge damage, without changing the max charge damage. I feel that would make it solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Skyscraper posted:

Is there a trick to getting people to run over laser tripwires? I don't think I've ever fallen for one, and whenever I use them, people just do what I do and shoot them, but I've seen my teammates run over them so...?

I was messing with zero point tripwire last night and I found it to be really useful in a bunch of scenarios.

You generally should be peeking out from behind cover with Ion anyway, so when someone gets fed up and chases you, drop the mines behind the corner you're ducking in and out of. Plenty of people will run right through without looking. Also, while I realize you generally want to save your electric smoke for pilots trying to rodeo you, dropping it and then putting down mines as you back up works pretty well too. It's especially useful against Ronins when you know their phase dash is on cooldown.

I also like to drop them next to an enemy Titan that just got called in and is still in its bubble. You can often drop it in a spot where they have no choice but to eat the damage, and you'll kill the pilot trying to embark more often than you'd think. It's also just a useful escape tool - if you need to get away, dropping the mines somewhere visible will often get your pursuer to pause and give you the opening to get away, especially if you're running the extra dash.

I had always run entangled energy but honestly, I didn't miss it. I feel like it recharges your energy too slowly given how rarely it makes sense to stand out in the open mag-dumping at enemies with the main gun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ion's primary is projectile instead of hitscan, you're generally engaging from far enough away that reliably getting primary crits isn't doable and energy recharges pretty fast on its own, so Entangled Energy doesn't speed up energy recharge much. On the other hand, Grand Cannon doubles the duration of laser core and makes it go from pretty bad to actually good, so it's a better perk than Entangled Energy.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hulk Krogan posted:

I was messing with zero point tripwire last night and I found it to be really useful in a bunch of scenarios.

You generally should be peeking out from behind cover with Ion anyway, so when someone gets fed up and chases you, drop the mines behind the corner you're ducking in and out of. Plenty of people will run right through without looking. Also, while I realize you generally want to save your electric smoke for pilots trying to rodeo you, dropping it and then putting down mines as you back up works pretty well too. It's especially useful against Ronins when you know their phase dash is on cooldown.

I also like to drop them next to an enemy Titan that just got called in and is still in its bubble. You can often drop it in a spot where they have no choice but to eat the damage, and you'll kill the pilot trying to embark more often than you'd think. It's also just a useful escape tool - if you need to get away, dropping the mines somewhere visible will often get your pursuer to pause and give you the opening to get away, especially if you're running the extra dash.

I had always run entangled energy but honestly, I didn't miss it. I feel like it recharges your energy too slowly given how rarely it makes sense to stand out in the open mag-dumping at enemies with the main gun.

Ah, those are some good tips, thanks!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Phew, I've read this thread from start to finish over the past week or so. Really enjoying this game and bought it on a whim because giant robots. I'm currently having a lot of fun with the Volt and stim basically running full bore around everywhere murdering people with pew pew lasers.

I've noticed pilot vs pilot on Angel City turns into a rooftop campfest which is p.boring.

I started off playing Ion who I got used to once I realised that laser = op then switched to play Northstar because railgun and then Tone mainly because he didn't seem to have any real weaknesses. I need to give Scorch a proper go now though, I feel like bouncing barrels of explosive around should be pretty fun.

Also how many PS4 players are there in the UK in here?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

FYI people have tested it and getting hit by every missile in the Flight Core's barrage doesn't kill Legion or Scorch.

It's not a very good core - especially for the Stryder frame - and I don't understand how the designers at Respawn can design a weird, non-synergistic Titan like Northstar and a complete synergy monster like Tone (who is not, as some poster said, "the vanilla Titan" but in fact has some of the best poo poo in the game) and say "hmmmm yes these are both relatively equal"

It's really weird because the only two things that vibe with Northstar is the hover and the cluster missile, only because you can get a good angle to fire one onto rooftops and murder pilots or hit Titans with it who are taking cover. I mean, what good is the hover otherwise? It just makes you a giant target for Titans and Pilots alike, you can't even fully charge the railgun during a hover, and there's so many invisible walls in the maps preventing you from flying over buildings so it's not even a viable escape. You're also stuck in the hover animation without anyway to cut it off early in-case you hover in an area that blocks you in. Oh, and some places on maps are in the "out of bounds" range with the hover even though you're clearly still in the loving map.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I want the baseline damage for the railgun to be midway between the current baseline and the max charge damage, without changing the max charge damage. I feel that would make it solid.

