Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

hooah posted:

What do you mean no templates? If you're looking for something to just tweak, check out facerepo.com. There's also a Pujie Google+ community.

Oh man I am an idiot, I should have searched around before saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Ashex posted:

I haven't really found a critical use for a smartwatch.

IMO, you're probably not going to find one. I mean, I use my smartwatch every day, but it's certainly just a luxury and a cool toy and doesn't even come close to approaching the necessary-ness that my smartphone does.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've said multiple times that dictated reminders is a critical use, for me personally.

If the next generation focuses on fitness and gets high quality sensors, a lot of people will probably find that useful.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Quick incoming text and email glances aren't critical but I sure do miss them whenever I forget to wear my watch.

Also telling time is nice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Quick incoming text and email glances aren't critical but I sure do miss them whenever I forget to wear my watch.

For me the killer app is Our Groceries, it really makes shopping so easy. Navigation in Maps is also so great.

Android is so notification-centric that simply having notifications mirrored and visible without having to bring out my phone makes it all worthwhile. I guess if you're the kind of person who just lets notifications pile up then you'd get a lot of less utility out of it than someone who acts on and clears every notification as they arrive.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I actually moved away from android wear and I'm now using a simple smartband that only tells the time, shows notifications and has a vibration alarm, which is all I really need from a watch. Its battery lasts around 20 days, it's very small and light and does its job just fine. I wish bigger companies would scale down the features, not up.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

nerdz posted:

I actually moved away from android wear and I'm now using a simple smartband that only tells the time, shows notifications and has a vibration alarm, which is all I really need from a watch. Its battery lasts around 20 days, it's very small and light and does its job just fine. I wish bigger companies would scale down the features, not up.

Which one do you use?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

Which one do you use?

i5 plus, found in most cheap rear end chinese sites (it costs $15!). It can take notifications from any ios/android app, so I even coded some running apps that can send stuff like running distance and time to it. I can make it output anything I want, and when you see it as a auxiliary info display for when you can't or don't want to take out your cellphone, it's rather useful.

I actually did some shopping around to see if I could get anything better from major brands and they either come up short or have very very low battery life compared to it. The ones most similar to it are Sony's SmartBand Talk SWR30 or Garmin Vivosmart series, both ridiculously more expensive, but fit the bill of a minimalist band.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm not wearing my Moto 360 this week and I've just realized how conditioned I became to getting a vibrate a half-second after my phone beeped.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You use a smartwatch but don't put your phone on silent? Monster

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

You use a smartwatch but don't put your phone on silent? Monster

On a stick, no less.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Sorta figured out notifications with light flow, it's actually pretty handy since you have granular control of how the notification is pushed to the smartwatch.

Spent the night at the girlfriends place and didn't have the charger, I just turned it off overnight then disabled always on. It's still alive at 13%, I'd say it meets advertised battery life.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Looks like Google is warming up a new ad campaign for Wear:
https://magicminute.withgoogle.com/push-a-minute-to-the-limit

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Rastor posted:

Looks like Google is warming up a new ad campaign for Wear:
https://magicminute.withgoogle.com/push-a-minute-to-the-limit

Maybe they should have proofed that first. I mean literally the first sentence has "awesomecan" in it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Android Authority ZW3 review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_2LdLKcF8

edit: Video is wrong, it's not the best display - LG Watch Urbane Second Edition is 480x480 at the same size (348ppi). Although certainly good enough.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 9, 2016

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

wrist gestures are actually very useful when you're wearing gloves. Was doing an intensive cleaning last night so I had to wear rubber gloves, was getting messages from the girlfriend and needed to respond, due to gestures I was able to dictate messages. voice recognition portion is a bit flaky as if you don't start speaking immediately it tries to process the captured silence and fails after 30 seconds.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've come home to Android, and I'm looking at Android Wear watch used now that many of them are at reasonable price - namely the second gen Moto 360 and the Huawei Watch. Are they worth it for basic notification and time telling functions at ~$150? Or are they buggy, short-battery-life pieces of garbage still?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've come home to Android, and I'm looking at Android Wear watch used now that many of them are at reasonable price - namely the second gen Moto 360 and the Huawei Watch. Are they worth it for basic notification and time telling functions at ~$150? Or are they buggy, short-battery-life pieces of garbage still?

I love my 360/2 and have never had the battery come in at less than 50% after a day's use.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

I love my 360/2 and have never had the battery come in at less than 50% after a day's use.

Likewise with the HWatch. Basically if you forget to charge it for a night you'll probably be fine unless you're using it heavily. In just short of a year I've run out of battery once out of the dozen or so times I've left it off the charger (or misaligned it) overnight.

Notifications alone make it worth every penny in my opinion, I'm happy with my purchase at $249 and would be all over it at $150. We'll see what happens with AW2.0 but at $150 I think even without another update I'd be happy with the current state of Android Wear.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Notifications alone make it worth every penny in my opinion, I'm happy with my purchase at $249 and would be all over it at $150. We'll see what happens with AW2.0 but at $150 I think even without another update I'd be happy with the current state of Android Wear.

