Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hadn't realised Edinburgh Trams were likely to be extended down Leath, but apparently, that's part of the reason Leith Walk is currently being dug up. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I rather like the trams now they're here and it would be handy to have a stop near me.

They already dug up Leith Walk for the trams in 2008-9, from what I remember most of the utilities have been moved out of the way of the tracks or moved deeper so the trams won't destroy the ducts. Then again that is long enough ago that some company will have appeared and buried something too close to the surface, just enough to cause you many more years of delays as they try to get Edinburgh to pay to have it moved. GL.

edit: because I was thinking about it again: The original plan had airport-->Princes street and a ring back via Leith Walk and Ocean Terminal and out to Clermiston and back out to the airport via the Gogar depot (where the trams go to sleep) and there was also a plan for a later extension down the way of Edinburgh uni's king's buildings, or in the vicinity of them anyway.

In fact, how many different areas have they dug up this time? I remember it being maximum 7 open sites at once across the entire route, for maximum annoyage...

Budgie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

The data on how every school in Scotland is doing on reading, writing and numeracy is now available here. Don't worry, they've taken every possible measure to stop league tables from being made.

They put a message on the home page telling you not to make one.

:ughh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baronvonsabre posted:

The data on how every school in Scotland is doing on reading, writing and numeracy is now available here. Don't worry, they've taken every possible measure to stop league tables from being made.

They put a message on the home page telling you not to make one.

:ughh:

The Scottish Government really are bewildering sometimes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hadn't realised Edinburgh Trams were likely to be extended down Leath, but apparently, that's part of the reason Leith Walk is currently being dug up. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I rather like the trams now they're here and it would be handy to have a stop near me.

The trams are awesome. I live near one of the stops and use it for the airport or for getting into town all the time.

There's just less thinking required overall due to its linearity. Like I've been here 5 years and still have to Google which bus to get anywhere, even down to leith.

On top of that the traffic lights seem calibrated to it so it gets through princes street faster. Seeing as they go at a fixed speed (as far as I'm aware) they'd be a lot more efficient too in terms of traffic congestion along the city centre if they were the only things going along it. It would be good to get one running along each trunk road through the city. Like up over the bridges to the very southern end of the city, and maybe one going down Lothian Road too.

Any disruption on clerk Street and Newington would kick up a ridiculous amount of fuss though.

The amount of nimbyism going on for the cycle path in murrayfield is ridiculous.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

forkboy84 posted:

The Scottish Government really are bewildering sometimes.

URL is also the word 'tableau'

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sion posted:

URL is also the word 'tableau'

That's the name of the software they are using, still ironic

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Rebranded PFI still a crap idea. Who could've guessed?. Rather weirdly, it doesn't mention the SNP once, not even to ask for comment.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Well, looks like the SNP are taking their first tentative bite of the bullet; gotta give them credit for doing it, I suppose: https://www.ft.com/content/3a97dbe6-c2ed-11e6-9bca-2b93a6856354

quote:

Wealthier taxpayers in Scotland will pay more tax than their counterparts elsewhere in the UK when the Scottish government exercises its powers over income tax for the first time next year.
The budget, unveiled on Thursday by Derek Mackay, Scottish finance secretary, marked a historic moment in the devolution of powers from the UK that began with the creation of the Scottish parliament in 1999. Mr Mackay billed his plans for income tax as shielding lower and middle-income taxpayers while rejecting “tax cuts for the rich” pursued by the UK government.
But his plans drew immediate fire from both ends of the political spectrum in a foretaste of what are likely to be intense negotiations between the Scottish National party’s minority government and opposition parties.
The Scottish Conservatives, the largest opposition group, complained that exercise of the powers granted after the 2014 independence referendum would make Scotland the “highest-taxed part of the UK”. For their part, Scottish Labour, the Greens and Lib Dems criticised Mr Mackay’s relatively modest income tax tweaks, saying he should be doing more to fund education and essential services just as the UK government tightens funding.
In a conciliatory move, Mr Mackay abandoned plans to directly assign to schools more than £100m that will be raised by an increase in council tax on more valuable homes. The policy was opposed by all opposition parties as an affront to the principle of local autonomy.
Mr Mackay said the Scottish government had decided to give councils full control of the extra funds and would instead itself allocate £120m to address educational inequality in schools.
Mr Mackay stuck close to SNP pre-election plans, maintaining the 45 per cent UK top rate of income tax (while expressing “sympathy” for those who wanted it increased). However, he declined to match UK government plans to raise the threshold for the 40 per cent higher rate of income tax to £45,000 next year and £50,000 by 2020.
It's only an itty bitty little bite, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just thinking this morning about the oft repeated nationalist threat that the Scottish government could 'call a second referendum'.

