Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
so never use hail of dude ever again ok thanks got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Coolguye posted:

so never use hail of dude ever again ok thanks got it

Freudian slip...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i said what i meant to say

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Every single game I've tried to join on Hard (I'm still fairly low-level with bad gear) has been the same thing: Horn of Magnus, just past the gate event, with half the team already dead as I load in. Are pubs just really bad at this game or is it like Diablo 3 and all the actual competent players are on a higher difficulty level and only the dregs play Normal/Hard?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You are both getting unlucky and also generally below the difficulty where good players are, yes.

Generally hard has at least passable players though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If anyone here ever played Resident Evil 5's Mercenaries mode, Public Assembly was the most played map for the same reasons Magnus is: approachable, simple, fun, takes place in the city. I always start every Vermintide session by running it. It's just that kind of map :v:

Now if only there was a way to keep Lv.5 players from joining Cataclysm games on White Rat...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pierson posted:

Every single game I've tried to join on Hard (I'm still fairly low-level with bad gear) has been the same thing: Horn of Magnus, just past the gate event, with half the team already dead as I load in. Are pubs just really bad at this game or is it like Diablo 3 and all the actual competent players are on a higher difficulty level and only the dregs play Normal/Hard?

In addition to what Digirat said, you are in the doldrums of the game right now. It's a very good game but suffers a lot from play-for-20-hours-to-unlock-Fun syndrome and tbf I probably wouldn't have stuck it out without a buddy barreling ahead in the progression and assuring me again and again that it gets better. Once you get some blues or oranges with healing mods on them (and also unlock the quest board) its a whale of a time. Just focus on unlocking all the maps on all difficulties for right now, soon enough you'll hit a threshold where you get gear upon gear upon gear while also learning the deceptively nuanced flow of the game and then solo carrying a half dead team on Hard is a relaxing warmup to a festive evening of rat murder on the actual difficulties.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm gonna get my first red today :kiddo:

It's the big sword for the elf and I got an orange hagbane the other day, its me, i'm gonna be That Pubbie :gonk:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

No, being that pubbie is sitting with your back to a corner and throwing Bolt Staff charge attacks into the sky or shooting the Trueflight Longbow into a crowd and also never meleeing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lunethex posted:

shooting the Trueflight Longbow into a crowd and also never meleeing

Hey man, when I've got bloodlust, hail of doom and I forget what the third perk is, there's not much need to swing my swords anymore :colbert:

Also I'd kill a man to get a for-fun 2h weapon for Kruber by this point, every time I join a game my usual dudes (Bardin/Saltzpyre) are taken and I run with Kruber since he's also cool, but all I've ever gotten for him is an orange mace+shield with good stuff/good rolls on it, but man I wanna run up there and chop rats in half too!

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 13, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That other pubbie is the sub fifty that doesn't understand hagbane friendly fire is an aoe

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm gonna get my first red today :kiddo:

It's the big sword for the elf and I got an orange hagbane the other day, its me, i'm gonna be That Pubbie :gonk:
Pro-tip Guide to Being a Good Elf:
Step One - Melee

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Step One - be Teclis

FTFY

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Safety Factor posted:

Step One - Play anyone but the Elf

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yardbomb posted:

Hey man, when I've got bloodlust, hail of doom and I forget what the third perk is, there's not much need to swing my swords anymore :colbert:

Also I'd kill a man to get a for-fun 2h weapon for Kruber by this point, every time I join a game my usual dudes (Bardin/Saltzpyre) are taken and I run with Kruber since he's also cool, but all I've ever gotten for him is an orange mace+shield with good stuff/good rolls on it, but man I wanna run up there and chop rats in half too!

2h hammer is super good and a nice change of pace from sord and bord.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still a proponent of the one handed kruber mace being incredible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That other pubbie is the sub fifty that doesn't understand hagbane friendly fire is an aoe

I've actually met more than a few <50 players who are considerably better than 200+ ones who split up for no reason, run ahead, and abandon the players in the back, when everyone has a book so the stakes are high.

Yesterday I was in the back with a gas cloud cutting me off from the rest, the player in the middle was downed, and the two players in front (who I expected to get her up since she was right there) just looked at her before turning around and continuing to move forward, so she died before I could get there. What the gently caress?

