Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There is drop rate food?? wtf

I think it's the Mother Daughter Bowl? I'm at work so I can't check. But I learned it Lestallum by walking by a table where some lady was eating, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Sell treasures and you'll be rich

I usually only sell treasures if I have a ton of them, and keep at least 1-2 because I don't know if I'm going to need them or ever find them again (except debased/rare coins, those things are getting more common now it feels like)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Levantine posted:

I think it's the Mother Daughter Bowl? I'm at work so I can't check. But I learned it Lestallum by walking by a table where some lady was eating, I think.

That's a 50% drop increase food, but supposedly you can DISCOVER A NEW RESSPEE by wandering about the same area late in the game and get a 100% drop increase food.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shoren posted:

That's a 50% drop increase food, but supposedly you can DISCOVER A NEW RESSPEE by wandering about the same area late in the game and get a 100% drop increase food.

How late? I just started chapter 13 but I'm more than happy to go back and do it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Chapter 14 Noctis in the alt costume is probably the furthest the series will ever get from the stereotypical JRPG character aesthetic.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Levantine posted:

How late? I just started chapter 13 but I'm more than happy to go back and do it.

Haven't confirmed it myself, but if you can't find it by where you're at then it's post-game. I'd recommend just powering through to the end from where you are now and don't worry about it for the time being.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nina posted:

I actually don't mind c13. It reminds me a lot of Nier.

All it needs is sprinting

That whole section felt like it heavily referenced Nier, and the combat in general is close enough as well save for the teleporting.

I joked with a friend while doing the end of the game that it basically pulled a reverse XIII on the player, going from an open zone to a narrow focused series of levels. After the constant whining over how hurt people were that XIII didn't provide the illusion of choice (because when there's nothing to do outside of the main progression it doesn't really matter that you can go anywhere you want anyway) I can't blame them for focusing on the open world aspects for XV. /ffxiii rant

In a way since Prompto's a result of the demon machine, couldn't he have ended up another Kaine story? That would leave Ignis as Weiss which is fine, Gladiolus as Nier, Prompto as Emil lol.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Liver Disaster posted:

In a way since Prompto's a result of the demon machine, couldn't he have ended up another Kaine story? That would leave Ignis as Weiss which is fine, Gladiolus as Nier, Prompto as Emil lol.

Prompto's definitely Emil if anything both are basically magical child soldiers created as weapons tagging along a pretty 20-something protagonist (in the Japanese version at least). All that's missing is the crush. Or is it?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch, but how is the game? What games is it most like?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I usually only sell treasures if I have a ton of them, and keep at least 1-2 because I don't know if I'm going to need them or ever find them again (except debased/rare coins, those things are getting more common now it feels like)

Those are the catalyst for expericast by the way. And as far as money, just do hunts.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nina posted:

Prompto's definitely Emil if anything both are basically magical child soldiers created as weapons tagging along a pretty 20-something protagonist (in the Japanese version at least). All that's missing is the crush. Or is it?

The crush is implied, the overwhelming power is sadly missing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Patrick Spens posted:

I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch, but how is the game? What games is it most like?

I'd say it's awesome, but everybody digs different stuff. If you enjoy exploring running around the world, getting into lots of fights with beasts etc, a fun vibe, you'll probably dig this. If say you enjoyed stuff like Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc. It's like a mix of some classic JRPG style elements (FF7, Tales of Symphonia etc) but comparable to those more recent RPGs in that you're wandering around a detailed world with a lot of trees and desert etc, getting into lots of action fights there, fetching things etc.