Any such referendum would have to have the backing of Westminster to have any legitimacy, but if Holyrood didn't get it and attempted to hold one anyway, would they be able to compel local authorities - only a few of which are run by the SNP - to take part?

Without the polling stations and vote counters I'm not sure how such a poll would be possible.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

Just thinking this morning about the oft repeated nationalist threat that the Scottish government could 'call a second referendum'.

I assume this is how you spend every morning

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Angepain posted:

I assume this is how you spend every morning

At least during his private time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Scottish government should just make the next referendum a 'retweet for yes like for no' Twitter poll.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Without the polling stations and vote counters I'm not sure how such a poll would be possible.

Perhaps they could seek advice from their major donor Brian Souter? After all, he has experience organising a Scotland -wide poll that eschewed polling stations.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/syrian-baker-who-fled-war-now-serving-pastries-in-east-lothian-1-4324419

Not everything is bad :unsmith:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Andy Murray has received a Knighthood and many nationalists are not happy about it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Andy Murray has received a Knighthood and many nationalists are not happy about it.

how do they feel about Alexander McEwen's knighthood?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are we independent yet?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Scottish Leave voters are looking forward to independence from the EU.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Happy 2017 Scotgoons. Lang may yer lum reek and all that.

EDIT: Ooooh, happy postiversary to me!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Acaila posted:

Happy 2017 Scotgoons. Lang may yer lum reek and all that.

EDIT: Ooooh, happy postiversary to me!

hah scots isnt a real language u nerd

(Happy new year ;) )

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does anybody want to talk about baby boxes? Or the latest independence preference polling data?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Does anybody want to talk about baby boxes? Or the latest independence preference polling data?

I like the idea of baby boxes (although slightly sad that i missed out on them like I did with the baby bonds - my baby timing was rubbish). What would be even better would be putting the child benefit forms in them too and kicking Bounty out of maternity wards. Or just kicking Bounty out of maternity wards and giving new parents child benefit forms at any of the other times people see them. They could just have a big pile of them on the desk - whatever.

(For people who don't frequent maternity units Bounty is a company that give out free samples and try and get you to buy photos of your baby. They also give you your child benefit forms and can make new mums - who have probably been through a fairly sleep deprived and painful 24 hours - feel obliged to hand over personal information that they use for marketing as well as spending money on fancy photos because of the legitimacy that providing government forms gives them.)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Baby boxes are fine but are bizarrely celebrated despite just being a box with some stuff in it and doing nothing to combat issues such as child poverty and the attainment gap, i.e. things that actually matter. Labour's response has been woefully inadequate and appears just to be "there should be some more stuff in the boxes".

I've not seen the new polling data but I'm going to predict it, right here, in front of your very eyes: nothing has changed and No is still in a large lead. Nothing that has happened since 2014 has brought people into the independence campaign. Whenever anybody switches from No to Yes, somebody else (like myself) switches from Yes to No.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Pissflaps posted:

Baby boxes good. Independence polling data bad.

