Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I got a big laugh out of Nota Infiltrator so I vote for him. And the Archon King is real loving nasty, Jade is lucky he doesn't have to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

zyxophoj posted:

Yes, that is a thing that can happen. And considering the amount of ruler bullshit that happened beforehand, I can't really complain.

One thing the archon king didn't demonstrate is the true bullshit potential of its lifting move. When it picks someone up, that can activate additional pods if the soldier is lifted into their line of sight. Ouch.

"Hey! Get a load of this rear end in a top hat!"

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
I knew what was coming. I just wasn't prepared for it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Green Intern posted:

I have never seen the Archon King do that level of bullshit. What the hell?

For probably obvious reasons I left out the mission summery and mechanics part of post. I'll get to it tonight and edit it in but the core thing here is that if you end your turn with soldiers having unused actions then the rulers get to react to them at the end of your turn. This is kind of finicky because I ended my turn with 5 soldiers having not moved but the ruler was frozen and that resulted in the ruler doing nothing and not even thawing. After it thawed I ended my turn again with five soldiers unmoved and the ruler thawed and that lead to it getting a lot of actions all at once. I wasn't expecting it to take so many drat actions at once because this wasn't a situation I'd ever tested out before. It seems like another Jake brand anti-fun ruler mechanic. Or at least maybe a counter to just skipping turns to get skills to refresh or something. If you got rid of a rulers armor and had a marksman with lightning hands you could theoretically sit next to a ruler and lightning hands it over and over if you could just mash end turn forever.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Man that ending, I feel both pleased to see the archon king get destroyed and annoyed that Jade got off so light since that jerk as been responsible for more of my squad member deaths than any other unit in the game.

Also I do love that the viper armor is basically a Serpentor costume from GI Joe.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Grapplejack posted:

I got a big laugh out of Nota Infiltrator so I vote for him. And the Archon King is real loving nasty, Jade is lucky he doesn't have to deal with it.

My vote also goes to Nota Infiltrator

I also cannot wait until Nuffle comes back to bite you in the rear end due to all that luck you spent on that instakill.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Hey, Jade's legendary dwarf team is loving retiring. This is the least the concepts of luck & fairness can do for him.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Well, screw you too, Jade! :argh:

But, in truth, the Archon King was the one who gave me the least trouble as I only found him after my guys were all equipped with their top gear. Between a Grenadier that could pop two Frost Bombs, a high-crit Plasma shotgun and rather accurate Chain Shots (which I, admittedly, savescummed once because I was sick of the Rulers), I managed to get it to run off quickly and missing about 60-70% of its HP.

Was easily pick off when it next showed up.

The one who gave me the most hell was the Zerker Queen, who first emerged in an VIP rescue mission. She was hiding just behind the van holding the hostage (a scant FOUR spaces for it to huddle in) and only activated when I sent my scout over to get the door. In perfect position to quake all my troops.

I was not a happy camper.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nalesh posted:

My vote also goes to Nota Infiltrator

I should have put in my favorite custom character, then. Meet Chris!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lunethex posted:

Hey, Jade's legendary dwarf team is loving retiring. This is the least the concepts of luck & fairness can do for him.

For reference, in Cyanide's Bloodbowl 2 after a player on a team has been in a little over a hundred games, they'll start getting random chances to retire. This is because Cyanide wanted to curb teams filled with legendary players are morons.

For more information look up another great BB2 addition, the Bank Rule.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Brainamp posted:

For reference, in Cyanide's Bloodbowl 2 after a player on a team has been in a little over a hundred games, they'll start getting random chances to retire. This is because Cyanide wanted to curb teams filled with legendary players are morons.

For more information look up another great BB2 addition, the Bank Rule.

Blood Bowel Bowl 2 is terrible,roger that.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I suppose the R.A.G.E. stands for "Rraaaagh Ahm Gonna Eatchya!".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Soooooooooo what happened?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Aces High posted:

Soooooooooo what happened?

Jade had a Repeater equipped and the 5% chance to insta-kill the target triggered.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Here's a video for Guava, I think he shall enjoy it immensly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDYHMjDj88

Honestly, the end of that video was amazing, From the Hail Mary Repeater to Guava's reaction, I had such a grin on my face.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

DivisionPost posted:

...I don't remember why you guys chose to call him "Gift Horse," and I feel just awful about that, but if we're talking about a new nickname for Siobhan, I think Ciaphas Cain needs a new nickname too. My crappy suggestions:

Regicide (shamelessly stolen from Frionnel)
God Killer
King Shot
Lucky Star

Filthy Lucker

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

To be fair, I didn't understand ruler mechanics until the Berserker Queen the first time I went through the DLC only because the overwatch trap I had set for the Viper King executed him on the first turn. He didn't get any actions beyond coming on screen and then getting blasted.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Come on, Cain's new nickname must obviously be "Bullshot"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think I've figured it out. Ciaphas Cain is an alias. His real name is actually...Tony "Kill Steal" White. And he just dropped a massive "IT WAS ME, AUSTINADVENT!" reveal.