What's the current damage for an uncharged shot? I haven't noticed how low it is. Also, they should allow Northstar to fire off all of the shots as fast as possible so you have a sort of Titan revolver for dealing with pilots and at least getting some decent damage in if someone's in your face. Northstar is the only Titan that's completely hosed if someone's right on your rear end because you can't do anything if someone's right up to you. Everyone is going to do more damage than you and you have no defensive options other than to hover which is easy to follow.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Here's a tip: when fighting Legion as Ion, aim all reflected shots between their feet rather than straight at them because splash damage is far more damaging than a direct hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6qmygy9wJQ

Also, vortex amplifier only affects legion & pilot hitscan bullets. It doesn't do anything with other titan attacks or pilot weapons like the kraber.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm amazed Northstar doesn't have some kind of kit that makes the primary gun hitscan. Seems like a slam-dunk.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

koren posted:

Also, vortex amplifier only affects legion & pilot hitscan bullets. It doesn't do anything with other titan attacks or pilot weapons like the kraber.

Seriously?!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Yes, tested them all in LTS mode where feasible. Don't know about cores like salvo or northstar's cluster missile. Here's a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1At8FBFcTGFiFPFDDpn6XwVVv5JS09q_pLCEqzLE_Vsw/pubhtml

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

although I still think Scorch could do with having two shots per magazine in his thermite launcher.

This would make me the happiest little Pilot in all the realm.

I know that the thermite launcher isn't even supposed to be the most dangerous source of damage from Scorch, but it feels pretty drat ineffective against both pilots and titans. It's really only great for mopping up grunts.

What can the flame shield absorb and what can't it absorb? Sometimes I feel like I'm using it but still taking damage from the front. Do lazers go through it? What else?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Wildfire Launcher kit could give it a second shot.

There, now there's actually a reason to take something beyond Enhanced Fire Shield.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Scorch's gas canisters should get the laser guide thingy you get from the grenade recharge perk as a pilot.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hulk Krogan posted:

Scorch's gas canisters should get the laser guide thingy you get from the grenade recharge perk as a pilot.

Grenade perk gives you the Softball sight? That's handy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Wildfire Launcher kit could give it a second shot.

There, now there's actually a reason to take something beyond Enhanced Fire Shield.

If Wildfire Launcher kit did that, I'd take it in a second. Even the non-enhanced flame shield can put out a lot of damage.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
If plasma railgun was hitscan northstar would be super broken.

Don't get me wrong, northstar needs something, but that would hugely swing the balance off from under powered to hugely over powered.

I wish everyone would realize just how good cloak and satchels are against titans :(

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Finally got my own copy from the PS store as it's on sale here at the moment, looking forward to dropping some robot turds

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I wish they'd allow assists to contribute to anti-titan weapon leveling. It took all weekend to level my thunderbolt from 2 to 4 because I needed finishing blows for it to count.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

If plasma railgun was hitscan northstar would be super broken.

Don't get me wrong, northstar needs something, but that would hugely swing the balance off from under powered to hugely over powered.

I wish everyone would realize just how good cloak and satchels are against titans :(

Turn down the damage then. The point is to give it more consistency.

And I know how good they are! I listen.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Northstar is the only Titan that's completely hosed if someone's right on your rear end because you can't do anything if someone's right up to you. Everyone is going to do more damage than you and you have no defensive options other than to hover which is easy to follow.

Turn around and run away. You don't need a special ability, you have the fastest titan legs and the best dashes. Throw down a tether thingy, if they're close. Northstar rewards map awareness and cowardice. He's good at sniping and punching pilots, not fair fights.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I wish they'd allow assists to contribute to anti-titan weapon leveling. It took all weekend to level my thunderbolt from 2 to 4 because I needed finishing blows for it to count.

That's new with the Angel City patch. It will be "addressed" by Respawn, but "addressed" isn't necessarily "fixed".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've noticed pilot vs pilot on Angel City turns into a rooftop campfest which is p.boring.

Weird, on PC it's my favourite map because of how fluid and survivable you can be on it, jumping from roof to roop, ducking inside for cover and then through a window to grab an enemy Titan's battery. I'm probably airborne more on AC than not.

Admittedly this is all on Attrition...

