Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

In fairness, this is pretty reflective of Strange in the comics. Half of the stuff Dr. Strange gets up to on his own time boils down to "I know this spell is forbidden, but I really need it to stop the <current threat>" *unleashes massive curse upon his enemy, starts shooting tar out of his eyes, accidentally lets an elder god creep into Manhattan*

Like, the first thing he does in his new book is get extremely frisky with a demonic worm queen because he's just magical Tony Stark.

Yeah Doctor Strange is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

haveblue posted:

There are so drat many MCU movies that some of them are going to be good just through pure luck.

This is sort of Disney's new strategy, is to acquire properties and milk the hell out of them, but it does also involve giving a lot more creative leeway to writers than during the Eisner years. Iger's idea is basically "Hand popular properties to popular writers, directors and actors, and see what shakes loose," so there is less of a "Disney formula" to movies than there used to be. What people are witnessing is more the general Hollywood blockbuster formula, and at least there are going to be one or two films that break the mold.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

haveblue posted:

I liked Doctor Strange for the imagination it managed to shove into the cracks in the formula. The hospital ghost fight was great and the final battle in the street re-assembling itself as time runs backward was unlike anything I can remember seeing. It's not high art but I don't regret those two hours.

There are so drat many MCU movies that some of them are going to be good just through pure luck. Guardians 2 is probably my most anticipated movie of next year.

Yeah I also thought doctor strange was better than the average movie with that formula for the same reasons. It at least got a little creative with it instead of just being "look at these cgi buildings blow up! oooh! BANG CRASH KAPOW!"

Which leads into my other old man complaint: too much goddamn cgi. Cgi looking relatively realistic has led to a glut of over the top destruction. Jurassic park (the original) redefined special effects but it was confined to one trex attacking one group of people. It felt impressive but personal.

Meanwhile fantastic beasts has half of new York get blown to poo poo just because

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 13, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

Which leads into my other old man complaint: too much goddamn cgi. Cgi looking relatively realistic has led to a glut of over the top destruction. Jurassic park (the original) redefined special effects but it was confined to one trex attacking one group of people. It felt impressive but personal.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna sound like a grognard but CG still feels entirely "weightless" and my mind just processes it as "fake." Obviously it has its place and can achieve what practical effects can't, but I usually prefer to see it used sparingly, see Mad Max or (weirdly) the Fast and the Furious movies.

I also probably sound like a gorehound, but most big budget blockbuster fight scenes don't really do it for me anymore (though the Cap Am movies have decent fisticuffs); I prefer the bloodbaths of John Wick or the real, sudden violence of Green Room.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I'm probably gonna sound like a grognard but CG still feels entirely "weightless" and my mind just processes it as "fake." Obviously it has its place and can achieve what practical effects can't, but I usually prefer to see it used sparingly, see Mad Max or (weirdly) the Fast and the Furious movies.

There's a reason why practical effects age better than CG. Maybe the best example I can think of is the Lord of the Rings movies versus the Hobbit movies. The LotR trilogy still looks fantastic, while the Hobbit movies looked plastic and weightless right from the start.

The nicest thing I can say about Star Wars VII is that its heavier reliance on practical effects means it actually looks really good and will continue to do so, while the prequel trilogy looks extremely bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In terms of fight scenes, I either prefer for them to be quick and brutal and make me cringe (and to be used in an appropriate context), or for them to be an elegant dance in which there is very little sense of danger or violence. The fights were the only part of the Netflix Daredevil that I liked, because they were choreographed pretty darn well.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Captain Invictus posted:

Illbleed is one of the best surreal video games ever made. It's a real shame what happened to the creator of it.

Late reply to Illbleed but I have only watched the LP of it and that at least was a beautifully surreal experience. Illbleed is a really vivid recreation of what being in a nightmare is like because everything is dumb but very unsettling and has a dream approach to reality where it just arbitrarily changes what is "real" and what is "simulation" in a way that is brilliantly unnerving. When you enter the theme park, each level is a theme park attraction, but as soon as you enter them it's treated as the same level of reality as the actual game... until it isn't, because you find some fake animatronic, and then it'll try to kill you anyway and just throw you off again as to what "real" is. You're constantly trying to make sense of the situation and it constantly moves the bar as to how real the thing you're experiencing is, and it's hilarious and creepy and beautiful. It's a work of art (that is apparently terrible to actually play :shrug:). Shinya Nishigaki was taken too soon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Space ww2 is Gundam and Gundam is very good.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlJ5j-hSUmQ

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 13, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
A movie can sink in or float on CG effects depending how they're used. You can't go totally hog wild; the movie has to feel at least a little grounded for all of the crazy-rear end explosions and poo poo to mean anything. You can only stretch the suspension of disbelief so far before it breaks and you're like "this movie about transforming robots blowing up a major city is pretty boring huh" "yawwwwnn this loving action scene has been going on for a half hour; this is unbearable!"