Also, voting for Nota Infiltrator as our new Grenadier, and Ciaphas' new nickname to be "Lucky Sunuvabitch".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ciaphas "Cut it Out" Cain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9Fa2UrDAk

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ciaphas "Five Aces" Cain.

Also I vote we recruit the Jade Star soldier and get him murdered immediately as a tribute to Lady Luck.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I still remember my best execution.

Kiefer "Big Boss" Sutherland, who got recruited toward the end of my first campaign as a colonel Ranger from a scan site, I took him the full stealth-tree perks because Big Boss.

Handed him a shotgun with a repeater on it, and took him into the field.

His first ever *SHOT* of his entire career under my leadership... was to Execute a full-health Sectopod, out of phantom-Concealment. It was *perfect*.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lunethex posted:

Come on, Cain's new nickname must obviously be "Bullshot"

I'm throwing my support behind this.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Gift Horseshit

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Greek Fire was invented by the Byzantines, who considered themselves Romans, so the mission name is historically appropriate.

And if Ciaphas Cain is going to get a new nickname I'd suggest Eversor since it also comes from WH40k and I doubt "Hero of The Imperium" would fit.

Penguin Bacon
Apr 19, 2010
You weren't kidding that episode 22 was going to be something else.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ciaphas "HERO OF THE XCOM" Cain. Or just Hero

Siohban "Trauma Gosling" - since she's a dwarf now.

I am both mad that the Archon didn't get to poo poo all over your team some more (That was even odds of a squad wipe) and happy that you showed off repeaters in all their glory.

Sure they're about as reliable as Going For Its, but when they work, they can solve a lot of trouble.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
ah yes THIS rear end in a top hat, he is deadly as gently caress even in babby mode. Be thankful you didn't roll your first encounter with him on a convoy supply raid. what with all the highly explosive trucks and all. :supaburn:

Edit: and then jade insta-kills it somehow with 100 more HP to go. :suicide:

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 14, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
My first encounter with the Flying oval office happened during a base defence mission. So many casualties.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Twelve Elves posted:

My first encounter with the Flying oval office happened during a base defence mission. So many casualties.

Hey, at least they patched it so that he can't force a game over in turn one on those any more.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My first encounter with that rear end in a top hat was on a hack objective map. Thankfully I had the objective done.

I had a serpent suit, frost bomb with 2 uses, and basically my whole A-Team bedecked in Warden Armor/RAGE/Wraith/Serpent suits with plasma weaponry.

No deaths but it ended with everyone gravely woundedly (2-3 health apiece) and him down about 75 health. Devastate is horseshit.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 14, 2016

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Way back in the thread someone suggested the third Ruler would either be a Jack of Chrysalids or a Sectopod Prince. I imagined the latter as a jet-propelled rocket firing monsterbot with a little crown on its head, but I realised that firstly we'd already seen a boss Sectopod (who was kind of a chump), and secondly that it'd be robotic, which isn't Vahlen's department. And then this thing turned up which was somehow worse than I thought a mega-Sectopod would be.

I'd still like to see a Boss Chrysalid though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheDarkFlame posted:

Way back in the thread someone suggested the third Ruler would either be a Jack of Chrysalids or a Sectopod Prince. I imagined the latter as a jet-propelled rocket firing monsterbot with a little crown on its head, but I realised that firstly we'd already seen a boss Sectopod (who was kind of a chump), and secondly that it'd be robotic, which isn't Vahlen's department. And then this thing turned up which was somehow worse than I thought a mega-Sectopod would be.

I'd still like to see a Boss Chrysalid though.

Sectopod Prime. Instead of elevating legs it turns into a truck.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
As the old saying goes, it's better to be lucky than good. And Jade, I have to congratulate you on that lucky killshot. :allears: I'm honestly happy we didn't have to deal with any more of that dude's bullshit than we saw there, because that looked terminally unfun.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I must have gotten lucky. My first time fighting this guy, he sat on a rooftop the entire time and we had a long distance sniper battle which eventually resulted in him retreating. He didn't even use any abilities outside of 'shoot' and 'reload.'

The second time was pretty bs though, he picked my grenadier up from the other side of a wall and carted her into the air. Except apparently because he was on the other side of a wall, nobody could see him to shoot at him so she was just standing in midair like nothing was wrong and I just had to grit my teeth and deal with the damage. He then set of devastation a couple actions later, but died before the grenades could land... leaving glowing marks on the ground and absolutely no explosions for the rest of the mission. I was able to mop up the last archon and get out of there without explosions.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
In my first playthrough, I encountered this guy before I had actually killed the Berserker Queen. I had a bit of a panic attack thinking that I had permanently missed my chance at killing the Queen, but she returned once I had killed the Archon King.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Long Live the Arch-King!
Suddenly a repeater
The Arch-king is dead!

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 14, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Really
Angry
Guy/Girl
Enabler

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Was no one, not even the guy who got slammed into the ground, shaken? That's quite impressive on top of everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

sincx posted:

Was no one, not even the guy who got slammed into the ground, shaken? That's quite impressive on top of everything else.

I think soldiers can only get shaken once and all of them had already shook it off.

• Locked thread