Basically this. I'm kind of apprehensive about AW2 just because I'm so happy with the way it works right now. I'm completely satisfied with it as it is having paid $300 or whatever it was.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Putting in another positive vote for the HWatch. Got one for my wife a couple months ago and it's been rock solid. Battery life's great (she uses always-on, and can generally get two days out of it), and the only time it's acted strangely it just needed a hard reboot from the power button.

Android Wear as a platform is honestly pretty mature and functional. I'm still using an original LG G Watch, and haven't really felt the need to move up. It'd be NICE to have a speaker, wifi, and maybe LTE, but not mandatory at all. This thing is 2.5 years old, getting consistent, daily use, and I STILL get at least 48 hours out of the battery. I've gotten 72 in a real stretch, but I generally charge it sooner than I need to anyway. The worst bug I've encountered is one where some app goes into a presumably infinite loop and spikes the CPU to 100%, causing the watch to get hot and burn battery quickly, which can only be solved by a reboot, and I honestly don't consider that a big deal because that could happen on literally any computing platform in the world.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Voting for my HWatch, works great with my iPhone (I miss my Sony Z5 :'( ) although I'm dreaming of 2.0 giving me app support...

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

People keep talking about how amazing IFTTT is so I tried it out. I setup one action for giving me previews of pictures I take but the lag is ridiculous, is this normal?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashex posted:

People keep talking about how amazing IFTTT is so I tried it out. I setup one action for giving me previews of pictures I take but the lag is ridiculous, is this normal?

I haven't really messed around with IFTTT but isn't it basically a service for connecting various cloud APIs to each other?

If I'm understanding what you've done correctly you're taking a picture on your phone, the IFTTT app recognizes this and uploads it to the internet (or it's uploaded by some other app and that notifies IFTTT) which then downloads it back to your phone and sends the image to your watch to be displayed.

If that's even in the right ballpark then significant lag seem like exactly what I'd expect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

I use IFTTT for minor home automation stuff with Google Home. I say specific phrases and certain lights come on or turn off. There's about a 3-5 second lag between acknowledgment and action which is about right given that it has to go out to the internet to get the applet then back to execute it on the Hue bulbs. It's certainly not great for something you'd want an immediate action on.

My bigger problem with it is you can't set a trigger then have an array of things happen, it's a one-to-one relationship.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use IFTTT for some minor social media things but I think it's pretty cool and want to use it more.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

My bigger problem with it is you can't set a trigger then have an array of things happen, it's a one-to-one relationship.

Look in to zapier

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Look in to zapier

Unfortunately for now it seems it can't do Google Assistant or Hue yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing to be aware of is you can use the same trigger for more than one action. So, while your can't have a 1 to many relationship, you can still use the same phase to kick off more than one action. I have noticed that for Home though it can get unreliable with more than two. But two works reliably. I have mine set to turn on lights and turn on my entertainment center (using hue and harmony) by just saying "I'm home."

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

wolrah posted:

I haven't really messed around with IFTTT but isn't it basically a service for connecting various cloud APIs to each other?

If I'm understanding what you've done correctly you're taking a picture on your phone, the IFTTT app recognizes this and uploads it to the internet (or it's uploaded by some other app and that notifies IFTTT) which then downloads it back to your phone and sends the image to your watch to be displayed.

If that's even in the right ballpark then significant lag seem like exactly what I'd expect.

That's actually a real good point, I just assumed it was processing the image locally but I think it's actually looking at Google photos for a new upload then grabbing the thumbnail link and showing it on the phone.

I've got a couple other actions for weather alerts which are fine, I did notice that I had to block regular app notifications to get it to appear properly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Android Wear 2.0 DP4 has come out and has reverted some things to work more like the current version: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/android-wear-2-0-dev-preview-4-works-more-like-wear-1-0/

Compatibility with 1.0-style bundled apps has been restored, as has swiping back. Bundled apps don't auto-install anymore, now they prompt, and the separate app on the watch store is still the recommended long-term solution.

As usual HWatch and LG Urbane 2nd Edition users who feel like playing around can grab the images here: https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/index.html

I'm going to wait a few days to see if there are any showstoppers, but this seems like they realized where they had gone wrong on DP3 so it might be quite usable.

edit: They also bought another smartwatch company: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/google-acquires-smartwatch-os-startup-cronologics-founded-by-ex-employees/

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google made a post about Android Wear 2.0:
https://android-developers.blogspot.com/2016/12/android-wear-2-0-developer-preview-4-authentication-in-app-billing-and-more.html

Good news! They've walked back their decision to get rid of swipe-to-dismiss and use the hardware button to dismiss instead. The hardware button now maps to "power" instead of "back" once again.

If you have a Huawei Watch or LGE Watch Urbane 2nd Edition you can download a Developer Preview beta if you feel like voiding your warranty.

