Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, ABXY. If I remember right it was..

CTRL - A
Shift - B
/ - X
. - Y
;/' - L/R
Return - Start
\ - Select
Arrow keys - d-pad

I had a brain fart and forgot there exists a shift and ctrl on the right side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

fishmech posted:

Depends on your battery type really. Alkalines last a lot longer in it than cheap zinc-carbon/zinc-chloride batteries (often sold as "heavy duty" but they're only heavy duty in comparison to batteries from like 1910). Not just to the amount you'd expect because alkalines naturally hold more charge, but also because the power draw level on the device is really too high for those cheap batteries to handle well.

Sounds like your parents paid the extra for alkalines, which in the end probably cost less because they'd burn out a lot slower in the Game Gear.

I can't remember what video it was from, but

"Ah, Heavy Duty batteries: the lightest of duty battery on the market."

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Updated my Everdrive 64 V2 cart with the latest pack after not having done so for two years. poo poo's changed.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 13, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Replaced the crappy Qanba stick with a Sanwa JLF 4-way

My goal is to get to the donkey kong kill screen in 2017.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

man why does MAME still come with bilinear filtering on by default

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ranter posted:

Replaced the crappy Qanba stick with a Sanwa JLF 4-way

My goal is to get to the donkey kong kill screen in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGphfksi3I

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Updated my Everdrive 64 V2 cart with the latest pack after not having done so for two years. poo poo's changed.
"All right." really made this screenshot for me. Like, I didn't laugh at "NOOB City BUTT Mayor." until my eyes instinctively darted back up to "All right."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

Why in the gently caress does everything do this by default, it looks hideous

Retroarch, Broglia's android emulators...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

d0s posted:

I fixed it. It's very pretty now.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ranter posted:

I fixed it. It's very pretty now.

The filtering on FPSE for Android is kinda useful because otherwise text looks weird. Might be because its a wee phone I spent 30 bucks on. But its still less of a dirty smear of vaseline than the N64 had. On the upside when I turn frame limiter off I get 150-160 FPS on PS1 games. It looks nice unless you are a MUST HAVE ALL TEH PIXELS type. But you can have pixels but then text looks funny. Unless I am doing something wrong. (Well besides Retrogaming in specific and gaming in general mind you but I don't want to much think that path. My Zoloft aint strong enough.)

I'll take a well done basic filtering to have proper looking text than some of those 2SaiEagle type interpolation thingamajobbers. They make poo poo look bad. Except for pure 3d/vector games which they can sometimes be good. Unless they have text on the screen and then it stops being good in small ways. Also I don't get the whole scanlines thing some people insist on. Especially emulated ones. Most of us never really were that aware of scanlines on our TVs honestly. RF interference? Yeah that was a right pain and ungodly bad if you had a TV/Game switch and VHF screws and even worse a non cable ready TV and that goddamned ohm converter thing. Scanlines? Not really.

Course back then I even thought the Game Gear's screen was a marvel so time and technology makes things we were once cool with annoying now.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

univbee posted:

If all he wants is to smoke a Tecmo Bowl, go to your nearest closet and pull out the OG Wii stuffed in there, and get component cables for it online if needed. Pick up Tecmo Bowl for 500 Wii Points because those are still a thing, or softmod it. As a bonus, if he really wants a true NES controller you can just get one of the ones intended for the NES Classic once they stopped being scalped for triple digits and it'll work there. This is in all likelihood your least expensive solution, not to mention dead simple (and difficult to break in exotic ways), and gives you wireless controllers which work very reliably.

NB: Tecmo Bowl on VC cuts out the player names due to not wanting to renew the NFLPA license.

But as long as you remember Bo Jackson's number you should be good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I won't play a WonderSwan emulator unless it has a filter that just makes it look like absolute blurry vomit trash.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What's with the 3ds virtual console release of game gear columns? It's so blurry! Are all the GG games like that on the VC?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of Tecmo Bowl, it makes me happy inside to see those Kia commercials during football games now which reference it, and the unstoppability of Bo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYT0vS4Z2d4

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RZA Encryption posted:

What's with the 3ds virtual console release of game gear columns? It's so blurry! Are all the GG games like that on the VC?