Then there are some more linear story parts in the last third of the game. In general, if you like the combat and you enjoy that feel of going around doing straightforward quests on a cool open world, this is a well done version of that kinda thing. But ultimately, every game feels a bit different, I'd recommend this to most fans of action RPGs.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 13, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Liver Disaster posted:

One of the journals in chapter 13 mentioned that the MTs were damaged by sunlight, which is why they are clad head to two in armor. If Prompto is supposed to be one of them somehow, how is he able to be out in the daylight

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Prompto demon thing is hands down the worst plot point in the entire game imo, as somebody who's defended basically everything else people complain about with this game's story except how edited down and rushed the execution is

I considered the possibility that Ardyn lied to him to brainwash him, giving him the ability to open the doors because he wanted Noctis to reach the crystal anyway, but why would you do that instead of just having the elevator mysteriously work and a throwaway "weird, why is this unlocked"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd say it's awesome, but everybody digs different stuff. If you enjoy exploring running around the world, getting into lots of fights with beasts etc, a fun vibe, you'll probably dig this. If say you enjoyed stuff like Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc. It's like a mix of some classic JRPG style elements (FF7, Tales of Symphonia etc) but comparable to those more recent RPGs in that you're wandering around a detailed world with a lot of trees and desert etc, getting into lots of action fights there, fetching things etc.

Then there are some more linear story parts in the last third of the game. In general, if you like the combat and you enjoy that feel of going around doing straightforward quests on a cool open world, this is a well done version of that kinda thing. But ultimately, every game feels a bit different, I'd recommend this to most fans of action RPGs.

Not sure if you can answer this, but is the fighting more like Dragons's Dogma (which I liked) or (DA: Inquisition) which I couldn't be bothered to finish.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Patrick Spens posted:

Not sure if you can answer this, but is the fighting more like Dragons's Dogma (which I liked) or (DA: Inquisition) which I couldn't be bothered to finish.

It's really not like either of those. If you want a good answer I'd watch a YouTube video.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

It's not really like either. The closest comparison is something more like Kingdom Hearts but more JRPG-y. Combat is action-based but mostly focused around automated attacks (literally button-holding-with-direction) with your focus being on positioning or simple combos. It's certainly nowhere as polished as an action game as Dragon's Dogma.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Patrick Spens posted:

It's more it's own thing, it's actiony and fun with a lock on button, holding a button to dodge stuff, warping around, fancy looking combos, etc. Checking out some videos might give you an idea of the feel, or trying a demo. I love the feel of it more than these other games myself.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Almost every complaint about how lovely some of the bros story beats are can basically be explained with "DLC". It's obvious from the DLC names and it's exceptionally obvious for every single one of them in-game.

Gladio suddenly has to leave and do a secretive thing and comes back with a scar on his face? Guess what we're doing in the Gladio DLC!

Ignis is gone in Altissia and when you meet up again he's blinded? I wonder what we're gonna do in the Ignis DLC!

Promptos sudden and rather meaningless reveal (at least for the main FFXV storyline)? I'm assuming this will be "fleshed out" in his DLC! I suppose Promptos DLC could also be him be a badass demon hunter in the World of Ruin tho I highly doubt that.

I'm not saying the complaints and everything aren't valid, because I think they're very valid and made me go "what?" just as much as everyone else. But it's really not hard to see that it's all in favor of the DLC stuff that's coming. It's done in a very hamfisted way but it was so painfully obvious to me when I got to those points I couldn't even be mad about it. Just made me go "welp I guess I know where this guys DLC is happening!"

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Khisanth Magus posted:

One of the journals in chapter 13 mentioned that the MTs were damaged by sunlight, which is why they are clad head to two in armor. If Prompto is supposed to be one of them somehow, how is he able to be out in the daylight

Maybe Prompto was the prototype being worked on before everyone involved got murdered by the combat type MTs.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Aaaaactually, any of those Coin items can be used in elemancy to make Expericast spells, which will increase the XP rewarded by any monsters you hit with it. Don't sell them, it's OP. Go forth and get 20k XP from a Red Giant.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I wish it wasn't the case but it's obvious that you aren't allowed to just fly to any point on the map because wide swaths are just empty and barren. FFXV has an open world in it but so many sections have been gated off by cliffs or rocks or invisible walls because there's nothing to see or do in them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Is there a guide to postgame stuff out there? I hear there's plenty and I wouldn't wanna miss anything