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they just ported all of TF1's maps to 2, no need to even do any work on 'em.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

runchild posted:

Bonus! my proudest moment in Titanfall 2 so far:

:getin:

These are always great.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

when will a 90s-style anime be made of this game because i would sincerely be way onto that

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I don't know why I had never noticed this before, but frag grenades and phase shift have a pretty strong synergy. You can start cooking a frag while phase shifted and toss it out right when you come back into normal space. Really crazy effective for me so far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

when will a 90s-style anime be made of this game because i would sincerely be way onto that

70s gundam Titanfall, with everyone wearing bell bottoms.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Wang posted:

You have the best gifs Wazzit :allears:

he's the hero of the thread. Of all threads, really

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

If you really have to the double take is prob the best imo

Kraber is really hard to land hits
Having gotten all the snipers to gen 2 the DMR is the best imo, similar damage profile to the Double Take but hitscan. Combine with the A Wall if you want to be an rear end in a top hat. If you really want to use a sniper though my personal pick is the Kraber because it's the most fun of the bunch and super satisfying to land shots with it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ion's primary is projectile instead of hitscan, you're generally engaging from far enough away that reliably getting primary crits isn't doable and energy recharges pretty fast on its own, so Entangled Energy doesn't speed up energy recharge much. On the other hand, Grand Cannon doubles the duration of laser core and makes it go from pretty bad to actually good, so it's a better perk than Entangled Energy.
I've pretty much run Grand Cannon since I've gotten it because I love laser core but I really disagree with this. I've never really had that much issue landing crits at range (I don't really bother aiming at the crit spots, just spraying at the other titan's general crit areas and enough land) and I still miss the amount of energy you get back from Entangled Energy. There was a noticeable amount of time difference for me in how much I could spam laser shot with and without Entangled Energy.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The kraber isn't meant to be used as an actual sniper rifle. You're supposed to use it like a hosed up shotgun and just quickscope people with it. It was my most used weapon in the first game by far with nearly 14 days playtime. It's not as good in this game because of the lack of the AOG scope which let you keep your peripheral vision.

https://gfycat.com/HealthyLiquidChafer

God I miss that scope. It's still fun to use though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

...has this three shot burst always been available for Tone? I feel like it might be worth ditching my enhanced particle wall.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It didn't change the game much for me. Sure, if you get the drop on someone you get that first missile salvo faster. It takes as much time to load those three shots as it does to just fire them so it does nothing for you in a sustained fight. I switched back to the extra missiles after one game. Then I played more Scorch and Ion because they're more fun for me anyway.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Inspector Hound posted:

...has this three shot burst always been available for Tone? I feel like it might be worth ditching my enhanced particle wall.
No, they added in a week or two back in the first content patch.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

The kraber isn't meant to be used as an actual sniper rifle. You're supposed to use it like a hosed up shotgun and just quickscope people with it. It was my most used weapon in the first game by far with nearly 14 days playtime. It's not as good in this game because of the lack of the AOG scope which let you keep your peripheral vision.

I like how your last kill the guy starts jumping as he's shot so he just spazs out instead.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Inspector Hound posted:

I am on console and I like it. Mainly for air shotting guys because it's just a bit harder to be precise with a controller on a guy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

StringOfLetters posted:

Turn around and run away. You don't need a special ability, you have the fastest titan legs and the best dashes. Throw down a tether thingy, if they're close. Northstar rewards map awareness and cowardice. He's good at sniping and punching pilots, not fair fights.

In that situation you're going to be in a doomed state by the time you find somewhere safe and if you're up against a Ronin, you're dead. Also Tone and Legion are going to gun your rear end down by the time you round a corner because they're both better snipers than Northstar.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell, Ion is probably a better sniper than Northstar...

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Mordja posted:

Weird, on PC it's my favourite map because of how fluid and survivable you can be on it, jumping from roof to roop, ducking inside for cover and then through a window to grab an enemy Titan's battery. I'm probably airborne more on AC than not.

Admittedly this is all on Attrition...

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they just ported all of TF1's maps to 2, no need to even do any work on 'em.

my best angel city attrition game so far was when i took grapple and a lmg, then just went up to the top of that tower in the centre of the map and plinked at people for the first half of the game

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

That gif makes me miss the general weapon aesthetic from TF1. It's kinda hard for me to explain but in TF2 the weapon designs are a bit more sleek and future-y compared to the first game and I don't enjoy looking at them as much. :(

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

There's nothing more satisfying than hearing that distinct, devotion rev up noise and seeing an orange wall of crap up in the corner of your eye, hitting phase shift, appearing infront of the window camper and just punching him in his stupid face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Insert name here posted:

That gif makes me miss the general weapon aesthetic from TF1. It's kinda hard for me to explain but in TF2 the weapon designs are a bit more sleek and future-y compared to the first game and I don't enjoy looking at them as much. :(

Sorry, I can't hear you over the Alternator being the best designed SMG in gaming history. :smug: