Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Moola posted:

AoS is a good game with deep strategic depth

Moola posted:

if the end result is getting sigmar models then VERY hosed!

We get it you don't like AoS, wanna go vomit in another thread now? You aren't even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

SRM posted:

If Stormcast had more traditionally knightly helmets I would like them a lot more. The deathmasks just aren't appealing to me, I don't even like them on Blood Angels. There's that one squad with some third party headswaps that looks like footmen from Warcraft but the only image I can find isn't loading so I can't post it here. Those guys look great.

This right here. I mostly hate the heads.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LumberingTroll posted:

We get it you don't like AoS, wanna go vomit in another thread now? You aren't even funny.

Actually his post about taking a force of terrain was pretty good.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

LumberingTroll posted:

moola thinks that aos is very good, actually

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
AoS sounds like the type of game I'd be interested in if the force sizes weren't so large, since people in stores might actually be playing it.

I always wanted to try out GW's Lord of the Rings, but I wasn't really near any wargamers at the time. It looked like my kinda jam.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Kilazar posted:

This right here. I mostly hate the heads.

I think the best stormcast I've seen done was an army painted to look like Terracotta warriors

Pvt.Scott posted:

AoS sounds like the type of game I'd be interested in if the force sizes weren't so large, since people in stores might actually be playing it.

I always wanted to try out GW's Lord of the Rings, but I wasn't really near any wargamers at the time. It looked like my kinda jam.

We've been playing 500-1000 points here for the last few weeks, had a recent influx of new people which is really nice to see.

Lord of the rings was pretty awesome, their mass battle system was a lot of fun too.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

moola thinks that aos is very good, actually

that's because it is good fren

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm getting the Nigmo battlebox for christmas v stoked.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LumberingTroll posted:

The ignore feature is a p good one, just throwing that out there.

Pvt.Scott posted:

AoS doesn't need to have a huge force, you can get away just fine with a Start Collecting box worth of stuff. I'm only playing games with a high model count because I have an army of lovely Empire guys in pyjamas who cost like 8 points a piece and not point-hungry guys like Ironjawz, Ogres, or Sigmar's Gilded Babymen.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

The ignore feature is a p good one, just throwing that out there.

Very rude, the amount of times I've told you how much I like your models :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

Very rude, the amount of times I've told you how much I like your models :(

Sorry man, I like your posts in the unspiration thread and your delicious brownie bases, but I think shitposting is just really boring and doesn't add anything.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Adding some Daemons to my Bloodbound army and wanted to get a tester done for the Bloodletters to see how quickly I could get a decent job done. Pretty happy with the outcome for a couple of hours of work.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

Sorry man, I like your posts in the unspiration thread and your delicious brownie bases, but I think shitposting is just really boring and doesn't add anything.

Well someones not getting brownie bases for christmas...

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fuegan posted:

Adding some Daemons to my Bloodbound army and wanted to get a tester done for the Bloodletters to see how quickly I could get a decent job done. Pretty happy with the outcome for a couple of hours of work.

Nice work dude, particularly like the work on the tongue, looks disgustingly slimy. The skin really pops as well, really good stuff if you're doing them for efficiency.

Been working (slowly, oh so slowly) on some Daemonettes and a Titsnake Daemonic Mount for a small Slaanesh Warband. They're not done (banner/base and golds) but I'm really pleased with how the skin turned out, paler skin-tones are a bit of a struggle for me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fuegan posted:

that blending is real good

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Excuse me as I shout SISTERS OF TWILIGHT and ELF LORD ON GREAT STAG 'til my lungs bleed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fuegan posted:

Looking good! What do you have in mind for the base?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Black_Nexus posted:

Lord of the rings was pretty awesome, their mass battle system was a lot of fun too.

Somehow in a thread about AoS this manages to be the worst opinion of all. War of the Ring is a terrible system that died on release because it took a good set of rules and then poo poo mercilessly on them.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Going to do the Seraphon for my 4 year old son to start getting him into the hobby. For myself I was thinking Demons of Khorne.

From a points/organized standpoint, how are the demons of Khorne? Not looking to wreck face, but also don't want to chain lose due to a weak army.

I will be getting the start collecting boxes for both armies soon. Unless DoK suck and I have to pick a different army.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kilazar posted:

Going to do the Seraphon for my 4 year old son to start getting him into the hobby. For myself I was thinking Demons of Khorne.

From a points/organized standpoint, how are the demons of Khorne? Not looking to wreck face, but also don't want to chain lose due to a weak army.

I will be getting the start collecting boxes for both armies soon. Unless DoK suck and I have to pick a different army.

DoK are pretty sweet and are a decent choice for a starter army.

Out of the four flavours of Daemon, DoK are the hardest hitting in melee and they're decently survivable. You've also got a lot of support from Mortal Khorne units that can effect your Daemons and they've gotten the most love model-wise.

The Collecting box's formation ain't half bad either, letting one unit in the formation Pile In and attack for free during your Hero Phase as long as they're near the Herald.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fuegan posted:

That looks great! What formula did you use?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SteelMentor posted:

Excuse me as I shout SISTERS OF TWILIGHT and ELF LORD ON GREAT STAG 'til my lungs bleed.

are they taking requests of "a game i want to use my games workshop miniatures in that isn't garbage" or will that get scrubbed from the page?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Do Squats still get you banned? Request those.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
"The Old World"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would like a Mordheim remake

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Moola posted:

I would like a Mordheim remake

What would you even keep from the original? The skulls, I presume.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Cheers for the kind words, all.

SRM posted:

Looking good! What do you have in mind for the base?

I've gone for a grey ash, Realm of Fire type look. Works quite well to allow the red of the daemons and the flesh tones of the mortals pop.

GreenMarine posted:

That looks great! What formula did you use?

Mephiston Red spray, washed with the crimson shade, reapply mephiston then wild rider red for layers, highlight with squig orange, glaze with bloodletter, highlight the spotty bits with troll slayer orange. The horns are just black over the mephiston red base and used a couple of coats of bloodletter then a few coats of nuln oil + medium to make a glaze and blend across the join. Sounds more time consuming than it actually is. Tongue was screamer pink, washed crimson, reapply screamer, highlight with pink horror, then do another wash over the highlight edges to blend it together.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

What would you even keep from the original? The skulls, I presume.

skulls are good

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Weird round of batch painting this month had me painting 10 Ironsides Handgunners, an Empire Engineer, and a Warrior Priest. Glad they all had a fairly similar color palette! Not happy with the faces on the Ironsides though; the helmets and the angles, plus my brush crapping out really made the faces look pretty poor. I really like how the priest came out though. Anyway, here's my hams:

The Engineer:

They call him Two Hammers Mcree, on account of his two hammers:

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Those are some nice pyjamas.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

SRM posted:

The Engineer:

:eyepop:

Some crazy detail on that dude.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SRM posted:

is just really boring and doesn't add anything.

but enough about age of sigmar

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

SRM posted:

Awesome poo poo.

Great work as always dude, love how clean and crisp you paint your mans.

Had a thought about the Lord Kroak/Balewind combo. Obviously it's a little on the busted side, but other than trying your best to ignore him the best counters I could think of would be-

-Mass ranged spam, obviously not feasible for every faction but any Aelves/Freeguild/Ironwield/Bonespitterz army could pincushion him.

-Destruction players could take the Warlord Trait that lets them break Terrain and mob Kroak while his Balewind's turned off.

It's a toughy to be sure, could see the Balewind getting a FAQ nerf. Perhaps someone bring it up on the AoS FB page as a suggestion.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i wish moola had told me warhammer was bad when i was a kid...

SteelMentor posted:

Had a thought about the Lord Kroak/Balewind combo. Obviously it's a little on the busted side, but other than trying your best to ignore him the best counters I could think of would be-

-Mass ranged spam, obviously not feasible for every faction but any Aelves/Freeguild/Ironwield/Bonespitterz army could pincushion him.

-Destruction players could take the Warlord Trait that lets them break Terrain and mob Kroak while his Balewind's turned off.

It's a toughy to be sure, could see the Balewind getting a FAQ nerf. Perhaps someone bring it up on the AoS FB page as a suggestion.

Have you guys just tried not being WAAC players? Geez!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Warhammer is good

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Necromunda is great.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pvt.Scott posted:

Necromunda is great.

It was cool in the 90s but it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny with modern design in mind. Deadzone is much better at being a game.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

So i just leafed through the GH again and it reads like if my army has an allegiance other than the one of the big four I can't benefit from the grand alliance bonuses (general gear + special rule)? This seems really dumb and poo poo when a) allegiances are all subordinate to grand alliances anyway and b) don't have any equivalent bonuses of their own apart from getting a different battle line unit??

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Saint Drogo posted:

So i just leafed through the GH again and it reads like if my army has an allegiance other than the one of the big four I can't benefit from the grand alliance bonuses (general gear + special rule)? This seems really dumb and poo poo when a) allegiances are all subordinate to grand alliances anyway and b) don't have any equivalent bonuses of their own apart from getting a different battle line unit??

Perhaps they will correct this in the 2017 edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
As it is written in the GHB the Battle Traits are specific to an Allegiance. If you pick Beastclaw Raiders allegiance then you cannot take Destruction battle trait. However they put an errata on facebook saying you can take whatever traits/artifacts/spells you qualify for no matter what allegiance you pick, so for example if you pick Seraphon allegiance you can still use the Order Battle Trait.

Command Traits and Artifacts can be used by any hero from the proper grand alliance, they are not specific to allegiance.

SteelMentor posted:

Ranged is the obvious solution but you need a truly disgusting amount of shots in range to get through a 2+ rerollable save with -1 to hit and forced rerolls on artillery fire. If you are within shooting range then odds are you are about to get charged by the rest of Kroaks army, or will get counter-shot by Bastiladons and Razordons.

The Destruction battle trait requires your general and at least 5 other models within 6", and it is a Hero phase ability which means you can't move first. It's certainly possible, but the Kroak player can play around it by having a large screen that denies that space, or simply tie up your general in melee with something like Chameleon Skinks so you never get near the Vortex.

I have seen one effective counter so far: Use Warp Lightning Cannons to carve a path and then deep strike 3+ squads of Stormfiends with Doomflayer Gauntlets. It can kill Kroak but then quickly loses to the other ~1400 points that Seraphon brought on the board. because you just took the majority of your army and stuck it into melee with the entire enemy force.

I think it needs to be nerfed through an FAQ that forbids special characters from using scenery with special rules. Special characters already can't take Command Traits and Artifacts so it's not that big of a stretch.

Pawl fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 14, 2016

• Locked thread