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Nina posted:

Is there a guide to postgame stuff out there? I hear there's plenty and I wouldn't wanna miss anything

New hunts, 3 questlines: the flying regalia, the menace dungeons (sealed doors) and one rewarding weapons, plus of course finishing out NPC questlines (Sania, Vyv, Dave, Naymath's fishing challenges). Oh and the "secret" not so secret platforming dungeon.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Nina posted:

Not sure of any guides but you can google for any of the following and should find some write-ups:

Finish Armiger Weapons
Get the Airship
There are 12 normal dungeons and 1 hidden dungeon to do
That 1 hidden dungeon is a Noctis-only puzzle-dungeon and requires the Airship
After you complete the 12 normal dungeons you can get a key to unlock 8 more dungeons(those doors inside some of the dungeons that you've undoubtedly seen)
Endgame hunts will start appearing. There are a gently caress ton of hunts, you'll unlock more with Rank and by completing every hunt that a location offers
Adamantoise(technically a hunt)
Ultimate Weapons quest line. Talk to a guy in NorthEastIsh Lestallum. A scrawny old blacksmith in the back of a big staircase
Totomostro monster arena
Cid's Upgrade-able weapon poo poo
Farm carrots to exchange for more upgrade-able weapons. I think you can get 5 from these.

I'm sure there's more but that's what comes to mind.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

I got it post-game. you get it in the exact same way as the Mother and Child bowl, it's called the Papa Bird and Baby Bowl, 100% droprate, 40% experience, 1000 HP.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bushiz posted:

I got it post-game. you get it in the exact same way as the Mother and Child bowl, it's called the Papa Bird and Baby Bowl, 100% droprate, 40% experience, 1000 HP.

Badass, I'll power through tonight then.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
When does the Vesperpool area get unlocked? I have several quests locked in there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

When does the Vesperpool area get unlocked? I have several quests locked in there.

Chapter 7

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

kaempfer0080 posted:

Farm carrots to exchange for more upgrade-able weapons. I think you can get 5 from these.

Speaking of this can you ever farm more than 4 carrots at a time? Or is the farm one of the things obviously unfinished?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nina posted:

Chapter 14 Noctis in the alt costume is probably the furthest the series will ever get from the stereotypical JRPG character aesthetic.

Wish you could keep the suit without the cape you wear in the Ardyn fight.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:frogsiren: DO NOT FAST TRAVEL AWAY FROM THE VESPERPOOL DURING THIS SECTION :frogsiren:

It can bug your save.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I guess I should get most of the 99 point skills before worrying about the 333 and 999 ones right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've just been buying skills based on how many AP I have when I bother to check what I can get

It's probably not very efficient but I'll have to save up for everything at some point anyways so :shrug: Might do the AP trick while watching basketball tonight though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

IcePhoenix posted:

I've just been buying skills based on how many AP I have when I bother to check what I can get

It's probably not very efficient but I'll have to save up for everything at some point anyways so :shrug: Might do the AP trick while watching basketball tonight though.

What trick is this? I farm by warp blasting/whistling enemies near hammerhead, but only if Im at like 60 and want to get to 99 before I start another quest. Id love some better grinding action for endgame

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone have a good group shot of the party in their end/postgame outfits? Can't seem to find one at all.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

What trick is this? I farm by warp blasting/whistling enemies near hammerhead, but only if Im at like 60 and want to get to 99 before I start another quest. Id love some better grinding action for endgame

Blow the whistle in that area and warpstrike with Shield of the Just for AOE. Try to avoid letting the battle music kick in. OF course you could just mute the game, but I liked having the MP3 player going while character voices were turend down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bombadilillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwrXgqyIQmg

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

That looks...exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khisanth Magus posted:

That looks...exciting.

Yeah, there's a reason I'm not doing it without something else to pay attention to.

• Locked thread