There's some point where a lot of players think they're hot poo poo and start running ahead on their own even more than newbies do. Running far ahead of the group is useless poo poo because the rats loving run faster than you so you have to kill them, you will have to wait for the players in the back to catch up anyway so it's not saving any time, and you're making it take even longer for them to catch up because they will take longer to kill the rats in the back without your help, as well as being more likely to take damage. This is without even considering specials and assuming that you never take a hit yourself.

On junk like man the ramparts where the stakes are low, it doesn't really matter, but on longer levels with books, it gets really goddamn frustrating.

Optimistic Puma
Aug 7, 2007
Where did the seagulls take my sister?
Should I use keyboard and mouse over a controller?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Optimistic Puma posted:

Should I use keyboard and mouse over a controller?

100% yes, it's a game where swinging around real quick is mandatory.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

yeah good habits are never learned by some people. But I expect most to pick up quick on a character screaming about friendly fire each time you shoot the guys in front of him, also he died after the rats died

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Digirat posted:

I've actually met more than a few <50 players who are considerably better than 200+ ones who split up for no reason, run ahead, and abandon the players in the back, when everyone has a book so the stakes are high.

Yesterday I was in the back with a gas cloud cutting me off from the rest, the player in the middle was downed, and the two players in front (who I expected to get her up since she was right there) just looked at her before turning around and continuing to move forward, so she died before I could get there. What the gently caress?

There's some point where a lot of players think they're hot poo poo and start running ahead on their own even more than newbies do. Running far ahead of the group is useless poo poo because the rats loving run faster than you so you have to kill them, you will have to wait for the players in the back to catch up anyway so it's not saving any time, and you're making it take even longer for them to catch up because they will take longer to kill the rats in the back without your help, as well as being more likely to take damage. This is without even considering specials and assuming that you never take a hit yourself.

On junk like man the ramparts where the stakes are low, it doesn't really matter, but on longer levels with books, it gets really goddamn frustrating.

This morning I watched two people watch someone on the ground die. They looked at him, pressed E for a second, then left him. I didn't really know what to say. I was too far away and also holding a horde back. By the time I turned around and saw him lying there at at least 20% of the red bar left, they ran away and he bled out before I made it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

yeah good habits are never learned by some people. But I expect most to pick up quick on a character screaming about friendly fire each time you shoot the guys in front of him, also he died after the rats died

My complaint was more that many people unlearn their good habits once they think they're pros, but yeah I have seen a few baffling cases of people needing to have the whole friendly fire thing spelled out for them even after napalming the team and hearing every character scream SIGMAR'S BREATH, NOT ME

The game should spell out the specifics of FF better because it is not intuitive to only apply to 2 difficulties and only on some attacks, but the characters make it pretty obvious that it's there.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What is it about level 100+ witch hunters with overwrought clan tags that makes them so universally cancerous to an otherwise affable team doing their best.

You have a tome, a grim, you have red health and he's holding the only medkit at yellow? gently caress you scrub get good *uses on himself*

vvv most recently soldier so something something appropriating resources for sigmar or whatever, but drat if Superstar WH clanners are not a point of persistent misery. At least the elves kill poo poo proportional to their nuisance!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 13, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Were you playing as a filthy witch?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

First I've heard of Superstar Saltzpyres.

Ravaged Bodies sounds like a band he'd be part of though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lunethex posted:

First I've heard of Superstar Saltzpyres.

Ravaged Bodies sounds like a band he'd be part of though.

Volkmar's Teeth has one hell of a lute player, I'll give them that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

My complaint was more that many people unlearn their good habits once they think they're pros, but yeah I have seen a few baffling cases of people needing to have the whole friendly fire thing spelled out for them even after napalming the team and hearing every character scream SIGMAR'S BREATH, NOT ME

The game should spell out the specifics of FF better because it is not intuitive to only apply to 2 difficulties and only on some attacks, but the characters make it pretty obvious that it's there.

There will come a day when I am not constantly shot in the back by elves and wizards, but it has not been any past day and will probably not be today.

"It doesn't do much damage!", they cry.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I do notice from time to time that I will be playing a game and people join in and do exactly as Digirat described and keep shooting me over and over, but only once did it get so bad that I had to say something. There was a dwarf who joined the game whose sole contribution for his first five minutes was shooting everyone else in the back with the Crossbow.

Then one time a level 8 joined the game as Kruber with his blunderbuss. Somebody shared a strength potion. Guess which end of the best teamkilling weapon I found myself on when we were corralling a patrol?

Interestingly enough, that is the only time I've ever been teamkilled.

Also, did you know that the Skaven devour everything in their path?

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Lunethex posted:

Also, did you know that the Skaven devour everything in their path?

This favors the Skaven, I have read about it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I got that red elf sword that was on the quest board a little while ago. I... don't like it that much. Its traits are scavenger (20% on kill), killing blow on normal attacks (15%), and regrowth on charged attacks (10% chance to recover 5 health on hit). If the regrowth was on normal attacks I think it'd be pretty good/usable or maybe the weapon is just suffering because it's a one-handed sword pre-whatever Fat Shark is doing to them in the next patch. I don't play the elf much, but I think I prefer sword and dagger even though mine are blue. Killing blow can trigger through armor though, right?

Really though, it's all moot because the elf doesn't have a two-handed hammer. Kruber4Lyfe. Bardin too.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Killing Blow is the only thing good about that Sword. And that it won't ever appear on the loot ladder again while you have it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I just looked up Kruber's red two-handed hammer.
Swift Slaying (Normal Attack)
Perfect Balance
Scavenger

:wtc:

I already have Bardin's two-handed hammer and it's solid if nothing particularly great. Kruber's is loving terrible.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Holy poo poo, I just looked up Kruber's red two-handed hammer.
Swift Slaying (Normal Attack)
Perfect Balance
Scavenger

:wtc:

I already have Bardin's two-handed hammer and it's solid if nothing particularly great. Kruber's is loving terrible.

That one's good to pair with a blunderbuss. It also has a little crown on it!

A blunderbuss with Bloodlust, Hail of Doom, Rupture

or Bloodlust, Hail of Doom, Master Crafted works really drat well with that one. Used to be my primary Kruber setup. Then I got into the 1h Mace.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I got super lucky with a dice roll and now have a red sword and dagger for the elf. Is it worth using? The traits seem quite good.

Also can anyone explain why the 2 handed axe for bardin isn't considered very good?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Pumpking posted:

I got super lucky with a dice roll and now have a red sword and dagger for the elf. Is it worth using? The traits seem quite good.

Never use any other weapon again. It is the #1 weapon in the game until the Warpick comes out.

Pumpking posted:

Also can anyone explain why the 2 handed axe for bardin isn't considered very good?

It's great, but most people default to the Axe & Shield or Hammer and don't give it any time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Safety Factor posted:

So I got that red elf sword that was on the quest board a little while ago. I... don't like it that much. Its traits are scavenger (20% on kill), killing blow on normal attacks (15%), and regrowth on charged attacks (10% chance to recover 5 health on hit). If the regrowth was on normal attacks I think it'd be pretty good/usable or maybe the weapon is just suffering because it's a one-handed sword pre-whatever Fat Shark is doing to them in the next patch. I don't play the elf much, but I think I prefer sword and dagger even though mine are blue. Killing blow can trigger through armor though, right?

Really though, it's all moot because the elf doesn't have a two-handed hammer. Kruber4Lyfe. Bardin too.

I have one with Devblow, Killing Normal, Regrowth Normal and I like it, but until the patch the Singlesword is simply worse than the sword and dagger.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What am I not getting about elf, besides of course Never Play Elf? Is the hagbane swift bow just an insanely lovely weapon?

Like: oh thank god, a ranged weapon that friendly fires in an AoE while also not killing clanrats in one hit.

Is elf like bright wizard where any practical Doing Stuff utility is tied up with the trueflight ranged option?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Hagbane will remain the #1 ranged option for the Elf.

Sign in Goonintide and I'll take you on a guided tour.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm about to do some last minute errands but I'll be on later tonight when that's done and I am no longer buttmad at definitely just throwing two easy rear end NM runs in a row as Kerillian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The hagbane does kill clan rats in one hit after poison, and does ridiculous DPS that can singlehandedly kill roger in under 10 seconds with a strength potion. It's quite overpowered. Its downside is that it's the single most dangerous weapon in the game for friendly fire, making it stressful to use, which puts it in the unfortunate rank of "best but unfun."

The greataxe has an extremely slow recovery, hits a max of 4 targets per swing, and has 2 shields so have fun trying to CC with that. However its damage to those 4 targets is big so if you can manage to get one with both bloodlust and perfect balance, and have teammates around to help with CC, it absolutely slaughters. And its stamina among other things is about to be buffed, so it's going to go from a good option to a great one.

• Locked thread