There's a blur setting that's on by default.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

I won't play a WonderSwan emulator unless it has a filter that just makes it look like absolute blurry vomit trash.

I use a WonderSwan Crystal what is this blurry vomit trash you speak of? :smuggo:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RZA Encryption posted:

It's emulating the original screen, and probably pretty accurately.

Also speaking of terrible filters, GG games don't look right without the vertical scanlines.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You might need new caps on that guy. The picture is supposed to be uniformly bad.

Edit: Of course, I was looking past the obvious watermark.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

My Zoloft aint strong enough.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Get-Out posted:

2 hours sounds really low, I had a Game Gear as a kid and it would last entire 4+ hour car rides no problem.

It is really funny to think you're paying over a dollar an hour to play Game Gear.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The rechargeable battery pack got me pretty far back in the day.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
Got my SCART cables from retrogamingcables yesterday. Plugged them into my PVM, turned on Super Metroid, tears of nostalgic joy.

Which is funny because there's no way in hell it looked this good when I played it as a kid, but it feels so faithful to that experience and what I remember it looking like.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BrownClown posted:

Got my SCART cables from retrogamingcables yesterday. Plugged them into my PVM, turned on Super Metroid, tears of nostalgic joy.

Which is funny because there's no way in hell it looked this good when I played it as a kid, but it feels so faithful to that experience and what I remember it looking like.

Because as a kid it looked perfect :)

You just didn't notice things like dot crawl back then. So now that you do, them not being there is just like when you were a kid :)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a blur setting that's on by default.

Neat that you can turn it off. Looks awful.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's emulating the original screen, and probably pretty accurately.

Also speaking of terrible filters, GG games don't look right without the vertical scanlines.

I haven't had a working Game Gear in decades. I didn't remember it looking bad, in fact, I remember being amazed with it, probably because of
vvvv

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You just didn't notice things like dot crawl back then. So now that you do, them not being there is just like when you were a kid :)

And yeah, that thing ate batteries like mad. Once my parents found out my Genesis 2's power adapter worked with it, my portable became a lot less portable.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

And yeah, that thing ate batteries like mad. Once my parents found out my Genesis 2's power adapter worked with it, my portable became a lot less portable.

I was lucky and had a car adapter for my Nomad, so I could at least play it in the car. Don't recall using batteries more than a handful of times because of how fast that sucker burned through them.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

Yup, I think you're right. Having nothing to compare it against (like HD consoles and TVs) at the time, would have meant a lot of those imperfections just went unseen to me.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

It is really funny to think you're paying over a dollar an hour to play Game Gear.

What was really funny was trying to get my parents to buy me new batteries all the time. When my rich friend gave me his old brick Gameboy and his rechargeable external battery-pill-thing was the day I went Nintendo and never looked back.

At least until I bought a Saturn cause the Saturn owns.

edit:

BrownClown posted:

I got my cables in yesterday too and my favorite results were with my 32-bit systems. My 8-bit stuff looks almost too perfect so it's throwing me off a little bit.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Why did you quote me then write all that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Why does the Game Gear have vertical scanlines, anyway?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How necessary are things like heatsinks for the Raspberry Pi 3 when using it for retropie? I'd like to try it for 16-bit emulation but I'd like to keep the price of entry low in case I end up having problems with it like I have every other time I've tried to rig any kind of TV emulation box that wasn't just an old PC. On the other hand, I don't want to skip extra hardware for it if that's what makes it usable for this purpose.

Most of the all-in-one kits that have a case, heatsinks, SD card, power supply, etc. are up there in the $70 to $80 range which is a lot of money I could put toward something else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have nothing but the base Pi 3 for my Retropie and have never had an issue. You would probably need a heatsink if you wanted to overclock it for N64 or later stuff but anything from PS1 down works fine without any of that stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DoctorWhat posted:

Why does the Game Gear have vertical scanlines, anyway?