More substantively, baby boxes are a neat little cheap policy idea and Labour's response to it shows why they are on the way to polling single digits. Independence support won't change until a new approach is taken by Sturgeon. Or the EU suddenly starts being a lot more accommodating to an Independent Scotland's membership post-brexit. I don't see either happening.

At this point (unless something changes dramatically) there needs to be a development of a solid 20-30 year strategy concerning independence, based around a separate Scottish currency and membership of EFTA. 20-30 years is the arbitrary time I give the SNP to sell both of these ideas to the electorate in a way that wins majority support. But i'm an ultra-gradualist which is a dying breed in the party and it's hard to expect a lot of the new-converts to accept such a long-term strategy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah the baby boxes seem harmless and might do some good for some people - I think Labour were ill advised to come out against them in any way. It looks terrible regardless of the merits of what was said.

The poem that's going to accompany them, however, is execrable.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

What's the polling data now?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
54.5% No.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14997280.Majority_of_Scots_oppose_second_independence_vote_in_2017__poll_shows/

Pretty standard stuff. No desire for a referendum this year and support for independence is the same as it was 2 years ago.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The Graun: Universal basic income trials being considered in Scotland

This is encouraging.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Can it even be called 'universal' anymore when you've restricted it down to one council area?

I'm willing to bet right now that whatever the council comes up with won't even be for everyone in the city, and won't be a basic income you could live off of. UBI will continue to be a pipe dream.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How could a council even provide UBI?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

cargohills posted:

Baby boxes are fine but are bizarrely celebrated despite just being a box with some stuff in it and doing nothing to combat issues such as child poverty and the attainment gap, i.e. things that actually matter. Labour's response has been woefully inadequate and appears just to be "there should be some more stuff in the boxes".

I've not seen the new polling data but I'm going to predict it, right here, in front of your very eyes: nothing has changed and No is still in a large lead. Nothing that has happened since 2014 has brought people into the independence campaign. Whenever anybody switches from No to Yes, somebody else (like myself) switches from Yes to No.

Apparently they've been very effective in Finland at reducing the child poverty rate substantially, so maybe they do have an inherent effect.

Polling is irrelevant until Article 50 and/or Brexit moves forwards in any substantial way.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How do baby boxes reduce child poverty? Are they filled with cash?

Coohoolin posted:

Polling is irrelevant until Article 50 and/or Brexit moves forwards in any substantial way.

Bollocks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's bollocks that the bad things predicted have to occur before real change in opinions?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Why? Even with the pound dropping people are still in for Brexit right now because nothing bad has really happened. When they start privatizing the NHS Sturgeon should try again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's bollocks that polling only matters at an arbitrary point in time.

Fiction posted:

Why? Even with the pound dropping people are still in for Brexit right now because nothing bad has really happened. When they start privatizing the NHS Sturgeon should try again.

The NHS is devolved, and we're referring to Scottish independence polling.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

It's bollocks that polling only matters at an arbitrary point in time.

That's a ridiculous stance. Polling results are a snapshot of the public opinion. If something major has happened of course it will effect the poll results. What "matter of time" it is is extremely important.

You are claiming that it's not important to compare a poll before a possible economic collapse with one after.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I really like the idea but the more I read about the people in politics championing UBI, the more suspicious that they are just trying to poison the well. £100 a week? Hmmm, scrap JSA, housing benefit, council tax assistance, and just give everyone a lump sum which sounds like more than JSA but is much less than the combined benefits. It's potential disastrous for people who will simply no longer be able to afford both the rent & keeping the electricity on and having enough money to eat healthily.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

That's a ridiculous stance. Polling results are a snapshot of the public opinion. If something major has happened of course it will effect the poll results. What "matter of time" it is is extremely important.

Something major has happened. Support for independence remains static.

What's bollocks is deciding that a current snapshot of public opinion somehow doesn't matter because you hope that the snapshot will be different at some point in the future.

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are claiming that it's not important to compare a poll before a possible economic collapse with one after.

No I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
the only way you could think that is if you think brexit won't cause economic recession, which, lol