Edit: welp, I guess I left that compose window open too long.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

Android Wear 2.0 DP4 has come out and has reverted some things to work more like the current version: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/android-wear-2-0-dev-preview-4-works-more-like-wear-1-0/

Compatibility with 1.0-style bundled apps has been restored, as has swiping back. Bundled apps don't auto-install anymore, now they prompt, and the separate app on the watch store is still the recommended long-term solution.

As usual HWatch and LG Urbane 2nd Edition users who feel like playing around can grab the images here: https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/index.html

I'm going to wait a few days to see if there are any showstoppers, but this seems like they realized where they had gone wrong on DP3 so it might be quite usable.

edit: They also bought another smartwatch company: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/google-acquires-smartwatch-os-startup-cronologics-founded-by-ex-employees/

These are all good things, sounds like 2017 will be better than 2016 for AW.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Excellent changes all around, I'm a lot less worried about Wear 2.0 now. I'm glad they restored Wear 1.0 app compatibility to it, I quite like the companion apps just being available rather than having to seek them out (even though the writing's on the wall for that).

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

LastInLine posted:

I use IFTTT for minor home automation stuff with Google Home. I say specific phrases and certain lights come on or turn off. There's about a 3-5 second lag between acknowledgment and action which is about right given that it has to go out to the internet to get the applet then back to execute it on the Hue bulbs. It's certainly not great for something you'd want an immediate action on.

If you want to get really fancy schmancy, you could make IFTTT do something like post to a private Twitter account, with a service you're running yourself on (insert computer-type device here) monitoring that account, and then have it execute chained actions programmatically. Hell of a lot more complicated than IFTTT though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I got bored last night and decided to install Wear 2.0. It's definitely usable now and I think they're headed in the right direction with the app implementation.

I prefer the old style of notifications though, the new ones are huge. Also not a big fan of swiping to change the watch face, I think press-and-hold was perfect for that (which also still works, mostly, breaking if using a face with settings).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Also not a big fan of swiping to change the watch face, I think press-and-hold was perfect for that (which also still works, mostly, breaking if using a face with settings).
I hate this with a passion. It frequently activates by itself because I folded my arms, my watch touched my leg, etc.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Tunga posted:

I hate this with a passion. It frequently activates by itself because I folded my arms, my watch touched my leg, etc.

Pebble 1.0 had a similar thing with the buttons. Was awful as you couldn't remove or disable the default faces.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Horse Clocks posted:

Pebble 1.0 had a similar thing with the buttons. Was awful as you couldn't remove or disable the default faces.

This was the most profoundly stupid design decision for both Pebble and Google to do. Imagine if the phone background worked like that.

e: actually that's a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Verge says the two new watches coming soon won't be branded Pixel: http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/22/14057656/google-smartwatch-android-wear-2-0-launch

quote:

Google will launch two flagship smartwatches early next year

The watches will be the first with Android Wear 2.0

Google will be launching two new flagship smartwatches in the first quarter of next year, according to Jeff Chang, product manager of Android Wear at Google. In an exclusive interview with The Verge, Chang said that the new watches will be the flagship Android Wear 2.0 devices and will be the first ones to launch with the new platform.

The new smartwatches had been rumored before, but Google confirmed the upcoming launch today as part of a larger effort to convince consumers that wearables — smartwatches specifically — are still in demand.

The new models will not have Google or Pixel branding, but will be branded by the company that is manufacturing them. Chang says that Google collaborated with the manufacturer — which he wouldn’t name, but said has produced Android Wear devices in the past — on the hardware design and software integration for the watches. He likened the partnership to Google’s Nexus smartphone program in terms of collaboration and goals

Following the launch of the new devices, existing Android Wear watches will get the update to Android Wear 2.0. The new platform brings a number of new features, including standalone apps that don’t require a phone to work, support for Android Pay, and support for Google’s voice-controlled Assistant, which has already launched on the Pixel smartphones and Home speaker.

Not every existing Android Wear watch will be updated, but Google says most of the recent models will be. Certain features, such as Android Pay, require specific hardware, so not all models will support them. (Chang noted that the LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition has NFC support and the new watches coming next year will have it, as well, but it is not a requirement for Android Wear partners at this time.)

Google will release the fifth and final developer preview of Android Wear 2.0 in January, and it is expected to include support for both Google Assistant and Android Pay (on supported devices) in it. It will also work with iOS devices, and Chang confirmed that while there will be differences between Wear 2.0 on Android and iOS, Android Pay will work on both platforms.

In addition, Chang says that after Google’s flagship watches launch, other partners will release new devices with Android Wear 2.0 throughout 2017. Partner announcements on new devices are expected at both CES in a couple of weeks and the Baselworld trade show later in 2017. The company says it’s committed to supporting and promoting these launches in order to help build awareness in a consumer climate that is becoming increasingly adverse to smartwatches and wearables in general.