Pacific Rim is also sorta a movie about Giant Robots Blowing Up City but everything is done better. A lot more practical effects were used in the production, the robots are heavily designed and actually had a sorta quasi-realistic internal mechanical design going so everything looks a little more consistent. There are rules to how things look and move- everything feels heavy and huge. When something gets punched by a giant robot in the movie it is an event.

Maybe not the best example but the takeaway here is you can't just throw a bunch of brightly colored flashing lights and noise on a screen and expect it to look any drat good if it means nothing; there are no rules to the motion.

Maybe I just really liked Pacific Rim and am trying to justify liking a pow bang robot punching movie I dunno

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

In terms of fight scenes, I either prefer for them to be quick and brutal and make me cringe (and to be used in an appropriate context), or for them to be an elegant dance in which there is very little sense of danger or violence. The fights were the only part of the Netflix Daredevil that I liked, because they were choreographed pretty darn well.

Fight scenes should be about the characters in them and should convey the tone of the conflict. When you try to make a fight scene "just for the action", you get nothing. In The Phantom Menace, when Obiwan and Quigon fight Darth Maul, it's three people who have no character fighting for no reason except that the plot declares them enemies. Their characters aren't developed enough to inform the fight sequence, and the fight sequence is so sterile it doesn't communicate anything about the characters.

I feel pretty similarly about some of the fight scenes in Doctor Strange. The first action sequence with The Ancient One, we don't know who any of the people involved are, and it's just kind of a flashy fight with no substance. However, this same film has two good sequences that do a good job: When Mads Mikkelsen shows up and starts murdering people with his "glass blade" or whatever, it communicates something about him as a character. Likewise, when Strange does his little trick against the big bad at the end, it harkens back to his problem-solver attitude and reminds us that he is more of a thinking man than martial artist.

My taste is pretty similar to yours. I prefer violence that doesn't shy away from the fact that violence is brutal and not neat, or violence that is a language between the characters. For the first, you have things like A History of Violence, or American Ultra. while for the second you have like, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, or Chronicles of Riddick.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 13, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pacific Rim is super good even though one of the big scenes is the big robot flying the bad monster into space and pulling out a huge robot sword from nowhere that hadn't been mentioned, and fighting the monster with the sword. It lets the story part of it be about the characters and just enjoys the hell out of its huge CG Monster v. Robot battles. They're stylized and look really pretty, like a sparkly Final Fantasy battle that's had a ton of effort and money put into it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The movie industry leaning more and more into tent pole blockbusters isn't nearly as big a deal as it could be because television is so great now. Like, at no point during Stranger Things did I think "gee, this would be so much better if it was a quarter as long and cost three times as much to make"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mostly agree, Snak, but honestly, I never connected or clicked with any of the Daredevil characters, but I liked watching them fight. It was like a little ballet in the middle of a terribly drawn out Batman Begins with a lackluster villain that for some reason everyone besides me likes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pacific Rim didn't do much for me bc it felt like a Hollywood film heavily styled like anime without any of the unusual visuals or themes that make anime interesting, and I'm not even a anime dude

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

wizard on a water slide posted:

Pacific Rim didn't do much for me bc it felt like a Hollywood film heavily styled like anime without any of the unusual visuals or themes that make anime interesting, and I'm not even a anime dude

You better start taking your shoes off indoors and calling people by their last name because you're totally an anime dude.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

The movie industry leaning more and more into tent pole blockbusters isn't nearly as big a deal as it could be because television is so great now. Like, at no point during Stranger Things did I think "gee, this would be so much better if it was a quarter as long and cost three times as much to make"

This is true. I'm really hoping the new David Simon show comes out soon, Black Mirror is still doing its thing, Westworld is probably going to have a great second season and yeah, Stranger Things, Luke Cage and a couple of other shows really did a great job this year.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Pacific Rim is super good even though one of the big scenes is the big robot flying the bad monster into space and pulling out a huge robot sword from nowhere that hadn't been mentioned, and fighting the monster with the sword. It lets the story part of it be about the characters and just enjoys the hell out of its huge CG Monster v. Robot battles. They're stylized and look really pretty, like a sparkly Final Fantasy battle that's had a ton of effort and money put into it.

Pacific Rim fights were also pretty low on visual noise as well, as I recall. A lot of cg fights try to cram in a bunch of motion or other things that can make them hard to follow.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

You better start taking your shoes off indoors and calling people by their last name because you're totally an anime dude.

I hope I'm at least a pretty one.

chumbler posted:

Pacific Rim fights were also pretty low on visual noise as well, as I recall. A lot of cg fights try to cram in a bunch of motion or other things that can make them hard to follow.