Most low res color LCDs work that way, they're not really scanlines. You're just seeing the relatively large sub-pixels for each of red, green and blue, and the relatively large space between them to cover the screen area.

The Game Gear and Game Boy Color have the same 160x144 resolution, but the Game Gear LCD is physically 3.2 inches diagonally versus 2.3 inches. So you'd see sort of the same thing if you zoomed in on a GBC, though not as much because the Game Gear's backlight helps to highlight the effect.

RichterIX posted:

How necessary are things like heatsinks for the Raspberry Pi 3 when using it for retropie? I'd like to try it for 16-bit emulation but I'd like to keep the price of entry low in case I end up having problems with it like I have every other time I've tried to rig any kind of TV emulation box that wasn't just an old PC. On the other hand, I don't want to skip extra hardware for it if that's what makes it usable for this purpose.

Most of the all-in-one kits that have a case, heatsinks, SD card, power supply, etc. are up there in the $70 to $80 range which is a lot of money I could put toward something else.

You don't really need heatsinks, but since you can get packets of them for like $5 it doesn't hurt to do it.

As a reminder though, a used laptop from like 2011 would work even better for emulation (a lot better really) and would barely cost more than a rapberry pi with cases and all that poo poo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

You just didn't notice things like dot crawl back then.

I did, just didn't know it was a thing. In some caves in DQ2, due to the dot crawl it would sometimes give the illusion that the floor is scrolling along with you at high speed. Or the weird jagged edges on parts of the text boxes. I rented Darius Twin SNES and was pretty miffed that I couldn't read the score in the first stage (red text on a blue background, this doesn't work well using RF or composite).

I'm the weird idiot that insists on using bilinear since I scale using non-integers to fill my desktop (still constrained to 4:3 of course, I'm not that retarded :v:) and I can't stand the resulting non-uniform objects that would otherwise be displayed. Like so:

CRTs didn't have perfectly square pixels, anyway, that's probably why MAME has it on by default. You can also reduce the blur by bumping up the prescale setting. At least on BizHawk, using 2x is quite an improvement.

No prescale:

2x prescale:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Stop doing non-integer scaling and play in a goddamn window/with borders like an adult.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for the retropie advice. Maybe I will just hunt the pawn shops for a cheap old i3 laptop or something. The tiny-ness of the Pi is appealing but I've been burned on other little media boxes that ended up not working well before.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop doing non-integer scaling and play on a goddamn PVM like a king.

Fixed this for you.

RichterIX posted:

Thanks for the retropie advice. Maybe I will just hunt the pawn shops for a cheap old i3 laptop or something. The tiny-ness of the Pi is appealing but I've been burned on other little media boxes that ended up not working well before.

Pi are really only good for retrogaming if you want to work it into a little project or portable unit. If that's what your after it will work really well for stuff up to about PS1, but might have trouble running more complicated PS1 games.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

Fixed this for you.

I mean, yeah, but non-integer scaling is exactly as bad as stretching to the wrong aspect ratio and so many people don't GET that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Non integer scaling + scanlines gives me a really nice look on my TV - juuuuuuust soft enough to feel like I'm playing on an old TV over S-Video or something. Don't care if it perfectly accurate, I'm playing to enjoy the game, not create a exact replica of my childhood.

EDIT: Also you're pants-on-head crazy if you think non-integer upscaling is as bad as wrong aspect ratio.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I don't know what to do with some of y'all. Therefore I will distract myself.

Bonus : zallard1, me and SRK Funkdoc streaming from Twitch during ASX. Stupid audio delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of Tecmo Bowl, it makes me happy inside to see those Kia commercials during football games now which reference it, and the unstoppability of Bo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYT0vS4Z2d4

This is amazing. Just like the others in the comments section, I'm trading in my car for a Kia thanks to this commercial.

• Locked thread