Dude holy poo poo is the dogfight sequence in the new Independence Day terrrrrible about that

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Hideaki Anno should have everything to do with Pacific Rim 2 (but he won't). Shin Godzilla was magnificent, and that was in no small part thanks to him. I felt Evangelion vibes from it even after completely forgetting he was involved prior to watching it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

chumbler posted:

Yeah, they were usually slow, like they were underwater, even when they weren't, sort of capturing that old Godzilla v. Megalon feel with shiny, new updated visuals.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chumbler posted:

del Toro is a great director and an almost unparalleled visual designer. I just wish they'd stop letting him write things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

It's a movie that knows it's total nonsense and leans into it so that we can all have a ton of fun with the nonsense. It's fantastic and I love it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

It's a movie that knows it's total nonsense and leans into it so that we can all have a ton of fun with the nonsense. It's fantastic and I love it.

But what's important is that it doesn't play itself off as camp or wink at the camera while it does it. Like they have Idris loving Elba as the grizzled general.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cherno Alpha shouldn't have chumped out like that, though :colbert:.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

I mostly agree, Snak, but honestly, I never connected or clicked with any of the Daredevil characters, but I liked watching them fight. It was like a little ballet in the middle of a terribly drawn out Batman Begins with a lackluster villain that for some reason everyone besides me likes.

Yeah, there are about 4 good eps of Daredevil. But what I mean is, Daredevil's fighting conveys anger. It conveys rage. And exhaustion. The choreography embodies this idea of a angry dude who you can't put down and he will keep getting back up and hitting people as hard as he can. Even if you don't connect with the character outside of the fight, there is character to the fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

But what's important is that it doesn't play itself off as camp or wink at the camera while it does it. Like they have Idris loving Elba as the grizzled general.

Oh, for sure. The fastest way for something camp to lose all of its charm is to be too self-aware and wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chumbler posted:

Cherno Alpha shouldn't have chumped out like that, though :colbert:.

:agreed: :ussr:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Edit: But yeah this ain't the thread for that talk.

I think it is! And the last couple pages agree. This thread should be more of a general chat for games posters than strictly chat about games, imo

Also everyone go watch the hammer fight from Oldboy if you haven't seen it already

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah, there are about 4 good eps of Daredevil. But what I mean is, Daredevil's fighting conveys anger. It conveys rage. And exhaustion. The choreography embodies this idea of a angry dude who you can't put down and he will keep getting back up and hitting people as hard as he can. Even if you don't connect with the character outside of the fight, there is character to the fights.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Part of what makes Luke Cage so interesting in the first 3/4s is how he just stands there impressively, staring people down, before he starts to toss them around. I think it sort of degrades to normal superhero crap once Diamondback shows up and they have big Matrix-y battles.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Looper posted:

I think it is! And the last couple pages agree. This thread should be more of a general chat for games posters than strictly chat about games, imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

All chat threads are going to drift at some point to talk about movies, work, TV, or what everyone is having for lunch and dinner. It's okay to take a break and talk about what kind o' beers you like to drink while playing your Nintendo Wii U or Sony Playstation 4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looper posted:

Also everyone go watch the hammer fight from Oldboy if you haven't seen it already

The knife v. baton fight from Sha Po Lang is another good one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Part of what makes Luke Cage so interesting in the first 3/4s is how he just stands there impressively, staring people down, before he starts to toss them around. I think it sort of degrades to normal superhero crap once Diamondback shows up and they have big Matrix-y battles.

i watched the first 3 eps of Luke Cage, and enjoyed them. But I just... never kept watching it. I feel pretty okay about it, because my opinion can pretty much only go down.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My huge television mistake was watching The Wire all at once when I was sick, because even The Sopranos seemed so bad by comparison that it became hard to binge watch it. I've been cleansing my palette with MST3K, because the terrible movies help to sort of reset my media equilibrium. It's still hard to binge The Sopranos, though. Tony's depression sort of starts to rub off on you.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bicyclops posted:

All chat threads are going to drift at some point to talk about movies, work, TV, or what everyone is having for lunch and dinner. It's okay to take a break and talk about what kind o' beers you like to drink while playing your Nintendo Wii U or Sony Playstation 4.

my beer of choice is asahi dry or coors light if im feeling cheap

e: heineken on occasion too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I just think it's kind if silly for people to feel "oh whoops not talking about games enough!"

Also I prefer cider to beer

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My wife prefers cider, but it's the only type of alcohol I have difficulty liking. There's a nice place in London at one of the tube stations where they have a craft beer place (owned by the same folks, obviously) across from a craft cider place, and we were worried about getting a seat because the beer place was really crowded, but when we walked across to the cider place to get those, we discovered it was basically completely abandoned, so we sat there and drank our beers, lol.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

boy are my arms tired posted:

my beer of choice is asahi dry or coors light if im feeling cheap

e: heineken on occasion too

Asahi is a good beer.

My game beer of choice is Alexander Keith's. I'm a simple man.

I tend to like playing complicated games while tipsy though for some reason. Maybe because of heightened confidence. I am very bad at Drunk Age of Empires and Drunk Stronghold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My cheap beer of choice is Busch Light. It tastes way better than Bud Light, and I can get a 12 pack for less than $9.

My expensive beer of choice is Old Rasputin.

• Locked thread